New to town!

Hello there everyone! I was so happy to have found this forum. Hackettstown will be my new home and there are so many questions i do not know! Could anyone give me a walk through to what living in Hackettstown is like? Along with main things i should know for example garbage pickup. I appreciate all your help in Advance!

Monique Monique
Aug '19

Welcome! First thing is do you really live in Hackettstown? You may have a Hackettstown mailing address but live in Mansfield Twp, Independence Twp, Washington Twp(Morris County). That is very important before questions about garbage or schools or libraries can be answered.

whocares whocares
Aug '19

Great point, who cares. One guy on another forum insisted he lived in Hackettstown because he was right next to the "HackettstownHome Depot" in Mansfield Village! LOL

Deviljet
Aug '19

Garbage collection is not included in your Hackettstown taxes. As such you will need to contract your own collection. For most of us that means garbage on Monday morning, Recycling on alternate Thursday mornings. Really depends on who you contract with (or who your landlord contracts with).

Agust Agust
Aug '19

Enjoy Hackettstown it’s becoming a really nice restaurant town I’ve lived in long valley or Hackettstown my whole life and I’ll never leave

Thank you all for your replies! I am in Hackettstown not mansfield or washington township. Any suggestions on who to contract for garbage disposal? Where i used to live it was all included in our taxes so this is all new to me! Anything else i should be aware of?

Monique Monique
Aug '19

When I lived in Hackettstown I used Sanico for garbage and recycling collection.

https://sanicoinc.com/

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '19

You can also check with Waste Management or LMR:
https://www.wm.com/us/en/services/scheduled-pickup/residential-curbside-pickup

https://www.lmrdisposal.com/residential-services/

The town website has some good info too (although I didn’t see anything about trash pickup):
http://www.hackettstown.net/community

justintime justintime
Aug '19

Welcome to Hackettstown!!!!!

MomaoFGirZrule MomaoFGirZrule
Aug '19

Welcome to Hackettstown, it's a great place to live! This HL forum has a few um, people who are very passionate about their opinions, but if you ignore that it's also a great source for local info about new restaurants, service providers and town events.

LMR, Sanico and WM are the big 3 for garbage collection. Info below is from when I last researched, but you should verify in case things have changed. Any of these will drop of their branded cans for your use.

Sanico had the lowest price by a few $, and if you have a small family they offer a smaller can option for a lower price. Recycle pick up same day as trash, every other week. Payment is quarterly.

WM has recycle pick up on a different day of the week from trash pick up. Last time I checked payment was quarterly.

LMR has trash and recycle pick up on the same day, every week. Payment is every other month.

You should also know that Hackettstown has a town clean up twice a year, spring and fall to get rid of larger items. You have to bring them to the Miller St fire house.
There is also brush chipping etc. Check out the schedule of events here- http://www.hackettstown.net/public-works

hktownie hktownie
Aug '19

Omg burgers, long valley brew pub, Chesapeake tavern, James on main, Stella G’s, pandan room, tap house, Churrascaría, pub 517 are great places to eat.

Ort farm, Stoney hill farm, Alstede farm, Donaldson’s farm are awesome.

Sussex county, warren county fair are cool.

You have to go to cliffs ice cream, end of story.

WMgt is quarterly. Most of these guys will match the lowest price you find. WMgt lowered theirs for me based on the HL garbage thread (that's thread about garbage, not a thread that is garbage :>)

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/893436

Enjoy. Check out the breweries and the restaurants --- we really do have a fine crop at present including I believe the top spot in Warren County, if that's a goal to aspire to :>). Plenty of conversation about that here as well.

WARNING: don't read the pizza thread. Apparently it's a topic where everyone has a different perspective. Guess that's why there is a shop on each and every corner.....and in between....

There's plenty of parking in the town lots behind the stores on Main. Should be signage directing you.

And immediately go to Tracey's candy shop halfway down on Main. Comfort food is good when new to the neighborhood. Best Fruit Stand just up the hill on 46, West side of town. The peaches are beyond exceptional this year. And so is Bob. Watch the parking, a little gnarly.

Also --- bring a quarter if you go to shop groceries at Shoprite. Need it for the cart.

Centenary College has a great theatre. Some music too. Theater is better than community, often almost off-Broadway, easy access.

Welcome......and enjoy.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '19

Most of all, just about all of these topics and all the others you haven't brought up are right here on HL. Just go to the top of the Forum page and use the "Search The Forum.." box. Then click Go!

The other two resources you should know are the town website which has been listed already. But also the "BID" web site will give you the list of all the great local businesses and events:

https://hackettstownbid.com/

We have so many good places to eat, half of the good ones haven't even been mentioned yet. Toscana, Topo, Sizzle, Soup on Main, Enjoy Creperie, Monchy's, Main Street Cafe, Ashley's. It's not my kind of food but Fujiyama is another local place.

LMR does one month free if you pay the year in full. They end up being the cheapest and they also have a smaller can option as well.

Food is great in town - a ton of different options!!

If you are single, this town sucks. Not much going on, and def not a meeting ground.

High taxes, for what, I have yet to figure out.

ShopRite sucks, well I should say the parking lot sucks. Wish we had another option (outside of Weis) to food shop, and I wish we had something on the other side of town. For anyone on the PV/M&M side of town, it takes a year and a day to go food shopping - forget about it if you realize you forgot something you really need.

DancerLife
Aug '19

"We have so many good places to eat, half of the good ones haven't even been mentioned yet. Toscana, Topo, Sizzle, Soup on Main, Enjoy Creperie, Monchy's, Main Street Cafe, Ashley's."

Ashley's closed sometime around the first of the year. Something new is in there now, I think similar cuisine (Latin American). I'm not sure what the new name of it is, but I saw the Grand Opening banner out front a week or two ago.

Monty Monty
Aug '19

So basically food, booze and garbage disposal. All of your basic human needs..

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Aug '19

Except a stripper club

Bug3
Aug '19

Coco nails
Maria Bonita's
Toscana
James on Main
Turning heads hair studio
Gaza sushi

Grace Grace
Aug '19

Main St. cafe is good also.

Doctor's Park - Riverfront Park -Alumni Field - all connected - for walking
Ice cream at Tranquility Farm

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '19

for live music...

Tap House has acoustic duos and bands on weekends, so does Bea McNally's, Marley's does too but I'm not sure how often? Panther Pub has music 3-4 nights I week I think. There's also Stanhope House 15-20 minutes away (in Stanhope).

We have 3 breweries in town: Man Skirt (my favorite), Czigmeister, and Jersey Girl which is technically in Budd Lake, but it's just up the hill (going east on Rt 46) from Target.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '19

New to town?
Take a walk!
GREAT PARKS in the area.
IMHO one of the real draws of living here.
Stephen’s State Park off of Willow Grove- further up- Morris Canal waterfall and Waterloo Village.
Hacklebarney State Park on the other side of Chester-worth the drive.
Morris County Park on top of Schooley’s Mountain.
Old abandoned RR row off of Waterloo Road.
Tons of lakes.
Delaware National Park and Worthington State Forest.
Two reservoirs with extensive parkland—-all within 45 minute drive.
And I’ve left out a ton.
Great, great area to spend time outside.

Stymie Stymie
Aug '19

Woww! So many replies! Such a warm welcome! Thank you everyone i appreciate it

Monique Monique
Aug '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.