Hackettstown FID and pistol permit

Does anyone knw what the average wait time is in Hackettstown for an FID / pistol permit?

Chris S Chris S
Oct '22

Probably 4-6 Weeks

Ziggy Ziggy
Oct '22

Would independence township be similar? This would be my first FID card as I grew up in New York State.

Consigliere
Oct '22

Getting a permit has nothing to do with Hackettstown it’s a State of new Jersey thing.mine took 3 months

Hadenough Hadenough
Oct '22

“Getting a permit has nothing to do with Hackettstown it’s a State of new Jersey thing.”

It’s still handled through your local PD (if you have one, otherwise the state police), so some towns drag their feet. I think the law says they have 30 days to approve/deny, but there are never any penalties if they don’t.

Hackettstown certainly isn’t the worst town by a long shot, but I’d still expect about a month and maybe have to call/ask a time or two for updates.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '22

The pistol permits are all electronic now. I had applied for one and was never notified that it was active/approved until I called. So keep that in mind as the permits are only good for 90 days.

My first pistol permit, with FID application, took about 6 weeks in 2020. A second permit this summer was about 3 weeks, since my fingerprints were already on file. I recently applied for conceal carry permit. No telling how long that might be, since it has to be sent to the court for judge's approval. Also have to get fingerprinted again for that. Any notifications about permit status were sent by email.

Im curious if you get the conceal carry Paul since NJ is notorious for never handing those out

MakoMiller1984 MakoMiller1984
Oct '22

The Supreme Court Bruen decision forced NJ to remove the “good cause” hurdle for carry permits, so it’s (technically) shall issue now, but I think there are still a lot of gray areas for what training satisfies the requirements, etc.

Also, it’s still very restrictive in the sense that you can only carry the specific firearm you qualify with, and have to renew/re-train very frequently. I’m sure they’ll also try what NY did and claim everywhere is a “sensitive place”.

Probably won’t have much state reciprocity either (since NJ recognizes few, if any, other state permits, those other states won’t honor NJ permits).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '22

It’s definitely handled through your town and yes they can drag their feet. The NJSP do the background check and if you don’t have township PD you would than go through NJSP in full.

Steve S Steve S
Oct '22

Does anyone know if I need to get my FID card first and then wait to get a pistol permit? Or can I get them both in one go? I looked at a few different sources online and I’m more confused now then when I started looking.

Consigliere
Oct '22

Re: Hackettstown FID and pistol permit

Pretty sure you can request them all together. I believe there's a 3 permit (at a time) limit and they are good for 90 days.

At least when it was paper based, you'd just "check" both the FID and permit boxes on the form (and of course the appropriate fees for everything together).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '22

I got both FID and pp at the same time. Just note you only have 90 days after you get your pp to make a purchase.

Sacks cousin
Oct '22

"90 days after you get your pp to make a purchase"

Not just make the purchase (as in order a handgun if it's not in stock), you have to actually complete the final transfer from the FFL to you in that time frame. So if there's something with a really long lead time you have to coordinate when to "buy" it and when to get the pistol permit in hand to pick it up. (The permit is "used" when the 4473 gets filled out, which occurs during the transfer.)

I would think (hope) a decent shop would A) let you order/pay for the gun ahead of time, even without a permit and B) hold it for you if you're waiting a few extra days for the permit to come through.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '22

Wow, great info thank you. I guess I’ll finally go to the town police station and start the paperwork. Something just feels so wrong with getting fingerprinted in order to access my inalienable right as a US citizen. But I guess that’s a topic for a different thread.

Consigliere
Oct '22

Actually no need to go to police station. It can all be done online.

Back in 1966 my Dad gave me a Marlin 22 rifle for target practice. I still have it. Him and I had to go to the police station to get some sort of permit for this single shot 22 caliber rifle. The difference between New Jersey and most other states is stark.

I remember my Mom calling Hart's to give permission to sell me boxes of .22 rimfire when I was 12..It was $0.99 for a box of fifty long rifle's.

One-eyed Poacher One-eyed Poacher
Oct '22

Bill, don't tell me about NJ. Relatives in Wyoming don't have any of this baloney...

I guess I should have gotten off my butt back in October. Apparently there is a new law that newly issued FID cards expire every 10 years. Back in October (when I wrote the above) I looked into the process of getting the FID and was a bit confused as to the process. I guess I’ll dig in now and decipher the clumsily-written state websites instructions. If anyone could break down the steps to getting my first FID in layman’s terms it would be appreciated!

Consigliere
Mar '23

Consigliere. My advice if you live in hackettstown go directly to the police department. They should guide you to exactly what your supposed to do.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '23

Look is like you can apply online now (except for sending/dropping off the fees to the PD).

https://hackettstownpd.net/firearms-applications

(Also, dang they raised the prices a lot on these FID/permit applications!)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '23

Just looked this up and according to the law, your FID card once issued is good indefinitely. So I would check with the Police just to be sure.

Under current law, a firearms purchaser identification card is valid indefinitely, unless the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities that disqualify a person for firearms ownership.

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
Mar '23

Has anyone recently applied for a Purchase Permit? If so when did you apply and how long did it take?

HTown HTown
Mar '23

Auntiel, I’m in Independence. I guess I’ll fill out everything I can online and stop by the Indy PD for fingerprinting. That’s still a thing right? Needing prints taken for an FID?

Consigliere
Mar '23

Fingerprinting is done digitally these days and not at a PD. Usually through an Identogo location.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '23

Consigliere- Pd do not do fingerprints. Calico is right, there digital now. The closest place is Clinton NJ

auntiel auntiel
Mar '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Hackettstown FID and pistol permit
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.