PrimoHoagies

Saw a sign for this place - guess it's going into Piggy's location...

https://www.primohoagies.com/

Or as y'all would call it up here, PrimoSubs!

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Oct '21

Jersey Mike's all the way!!! All their subs are great...even their GF bread is amazing!!

A philly chain. An institution down there. Very good. And yes they are HOAGIES! Go Eagles!!!!!

Seppie Seppie
Oct '21

Great, another chain restaurant. Another overpriced sub chain like jersey mikes lol

itsiswhatitis
Oct '21

Excellent sandwiches and a million times better than Jersey Mike’s

Hadenough Hadenough
Oct '21

The bread is what makes a sandwich. Mike's sandwiches are good but overpriced. Sub shack has always been our place but now the grove has been renewed . We just need a good cheese steak.

Pookietoo Pookietoo
Oct '21

Jersey Mike's is good, not cheap but fair given the quality ingredients. Looking forward to trying PrimoHoagies.

Not a fan of Jersey Mike's. I don't like the generic, no name, meat and cheese they put on their subs. According to the company website they use Thumann's Meats so it sounds promising.

Stay Woke
Oct '21

Great another chain food store. I guess it will last longer than the non chain pho place that looks ready to board up.

Steve Steve
Oct '21

Primo Hoagies is outstanding! I used to go to one in Ewing, NJ several times a week. It's a real Italian deli and the hoagies are amazing!

Don Keydick Don Keydick
Oct '21

Hey - you have to go where you competition is at and go head to head....imo
Think Mike's is much larger in scale franchise...

Never had Primo's but they have 5 different kinds of Italian subs...so that's seems legit to me and I miss Piggy's so I would have eventually walked in the place and bought something.

Peace out

Jersey Mikes is Ok. Really only a step up in quality above Subway. Primo looks to be a step above that. Will give it a try but will still take a good ol’ homegrown Jersey sub place any day of the week before any of these chains. And yes de bring back Piggies.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '21

Jersey Mikes is expensive, not very large for l/2 sub and not worth the drive. Can't beat SUB SHACK but watch the time. They close ealy often.

Bernie Bernie
Oct '21

Sub shack is good but the fact that they don’t accept credit cards has kept me from going there probably a dozen times. I’ll be out and about and decide to pick up some dinner or lunch for the family. The thought of sub shack goes through my mind but I rarely carry cash so the thought quickly passes and I end up going to one of the 20 other food options that do accept credit.

Consigliere
Oct '21

They are also putting in a Premio Hoagies by the Rockaway Mall.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '21

Consigliere, Subshack has an atm righ inside the shop - I rarely carry cash too, but I can easily withdraw right there....

rleaf rleaf
Oct '21

Who wants to pay atm fees....

Metsman Metsman
Oct '21

Subshack is also on Door Dash now.

Weather Buff
Oct '21

Just saw the sign today. Great sandwiches!

NJDad NJDad
Dec '21

Subshack still doesn't take credit cards..I just called and asked..so no doordash...but I also saw them listed...not sure how that will work

Bug3
Dec '21

Sub Shack does Door Dash.. pick up or have it delivered.

Jersey Mike's are way too expensive for the quality and amount of filling.
Subshack is terrific - great bread, good quality and plenty of fillings - and the price is very good.

rleaf rleaf
Dec '21

It's a bit further but sandwiches unlimited in Roxbury/ledgewood has kick ass sammiches! We got 5 subs cut up for a party last week, great food fair price and they gave us mustard oil/vinegar and mayo in to-go containers

itiswhatitis
Dec '21

Any update on when this primo location will open? I keep checking online and while it’s listed on Bing as “open” their website says the closest location is rockaway.

Consigliere
Apr '22

Hope they’re good, ranked #1here
https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2022/04/all-16-major-sandwich-chains-in-nj-ranked-from-worst-to-best.html?outputType=amp

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '22

Re: PrimoHoagies

Here’s a screenshot from Google. Looks like they’ll open April 26th. Based on local reviews of other locations, it looks “iffy”

Local Gal Local Gal
Apr '22

Looks good, looks like an alternative to Jersey Mikes.

Roywhite, nice article. I am looking forward to Primo's opening. Did you notice that they are the only store that listed what kind of meat they use? The article said Thumann's which I think it pretty good, especially when compared to the other places (Wawa, QC, Jersey Mikes) that all use mystery meat.

stay woke
Apr '22

Just Googled Primo's, looks like a July 1st opening now.

only one truth only one truth
Apr '22

I don't think they are coming - the signs are all down and it looks like for rent sign is back up.

de

I wonder if that may have something to do with the death of the founder of Primo Hoagies recently (May 5th), or if they found a more suitable location nearby. Their Facebook page still says "Under construction, coming soon," by the way:

https://www.facebook.com/PrimoHoagies-106704108447598

He was only 65, and apparently was definitely a "Primo" guy who really cared about his family and the community:

https://www.inquirer.com/news/richard-neigre-primos-hoagies-obituary-20220507.html

Phil D. Phil D.
May '22

de,

I think Primos is still coming. They only rented half of the old Piggies space. I think the for rent sign is for the other half.

Stay woke
May '22

Probably not It's a franchise with many locations so probably more an issue with franchisee. I poked my head in a few months ago cause was looking forward to it and they did some work in there but not recently and they took all signs down. It'not comingd. Imo. Think there is 1 at the Rockaway mall.

Spoke to a future employee, opens end of month. We’ll see.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '22

Roywhite

Thanks, I'm hoping so. I'll definitely give them a try.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '22

Opening pushed to the 21st

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '22

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/western-newjersey/hackettstown-primohoagies-to-give-free-hoagies-to-first-100-customers-on-grand-opening-day/article_eb1db9ea-ecb3-11ec-980c-cb8c37164bd1.html

Free Hoagies

Bug3
Jun '22

Roywhite,

That's my birthday, hopefully I can score a free hoagie. By the way, thanks for your solid play in left field for all those years. :-)

Jun '22

Hope you got your “birthday” hoagie, only one truth.
Got my free hoagie …. mixed review.

emerald
Jun '22

Emerald,

Yup, sure did, and it was EXCELLENT!

No complaints at all. Not only was it free, it was a 9 incher, which is the middle sized sandwich...very generous.

But that wasn't all. Many of us also received a 15.00 gift card!

Now, free is one thing, but if the product is sub standard, then free doesn't mean much. Well, in this case "free" was exceptional.

The meats are not only fresh, but they are stacked high, and the spices on the sandwich I chose were just right.

But the primary reason this sandwich shop is top notch, the bread.

It's baguette bread folks, fresh, crunchy and delicious. I know of no other chain sandwich shop that offers this top shelf bread, and frankly most private shops don't supply this kind of bread either. You would have to go to a traditional Italian deli to get the same.

No need now. Primo has got it covered.

Quite simply...the best sandwich shop in Hackettstown, and I've been to them all.

Jun '22

Wow! That is quite the review. I'm glad to hear you liked it. Clearly a visit is in order!

Greg,

I'd be shocked if you, or anybody, was disappointed.

I grew up in an Italian household. As far as sandwiches go, I'm hard to satisfy, especially where the bread is concerned.

This place did not disappoint. You'll love it, but only if you appreciate quality bread and ingredients.

Jun '22

Only One Truth, I agree, the bread is the most important part of a hoagie. That and if I ever catch anyone putting mayonnaise on mine, I will cut them. LOL

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '22

3wbdwnj

Mayo, argh! I agree, unless it's part of tuna or chicken salad, in which case none on the bread. What's in the filling is more than enough!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '22

I don't know 3wbdwnj we may be in a knife fight! LOL If I'm having a roast beef sub some mayo or horseradish cream is a must. I agree however an Italian sub or similar does not get mayo.

As an aside, the ONLY mayo is the Blue Ribbon quality of Hellmann's.

Agree Greg, roast beef is the one exception to the no-mayo rule, and perhaps a BLT.

Anyway, it looks like I'll be needing to burn more calories than usual with these guys in town. I'm planning on trying everything on their menu.

Jun '22

only one truth -
Glad your meats were “stacked high”. Wish I could say the same for the ‘Nonna’s Veggie’.
It only had 1 very thin slice of eggplant and 1 slice of cheese.
:(

emerald
Jun '22

Hmm, I'm actually kind of surprised to hear that, being that meats most certainly are more expensive than vegetables.

I had one of the spicy (Diablo) sandwiches with roast beef, turkey and cheese. It was loaded with the stuff.

Ironically, I'm one of the rare eggplant hating Italians on the planet, so the sandwich you got would never pass my lips.

Keep in mind the employees are just getting their sandwich making legs, maybe he/she mistakenly skimped on yours.

Jun '22

I would hope it was a mistake. I’ll wait to hear other people’s experience with the Nonna’s Veggie before I buy it. At $12 with tax I would expect more than a mound of broccoli rabe. This hoagie would be a nice choice instead of the usual eggplant parmesan sandwich pizza shops offer.

emerald
Jun '22

I've been to the Rockaway primo and the Abruzzi is my fav, thinly sliced pork, broccolirabe (sp?) and sharp provolone.... yum!

Greg, et al, mayo can go on anything EXCEPT an Italian hoagie! LOL
I apologize for not being specific enough. And Hellman's is the only mayo allowed in my house.
Carry on... ;)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '22

GF and I went and split a Philly Cheesesteak and Old World Style Meatball sub.
Cheesesteak had very little cheese and was a bit bland, meatball sub was above average. Good bread, after we ordered it dawned on me that there didn't seem to be a choice in bread like Subway or QuickChek.

Looking on their website, everything is very high in calories. I'd have to compare to Wawa, Quick Chek etc but I'm better they're higher.

Side note, I had a teacher who use to do commercials for Primos ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj0uGLifcAw)

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Jun '22

My wife and I went last night, based almost entirely on the positive thrust of the comments in this thread. We were not disappointed. I had tuna and my wife had the "Whacked Chicken." Both were very, very good. Unfortunately my wife is not really a sandwich person, so we will not likely be the franchise's most frequent flyers. But we're happy to know these guys are here when we want them. Best of luck to them.

Note to the Hellmann's collective:
Clearly none of you were raised in the Carolinas, where verily it is known that the only true mayo is Duke's. :)

Monty Monty
Jun '22

Greg, not if you're west of the Rockies...then it's Best Foods mayo (-;

Italian subs need mayo AND red wine vinegar & oil (and oregano).

ianimal ianimal
Jun '22

You just made me shudder, ian. LOL

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '22

What do YOU eat on ham, gobbagool and salami, mustard?

ianimal ianimal
Jun '22

oil, vinegar, oregano. Mustard is almost as bad as mayo. LOL

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '22

What if you have a ham, salami and provolone sandwich on regular white or wheat bread? Surely you aren't putting oil and vinegar on it.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '22

when I do a google image search for primo subs all their sub rolls have seeds. I don't like seeds on my sandwich roll.
does the Hackettstown location have seeds on the roll?

You can choose seeded or unseeded rolls when you order.

Mom of 1
Jun '22

Ian, if it’s on bread then yes, that is like comparable apples to oranges. But I personally wouldn’t have capicolla , salami, and provolone on sliced bread.
Funny diversion here.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '22

Yes, quite a diversion.
Looking to hear anyone’s experience with the Nonna’s Veggie. I want to love this sandwich, but not if it only has 1 slice of eggplant and 1 slice of cheese.

emerald
Jun '22

We went there last night. I had the Roasted Turkey and Cheese and it was good. My wife had the Veggie Diablo. It was supposed to have eggplant, provolone, broccoli rabe and long hot peppers.
She saw the broccoli rabe and cheese, but doesn't recall seeing any peppers or eggplant when she opened it. It was a very thin sandwich and if it was there, there wasn't a lot. She did say it was spicy, though.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Jun '22

Thanks Mr. Resident. At least I know that it wasn’t just my sandwich.
Hopefully the owner of Primo Hoagie reads the forum and will look into it.

emerald
Jun '22

This is what the Nonna's Veggie is advertised to include and look like:

eggplant, sharp provolone with broccoli rabe and roasted red peppers

ianimal ianimal
Jun '22

That looks really good! Are the veggies marinated in something? No mayo, I assume ;)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '22

Place is great been going to it for years. It's a philly chain. Hands down this place will hurt Jersey Mike's and also cause problems for local chains - CL - Sub Shack...etc.

Just try it. You will agree.

Marcus18 Marcus18
Jun '22

Just went to primo to try them out. Very disappointed . Expensive, sandwhich had no flavor and bread completely fell apart at first bite. I wish them luck but for me there are better choices.

John O John O
Jun '22

Had a Suprimo - Prosciut + Mozz + Roasted Red Peppers. 9 or 10 out of 10 was great and bread was awesome.

John I'm betting you got a small sub. For some reason they use a different bread for the small subs and that bread is disappointing. You have to get a Primo size or larger for the good stuff.

OneandDone OneandDone
Jun '22

I second oneanddone

Had Enough Had Enough
Jun '22

Disappointing bread in small size ends me on trying Primos.

Why use different bread depending on size?

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jun '22

Listen to Oneanddone. John O please share?

Need to get primo size because its freshly baked sesame seed bread. That's the middle one.

Marcus18 Marcus18
Jun '22

In primo right now, clocked in at 12:54 and it's 1:15. 5 people behind counter, 4 people still waiting on subs. Finally got sub at 1:29, all 5.6 oz of it. So much for lunch hour.

Denise Denise
Jun '22

Complain complain complain. You guys know you are living in Warren County NJ?

Marcus18 Marcus18
Jun '22

Go to SUB SHACK on the corner of Rt #46/Main Street. You won't wait that long, have a better SUB and be on your way.

Believe me, these "new" sub places are not going to last long!!!!

Even try WaWa - better place for a sandwich.

Bernie Bernie
Jun '22

Bernie - Wawa. Wow! Amazing... Why slam a new place and suggest places like Subway. OMG

Marcus18 Marcus18
Jun '22

Sub shack sucks.

Marcus18 Marcus18
Jun '22

Does Sub Shack have a veggie hero? How about eggplant?
Can't find a menu online.

emerald
Jun '22

Yes Sub Shack has a veggie sub. I don't see eggplant on their menu however.

I'll try Primo as they sound good and their menu looks enticing but for me the Shack will always be my first go to sammich joint.

I agree sub shack is the best. But if you're on the other side of town, you should expect decent service from sandwich shops on route 57. I get primo's just opened, kinks have to be worked out, but If 4 tables are filled with waiting customers for 30 minutes because the staff behind the counter are filling online orders, they'll lose their walk in customers. The meat slicer just said 'we're doing the best we can'. The veggie subs? Don't bother.

Denise Denise
Jun '22

Denise, did you mean don’t bother with the veggie subs at Primo Hoagie, or Sub Shack?

emerald
Jun '22

I’ve lived in HACKETTSTOWN for over 100 years
I’ve eaten at every Sub place here in town
Sometimes good
Sometimes not so good
Either the Roll sucks
Or
No Love with the Sub ingredients
More Roll than Meat
Isn’t it COMMON SENSE?!
Show the Sub Love and we will show the love by Returning

ChiliDog ChiliDog
Jun '22

Emerald, the eggplant veggie at primo.

Denise Denise
Jun '22

Denise, yes I agree. I already had it -- just 1 slice of eggplant and 1 slice of cheese.
Another person on here also said Primo's eggplant hoagie was lacking.
WHY???........ when all the other hoagies are piled high with cheese and meats?
I will try Sub Shack.

emerald
Jun '22

Pictures of the Primo-sized veggie hoagies show four slices of eggplant. Did you order the small one?

ianimal ianimal
Jun '22

That’s stock photography. I got the Primo size.

emerald
Jun '22

Just an FYI. The Sub Shack is closed this week…. vacation.. will reopen on July 5th. And they do have eggplant!

maybe they were chintzy because they were giving them away for free? or maybe they just didn't get as much eggplant as they needed and they were rationing it?

can't say for sure, but if the menu picture shows four cutlets and they only gave you one, I would call corporate to complain and tell them their new franchisee is making the company look bad. you might get some coupons out of it.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '22

Sub Shack reigns supreme

LukeyBoI LukeyBoI
Jun '22

Anyone remember the giant subs Pietro's used to make? That and their house salad dressing were the best

LukeyBoI LukeyBoI
Jun '22

It was the warm antipasto fry pan of assorted seafoods appetizer combined with the pizza which you took home that we loved. Ah, we missed Pete's little hole in the wall with the open kitchen, all that commotion, crowded, hustle n bustle ==== always fun!

Wife went into labor on our first right after some Alfredo. Shoulda named him Noodles.

Babit Babit
Jun '22

it's kind of ironic that someone would bring up Pietro's in a thread where people are bitching about eggplant.

my go-to dish at Pietros was Veal Sorentino, which is veal scallopine topped with eggplant, prosciutto and mozzarella in a brown sauce. Well, I guess the last time I ordered it, (for takeout) he was out of eggplant, so he took it upon himself to "improvise" and throw in half a head of broccoli instead. Why someone would think adding a ton of a vegetable, which is abhorred by at least one out of every three people in the country, into a recipe that didnt call for it was a good idea, I don't know. But, I never ordered from or dined at his restaurant again. I refuse to go to Blackstones either.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '22

In my early youth I used to like veal .It was not my favorite meat by any means ,but a good veal parmigiana hoagie was a favorite back in the day .Then I got a job for Provimi Veal delivering the powdered mix these calves are given for every day of their short 16 week lives lived entirely in a narrow stall . A sick calf at one farm that followed me around like a dog broke my heart .I never ate veal again and it's 38 years later .True story .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jun '22

97XBAM, if it's any consolation, those Veal Parmagiana hoagie of your youth likely contained very little veal, just the scraps off the killing floor ground up with mostly filler comprising the "cutlet".

Now that I read that, I doubt it's much consolation at all...

ianimal ianimal
Jun '22

Oh please Louise I ate adult big boy meals in restaurants with veal as well back in the early 80s . The Provimi bags of feed were called Provimelk with different colored bags for sick calves and after awhile you couldn't eat that meat without tasting the milky taste of it or thinking that you were basically eating a baby cow who never had any life outside of a small stall .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jun '22

I tried Primo's the other day. I ordered the classic Italian, Primo size. The "standard" version. It was pretty good. I will say the bread was very good but for me a bit too crunchy for a sub. But that's what a good baguette bread like they have is. I had the seeded version.

I ordered online with no issues. It was fairly busy at the store but my order was waiting for me even though I arrived before my scheduled pick up time.

I am eager to try some of their other selections. I may try the smaller version next time to explore what the "other" bread is. LOL.

Wow, decent reviews so far. I think I’ll stop in soon.

Consigliere
Jul '22

Anyone know if Sub Shack makes their own French fries + Onion rings …… or do they use frozen.

emerald
Jul '22

emerald
Give Sub Shack a phone call!

ChiliDog ChiliDog
Jul '22

We went over the weekend and was not impressed. Very slow. Also, thought it was somewhat expensive for what we got. Not sure we will go back. Jersey Mike’s or Sub Shack for us!

Sport
Jul '22

We love jersey mikes. ;-)

friendly mcface friendly mcface
Jul '22

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2017/11/the_15_subsandwich_chains_in_nj_ranked_from_worst.html

Primo best bread...

#1 on the list

Marcus18 Marcus18
Jul '22

Has anyone tried their cheesesteak?

Scott Scott
Jul '22

Scott

Yes, I tried one. I got the Primo-sized Philly Cheesesteak with the Cooper cheese and added Provolone. It was nice, thick, and filling, and the bread was excellent. I got the seedless bread, btw. Thankfully, it wasn't overly salty, as some places are.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '22

In case anyone needed a reason to avoid Subway...

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/subway-can-be-sued-over-its-tuna-us-judge-rules-2022-07-11/

ianimal ianimal
Jul '22

Update:

I've been back twice since the grand opening, and while the sandwiches are still top notch, I can't say the same about the service, unfortunately.

It's clear that when they initially opened, the staff they used had plenty of experience, as everything went smoothly with virtually no issues. They were expedient, friendly, and enthusiastic. And keep in mind that there was a small mob there on that day, as it was their grand opening.

However, on my subsequent visits, it's been the antithesis.

I certainly understand that there is a learning curve when being trained, I'm sure many of us have been in the same boat several times in our lives, so I remain patient while they work out the kinks. But I have noticed that beyond the long wait times, the current staff does not look too thrilled to be there, and that there is a general lack of knowledge over some very basic stuff.

The other day I went in, I was the only person there. I ordered my sammich and proceeded to watch the young guy prepare it. What I ordered was printed out in detail on the order receipt that he was referring to, yet I had to stop him almost every step of the way because he was about to put something on the sandwich that I didn't order.

It was truly mind boggling. The owner was overseeing his employee and trying to guide him as best as he could, but I could tell he was aggravated that he wasn't following the order receipt. He told me that he's constantly telling them to just read what it says on the receipt and follow it, but that for some reason they veer off at times.

The owner seems like a good guy, but I can tell that he's a bit overwhelmed right now, primarily because he can't fully rely on his staff. Hopefully, for his sake and ours, his people start to find their sandwich making rhythm. Like I said, the finished product is great, but they are in danger of losing some business if they don't get everything else sorted out.

I'm still a customer, I just hope that 3 months from now they'll be more efficient.

Jul '22

I think anyone who uses the word "antithesis" in their resturant review should not be reviewing subs.....

I think Ianimal hates Subway.

I think if it smells, feels, tastes like Tuna, it is! At least that's what the plant-based people are telling us :>)

Just use Sub Shack and be happy.

Babit Babit
Jul '22

I have to agree with the service. My wife called ahead to order. They told her it would be 30 minutes. She got there 40 minutes later and waited there another 35 min. Horrible service. The bread she got was decent but the bread I got, while actually quite delicious once fully chewed, was HARD. Like, almost Stella-dora breadstick hard. Crunchy even. Again, great taste just not for a sub

Consigliere
Jul '22

@Babit,

Sorry, but I'm not going to dumb it down for anyone, deal with it.

Besides that, I think that anyone who has a problem with a word like antithesis, probably shouldn't be commenting about anything, anywhere.

Jul '22

@Consig,

I haven't experienced yet, but some folks have mentioned that their bread was stale. If that's the case then yeah, baguette style bread would be hard to chew, and would probably break off as well.

If the bread is fresh, the hoagie will be great, but a stale baguette would ruin it.

Jul '22

Finally…

A clean and friendly place to have a delicious, quality Italian hoagie made to perfection. Just the right amount of cold cuts, toppings and real, fresh Italian bread. We ordered the primo size.

Cherry on top — we didn’t have to travel to NYC or to Essex or Morris County to get what Primos gave us. We now have a go to sandwich place right in our own backyard!

We tried Sub Shack in town too many times only to walk away dissatisfied, while being served by the nastiest employees. Don’t know how they have survived so long.

So happy we went because after reading the reviews here we were very hesitant. Give them a try.

Wishing them much success!

gwtwqueenie gwtwqueenie
Sep '22

I am not a Hoagie person. Perhaps I'll eat one every one or two years. Yesterday I tried Primos mostly because they support the NIL program at Seton Hall. Wow, did I have good one! Mild Italian was really good. I may become a fan.

I dunno
But in my experience..sub shack has twice the sandwich for the same money than primo hoagies

Primo needs to compare themselves to quickchek or wawa and leave the professional local places out of it

Bug3
Sep '22

I found sub shack to be gross. Never went back, i get it's a local place but it sucks. Haven't tried Primo yet. I really try and avoid processed deli meats.

scotty scotty
Sep '22

Sub Shack has the most miserable employees. Went twice and never went back.

Subbed Out
Sep '22

I'm with Bug on this one. I too feel Sub Shack offers more bang for the buck. I also feel grouping Primo with other chains is fair. Leave a local, clearly successful place out of the mix.

I have never had a bad experience at Sub Shack in the dozens of years going there. It would not be around for as long as it has if it "sucks" that I am sure of.

I will say I have tried Primo a few times now and find it OK; not oh my I need to go back but adequate. That was until my last visit. Made my online order as usual. Went at my scheduled time for pick up. Saw it sitting where it always is with my name on it. The only order there. I waited almost a full minute for the young lady with her back to the counter to finish blathering on about her social life. I gave up and grabbed my prepaid order. I was immediately and in a hostile tone told to "leave it'! She took it to the register. I said "oh is this new as it's prepaid online, do I need to sign or something?" Nastily the reply was "I'm not asking you to sign, I need to confirm it". During that sentence I had already picked up the bag, turned and left. I'm not sure what snarky response she said after that. I won't be back. I did send an email to the feedback link on their website. Surprisingly no response other than an automated one. We'll see if I ever get one.

tried the small primo tuna sub.not much sub for a lot of money.just for the heck of it i put it on a scale.its weight was 9.2 ounces.the price was 9 dollars.so thats about a dollar a ounce.or about 16 dollars a pound.not much bang for the buck.you get more at subshack for less.primo is just another flash in the pan.

When an establishment buys lower quality meat & cheese, they can afford to pile it on!
So my question is what brand of meat & meat does sub shack use? The bread is even lower quality! & also I dislike sandwiches wrapped in plastic wrap = soggy. Prefer paper or butcher paper.

Sub Shack is like Blackstones large portions of sub par quality food.

I will choose quality over quantity any day.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Sep '22

What’s unique about Primo’s Italian subs is they put prosciutto on all of them. Just the Italian ones. If that’s what you like, then go for it.
To me prosciutto doesn’t belong on a sub at all. It should be served in small portions because it is so fatty, salty and rich.
That said when I order an Italian sub from Primo, I order one custom: ham, salami, gabagool, lettuce, tomato, oregano oil and vinegar. Absolutely no prosciutto. Primo uses Thumann’s (no idea what sub shack uses for ham but their turkey and roast beef are home cooked per their menu)
Primo’s bread is also what makes it so good.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '22

sub shack has been around for more then 40 years,that says something for any store.they are not the best because they are the oldest,they are the oldest because they are the best.

Primo has been around since 1996 mostly in the So NJ/Philly area. Not exactly a spring chicken either.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '22

I have something to say about this discussion:

Let the PRIMO people go to a "chain" store.

The rest of us will continue to use SUB SHACK and enjoy the quality we get from this place. At least we know the meats and cheese is fresh not brought in from who knows where in a truck.

Bernie Bernie
Sep '22

Went there once about 10 years ago. No gloves used, never going back...

I have never gone to Sub Shack when they WEREN’T wearing gloves.
Support locally owned INDEPENDENT shop owners.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '22

Yes Stymie, but what if I’m not a fan of SubShack? Do I need to go to them just because they’re “local and independently owned?”
I would consider Primo local and independently owned too. And to me their product is better. It’s good to have choices. To each their own.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '22

Since everyone is going back and forth. I want a sub...from the old Harold's on Route 10 Randolph from yearrrs ago when they made them great and huge!

Other than that, it's so hard to tell where to go because some people will strictly stand by local and others will give another place a chance and others sound outright like an advertisement for a place and sound like an owner or employee wrote it.

Either way: just enjoy where you want! Place on Stiger makes a good one, too.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '22

Actually, I hope no one is a “fan” of any particular sub shop.
Not a very good dietary choice-generally speaking.
There are healthy choices, but overall, negatory.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '22

Many years ago, Iman ruined subway for me by explaining it's all pressed meat.

If I go, I go subshack, not because they are local, I agree with 3wbdwnj, all employees and parts are local, only the investment and management may not be, but I go to subshack because they are good.

As to gloves or not, who cares? It's how clean are they and you can pick your nose and other orifices with or without gloves.......

Babbit Babbit
Sep '22

Babbitt? Who cares about gloves? I do.
I care also if they use them to do sandwiches and other food AND do the register and cash without changing them. Eww. Had that happen in deli in PV. Doing register with the gloves handing dirty money and then going right back to food is a huge no for me.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '22

We posted about our Primos’ experience because we finally decided to give them a shot after reading negative reviews here. We suggested it in case you were on the fence about trying them as we ~ no other agenda.

We have not been content for sometime with the products or services from our local sandwich establishments, namely the ones mentioned in this thread — Sub Shack, Wawa and Quick Check.

We are NOT employees or management of Primos.

We are a local family living in this community for over 45 years who continually support and give all local businesses a try ~ and yes, more than once. We support any business where we receive quality products and services.

We are tired of throwing money away on businesses we are dissatisfied with just because they are local or have longevity in our community.

Again, our purpose for posting was to simply share our fantastic experience with Primos and to suggest, in spite of the reviews here, to give them a try as we were thankful we did.

Wishing Primos much success, welcome to our community and thank you for the opportunity to finally get a delicious Hoagie in our area.

gwtwqueenie gwtwqueenie
Sep '22

I've been to Sub Shack for 20 years. Always gloves. Always changing them to the point of going through stacks and stacks of them. It's Thuman's same as Primo unless they make it themselves. They make some terrific old school type sandwiches.

Maybe now but not the day about 10 years ago I was there...

Gwtwquennie- thoughtful post

Stymie Stymie
Sep '22

Today being a "slow" day went to Sub Shack to get our dinner. Bought a half of a sub that we split. It was wonderful (as always) with Thuman's meats, lettuce and all the fixings. Also purchased macaroni salad.

Can't beat this place for good food!

Bernie Bernie
Sep '22

Primos is opening a shop in Byram too.

Lodge
Sep '22

Popeyes Chicken is coming to Mansfield near the Primos location.

Lodge
Sep '22

Popeyes is great news!

ChiliDog ChiliDog
Sep '22

Don't get my hopes up Lodge. Has this been confirmed anywhere?

Popeyes lover Popeyes lover
Sep '22

Look at july and august

https://mansfieldtownship-nj.gov/index.php/land-use-board-minutes

Bug3
Sep '22

Actually, it's the minutes from the June Meeting. The July meeting minutes make no mention of it and August only has an Agenda, but no minutes posted, probably because they need to be approved at the Sept. meeting first before posting.

Here's where it's mentioned in the June minutes about final site plan approval:

https://mansfieldtownship-nj.gov/images/Committee_Meetings/Planning_Board/PL06_20_2022minutes.pdf

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '22

Any recent reviews about the wait time for your sandwich? And accuracy of orders?

emerald
Oct '22

I recently got an Italian from primo, sub shack, and Jersey mike. IMO sub shack was my favorite and primo I didn’t care for. I would rather have an Italian sub from any pizzeria over primo.

Sacks cousin
Oct '22

Had Primo Hoagies yesterday for lunch. Husband got an Italian and I got a hot chicken cutlet with pesto and bruschetta. Found the Italian to be nothing special, I would rather buy at C&L or Sub Shack to promote local business. The chicken cutlet with pesto and bruschetta was fantastic, it's not a sandwich you can get just anywhere, and I'd but it again in a second. Really appreciated the bread on both, crusty but not stale, and the sesame seeds give it the authentic Italian sub experience. Took less than 5 minutes from order to serving

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Oct '22

On my birthday last week I got a text good for buy one get one free at Primo, so my wife and I cashed that in on Saturday. I got their Italian and she got the Whacked Chicken. We were both VERY pleased. So this is the second time we've visited, and we had great food both times.

Monty Monty
Oct '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.