Where does everyone buy baked goods now

Hi, just wondered how many people are s till die-hards and go to their local bakery for their baked goods needs///

Tell me please. Interesting topic :)

Also, what is your favorite bakery item as well.

Muheisen’s donuts. Hands down the best.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '19

Hate that Viking in Denville closed. Closest one is Swiss Chalet in Motown..

Acl76 Acl76
Sep '19

GIANCARLO's. Excellent Italian food, pastries and pies and cakes. Wonderful homemade breads. Donuts and danish. Everyrhing is homemade and everyone is so friendly
They absolutely treat me like they want me to come back. The place that I like to give my business.

Angela Angela
Sep '19

Buttercups in Stewartsville

best croissants in town at rico pan bakery on main street Hackettstown.they are big fresh and made every morning.best of all there just one dollar.

Rico Pan

Blackcat Blackcat
Sep '19

What happened to Harper's?

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '19

Calandra's is my go to place.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Sep '19

Weis. I have gotten Wedding cakes, birthday cakes, retirement cakes, Anniversary cakes and just cakes. They will help you design your cake. I got my marriage renewal cake there. It was fresh delicious and beautiful. One of a kind (WE DESIGNED it TOGETHER). I will not get a cake anywhere else.

Snowflake
Sep '19

Angela - where is Giancarlo's located
thanks

marjon marjon
Sep '19

+1 Giancarlos’s in Ledgewood. Excellent bread and sweets but also fantastic sandwiches made on amazing Italian rolls! Their pizza is pretty good too.

http://giancarlosbakery.com/

Jules Jules
Sep '19

Main Street Cafe.

YeahRight YeahRight
Sep '19

Was at Mackey’s this weekend and their bakery looked amazing. I only left with a bag of cider donuts, and half gallon of cider though

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '19

Special occasions- Coco Lux in Peapack.
Worth the trip.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '19

Mine is Baker's Perfection in Rockaway up in Green Pond area:)

Snowflake do you use the Hackettstown Weis or the one in Easton

Strange as it seems ; for seeded rye I go to Adams in budd lake. I call ahead the day before and they have a super thick and seeded rye. For bakery we use Dalcourt at the crossroads strip mall. Also Cafe Parote in andover maked a great crumb apple cake

exphysics teacher
Sep '19

Gencarelli's in Bloomfield is the best in my opinion. Bread, pastry, cookies, breakfast stuff like coffee cake--you name it. So. Good.

http://gencarellisbakery.com/

I grew up with the Gencarelli family. Excellent bakery. Far from local unfortunately. :-(

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '19

"Café Pierrot" is definitely tasty for desserts. Giancarlos too.

If Vikiing wasn't too far, I would think Anthony's would be on the list for the breads. Callandra's to me is similar just further. My office isn't that far though so it's not a big stretch particularly with a customer across the street. However, both Anthony's and Callandra deliver items to both Shoprite and Weis. Unless you're buying an awful lot, you don't have to travel that far to get the same thing.

Harpers for the cinnamon swirls. Best croissants danish, and turnovers are at Main St Cafe. OMG "Guava".

Thanks GC. Good list. Main Street needs my personal investigation. Glad to hear Harpers still hanging in. And Rico Pan always seems to get good reviews. Now....bring back biscottii!

Notice no Panera. I agree. I do get there bagels, but they’re not real; they’re San Fran style and what the heck is that. Convenient though.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '19

Not a bakery, but Cafe 57 in Washington has quite a few fresh baked items daily. I've never had any of them, but people rave about their cinnamon rolls.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '19

Main Street Cafe has excellent pastries and big cookies.

But for bagels I make my parents import them in from Brooklyn when they visit. Nothing in this state comes close.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Sep '19

I like Panera's bagels and baked goods. Also the bagel place to the right of the Wawa (Hackettstown) .bottom of Schooley's Mtn.They do a wonderful business...always a full house. I love a toasted brown sesame bagel with vegetable cream cheese. They're VERY generous with their cream cheese. I try to stay away from the bagels though.

Angela Angela
Sep '19

AJMS. I use the weis in Mansfield. They are very friendly and go out of their way to help you.

Snowflake
Sep '19

I've always got my specialty cakes from the Shop Rite Bakery. I have received so many compliments as well as requests to know where they came from. When I tell people the cake came from the Shop Rite, they are shocked. I have never been disappointed.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Sep '19

Parental, is that the one in Mansfield

AJMS, yes that is correct. The Mansfield Shop Rite.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Sep '19

Shoprite has pretty good muffins (on sale), fancier breads, love the 2-pack cake slices (we actually cut each slice in half and get a 4-pack!) so I guess I would like the cakes,, but the rest --- I pass. All the pastries, etc. are just too "bready" for me.

Similarly, I just get bagels and bread from Panera mostly because I get gift cards from my ccard so --- it's free! The bagels are a different style, San Fran, and I wish I had contacts in Brooklyn (you oughta start being a bagel dealer.....). The breads are OK, but I pass on the rest. All the pastries seem "bready" to me. I love the rapid pick-up though, it's the cat's pj's to order and then pick up right from the back door.

Really miss the Washington bakery that was just a half block down on of the side streets just past the town center. You could mix n match single items and they all were very good.

Some great ideas here but lots of road time if you're not passing by. Guess I will make a list and try them out as I pass by. Thanks all.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '19

A little bit of a trek but Windy Brow Farm in Fredon bakes incredible bread and pastries and has hand-crafted ice cream that doesn’t disappoint!

LittleWing LittleWing
Sep '19

Was gonna mention but far away and really an orchard. Pies to die for. And yea, every baked good had been unexpectedly great.

Fredon? Seems like Newton to me.

Sep '19

Well, their mailing address is Newton but the farm is most definitely in Fredon. And being that they have a Head Bread Baker and a Pastry Chef on staff, it may be an orchard but it is also, clearly, a bakery featuring some of the best baked goods around. Minor details! Nobody cares

LittleWing LittleWing
Sep '19

Hey, I care. I’m strangerous, I’m dangerous, but I’m no nobody no sir eee. I like these guys, been going for years. One of two farms in NW NJ with sugar plums, a short-lived wonder. Crop was wiped this year, so sad. Thought it was a farmer and his little brother. Thanks.

Sep '19

Is Harpers ever opened? Closed most of the time I drive by in the morning which is odd.

reisident08
Sep '19

They are still open. They may be closed on Tuesday. Check their hours on the door.

Angela Angela
Sep '19

I do and when they say they are supposed to be open they are never open. Something is up...

reisident08
Sep '19

M-F 6AM-3PM. Sat and Sun. 6-1. It may look dark but the store is actually open. Pretty positive that "nothing is up".

Angela Angela
Sep '19

Nope Angela. Sign has said closed for several mornings when I have driven by. Would not be a loss if closed. You can get better and cheaper baked goods at Weis.

reisident08
Sep '19

Hmmmm. Did not know this about Harpers. I still like Giancarlo's the best. Excellent quality. Really nice people.
I have bought from Weis a long time ago. I used to buy a slice of cheesecake on occassion. Their donuts were pretty good too.

Angela Angela
Sep '19

Why buy? We gots plenty baked goods right here for free ;-)

Sep '19

I just drove past Harpers and the OPEN sign is up. 2 people outside. I believe that they may close at 1 and it is 12:40
Strangerdanger...what does that mean " why buy. You gots plenty of baked goods for free"? Im not picking up on the private joke I guess. In the whole scheme of things; I suppose that really doesn't matter..."never mind :D"

Angela Angela
Oct '19

@honestyseasy -

Being a Brooklynite (migrated to NJ...just right in time before Bklyn turned into a mess), I 100% agree with you about the Bagels, along a lot of the same foods can't be compared to the ones made in NYC. {The word or myth is the main culprit is the Water difference}.

Rather NOT start a debate on that point, after many places my family has tried (from near and far), we found the closest taste was from Alfa Bagels. Main points why: 1) It doesn't have that slightly undercooked or doughy taste that I've found a lot of shops/people in NJ like it that way & 2) Their bagels are made much bigger than the average (extra larger than Bklyn ones where I think due to the increase of food/housing/etc in NYC, I've noticed Bklyn bagels have began to 'shrink')

...leaving Alfa Bagel's bagels give you not only the best taste, but also best bang of your buck!

However, since of course everyone from every other place (NY&NJ, North/East/South&West) has acquired their own taste which they think is "the best', everyone's tip, referrals, opinion, and foods they already taste-tested, That's A Lot!

I'm going to Giancarlos to line up its Pastries against my taste of Bklyn's this weekend. Thx

ftcfda@aol.com ftcfda@aol.com
Oct '19

Angela they opened in the afternoon NOT for the morning today and every day. That is very odd. If you need to retire and cannot keep the bakery open when it is supposed to be open, close the place down.

reisident08
Oct '19

Went to Muheisen bakery today --- they are now Florestano's. Wonder when the new ownership occured. Hope the quality is as good ..... I brought home bread and some pastries.

happiest girl
Feb '20

Where is Florestano's located?

Route 57 in Washington. West of the main downtown area.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '20

ead ----
Florestano's Bakery is located at 217 W. Washington Ave.
My recommendation --- first go have lunch at Alies Cafe which is a few blocks from the bakery -- 7 Broad Street. The food is REALLY good and they make awesome french fries & sweet potato fries. They are open 11am - 2:30.
The go to the bakery to bring home goodies!
:)

happiest girl
Feb '20

hi, ownership switched about a month ago.
Robert Del Elba owns it now.
Full Financial Realty office on Rt 31 in Washington NJ.

have an inner source , lol

PS if anyone ever feels like taking a nice drive, Yellow Cottage Bakery in Branchville is excellent as well.

The BEST cinnamon raisin bread around (actually has sugar glaze on top!) :

Yellow Cottage Deli & Bakery
194 Google reviews
Deli
Address: 345 US-206, Branchville, NJ 07826
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 7AM Tuesday

Menu: places.singleplatform.com
Phone: (973) 948-5149

Not sure the bread would make the drive home from Branchville before I ate it. LOL

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '20

It’s sad don’t know and not sure what’s up with harpers but it’s flat out depressing. Went in there to see what they have and they have I think 3 display cases in which only one was filled it made it feel not appetizing. If there was more product and the place was bright and cheery it could be a game changer. Some days the cupcake place is Chester has lines why not here

Drew - I had a very similar impression of Harpers. I called in a cake order and went to pick it up on a Saturday with the intention of picking up other goodies from the case, whatever caught my eye and was very surprised at the lack of items in the case and the atmosphere was not bright or cheery. The cake was just ok, too, so unfortunately won't be back. I know it's a longtime favorite for a lot of people in the area but just not for me!

For bagels, I like Muheisens hopefully the new owners make similar quality. And other baked goods, like pastries, a family member picks them up from Calandra's. Cakes we make ourselves or grab a specialty cake from Shop Rite.

Somechick1 Somechick1
Feb '20

Dalcourts in the Crossroads plaza on 517. Amazing pastries. Owners are so nice and helpful. Highly recommend the Oreo Brownie and Lemon Chiffon cake.

mamaqwan mamaqwan
Feb '20

If you want to make the drive to Branchville for bread, hop on over to Dale's for wings! Might make the trip worthwhile!

Mel81 Mel81
Feb '20

I usually bake my own, but if I am in the market to buy baked goods Giancarlos on Rt 10 is my go-to. Holland American bakery on 23 in Sussex is also well worth the ride.

hktownie hktownie
Feb '20

Has Harper's closed? I haven't seen it open since the pandemic started.

Call them. They would be able to answer that question! LOL

908 852 8585.

Why not call BID?

Jul '20

Any reviews for the Italian Bakery & Espresso Bar in Flemington? It's apparently very close to the Dutch Country Farmers Market.

happiest girl
May '21

On the way to Flemington, south of Clinton, if you make a right on Payne Rd, there will be a small plaza on the right behind the gas station. In there is Melissa's, they make their bakery products in house. Very good, a bit pricey.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
May '21

Cafe Pierrot

4catmom 4catmom
May '21

Sam's Club, Costco or BJs. Best cakes at half the price.

MansfieldVillager MansfieldVillager
May '21

Delcourt Desserts on 517! Hands down the best desserts

htownlifer htownlifer
May '21

Does anyone remember (circa 1967) the 5-7 layer sloppy joe sandwiches the Viking bakery/deli in Denville used to make? Does anyone still make them like that?

old timer old timer
May '21

htownlifer....
Went to Dalcourt’s Desserts yesterday because they now have Italian water ice and gelato. I was craving something lemony and refreshing. They have little tasting spoons too. I got a mix of half lemon water ice and half lemon gelato and they did not disappoint !! Soooo lemony, tasted like fresh squeezed lemons.

Local Gal Local Gal
May '21

Picked up desserts at Dalcourt today..........just looking was amazing

4catmom 4catmom
May '21

where is Dalcourt's Desserts?

Hackresident Hackresident
May '21

in the strip on 517 just below Bilby -

4catmom 4catmom
May '21

Hackresident

Dalcourts is in the little strip mall with Sonnys Pizza, Gaza Ramen and Speedy Mart

Local Gal Local Gal
May '21

Not Dalcourt's VERY expensive and they do not even make the items on site. They get them from other places!

Hands down go to Cafe Pierot. Never been disappointed there and some of the best baked goods in the area.

hackettres02
Jun '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Where does everyone buy baked goods now
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.