I'm Happy Because II

I'm very happy that there are so many wonderful caring people on this forum.

I'd like to give a special thank you to a poster who truly goes out of her way for anyone and did that for a complete stranger today.

positive positive
Jun '17

I'm happy because of maple trees. That's it. Something as simple as that. They give good shade and they taste great. Of course tapping them, and collecting sap, and boiling down gallons and gallons to get a tiny quart isn't so easy.

But at least I've got one now. And I'm happy. ;-)

Maybe it should be on the thread about them, but I'd love to have video evidence and don't - hummingbird at the impatien today.

Holy cow its awesome out today

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '17

I have my health!!!

Stymie Stymie
Jun '17

Cleaning out kitchen drawers. Found an old, never-used ladle... almost put it in the donation box, but decided to look at it more closely. Looked it up on eBay. Lists between $400-450. Talk about finding money in unexpected places!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

My wife, my dog and I are leaving for a long weekend vacation to wine country- the Finger Lakes NY. It's still warm up there, but it'll be 10 degrees cooler than here in this NJ heatwave...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '17

I won two tickets from Sirius/XM to the Slayer/Lamb of God/Behemoth show in Philly on Sunday.... now, where did I put that jean jacket vest with the Reign in Blood back patch? (As if it would still fit, LOL)

ianimal ianimal
Jul '17

Wow Rebecka that must be some ladle! Could you post a picture?

positive positive
Jul '17

Re: I'm Happy Because II

It's actually nothing to look at, which is why I almost donated it. Until I turned it over and saw this ----->.

Which led me to the listing for it on eBay...
http://m.ebay.com/itm/400625531221

Which is what it will look like if I actually take the time to polish it. (But seriously, who even uses sterling flatware any more?) Just realized we have lots of sterling pieces (including a coffee or tea pot) which are so going on eBay.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Rebecka, that looks a lot like my grandmother's silver. I just inherited it from her. It also needs a good polish.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '17

Nice Rebecka!

positive positive
Jul '17

@Tracy - I admire anyone who takes the time to polish silver and use it! My grandmother's formal set will likely not come out of the attic until it is time to pass it on to my nieces!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

actually I have a set that belonged to my parents - with mom's initials...........I polished it once and since it's in the original lined box, it doesn't tarnish........and yes I use it when I have company - even if dinner is on paper plates.........it reminds me of mom - who thought nothing of having 12-14 for dinner.........and used the good silverware..........

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '17

My mom received a set of good silver as her wedding present from my grandparents. I have it currently because she's not sure quite what to do with it. Her grandson, my nephew, could probably use the money more than a very old fashioned set of silver, particularly considering prices are at a very high level currently. But when recently ask he actually said yes to it when other items that have meaning to my mom, brother and me have all been turned down. It's a good quality set from about 1960 and has not needed a lot of work put into it.

I am actually not surprised if someone would put out good silver today. It actually seems to be more appreciated than you would think. When I have done Thanksgiving the past two years, it's been with the good silver, and a very good set of old fashioned dishes. It just seems to fit the occasion.

Rebecka

The Hallmarks make the difference! Always great to see when you're looking at servingware to tell whether solid or what level of plate, etc. as well as manufacturer

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

Watching a puppy eat peanut butter toast.

I really need to video this and share.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

He's finally reached the end of his energy supply. (For today.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Rebecka - Dump the canines. Stick to cats.

White Shoes Johnson White Shoes Johnson
Aug '17

WS I just saw your comment lol. Sometimes I *do* think I am too old for Shepherds!

Today I'm happy because DH said those 4 magical words I've been waiting to hear for months: "Design your new bathroom." :-P

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

I'm happy because today, driving from Jacksonville, FL to Hinesville, GA for work, I decided to detour to Jekyll Island, GA. Beautiful place!!! It's a quick trip down south for me for work, so I'm glad I took some time for myself today. :)

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Aug '17

I finally told my mother-in-law off!

positive positive
Aug '17

You go positive!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Aug '17

I must have good karma because an incredibly stupid mistake I made was just excused and forgiven. And this by a complete stranger who doesn't know me from Adam and had every reason to make me pay. The unbelievable stress I have been under for the past week has just lifted. Pretty sure I've used up most of me Karma "credits" though... oi. (Probably a good time to quietly double down on doing things for others.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

OMG I am so happy today........my neighbor has two bee hives and I've been dying to see them up close. I've never been close to one and I LOVE honey bee's.

Saw him today and he was kind enough to not only show me up REAL close but taught me so much.

I was about 2 feet from the hives and they just went about their business.

It's the small things that make me happy!

littlelu littlelu
Aug '17

I successfully washed and deodorized my son's soccer cleats. In the washing machine!
Fresh as a daisy!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '17

littlelu- I would really enjoy to see and hear about bees in real life.

I am happy the weather is trending slightly cooler and less humid. Many of my hobbies benefit from this. I hope to be able to get out on my motorcycle in the next few days.

I am happy to celebrate my anniversary with my wife last night.

I am happy to have found a silver quarter while metal detecting with my friend recently. It isn't old- only a 1949, but it is only the 6th silver quarter I have found- and I am somewhere in multiple thousands of coins found at this point. I am happy my friend recently found an 1853 silver half dime. In near perfect condition, must have been dropped near new. I've never seen one before. Fantastic find.

This perfect weather!

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Yes, Rebecka!!

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

Happy because my third grandson, Joseph, is experiencing a christening on Sunday, 8/27/2017.
Plus, hummingbirds have taken dozens of sips from their sugar water feeders and even more from the tall daisies and zinnias next to them.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '17

My hummers have been very active also. Guess they are fueling up for their long trip. Congrats Danny on your grandson's christening , a happy time.

justwondering justwondering
Aug '17

I will miss summer, but happy today because I needed to wear a jacket, and had a pocket for my phone and keys for the first time in months :-)

hktownie hktownie
Sep '17

I'm happy because I have the most loving and caring mother in the world. She is always there for me through thick and thin. She is a very selfless person who would give the clothes off her back for anyone. When I was a teenager we had the typical mother daughter arguments and fights but it always made our relationship so much stronger. She is my rock and my best friend and even though we don't always agree on things, I still love her no matter what. I love you mama!!! @positive

snowflake90
Sep '17

Wow! What is this all about?

Ok, how much money do you need? Lol!

positive positive
Oct '17

On a beautifully cool 64 degree fall day, the cats get excited when a monarch visits a flower.

Pink Zinnias by Alzheimer's Association packet in the mail
A somewhat late but successful planting by GC
Cheer leading by Sugar & White Shoes
Serendipitous Monarch visit by nature...

This is a good day.

Beautiful, GC! :)

Because of this beautiful day - spent wandering the Bronx Botanical Gardens - seeing the plants and the Dale Chihuly glass sculptures............

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '17

This little girl made me a mommy four years ago today.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '17

Beautiful girl, Tracy! How time flies. She looks so grown up.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '17

More squirrelly cuteness was delivered this afternoon. (Thanks 4cm!) Just had to share his little mug here. He looks like he's not sure if he's allowed to go out and play lol.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '17

He could come out and play over by me. He looks tasty. ;-)

Sugar Sugar
Oct '17

First ya gotta catch 'em though.
(I can't waddle that fast.)

Barny
Oct '17

Believe it or not, White Shoes is the lightning bolt fast agile catch and grab beast of the family. Sugar likes to play with bugs to the point of multiple captures and Stockholm syndrome. White Shoes spots it, digs it out, nails it, and munches it before you can realize something was there. Sugar talks Ninja, Whites Shoes lives it. ;-)

I wish mine would catch the cave crickets that are in the basement

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '17

I finally found a state employee that had a pulse AND the answers I needed. Shocking! I can't even tell you how long I've been trying to have certain questions answered.

Antimony Antimony
Oct '17

Love knowing what mail is coming early in the morning before delivery after noon. "Informed Delivery" rocks.

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

The weather this weekend was so perfect!

hktownie hktownie
Oct '17

Perfect for August maybe...not so much for late October.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '17

I'm happy because my daughter is flying in from Texas this afternoon to spend a whole week with me. I have not seen her in over a year and I am long overdue for a lot of hugs....

joyful joyful
Oct '17

Both kids actually looked at the camera and smiled for their "school" pictures. I have no idea how the photographer(s) pulled it off. We can't get a picture with one of them cooperating, let alone both of them at the same time, lol...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

Great picture ianimal! They're so adorable and I can't believe how big they are now!

Oh ianimal, what a perfect picture! I can't wait to see if my kids' photographer performed the same miracle.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '17

My cat Scooby lost 4 lbs. A little over a month ago he weighed 22 lbs and he is now down to 18 lbs. I just completely cut the dry food out of his diet.

positive positive
Oct '17

Positive - that was Tigger's story too. He ballooned to 22 but my vet told me as he aged I really needed to cut all the carbs of the dry. Some nice canned tuna and he was happy as could be and down to 18 fairly quickly. He was a big guy and 18 is not unreasonable.

GC- what a difference..he has more energy and he's playing with the kittens now. I should've stopped the dry a long time ago. I want my baby to live for a very long time.

positive positive
Oct '17

Well, we got partial cooperation. Little man gave a big smile for his solo picture, not so much for pictures with his sister.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '17

LOL, Tracy, that backdrop looks eerily familiar. Lifetouch?

Beautiful kids. That's some head of hair on the little man (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

Tracy...that portrait picture of your children is just beautiful! For the first time, I see a lot of you in the "little guy"...

joyful joyful
Oct '17

NJ Ballot Question #1 -- Yes
NJ Ballot Question #2 -- Yes
:-)

happiest girl
Nov '17

Finally - 32 degree high, 17 degree overnight. A whole day below freezing and actually comfortable. About time.

I am happy because my friend GC is happy with the freezing temps we are experiencing now out there .Brrrrrrh!! In no way do I understand why he is so happy about this as I hate cold weather....and personally would be very happy to go back to a few weeks ago with the 70 degree temperatures...

joyful joyful
Nov '17

I'm happy because I saw a wonderful program about Pete Seeger at Centenary U. last night. My friends and I were so impressed and glad we went.

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '17

I saw it last year 4catmon, it was a great reminder of the history of this country that so many do even know about it.

kb2755 kb2755
Nov '17

Oh my goodness Hawkeye will be coming back to stay with us for at least a week in December while Kay and family go on vacation. *I could not be more excited!!!*
Someone asked me if I would do it again - raise a puppy for a veteran, or someone else, and I was like, NO I am so not cut out for it!! I get too attached. I must be weak or something, because there are families (including one in our town who posts on this forum) who raise puppies for The Seeing Eye, and do it repeatedly for many years. **I have SO much respect for them now!** I don't know how they do it... the letting go. It's truly amazing, and what strong people they must be.
In any case, I'm practically giddy that Kay took me up on the offer to leave Hawkeye with us whenever she goes on vacation. So looking forward to seeing him again!!

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

I know exactly what you mean Rebecka. I've been fostering kittens since the summer and it's so hard to give them up. Turns out I adopted two out of the five, but the saga continues. Now I'm fostering infant kittens that we found when they were only 1 week old. Was bottle feeding every 2 to 3 hours. Now they are roughly about 4 weeks old..still bottle feeding but much less now and they are actually eating cat food now.

How the heck can I give them up? I'm their mama...

positive positive
Nov '17

Wasabi Peas!

I'm happy because the batch of Mulligatawny soup I made today was the best I have ever made!

I can't stop snacking on it.

I have attached a photo of the finished product. LMAO

Greg I've never heard of this soup..can you please share the ingredients?

positive positive
Nov '17

Positive, sure thing. I first heard of it on a Seinfeld episode years ago LOL.

Here is a link to the recipe I use from Simply Recipes. It is very simple and delicious.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chicken_mulligatawny_soup/

Mugabe is Gone! So happy for the people of Zimbabwe!! Never thought this day would come. May the transition be peaceful.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Quinoa tabbouleh.

An old world item with a new world twist.

The outside lighted Christmas star that we put up every year for Christmas on our home broke during the last big wind storm. I have been all over looking for one to replace it without much success...even posted in HL Classifieds. Today I went outside to get the mail and there placed next to our house was a big beautiful Christmas Star. After a bit of crying with happiness to be able to have my "Star of Bethlehem" shining once more this Christmas Holiday..I found out that it was our Niece and Nephew who live down the street from us who were behind this kindness. I am so happy!!!

joyful joyful
Nov '17

I love that I live in an area where "Goat loose on Beatty St." can be a concern. ;-)

Small-town/country living is the best. (I do not miss living in major cities!)

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '17

This one ---->
is 14 years old today.
I think that's like 110 in Shepherd years.
So lucky!

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '17

After 14 months of wrangling back and forth about an over payment on a bill 18 months old, I finally got my refund check yesterday!!

Got my Hot Dog Johnny ornament today after I renewed my license:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Dec '17

I an happy to have a Son In Law that is coming out to pick up my brother and I to take us out to Ohio for Christmas. I haven't felt well enough to go out there for a few years. Praise the Lord.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '17

Cracking a big smile with this video:

https://youtu.be/QVtgtJQ8AZM

Happy to have such good friends in my life. I don’t always get to see them or even talk to them because of our crazy schedules, but it’s nice to know that they are there. My tribe totally rocks!

Antimony Antimony
Dec '17

I bought some mega roll toilet paper rolls that did not fit on the toilet paper holders in 2 of my 3 bathrooms. After spending quite a few minutes searching on the net to even find out what the proper name was for the spindle extenders so that I could buy them, I came across some info. Charmin will send up to 3 of them free of charge. Just call 800-877-1410 to request them. I guess it truly does not take very much to make me happy!

Simple things Simple things
Jan '18

• It's a glorious day out.
• Only 4 more days until we welcome a new (furry) family member home.
• The house is clean. At least relatively clean. Probably not as clean as your house, but it will do lol.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '18

I’m happy because we have a little cash and that helps but most of all we have our health and hope for the future.

Grumpier oldgit Grumpier oldgit
Feb '18

I am Happy because despite the snowy day and hazardous driving day today out there... my new freezer purchased from Lowes in Hackettstown was delivered as predicted this morning at 9 a.m. and our old (very heavy) freezer removed and taken away. These guys even shoveled our front walk for us..

joyful joyful
Mar '18

I'm happy to be alive. Its been a tough road but I'm still here.

Yarrl Yarrl
Mar '18

- I saw a crocus. (Technically that means any more snow is illegal, right?)
- The Spring peepers were chirping last night!
- Relieved I can keep my same surgeon if I choose.
Many reasons to be happy. Gratitude is so important. :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

Here's your crocus Rebecka. These have been out off and on for the last week.

Now the crocci* are going to get snowed on again!!

I'm happy because Ned's show bows are here, and a really sweet gal in Michigan handmade them... and yes, I'm super easily happy. It's the little things in life. :-P

*It's the plural of crocus I swear.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

I heart convection.

Nuff said.

Fired up the grill!

justintime justintime
Apr '18

I'm happy because I moved the f*** out of NJ to Virginia and I don't have that disgusting commute to NYC anymore.

ASfromBklyn ASfromBklyn
Apr '18

One week of house arrest -- completed!! Only 2 more to go.

Not house arrest like with an ankle bracelet (I'm not that interesting). I had the back surgery and am on the no-car-rides list. Imagine staying at home for 3 weeks straight. With really bad ADD. (I practically have a little paper chain to count down the days.)

And yes BTW that's why I have way more time to post here than I normally do. It's not like I somehow acquired Kanye-dragon-energy.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

I'm happy because Rebecka is obviously recovering well.................

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

I am glad to hear it is over with. I hope it is a TOTAL success for you. When you are my age 3 weeks fly by. I call my Apt my Man Cave.

Old Gent Old Gent
May '18

I am Happy too because Rebecka is healing and doing well...

joyful joyful
May '18

I have just been given the exciting news that there is a nest with just-hatched baby birds in the rafters of our chicken coop. What a perfect place the bird parents chose: safe, and protected, and food and water available to them 24/7. Making the long journey over to the coop to see them is going to be my PT for the day! Can't wait to hear the little cheep-cheep-cheeps.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Learning how to walk again. Yay, walking good.

Just did slow lap around outside for my PT. Birds singing their hearts out after storm. Even heard the mystical Wood Thrush calling for a mate in the forest.

And everything is so green now after the storm! Green enough to almost hurt the eyes. Nature... so beautiful.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

"Lumbar" is a region of the lower back, but "plumbago" has a second meaning too - it's a flower. ;-)

I just learn I will be having my fourth child!

Proud liberal Proud liberal
May '18

Congratulations on your soon to be new addition!

Bessie Bessie
May '18

On some days this forum is better than a barrel of cheese-eating monkeys.

Thank goodness for the humor while the country bites the dust and half of us posters eek our way to hell. At least we can still have fun on our rides.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Note I posted that before the news of the most recent school shooting.

My heart is now heavy, and all I can do is finish my article about why the mass shootings are happening and hope someone publishes it.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Rebecka, is the article you are writing the reason why you started your thread?

positive positive
May '18

Yes, positive. Pretty sure you could help me write it, too. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

@GC

Roses are red,
violets are blue,
in 18 hours I can't figure out your post,
so here is a video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enDIkkqPVno

Enjoy your weekends, GC and all. ;-)
I'm outta here.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

ps Please no one call the ASPCA about the cat's name. He very much earned it.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Rebecka - "Jeopardy". Final answer was about adding the letter "p" to a lower back condition to get a word that means the lead in a pencil. My post was my way of figuring out the clue. "Lumbar" is the lower back. "Lumbago" is pain in the lower back. So "plumbago" is graphite, as in "plumbum" the Latin word for lead.

Rebecka - That is so not right to do to a cat... Ned is full of bolonka.

Sugar Sugar
May '18

Omg the sky. Right now.

And this post accounting for the last 1% of my iPhone battery. Goodbye, phone. See you tomorrow.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Red at night, sailor's delight.

Personally, I'm happy because my mom's vision is 50% better in an instant. That rocks even if it's expensive.

I've recently realized that everything happens for a reason. If you meet certain people in your life, it wasn't an accident, it was for a reason. And if you put on your thinking cap, you'll be able to figure out why. In my case, I've met certain people because they are super smart and may be willing to be on the Board of an International NGO I'm starting. Everything, EVERYTHING, happens for a reason. And the way things all tie together is kind of mind-blowing. But then again, my little mind is easily blown... and that's why I *need* to be surrounded by people who are way smarter than I am. If I'm not, what I want to do won't get done.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Rebecka,

I'd sure like to know the reason a bus driver thought it was a bright idea to cross multiple lanes of traffic on Rt 80.

I'd sure like to know the reason those individuals lost lives/ are severely injured.

Please clue me in.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

So that moving forward, bus drivers will be better evaluated for aptitude in driving people's precious children around. That's why those two people gave their lives, and others were injured. So that stupid preventable bus accidents won't happen unnecessarily to many more kids in the future.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Rebecka,

There will be more evaluations- but it will continue to happen anyway, somewhere, sometimes.

People give their lives all of the time and things still stay the same.
Drinking and driving, etc.

Things "happen for a reason" really makes no difference at all.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

It DOES make a difference. And making a difference is exactly, and in fact the entire, point.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Rebecka,

I guess if you say so, in CAPITAL letters, than it is correct.
Do drunk driving laws make a difference?
Plenty of drunks still driving around, even police officers crashing while drunk.

Statistics show that the laws make much less of a difference in fatalities vs quick access to quality medical facilities. IOW, it's the medical profession saving the drunks, not the laws.

So maybe, you are right- these people gave their lives in order to teach first responders, nurses, doctors on how to treat severe injuries and keep fatalities to a minimum...

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

I am Happy today because I have not been feeling too great these last few days and today was my first day out in a while to do some shopping and errands that had to be done. Trying to accomplish everything as quickly as I could, I grabbed this cart in Walmart and knew pretty soon that was a mistake as it was screeching and making terrible noise as I pushed it through the store... but had already loaded it with a case of water and some other things I needed. Third aisle over...this nice young man came up to me and all he said to me was, Wait here for a minute..I will be right back. Back he came with another cart..proceeded to load all of my things into the new "quiet" cart and took the old one back. I thanked him so much for helping to make the rest of my shopping there much more enjoyable. (and I am sure for everyone else in the store)..

joyful joyful
Jul '18

I just got a Panasonic RF-2400 portable radio to take on camping trips! Love jammin' out to AM stations!

Farmall49 Farmall49
Jul '18

[Jeopardy fan alert]

Our family has been very good friends with a family from Lesotho. Dad is an Englishman, mom is from Swaziland. But they met and got married in Lesotho.

Yes, that's a very southernmost land locked country. ;-)

Without that experience it would be very difficult to think of. But when you know a Swazi that lived in Lesotho, you actually have a bit of a quandary thinking which of the two is more southerly...

It's a great time to be alive!! LOL.

OMFG I would have stopped going to work

skippy skippy
Aug '18

TGM fixed my AC this morning..............replacement of the ancient system postponed and it's almost cold in the house!!!

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '18

I had a very handsome man come to my door a few minutes ago bearing a gift from my sweet HL friend by the name of Bessie.. I think she might have heard my plea through the grapevine for some really good zucchini bread, like my sister used to make for me each year before she passed on...Hubby and I sat down with a cup of tea and have already made a big dent in that first loaf of bread. It is soooooooooooo good!!! Thank you, Bessie...so very much..You just made my day!!...

joyful joyful
Aug '18

Joy, so glad you and your hubby enjoyed it. I’m happy I made you happy!

Bessie Bessie
Aug '18

I made a superb chicken piccatta today. Thinly sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts (I slice them myself), marinated for two hours in extra virgin olive oil, finely chopped garlic, lemon juice and parsley. Quick fried with fresh mushrooms, deglazing the pan with chicken stock, extra dry vermouth and the lemon/garlic marinade. Topped with capers. Delish!

DannyC DannyC
Aug '18

Half of Americans are in favor of Congress beginning the impeachment process of Trumputin.

happiest girl
Aug '18

Bessie, could you post your recipe? Either in this thread or on here?
http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/853004#t853010

I always look for recipes that are tried and true! Thanks!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '18

3wbdwnj, I second that! This thread would be good. Thank you Bessie!

Spring fever Spring fever
Sep '18

... I'm on my way to see Social D in Philly. Mike Ness rules!!!

https://youtu.be/oh8zcbC_Dcw

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/08/social-distortion-trump-fight/

ianimal ianimal
Sep '18

I'm happy that Senator Flake stood up to not vote for Judge Kavanagh until an FBI investigation is conducted.

Hoping there will be an investigation..it's the right thing to do.

positive positive
Sep '18

1943 Farmall tractor and 1945 New Idea picker. ~75 years old and still going strong, harvesting the animal corn in our field. 60-70,000 pounds to pick and put up to keep the wildlife fat and happy from now until spring. Love all around.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '18

Rebecka

I know that all the auto manufacturers were making military equipment during the WWII years, but I guess Farmall and the other tractor makers were still able to make them, since food was an urgent thing for the war effort then. I guess I'll have to google that now, since it makes me curious. I visited the Packard Museum in Warren Ohio this year and it turns out they were busy churning out high power engines for the PT Boats - 4 per Boat!

In any case, those are awesome classics you have there!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '18

That's the tractor my Grandfather had and drove my Mom to a schoolhouse on very cold days -- it always started up even at -20F.

Take a look at old beauties on tractor rides:

https://whoradio.iheart.com/featured/tractor-ride-blog/content/2018-07-16-2018-who-tractor-ride-photos/

Hungarian Tokaji Aszú, and destined to be opened all three at once for comparative taste testing. In heaven right now.

(And please try Tokaji if you haven't already come across it yet in your travels; it's pretty much the elixir of the gods.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '18

Getting photobombed by Giorgio while having a drink with Erich von Daniken at the hotel bar...

ianimal ianimal
Nov '18

That’s really cool! I Googled Erich and found out who he is but who is Giorgio? And can you tell us the circumstances.....was it a chance meeting?

Quiet one Quiet one
Nov '18

Giorgio Tsoukalis is the crazy-haired guy from Ancient Aliens on the History Channel. We're in Baltimore for the weekend for AlienCon and just happened to book our room at the same hotel all the presenters are staying at. We got to chat with Nick Pope and David Childress in addition to Giorgio and Mr. Von Daniken. It's been a lot of fun so far...

http://www.thealiencon.com

ianimal ianimal
Nov '18

1) Nice new gravatar.

2) That is so freakin cool that you are at AlienCon, ianimal.

3) IMO you are morally obliged to share all the info on aliens and extraterrestrials you receive at AlienCon on HL. Every. Last. Detail.

I know so many (smart) people who are addicted to the Ancient Aliens show. I think one of the biggest draws, and its principal contribution, is that it expands the imagination as to what might be possible.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '18

My observation is that "Ancient Aliens" expands the HAIR instead of the imagination. ;-)

No, no, you've got it all wrong. The hair is just a *side effect* of the massively expanded imagination. Ian will no doubt return to town with a similar 'do. (He should be easy for us all to spot.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '18

Silly me, I thought the hair was a side effect of bad hair gel. Either that or about 15,000 volts.

In any case, Ian is never hard to miss...

My daughter made me the most beautiful handwritten birthday card ever!

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Nov '18

“My daughter made me the most beautiful handwritten birthday card ever!”...Dodgebaal...treasure it always. That’s the best gift you could receive. Make sure date is on there, someplace. It helps so much later, when you take that trip down memory lane...and believe me, it sneaks up quick. When my children were old enough to talk, and they asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I said the same thing every year, and still do, even though they’re adults now: ”Just write me a short note on why you think I’m a good (parent).”, and gave them a few bucks to buy me something at the school store....they wanted to wrap presents. Thirty years later, they’re still trying to think of something to write! LOL...guess I shouldn’t have used video game “time out”, as punishment.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Nov '18

Dodgebaal, it would be a lovely keepsake to have a picture of you and your daughter holding the card

Quiet one Quiet one
Nov '18

When you have a 100% legit **need** to buy two sets of Mickey Thompsons.

(Things are about to get fun.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '19

A "3 Fer!" with Number One in the works and almost a reality.

1. I'm happy because Maduro is on his way out!
2. Maybe I'll be fishing the La Guairá Bank for white marlin again before I die?
3. Maybe on a boat taken from one of the Captain for the use of the people?

It's strange how many times over the last 150 years, many have offered "Free Stuff" and equality for their citizens and then become lazy, greedy, and/or angry at these same citizens for wanting "Free Stuff" and equality. Much to the chagrin of the citizens. Like in Dr Zhivago when he comes home from the war to find his home taken over by the local socialist political board.

Maduro is the latest entry on failed policy with "Mad Bob" Mugabe, Pol Pot, Mao, Idi Amin, Lenin, Hitler, Stalin...

One-eyed Poacher One-eyed Poacher
Jan '19

First day of spring is less than 2 months from now.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Feb '19

My vacation is right around the corner. It’s been a tough year!

I have finally perfected several of my go-to recipes.

That my friends who laughed about my love of cleaning and organizing are currently addicted to the Marie Kondo show on Netflix. My tribe might have arrived!

Antimony Antimony
Feb '19

Happy to hear you are taking a well-earned getaway, Antimony -- hope you have a wonderful time!
And glad so many others are jumping on the Marie Kondo bandwagon. It can be life-transforming!

I'm happy because I taught my 4-year-old niece how to do selfies yesterday...

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '19

... and my phone was returned 45 minutes later with hundreds of new and wonderful images.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '19

Because the cheating Patriots are gonna lose ! Well . . . I can dream !

htownguy htownguy
Feb '19

I finally got flickr working again - so I can download all the pix there that I no longer have on my pute ---- YAY

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '19

I enjoy reading Jim L playing Whac-A-Mole with the know it all “experts” stating their “facts”. Doesn’t he ever get tired of it? lol

Iamrite Iamrite
Feb '19

The NRA is on the brink of shutting down forever!
Yes!!

happiest girl
Mar '19

Hate to break it to you
Happy girl. We aren’t going anywhere. The NRA is composed of millions of average American members. It’s not some loose gaggle of oligarchs. Stop with the hate.

Toby cavanaugh Toby cavanaugh
Mar '19

Hate to break it to you Toby.
It's news straight from Executive Vice President LaPierre's mouth.

happiest girl
Mar '19

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nra-could-shut-down-forever-group-warns-in-fundraising-letter-194322998.html

Cuomo apparently apparently is having NYDFS attack any bank or insurance company that deals with them - believe it or not the NRA is a NY Corp

The ACLU is actually defending the NRAhttps://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech/new-york-state-cant-be-allowed-stifle-nras-political-speech
Welcome to bizarro world

Skippy Skippy
Mar '19

You clearly misinterpreted. Not until yo successfully open the re-education camps will you do away with the nra members. Sorry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yShra1R2ivk

Toby cavanaugh Toby cavanaugh
Mar '19

My niece is home on Spring Break!! So happy to see her and hear all about her college adventures. To be young again.. LOL!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '19

Because I’m about to retire young in Delaware with the love of my life! I don’t care if we live in a cardboard box as long as we’re together.

Congrats RAS!

Skippy Skippy
Mar '19

Right attitude RAS!

Yay RAS!

maja2 maja2
Mar '19

Thanks everyone! We’re down here now looking for a home but it’s slow going. If you want a stick house it’s too much money and if you want a double wide, they’re musty smelling and you have to pay monthly lot rent. Oh and you might have to pay cash for it too. I know we could find something in a different area but we’re looking at the Lewes/Rehoboth area to stay close to the ocean.

RAS, we are in Millsboro (about 30 minutes) from Lewes/Rehobeth area. Plantation Lakes in Millsboro is building a whole new section (townhouses and single family). It is quite a bit cheaper here than right near the water. If I can help in any way you can PM me . Good Luck!!

Mariann Mariann
Mar '19

I am happy this weekend especially because of my wonderful friends. HL friend GC..helped me with my computer problems...HL Robin was so kind as to give us tickets to see a show I have been wanting to see for a long time. Other friend Debbie came to our home today and hooked up a brand new monitor for my computer and fixed my sound. Another family friend replaced the battery in my smoke alarm that was driving me crazy with its constant twirping (not allowed to do ladders anymore).. Now, the doorbell just rang and my old boss stood there with warm Yugoslavian pieta bread for our dinner tonight. I am so Blessed to have such wonderful friends in my life.

joyful joyful
Jun '19

Sitting on the front porch, beautiful sky, trees, temperature, breeze. VBG

Your post made me smile too Joyful. :-)

justintime justintime
Jun '19

Joyful...nice to see you have so many friends willing to help when needed. I always believe you get what you give. You and Les have given much to this community, so it’s only karma that you would be on the receiving end now. So glad you enjoyed the show. Clyde and I were happy you could use them.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '19

@ Bessie...Did not realize I did not use your screenname in my post. Sorry. But not sorry for the tickets to the show...It was great and thank you so much, again..

joyful joyful
Jul '19

I just read this great article about this little boy and it just renewed my faith a bit more.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/boy-6-wears-i-will-be-your-friend-tshirt-to-first-day-of-school-so-bullied-kids-dont-feel-alone-202622763.html

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '19

Blake really is an amazing little man,JrzyGirl88. Wonderful story.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Aug '19

1,000 words....

ianimal ianimal
Sep '19

"Schlaglochfestbierverein"

The special group of revelers celebrating Oktoberfest with a brew dedicated to your local DPW. Extreme humor on the German American Hour. ;-)

ianimal, beautiful picture!

...I had my first yearly review at work and it was all positive and got a raise!

Tracy Tracy
Oct '19

I'm Happy Because we are Blessed with such good friends and family....In the midst of this coronavirus scare and those of us that are housebound now with compromised immune systems.. we are finding that.our friends (most of them from Hackettstown Life) and family have been calling and messaging and reaching out to us doing errands, food shopping and other things to help us get through it all. (Keeping our 6 foot distance, of course).. We are so appreciative...

joyful joyful
Mar '20

In am happy My daughter found this place in Ohio for me to live.Especially in this environment today This place is locked down and pretty secure It does not change our lifestyle very much. Just no visitors and no outside internment. My lord sent me to this little heaven on earth for the rest of my days, Praise the Lord

Old Gent Old Gent
Mar '20

Be thinking about you OG. So glad to hear about your situation. When you first mentioned the place; I took a look and was impressed.

Happy they locked you down before the storm. Stay safe OG.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Mar '20

Being stuck at home gives me a chance to bake, which I love.

Today, no-knead dutch oven bread, made with the whey from homemade ricotta I made last night.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '20

Sunday was brown butter chocolate chunk cookies.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '20

Old Gent, your happiness brings tears to my eyes! Good health to you and your neighbors!

maja2 maja2
Mar '20

Oooooh Tracey, now I’m happy too! Thanks for sharing. I am baking tomorrow tyvm!

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Mar '20

I'm more amused than happy. Neighbor is having an open house today. I have been ringing Bluegrass music in the driveway and beyond as I work on some chores. I want to let these folks with the out of state plates know how we roll here in Hackettstown! LMAO!!

As an aside, there must have been at least 30 cars stop in this morning. I'd say 20% with out of state plates. We are a destination town!

Did you take an informal survey? Were most from New York?

Actually I would say what I saw and after chatting with some of the other folks on the block today, ( bunch of Clara Edwards' we are LOL). I'd say it was 70-30% NY and Pa. I did see a Delaware plate I believe as well.

Fathers day, good friends, food, beers, tunes, and best kids ever.
Beat that, right?
Enjoy all….

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '21

2"-thick, USDA Prime, bone-in ribeye...

ianimal ianimal
Jun '21

Yesterday afternoon while waiting for the pharmacist to return to open the pharmacy after the daily lunch closure at Walmart I enjoyed a conversation with a couple of the nicest people. As I approached I heard a lady announcing that the gentleman waiting a few feet away from her was causing trouble. I saw right away her wonderful sarcastic sense of humor. In my typical extroverted manner I joined right in with these two strangers asking her who let this riff raff in here anyway pointing to her husband! She was 96 and he was 91. Married just 8 months before he was drafted during the war. We laughed and joked for 20 minutes while we waited. I learned he was a pharmacist and owned the pharmacy in Washington for over 30 years. He was eager to jump back behind the counter to satisfy the growing crowd that was waiting for the tardy pharmacist LOL. They had the most wonderful sense of humor. We enjoyed quite a bit of laughter and conversation while we waited. Good time! I later reflected on their lovely carefree and happy disposition even while we waited during the mundane task of picking up a prescription.

Great post, Greg! Politics and Covid brought out the worst in most people. I hope we can all go back to the disposition of that couple. :-)

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Sep '21

this commercial

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=owg6WfRA3Aw&pp=ygUUc2hvcHJpdGUgZnJlZSB0dXJrZXk%3D

this commercial

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Ao1dVii4E&pp=ygUUc2hvcHJpdGUgZnJlZSB0dXJrZXk%3D

Those are funny! Almost sounds like Ed Helms is singing Lol!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.