Camp's Auto Repair

I just read John Camporini is no longer at Camp's on Stiger. Does anyone know if he opened a new shop or possibly is working at another shop in the area? I have always trusted his work as well as Vaughn's and would like to continue bringing my vehicle to him/them if possible. Maybe Vaughn is still there, I don't know. I have been taken advantage of very, very badly by two local shops in the past and I'm really nervous now to have to use or find a new mechanic if Mr. Camp has retired.

weebiekins weebiekins
Apr '17

I have always used John also, and have no complaints. He was always up front and honest, and if he couldn't fix something, (like transmissions) he would let you know and recommend someone who could. I think his son is running the new place, but I too will be looking elsewhere with John gone.

Bruce juice
Apr '17

I'm confused by this post? I just had my car worked on by John @ Camp's Auto less than a month ago, he was there when I called and when I brought my car in and picked it up.

DeniseW DeniseW
Apr '17

Wasn't John the owner? Did he retire?

It's been about two months but I had an oil change there. I use them all the time. From what I saw, and I'll admit it wasn't a lot, John (the owner) didn't do much of the repair work anymore.

If the place is run by one of the mechanics, I would still trust them. They've always done great work.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '17

The number to reach John Camporini is now 908-319-1041. He will be happy to fill his old customers in on his proposed new location...Great guy and good friend...

Joyful Joyful
Apr '17

I had heard too that John was not retiring, just moving location. I'll be still taking my business to John.

What two local shops have burned you in the past weebiekins?

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Apr '17

Rhyme Animal do you mind if I DM you with the info?

Thank you Joyful! So glad he still around!

Denise W. I did too which is why I completely confused! It's in the Classifieds of this site.

weebiekins weebiekins
Apr '17

GC I called and left him a message, but if you have found where he is would you mind DMing me the info, please? Thanks!!

weebiekins weebiekins
Apr '17

Re: Camp's Auto Repair

His son Michael took over the business. It is now Camps Family Auto Care and he had a Facebook page.

FYI----In case anyone was wondering where Kevin the mechanic that was at Camp's for seven plus years , He didn't move to NC , like someone falsely was telling everybody, He has opened his own shop for the past year and a half , If you want phone number or shop location just email us ,,,

Thanks. Was wondering where Kevin was.

Pampurr Pampurr
Apr '17

Joyful-I am confused, will John have a new location? Even though his son is the owner of the original location, and it says Camps family...

tripsy tripsy
Apr '17

tripsy - Yes he will.

Tripsy...Please call John at the 908-319-1041 and he will explain everything to you and where his new location is planned. Thanks..

Joyful Joyful
Apr '17

How is Camp's with transmissions? Any comments on Aamaco in Hackettstown?
thanks!

confused confused
Apr '17

For transmissions I would recommend Hackettstown Motor Imports on Stiger St.

852-0747

I would stay far far far away from Aamco on High St.

The Man The Man
Apr '17

There is a long discussion of where to get transmission work done, just use the Forum Search at the top of the Forum page.

I checked the forums regarding transmission work and I'm still somewhat at a loss. Some stated for transmission work use someone who does only that specific work and not a general mechanic. Many mentioned Victor Dean and Valley Auto. I called both and gave them my info and am waiting to hear back from Valley. I originally had other work done at OK4WD and they noticed my trans cooler lines needed to be replaced and the trans oil pan was heavily rusted and seeping oil. They do not do that type of work. They stated it should be repaired sooner than later. I've called a bunch of places, Johnson Dodge/Jeep in Washington, Camp's (who was more than Johnson), AAmco, Royal Transmission, Victor Dean and Valley Auto. Everyone was very nice and helpful. I just want the work done right the first time and not taken advantage of.

confused confused
Apr '17

Victor Dean does all my work plus the work on all our pickups and vans at work. Great honest guy, very talented with other repairs as well.

thehazguy thehazguy
Apr '17

Anyone have (John) Camp's new location phone #? I called the number Joyful gave me (thank you!) and it seems like a cell #. I left a message but did not hear back. Thank you, in advance, if you know the new #!

tripsy tripsy
Aug '17

@tripsy you have mail

weebiekins weebiekins
Aug '17

Saturday mornings are not the same old buddy. To get in touch w/Camp use his old phone number; 852-6113

Olde Kool-Aid Gang
Aug '17

Exactly, the old number (852-61133) still works although it now goes directly to John. He doesn't come into the shop every day, so you need to make an appointment. I had an oil change done two weeks ago. And I'm getting more work done in a week or two.

The correct number is 852-6113

Olde Kool-Aid Gang
Aug '17

I've taken my SUV to Camps a few times in the past and need to bring it in now. Does John still do the work? I was very happy with them in the past but if his son did the work should I just go back to the location on Stiger and have him do it, should I go to where John is now or should I even go to where Kevin the mechanic is? I don't know which of the three gave me great experiences. Or maybe it was a combination. Just don't know where to take it now.

JellyB JellyB
Aug '17

Sorry, an extra 1 there. ;-)

JellyB - John now does all the work personally. It's now "John's Auto Repair" and he's the only one doing the work.

Thank you all!!

tripsy tripsy
Aug '17

John didn't do the work when Kevin was there ,, Kevin did it all ,, if JellyB is questioning about going to John or look for Kevin stay with John , your his customer ,,,,

Thanks for the info. I will bring my explorer to John. I know it has issues but need to know if it is worth fixing or if it is now in the never ending, everything is breaking stage and time to let it go.

JellyB JellyB
Aug '17

Is this location still in business?

local_resident local_resident
Apr '18

Too bad they don't work on German cars, said they were too complicated. LOL! So if anyone has a German car I cannot recommend Alex at DTA in Budd Lake. The best and very reasonable.

So, that's a yes Don? You were there recently? I went by Saturday and again this morning and the door was locked and no note in the door...

Apr '18

No sorry not there recently. I contacted them over a year ago for a brake job, they turned me down. I've driven by from time to time to use the Quick Check plaza, could have sworn I saw activity or cars outside, but maybe there is another service place next door?? Sorry not much of a help as to whether they're still open.

Vaughn I believe works at the shop further down Stiger Street by the police station

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Apr '18

Yep, lots of activity because of business' on either side of Camps. One auto body and one other type of service place.

I had work done at Camps though and the phone doesn't seem to be going through and the door is locked twice now. Just hoping they are still there to fix issue (with work they did).

Apr '18

He is closed. He did a brake job on our car on a Saturday and closed a few days later. We are now having problems with the $320 brake job and can't even go back to him. Nothing like his father that's for sure!

Once John left I was done with them. I didnt have a good feeling about the way it all went down, very sudden and kind of strange.

Deviljet
Apr '18

Same way I can't understand how no one could buy, or he could sell, that beautiful Warren County Mirror and Glass to someone in Stanhope. Somebody in H-town missed a deal on that one.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '18

Most of all I really miss the Saturday morning group of guys @ Camps. John always made us laugh with his tales and picking on some of our group members. Sad to say some of those members are no longer with us.

Thanks for the laughs John.

jerseyboy
Apr '18

Door locked again today, and no answer on the phone. Looks like this business is done.

Apr '18

Mr. Camp now shares space with the shop across from the train station parking lot if anyone is looking for him.

weebiekins weebiekins
Apr '18

Yes, but will he (John) be taking care of the customers that his son screwed last week/the week before/this month? I know the answer.

The problem is he (the son), obviously knew he was going to close and did whatever he had to do to make a quick buck. It was a dirty play.

Apr '18

Boy that didn't take long for the kid to run a decent business into the ground

Wally Wally
Apr '18

He closed up the week after Easter. A few days after he charged us $327 for a brake job. When they called to let us know the car was ready they claimed the credit card machine was down so bring cash. I said I'll bring a check and they really didn't want to take that either. Well a check is what they got, all we got was brakes we have to take somewhere else and pay more money to make them right.

You and me both Cc. He ruined it in just under one year, after his dad was in the business for 20+ years Wally.

SMH

Apr '18

The first time and the last time that I went there his son ripped me off also when John was at the Jersey Shore. I told John the next week when he came back and he did not believe me. So he ripped me off too But I do not blame him for sticking up for his son the weak link of the Shop

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Apr '18

Re: Camp's Auto Repair

Just found this on the Hackettstown Police FB page.

Not sure how this clown will be repairing anyone’s vehicle in the near future, but the good news is he will probably be making license plates soon!!!!!

Drugs are bad Drugs are bad
May '18

I got taken for 457.00. Wouldnt take check or debit had to go to atm to get car out. Still had to take it elsewhere. Spent more $.

Pissed Pissed
May '18

Pissed you probably paid for his drug habit.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

Hackettstown police blotter. Looks like a stolen vehicle charge. Unfortunate. He was given a opportunity at a successful business.

Petunia 17 Petunia 17
May '18

The owner of the building has extended his business to include some mechanical work. Therefore the location will continue to be auto repair, as well as auto body. No sense is wasting the lifts and tools!

May '18

Washington Twp PD (Warren County) picked Mr Mike Camporini up back on 7/22 for that ongoing outstanding Woodland Park warrant.

"07/22/18 WTPD arrested Michael Camporini, age 38, of Washington, NJ for a $250.00 outstanding warrant out of Woodland Park Borough. On 07/22/18 at 1:32 PM officer’s responded to a residence in the 200 block of Rte 31 N. in Washington Township to serve paperwork on Mr. Camporini. The officer made contact with Mr. Camporini and took him into custody without incident. He was processed and released with new court date."

https://nixle.com/alert/6703158/

Drugs are baaad Drugs are baaad
Jul '18

I feel bad for John and his family. He has helped his son numerous times.
Very sad for everyone.

jerseyboy
Jul '18

No they are no longer there because they didn’t pay their rent so they are out of business as far as I know!

Jewel lyons Jewel lyons
Aug '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.