Carpenter Bee removal

Am looking for someone who can help remove carpenter bees. Any suggestions?

DrLAF DrLAF
May '16

My husband uses a tennis racket and wacks bees every morning...uugg..very annoying . Looks for little piles of sawdust, on the floor, near wooden tables, finds a hole, and if a bee is in there, he puts duct tape over the hole.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Jun '16

Delsea Pest Control they took care of mine about 3 years ago. Have not been back since.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jun '16

Call Ryan at All Season Pest. He's the best. I believe he gives a discount if you tell him you heard about him on HL.

908-850-8206

http://myallseasonspestcontrol.com/

I've utilized Western Pest Service...very thorough.

Evergreen'69 Evergreen'69
Jun '16

I'm not bad with a tennis racket either however I made a trap I saw on Facebook and have had astonishing results. In fact I just took in a new tenant over the weekend. At one point in a 24 hour span I collected 11 bees.

This is the link to make one.

http://www.myfrugalhome.com/how-to-build-a-carpenter-bee-trap/

I use a tennis racket but favor the racquetball to be more upfront and personal. Amazing how some of the little buggers taunt you by flying in your face and daring you to swing (you'll hardly ever get those guys, they must be top of the bee food chain).

Got to watch where they fall, often you just stun them.

Have also hit them with the 20-foot Raid spray but that's more expensive by far.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '16

Greg. Thanks for that link ^^^

not sack
Jun '16

That trap looks awesome and pretty easy to make, as long as you have the right tools.

I have a question......why do you think it has to be cut at an angle? They have it so the front is 4" and the back is 7", i believe.....Not sure I understand why you can't make one simply 4" straight across????

Hope my question makes sense????

littlelu littlelu
Jun '16

The angled top allows room for the angled holes that you drill and helps with rain run off. It’s not absolutely essential, though. You could always make the trap a bit longer (to accommodate the drilled holes) and then go with a flat top.

Steven Steven
Jun '16

Last night I was on the deck and I could hear then burrowing!

My parents just used Vikinga couple weeks ago and haven't seen one since.

Sm25
Jun '16

Thanks, all - this is very helpful!

DrLAF DrLAF
Jun '16

Yellow whiffle ball bat is the go to exterminator for carpenter bees.

Jimjones Jimjones
Jun '16

Great link Greg...I will be building a few and will let you guys know how they work!

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

Re: Carpenter Bee removal

I made two of the traps listed in Greg's link yesterday. Once you have all the tools out, it becomes very easy to make these traps. No takers yet, but I still need to plug up the existing holes.

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

For those of you non handy peeps, they sell these traps pre assembled, reasonably priced, on the web. Still waiting for some tenants in my hotel.....

Bee hotelier Bee hotelier
Jun '16

Keep waiting. I built one a few years ago and it sat empty all summer while the bees kept chowing down. Maybe I built it wrong...

As far as the whiffle ball bat/tennis racket crowd goes, you're probably only killing the males. The females do all the drilling/demolition and the males fly around the outside of the hole all day to protect it. The males only go inside at night. Even if you have an exterminator come and spray you will only kill the bees for the season. The reason they dig is to lay larvae that will hatch the following season. You kill them all this year and the babies just stay in the wood incubating.

Pretty good deal for the exterminator. Not so much for me.

Blazin
Jun '16

Blazin, as discussed on the website, you have to get a foam killer that will fill the bee hole and kill the larvae as well.

I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Advanced-Termite-Carpenter-Killer/dp/B014PPFRVM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Also, you have to fill the current holes so they cannot get in and look for somewhere else to go.

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

Thanks, Darrin!

Blazin
Jun '16

Don't thank me, thank Greg! I had no idea about this until he enlightened me!

Thanks again Greg!

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

Problem is getting up high enough to fill the holes. I hate heights, and do not go on ladders.

I will happily pay one of you more brave souls to climb, spray the foam killer and then fill all the holes on my house with caulk/putty.

Re: Carpenter Bee removal

You're welcome! I scored two more over the past few days. That is nearly 20 so far this season.

I have not gotten anything yet, but I think that is because I have not filled in the existing holes yet

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bg-long-reach-dustr-1153g-24050000-p-3018.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-Mm6BRDTpaLgj6K04KsBEiQA5f20Ewx4yaZl3ZmySV-8wmR8ud3Wg44AgqKg8LjJNXyke8YaAp828P8HAQ

Buy one of these with a container or 2 of delta dust.

It's exactly what an exterminator will use and charge you 300$ just to apply it.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Jun '16

We used Hennebrey Pest Service. Very professional and they took care of a major carpenter bee problem for us. Highly recommended.

MrSmith999 MrSmith999
Jun '16

Thanks GC. All Season Pest is great - called them on Saturday and had them out today to take care of carpenter bees that made themselves home in our railings. Can't say enough good things about them!

I tried to fill my holes with wood putty and the bees just pushed it right back out, so I had to cover the holes with duct tape for now. Waiting for my bee foam to come in.

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

Darrin,

Can you use the "foam in a can' (that they sell for insulating ??

Steven Steven
Jun '16

I am not sure....for now I covered or plugged the holes they opened back up with duct tape after treating them with the carpenter bee foam. I am definitely going to have to find something better to fill the holes with though.

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

Yes Darrin. It's called a professional.

Jun '16

CraftBeerBob, there are very few things I need professionals for. For the most part I have been able to overcome most anything myself with the proper research. All it takes is time which equates to experience.

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

I was joking and agree.

Jun '16

Before you use wood putty spray in a little WD-40, kills the heck out of them

eapos eapos
Jun '16

WD-40 kills them??? Another great tip!

They certainly did not like that termite and wood bee foam I got, that stuff was definitely the right tool for the job!

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.