Rutgers Summer Reading Program

hi all, i was wondering if anyone knows or has any reviews of the rutgers summer reading program held in hackettstown at the church???
i know it has nothing to do with rutgers... but they just use the name. has anyone taken the course? i have a 6 year old.. and wanted to see if there were any reviews of the course??

long valley mom long valley mom
May '16

I asked my son's Kindergarten teacher about it. She said she had no experience with it and it would be just as good to just keep reading over the summer and visit our local library. In other words, it's not worth it.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '16

If she has no experience with it, how does she know?

Challah Challah
May '16

i asked the social worker and 6 teachers at school and they had no knowledge of it even though they hand out the flyers....... so lame..
thanks gals.

long valley mom long valley mom
May '16

looks like it could be interesting: http://reading.rutgers.edu/

4catmom 4catmom
May '16

I work at another school where it is recommended. I have also known teachers who worked at the program given on campus, which was very good.

The program's teachers are certified and supervised. I cannot speak to this particular location, but it is out of Rutgers and is well-known.

If you are interested, I would encourage you to call the phone number provided for information.

The recommendations to read at home and take your child to the library are general recommendations for all year long. This structured program could provide your child with a little extra boost and/or help to prevent regression, depending on the child.

subaru subaru
May '16

I couldn't find the cost, so apparently I need the help :). Free, of course it's worth it, as long as you can do the Sunday late day schedule. No harm in giving a child extra reading time and help. I know it's not free though.

maja2 maja2
May '16

Maja - I looked into it last year and it was a few hundred bucks. I opted not to do it and ended up teaching my daughter a few extra things outside of our normal reading routine. The program looks good, it's just pretty expensive for a one day a week thing in my opinion.

Antimony Antimony
May '16

When I looked into it two years ago there was definitely a tuition. You need to enter all the information (or call the 800 number and ask how much).
Bottom line is do what you feel is right for your child.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '16

My daughter participated when she was really young - maybe the summer before starting kindergarten. I'd misread the age guidelines and signed her into a class a year ahead of her. It was good for her in that she's shy and it gave her a chance to interact with children and teachers she didn't know before going into a new school. It would have been better if I'd signed her up with kids her own age. We've never done it again because of scheduling issues.

AllamuchyMom AllamuchyMom
May '16

https://enroll.readingprograms.org/Registration/SelectSchedule.aspx?p=3650&zip=08865&Radius=25&chkProgram$0=R&chkProgram$1=1&chkProgram$2=2&chkProgram$3=3&chkProgram$4=4&chkProgram$5=5&chkProgram$6=6&chkProgram$7=7

Basically, it's $310 for 4 year-olds entering kindergarten and $370 for everyone else, including "materials fees". The Pre-K kids have five sessions at 1:15 per session. 1st through 3rd graders have five sessions at 2 hours each. 4th and 5th have five at 2:15 each and 6th grade through 12th grade and into adulthood have 5 sessions at 2:30 each, but classes are broken into 6-8th, 9-11th and 12th-adult.

ianimal ianimal
May '16

I highly recommend this program. My daughter participated in this program 2 years ago, and it does help!!!

postalmama1 postalmama1
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.