Czig Meister Brewing

Matt is a great brewer that will be making beers that exceed most and pretty much all the breweries ive been to in the area, If you don't know his beer you should, he was the Head Brewer for Kane Brewing, hes the reason for A Night to End all Dawns and Morning Bell and many other beers, check his place out which should open April/May

Craftbeerguy Craftbeerguy
Jan '16

Very excited about Matt's Place. Love Kane in general and excited to welcome him to Hackettstown. Gauging from his Instagram, it looks like he's putting a lot of work into the design of his brewery, too, which is lacking at Man Skirt (it feels like you're in an office there). Will be exciting to have another place to taste fresh brews!

fuji
Jan '16

I just happen to have a growler full of Kane Overhead in the fridge right now. Love most, if not all, of their offerings. Look forward to meeting the guy responsible for some of them and tasting his new creations. Hopefully he can open in time for MLB opening day.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

Is this the same as Jersey Girl Brewing that is mentioned in a thread below ?

Mariann Mariann
Jan '16

No, Jersey Girl brewing is in the Flanders section of Mount Olive. I believe this new brewery will be in Hackettstown proper.

Curious... is it pronounced Chig, Sig or Zig?

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

Where is this happening? On Main Street?

Heidi Heidi
Jan '16

It's on Valentine Street, just off Main. It's the building where Ford's maintenance department was.

Fuji - Are you sure you have the right place? Czig doesn't have Instagram, they have a twitter account. Their pictures have shown only the demo, I don't know that Czig even has their equipment let alone a tasting room yet. On the other hand Jersey Girl is the one with the Instagram. They have a huge setup and a completed blue stone kind of tasting room already completed. They have big time $$ in funding and are going to be 5 times bigger than Man Skirt just at the outset. Their eventual plan is to grow by 300%.

Instagram
http://instagram.com/czigmeister

Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/CzigMeister

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/CzigMeister

Its in the other part of the Dollar General building

His equipment is coming next month, Its actually US made instead ofnthe Chinese made equipement at the other 2 places

Craftbeerguy Craftbeerguy
Jan '16

Hmm..... head brewer at Kane.... interesting....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '16

If they don't have a marketing plan and events, they may as well save money and find cheap rent out of town. I know NJ laws make having fun hard to do, but breweries like Captain Lawrence know how to draw in crowds of beer lovers, as well as sell through distributors. If Manskirt has anything other than a table to sit at and have a beer, I've not heard anything about it.

Captain Lawrence has a 25,000 bbl yearly production volume, which puts them in the same general league as Weyerbacher in Easton.

As far as I know, Joe at Manskirt hasn't even "quit his day job" yet. It's kind of unfair to compare the two.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

A little competition is always a good thing. And so is a little variety. I think there is room for both breweries here in town. Many on this forum (including myself) rave about Manskirt and I think that is deserved. I've enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy many a good pint there. Sure, I will also support this new brewery. I don't see a need to choose sides. I can love many!!

JB400 JB400
Jan '16

Also Joe bought his building for Man Skirt so I'm sure most of his funds went to the purchase of that. He always said his interior is a work in progress.

I love that we will have 3 in town now. we can really use them to market the town and even plan community events around them.

darwin darwin
Jan '16

Very classy name for a brewery. I approve. ;)

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

Seems to be a unfair criticism. Completely different operations and completely different approaches and business plans.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jan '16

I didn't think Flanders was at the top of the hill!

As long as the beer tastes good, I don't care who makes the equipment.

BeerFan
Jan '16

Joe is not permitted to serve food or have entertainment based on his license. You can have food delivered or bring it in.

As for the office decor. It was a bank. He converted it to a brewery while maintaining the beautiful Art Deco touches from the original construction.

Creativemuffin Creativemuffin
Jan '16

Slainte to the craft beer movement in our town and kudos to the business owners taking a risk to add some local "flavor" downtown. Hop, hop hurray!

I thought Jersey Girls was on Sand Shore Rd in Budd lake.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '16

Jersey Girl is on Sand Shore Rd. I look for activity whenever I pass it, there is a sign on the glass doors and one on the building marquee.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Feb '16

My bad... the OWNERS are from the Flanders section of town, the actual facility is in Budd Lake.

Although, if Target is in "Long Valley", then you may as well say that the brewery is in Flanders, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

Hahahaha! So true around here!

I wish I liked beer. I run past it once or twice a week when I do a long run...

"I run until I get hungry, then I stop for a bear claw." (Penny from Big Bang Theory)

I could do that with a beer... wish they would make a hard cider - now that I could get behind.

My husband is thrilled about the new establishments - he has no plans to stop going to Manskirt (he has his chair there) but enjoys a variety of beer so he's thrilled he can support local businesses with his purchases.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Feb '16

I think Man Skirt is doing an amazing job in such a short time. Every time I go in there, it's far more crowded than I'd expect. It's a brewery, not a bar, and he's really appealing to a lot of people. Everyone I've talked to in there has been friendly and enjoying the beers - very nice atmosphere of friendly good-beer fans.

Based on Man Skirt and Czig Meister referencing each other in social media, it seems they are smart business people, knowing they can market better together than apart. This can be a win-win for the two breweries and a HUGE win for Hackettstown. I'll be supporting them both and Jersey Girl, though driving up/down the mountain after drinking beer isn't the smartest idea. I guess I'll just get growlers filled.

4of4
Feb '16

Hey All,

Finally got a chance to jump on here and answer some questions/clarify some stuff.

First off...Thank you for starting up the discussion of Czig Meister Brewing and the talk about the other breweries in the area!! So excited to be opening up here in Hackettstown and cant wait to meet and talk to everyone over a pint of some great beers.

To clarify what Czig Meister is in comparison to other places opening up...We are a production brewing company. We will have a 15 barrel brewhouse with 3-30 barrel fermenters and 3-30 barrel Brite beer tanks. (We can make 15 barrels of beer in one brew and 1 barrel is 31 gallons) There will be a tasting room at the facility where you can come in take a tour and get a pint/sampler. We will have tables and high tops that you can set down a beer at and admire the production area while having deep meaningful conversation about the beers that youre drinking. (I wont be able to serve or sell food but I wont stop you from bringing in some if you so choose) We also will be filling growlers. Our theme for the brewery is old-world crafts and trades. so we are trying to keep with the brick/iron/wood look that the building already has and just accentuate it If youve seen the sign in our window...The symbol that "czigmeister" is sitting in is a mash paddle). We are trying to associate every beer we brew with a craft or trade, blacksmithing, carpentry... that sorta thing. We will be brewing 4 year round session ales, a amber ale, pale ale, oatmeal stout and a German kolsch style ale. These will all be between 4-5.5% alcohol. Very easy drinking yet flavorful brews. We will also be making a variety of season offerings. their styles will range all over the place depending on the season, lighter easier drinking in the summer (Hefeweizen, saison, IPA...) and heavier more sipping beers in the cold months (Inperial stouts, Scotch wee heavy, barley wine...). For the tasting room we will be offering small batch "one off" single keg releases of brew that I put through my pilot system. Once the keg is done, a different brew goes on tap, so we are hoping to have some beer releases that rotate weekly as well. I hope that when we are and running you all will stop by and check it out!

Czig Meister will be similar to Joe at Man Skirt and Chuck and Mike at Jersey Girl in that we are all Production Breweries (our main focus is getting beer out to retail locations). Man Skirt has a 7 barrel brewhouse and Jersey Girl has a 30 barrel brewhouse. We all have tasting rooms in our breweries for you to come in and sample our latest and greatest fermented malt beverages. We will all be selling beer to bars and restaurants in New Jersey. We will be different in what we brew and how we brew it. Just like a chef at a restaurant, each brewer has their own way of formulating recipes, brewing and handling their masterfully crafted, artisanal beverages. So dont think that just because there is 3 breweries now in town, that there will be issues of direct competition or one business shutting out the other. The craft beer movement is about producing a variety of quality beer for the ever expanding palate of the populace. So the more breweries...the larger the variety. When that large variety is in a town like Hackettstown, (great walking town with fantastic restaurants) it brings in people from near and far to make weekend trip for craft beer tours and helps out local business and grow the town. Sure there will be some "friendly competition" between us, but that will help keep the quality of what we make in check.

There is also Homebrew University in town that is a brewing facility for the homebrewer. They have a brew-on-premise area in the back of their shop that, the owner, Warren can walk you thorough the process of brewing whatever style you want to make and at the end of the fermentation you get to take home 5-10 gallons of the beer you just made. He sells equipment and ingredients for home brewing in the front of the shop. Hes a great guy and very knowledgeable. If your considering homebrewing or already homebrew and havnt been there... Check this place out!

@ianimal - the pronunciation is Zig. The "C" is silent. Last name is Czigler and my nickname growing up was Czig.

If I missed anyone's questions or if you have a question for me or the brewery, I'll try to check this regularly. Also if something in here makes no sense...sorry, im writing this quickly between meetings...

Joe, Chuck, Mike and Warren...feel free to correct or add to anything ive put here!

THANKS EVERYONE! Cheers!

-Czig

CzigMeister
Feb '16

Czig - Thanks for posting all of that info. Reading "German kolsch style ale" made me drool. Best wishes to you!

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '16

Czig-e, zacke, Czig-e, zacke, Hoi! Hoi! Hoi!
Czig-e, zacke, Czig-e, zacke, Hoi! Hoi! Hoi!

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

Wow, Hackettstown is becoming a craft brewery town! That is awesome!

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '16

I really like the idea of the "one-off" releases.

BeerFan
Feb '16

I've often said that the craft brewing industry is one of collaboration, not competition. I'm as excited as anyone to see Matt, Chuck, and Mike coming in to town to join me in making some amazing beers. I can't wait to join them at their grand openings.

How great would it be to work with the BID and have some kind of monthly beer bus event? Or just have Matt drive everyone between the breweries on his forklift.

If you've been in to Man Skirt, you'll have some idea of what to expect. Each of our breweries will have their own look and feel, and you'll get to see different ways of doing things, differently sized vessels, but you can expect a welcoming, friendly atmosphere at any of our places. Brewers are funny that way.

I would like to address one comment, though, which I feel is a little unfair:

> Its actually US made instead ofnthe Chinese made equipement at the other 2 places

Where to source my equipment was a very important decision for me. My goal was to get everything from the US, but that's not always easy or possible. I ended up buying from a small company in Portland, Oregon, USA. Yes, the tanks themselves are fabricated in China to the company's specifications, but they are only one part of the system, and not even the largest (monetarily speaking). The electronics are all sourced from the USA, as are the pumps, chiller, heat exchanger, etc.

That is to say, we business owners don't make these decisions lightly or in a vacuum. Keeping my money local and in small business is extremely important to me. I understand consumers want to make educated choices, and I'm happy to be totally transparent about mine.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. If it's a public question, come over to the thread about my brewery so we don't hijack Matt's thread here: http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/605655

And I'll finish up with a hearty GOOD LUCK to Matt and Czigmeister Brewing!

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Feb '16

Quick update on the brewery!

Floors are all finished up, construction is full steam ahead (plumbers, electricians and framers are all working hard), kegs are in and some small equipment has been delivered. We are pushing ourselves everyday to try and get open ASAP and get some great brews to all of you. We wont be ready in time for the St. Patty's day parade this Sunday but I'll be at the brewery all morning before the parade if anyone wants to stop by and see the progress. After the parade I'll be over at Homebrew University and I've got some stickers and coaster I'll be giving away too.

Hope to see you all at the Parade!

Matt
CzigMeister

CzigMeister
Mar '16

I agree with Rebecka. I like having these breweries in Hackettstown. Can't wait till all 3 are fully online and you can go from one to the next to next.

sack
Mar '16

Grand Opening is June 11th at 12PM

Wine Country Wine Country
May '16

Woo hoo!

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Jun '16

Yay! Glad to hear it!

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

Yeah it's almost here

Mattybfat Mattybfat
Jun '16

Hope you have filtration on your water system because the water in town sucks, heavy on the chlorine, can't even boil pasta in it without it tasting like a swimming pool. Good luck tho.

Jeremy Jeremy
Jun '16

Jeremy - Not true. I asked Joe at Man Skirt about that very issue, and he said it's a very big plus for Hackettstown. Even if others complain about taste, when it comes to beer, it's supposed to be exceptional water suited for the purpose. Not a negative at all.

The overall stats on the water work well for the beer. The chlorine is an issue though. We do have a carbon filter that just pulls the chlorine out.

CzigMeister
Jun '16

Nice. Buck Hill in Blairstown is opening June 11th as well.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '16

Buck Hill isn't opening up their brewery until September. I think its just their Restaurant portion of the business.

mmmbeer mmmbeer
Jun '16

Oh, I'll wait until September then.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '16

FYI
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/06/beer_drinkers_say_these_are_njs_15_best_breweries.html#incart_river_index

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '16

Thanks Old Gent. I'm surprised how many of them are some of the newest breweries . Has anyone tried Conclave? Been meaning to get to Magnify. Haven't been over that way.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '16

Thanks for that link Old Gent. Too bad most of them are far away.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

The guy who owns #1 used to work for my firm... can't believe he's ranked higher than Kane and Carton. Good for him.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

Looking forward to Czig Meister's grand opening!! :)

Nice podcast,

https://coolshippodcast.com/2016/06/09/episode-9-czig-meister-brewing-company/

Trick Trick
Jun '16

Fantastic!!!! Tried every beer and liked the kolsch and falconer pale ale best . SueR says two steins up especialy the ipa

Just to update everyone on here. Our tasting room hours are:

Thursday 3-9
Friday 3-10
Saturday noon-10
Sunday noon-6

Come on by and enjoy a pint or a flight. We have/fill growlers to go as well.

Czigmeister
Jun '16

We were there on opening night and had a great time, enjoying the beer and the atmosphere. Now that you mention "enjoy a pint..." I have a question. The sign on the wall clearly says the beers are 12oz. Not that it's a big deal (and I'm sure there's a rational explanation) but why serve beer in pint glasses and only provide 12oz?

Best of luck in your venture!

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Jun '16

Weights and measures would want a pint to be a pint....so does Craft Beer Bob.....

Jun '16

I know the Kolsh and IPS were full pints, I think the Imperial IPA was a 12 oz pour, but it is also a 8.something %

I really enjoyed the Kolsch, in my not so humble opinion it was exceptional. The IPA is also very nice, it would be any other places best beer (But man the Kolsch is sweet). I am sure he will make a go of it and be a success.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the outdoor seating and the funky industrial feel of the place are really nice.

I am especially pleased that feel of the place is distinctive from Man Skirt, not better, not worse, just different. Same with the beer they are not competing styles, but rather complimentary style of beer. Both very nice and again in my opinion offer two great choices for beer lovers. I can see a path worn in the sidewalk as folks walk back and forth comparing beers.

Agust Agust
Jun '16

Just to explain he "12oz" decision... The glass is 16oz to the lip with no foam. So we call it a 12oz pour. We priced it for 12oz but you usually get 13 to 14. I have a marked glass that I have the servers refer to, to make sure they dont under pour. We didnt want to call it a 16oz and only give you 13 to 14oz of beer and have people feel cheated. I guess I should have called it a "pour" in my last post.... oops

CzigMeister
Jun '16

The beer at czig is truly great and the decor is equally impressive. The best new brewery in the area by far IMO. My only complaint is the pours. They do feel a little light. Anyone who orders a beer out regularly expects an inch or so of space at the top of the pint for the head but some of these pours felt really short. I would prefer the beer be priced where ever it needs to be to priced in order to provide a nearly full pint every time. Just my two cents...I will be back regardless though because I absolutely loved the place. Congrats and good luck Czig!

beer guy beer guy
Jun '16

Went and had a flight today. Enjoyed the IPA and the Amber. Took a growler of the IPA home, one of the better ones I've had lately. Pale ale was ok. Kolsch, that style isn't really for me.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '16

We stopped in last night for the first time. The beer was excellent and the atmosphere is very nice. This place is going to be a huge hit with the college crowd. It's family friendly and dog friendly, although I'm not sure why people want to brings kids and dogs to a brewery. But to each their own.

We each had a flight. I tried the kolsch, amber ale, hefeweizen and the saison. All very god.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Love it!!! My kind of place :-)

Dallas Dallas
Aug '16

Was at Mattar's last night for dinner and tried Czig's coffee oatmeal stout (sorry if this was not exactly the name or description for it), and it was excellent - one of the best beers I had in some time. Rich, complex flavor that didn't feel too 'heavy' which happens with some stouts and darker brews. If I wasn't driving I would have had a few more!

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Aug '16

I am also fond of that Oatmeal Stout beer they are serving. Good Choice. I have been here three times now, and like it more each time. The prices are good also, I think they have priced themselves right at the comfort point of most people of what they will pay for a good quality beer they make.

Highly recommended- the outdoor/indoor seating is great.

Wonder how they will work the fall/winter months, with hours they are open then.

Hope the customers keep showing up in the winter so they can keep the business going - so far this has been a great warm weather get together place.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Aug '16

Do they have COLD beer yet? Because they did NOT the two times I've gone...

Aug '16

I have not had that issue the two times I have been there Jr....love this place! Only downfall is no AC

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

No issue here...beer always cold.

Aug '16

Beer was cold all 3 times we went. Glasses were not chilled which in hot summer months might be nice to keep it cold .

Our beer was cold when we visited.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

I agree with JR...I have been there 4 times and the beer isn't very cold.

JayDee JayDee
Aug '16

Most Europeans believe Americans drink beer too cold.(and too carbonated).

EVV - True. I was just out in Slippery Rock, PA last week. We always stop at North Country Brewing Co. when we are there. They have a English style cask off the hand pump there. Deliciously kept at 55 degrees!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

They purposely don't have the beer super cold, it is at a temperature that allows your to truly experience the beer, from aroma to taste to the finish. craft beer should not be served in a chilled glass, true craft beer bars will always serve in room temperature glassware

Wine&Whiskey Country Wine&Whiskey Country
Aug '16

"Most Europeans believe Americans drink beer too cold.(and too carbonated)"

Which would be fine, IF WE WERE IN EUROPE. But this is NEW JERSEY.

"They purposely don't have the beer super cold, it is at a temperature that allows your to truly experience the beer,"

Pure opinion, and actually, being a homebrewer and a bit of a beer historian (a very little bit) myself, different styles excel at different temperatures.

Aug '16

I'll drink my beer at many temperatures, and also depends on the style of beer as well as the climate I am in.

Most of the people I know that want ICE COLD beer all the time drink crap beer anyway. :)

I thought the temperature was fine both times I was there. Their bourbon stout was delicious. That's their best beer to date, IMO.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '16

Thank you everyone for the positive remarks on the beers and the brewery! Im glad you are all enjoying everything Czig Meister has to offer and I look forward to making more great beers for you all as time goes on.

Now to address the few concerns that some have brought up... the temperature that we serve the beers at. I have the kegs in my cold storage at 42 degrees. I know some people like ice cold beer but sometimes those lower temps tend to make it difficult to taste the full range of flavors in the beer.

Being a craft brewery and making many different styles of beer, I want to make sure that everyone can get full idea of each of the flavors of the different grains, hops and yeasts that we use. Our forge batches sometimes have very slight difference in their ingredients (ex. only changing one style of hop, just adding a different base grain, or fermenting 2 of the same brews on different yeasts) to allow you to taste all that beer has to offer.

Yes, each style of beer has its own perfect temp to serve at but I am unable to temperature control each keg individually so, I decided this was a happy medium for most. Also, because my beers are tapped from my cold storage box, the beer lines are about 75 feet long. The lines are insulated and have coolant lines running along side the beer but, with these hot summer days, the beer has been shown to heat up a few degrees in the long runs. This is something that we are looking into fixing, but the fix is not cheap and will take some time to get it up and running.

Also, I know that its been quite hot in the tasting room too and Im am glad to see that people still make it out week after week to the brewery even though we dont have A/C. I've received many quotes on this for the brewery but it just wont work for us (I dont even have A/C in my back office). Having a 9000 sqft building to cool down along with wanting to open the garage doors on nice days and easy access to the Biergarten ... it just doesn't work...for now. Again, we are always looking for better ways to do things for the tasting room. We want to make people as happy and comfortable as possible while enjoying and learning about all of our beers.

I want to thank you all again for your amazing support of Czig Meister, nothing written here is meant to argue or put down anyone. I just want you all to better understand why we do things the way we do them here. Please feel free to ask questions on here or come find me at the brewery.

As of today we have our beer in over 60 bars and restaurants and I couldnt have done it with out craft beer lovers such as yourselves! Thank you! Thank you! and Thank you 1000x time more!

Cheers and good health to you all!
Matt

CzigMeister
Aug '16

Matt,

I applaud your honest, straight forward answer.

Thank you and keep up the great work!!

Hot under the collar
Aug '16

Thank you for your comments Matt. I wish you much continued success.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

CzigMeister,

Great post. Will you ever have the Bourbon Stout for purchase? I know it was limited batch, just wondering if you plan to expand the offering.

You should take up a collection for the 'JeffersonRepublican Cool Patrons and Cold American Brew' AC system. I'm sure he would make a sizable donation.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '16

With all due respect, no way were the beers we had at 42F. Perhaps they "warmed up" on their way to the tap or something, IDK.

We walked down the street the Man Skirt, and the beers were undeniably colder.

Neither was 33F, and that's not what I'm asking for. But "a little cooler than room temperature" simply won't do for me. Which is a shame, because I keep hearing fantastic things about Czig's fruit beers, which I haven't had the opportunity to try, because both times I've gone, they've been sold out.

Aug '16

We do plan on increasing our barrel aged offerings. We have some aging now in barrels. We are also working on stock piling some forge batches, especially the fruit ones, so that we can post the availability days in advance and not just the day of release.

CzigMeister
Aug '16

Matt,

I have not been to your establishment despite my intent to, so take this suggestion with that in mind. I am not aware of your layout, but is it not possible?- nor prohibitively expensive to (at least in theory) to pass the beer through a copper coil that is submerged in an actively refrigerated ice bath (think wort chiller on steroids). If the bath is cold enough and the surface area of the pipe ample, that might mitigate any rise due to the 75 foot travel.

Having never tried this, I have no idea if it would work in the real world due to time spent in said coil given rate of dispersion. I've seen copper tube with an external fining to have more surface area, and I suppose for this application an internal ribbing, especially if spiral would assist in cooling although I don't know if anything exists. I may have an idea for that if it doesn't. A little prop to mildly circulate the water around the coil could benefit as well. The only trade off would be space available for said contraption and electricity to run it. Not sure how important cold beer is to you. Should not draw any more amperage than a mini fridge, nor be much bigger. (probably because a mini fridge is exactly what I would build off of.)

I'd be more than willing to source and fabricate something for a trial run, and work only for supplies cost and beer.

Bump - Looking like lots of fun happenings this weekend at our local breweries!!! Check it out

Dallas Dallas
Oct '16

Czig had ping pong for one brief, but glorius week. Ping pong ...good beer. Hackettstown was...cool for a brief week. Place is perfect & hope the table comes back

Amisfit Amisfit
Oct '16

I've had (2) Czig beers; 1 @ Beas and the other at Hot Rods in Wharton. I love it. I have yet to try Man Skirt but the availability of Czig in multiple restaurants has made it easy for me. I'll continue to support this great venture, making hackettstown a destination for all of the local businesses. Thank you for changing the Main Street vibe. It was necessary.

Greener Pastures
Oct '16

I went for the first time last week for the Oktoberfest and was pleasantly surprised. This place is BEAUTIFUL. Everything about it was beautiful.

I wish they would make a lighter beer for us that are lame :) If they did I would prob suggest it more to the hubby.

The outside is beautiful as well.....they did this right. I wasnt sure about having breweries coming to town but if they do it like they did it will be a huge benefit to Hackettsttown.

I can't provide an opinion on Manskirt. We went there on Oktoberfest but couldnt even get in the door so we left. So apparently they are doing it right as well.

I also think is genius on how they are all working together and with the other local businesses in the area. Jersey Girl should really consider moving down to Hackettstown as well. i think they would have much more success having several all within walking distance.

Nosila Nosila
Oct '16

We picked up a growler of kolsch at Czig last night and took it to dinner with us at James on Main. Great beer, great food!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

how much is a growler? and how long can they last for before going bad? (looking to give as a gift)

beer123 beer123
Nov '16

$12 or $14, can't remember. You should drink it within 24 hours. Otherwise it can go flat.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '16

Our growlers range from $12 to $16 for the 64oz fills and $7 to $9 for the 32oz fills. New glass growlers are $5 for 64oz and $4 for 32oz. Once filled they can last for about 2 weeks if the caps are good and tight on there, but once opened you want to drink it within 24 hours.

CzigMeister
Nov '16

went in with my son a couple of weeks ago. We each had 2 different beers. Very good and fun atmosphere. It was warm that afternoon so we were able to sit outside.
Looking forward to going back soon

Matt, your Admirals Flagship - USS Mosaic double IPA is amazing, thanks too much, brought home a grunt to have with our fajitas.
Can't wait to try the rye IPA. My rye IPA will be ready for Christmas. Let me know if you want a bottle ; >

Had their Shipwright IPA at Buck Hill Brewery in Blairstown today. I enjoyed it. Nice hop flavor with a hint of citrus.

Good food at Buckhill as well. Buck Hill is still waiting on the state so they can brew their own.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '16

How much are the products at Czig Meister? Such as a glass, etc. Do not see the prices listed on your website. Thanks!

beer123 beer123
Dec '16

Re: Czig Meister Brewing

See photo.

BeerFan BeerFan
Dec '16

Went last night for the first time, great place, a lot of fun go as a group and play games drink beer. Will be going back

Do you have to purchase a growler at the brewery to have it filled or is it OK to bring your own and have it filled?

weebiekins weebiekins
Jan '17

You can bring any growler, whether it's from somewhere else or is some non-brewery item. All three locals will fill all growlers of all kinds. They're all very much supportive of each other so each other's growlers are quite welcome.

Thanks!!

weebiekins weebiekins
Jan '17

Thought some might enjoy the article written about Czig Meister by a friends son.
http://pakprograms.com/hoppy-thoughts/czig-meister-brewing-company/ Nice article!

Bessie Bessie
Jan '17

What the heck is a growler! LOL

Natari Natari
Jan '17

Its a jug to hold beer. LOL

Christine Christine
Jan '17

I just wanted to give props to this brewery. I've had Prospector at multiple local restaurants and it has become one of my favorite go to's. What a great addition to town. Best of luck for continued success!!

Greener Pastures
Feb '17

Went to a great paint and pint night recently. I returned the next day for just a pint, held the paint!

Czig Meister is awesome...............................

Cans of Imperial IPA "The Admiral's Flagship - USS Galaxy" will be released this Friday at 3PM. It is a brewery only release and the supply will be limited.

Czig Meister
May '17

Is that the one they have on draught at Cryan's in Annandale? Delicious...

ianimal ianimal
May '17

We want to thank everyone that stopped by the brewery this weekend for the Maifest! A little bit of bad weather early on, but Saturday seemed to be a hit!!! Hope everyone that came by had a great time! Participation seemed to be up a bit from Oktoberfest last year. We will keep you updated on other events coming up in the near future

Thanks again!
Czig

Czig Meister
May '17

@ianimal They probably have the USS Citra. The "Admirals Flagship" is an Imperial IPA series that rotates and showcases different hops. This variation coming up has Galaxy as its main hop. We've been trying to release a different variation of this brew every 2 months or so.

Czig Meister
May '17

Do you open the big doors on nice days?

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '17

Yes, they open the doors in nice weather.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

I love strong IPA..the more IBU and high ABV the better...

I may have to fire up the motorcycle and head over there weather permitting...

Love the can design. Not sure how limited limited is. Any chance of putting a sixer aside with my name on it? ;)

Czig - We had a great time drinking your beers at Maifest. Keep up the excellent work, er brewing!!! :-)

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

"I love strong IPA..the more IBU and high ABV the better..."

I echo wholeheartedly what Josh just said!! I keep talking about finally getting over there...it's tough though working nights. The Admiral's Flagship - USS Galaxy looks to be right up my alley! I've also been trying to get over to Magnify Brewing in Fairfield which is right down the road from my job. Again timing is tough working nights...Grrr!!!

"I love strong IPA..the more IBU and high ABV the better..."

x3.

not sack
May '17

Calico --- wow, that's excellent, what a great idea. Thanks.

May '17

Sure. Aside from the great beer, the open doors and outside patio area are the reasons I think the place is fantastic. Gives it a great casual hangout type of atmosphere.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Last time we went, there was a "safe space" sign on the door and tons of ipa loving hipsters with their dogs. Enjoy the brews but won't be going back.

LJRubi LJRubi
May '17

"Last time we went, there was a "safe space" sign on the door and tons of ipa loving hipsters with their dogs. Enjoy the brews but won't be going back."

Hahahaha! I've seen people of all ages and types there when I've gone.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

LJRubi, maybe you would prefer a brewery in Alabama with a confederate flag on the door instead.

I digress, Czig is the best of the 3 breweries in town. Best beer and best atmosphere for hanging out with friends

Maybe elmo, maybe. Lol I knew that would get all the lefties fired up! Cheers!

LJRubi LJRubi
May '17

"LJRubi, maybe you would prefer a brewery in Alabama with a confederate flag on the door instead."

Hahahaha! That's even funnier. You two crack me up!

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Now that LJRubi (didn't he kill Oswald?) is gone, we won't need the sign anymore :>)

May '17

Now that I think about it, I should have asked if they had a gender neutral bathroom. Maybe I'll have to grow a hipster beard and try going back. You can keep the hopped out ipa's though! That stuff is for people who think they know beer.

LJRubi LJRubi
May '17

LJRubi, the apparent eunuch, is just looking for a cold Natty Ice and a place to hang his MAGA hat. Is that too much to ask?

ianimal ianimal
May '17

I wish HL had emojis.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

Can someone please identify the type of beer Prospector is and then recommend similar brews to try. Thanks!!

Greener Pastures
Jun '17

Greener Pastures - Czig's beer list on their web site calls it an "American Amber":

"Of British origin, this beer has a good balance of malt and hops. Fruity esters and a caramel malt backbone are the first things you will notice. Hop bitterness is light and balances out the overall sweetness of this beer. The hops come through with some spicy notes."

It has more malt but less hops than a Pale Ale.

Other craft brews regularly available would Flying Fish Red Fish or Tröegs HopBack.

Just noticed on Facebook that Czig Meister Brewing will no longer be allowing people to bring their pets inside the establishment because of complaints by customers of the establishments and from the Warren County Board of Health. Wondering how HLers feel about this new ruling at Czig Meister Brewing..

joyful joyful
Apr '18

Total bummer

Curious
Apr '18

Excellent. I might give it another try now.

Philliesman Philliesman
Apr '18

100% in favor, we don't bring our pets to restaurants or bars so why bring it to the brewery. I heard the same at Forgotten Boardwalk but pets were allowed outside. Maybe Czig will permit pets in the outside beer garden

not surprising considering all the times i have been there, people have to go "out of their way" to avoid dogs that are laying across the floors, dogs that are jumping up on people because of the excitement and nevermind the dogs that want to "meet" other dogs and the commotion that ensues. i understand the welcoming atmosphere and all but in my opinion, the dogs should be left to outside in the biergarten area and not inside the building.

Joe Friday Joe Friday
Apr '18

I love dogs, but don't understand why people feel the need to bring them everywhere. I think this is a good thing.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '18

Thank goodness, I may go back now!!!

2 cents 2 cents
Apr '18

So happy. Don't get me wrong I love animals have nothing against dogs, but I really don't understand how people get away with bringing them everywhere. Grocery stores, malls, on airplanes and restaurants. Bad enough the common dog owner brings their animal to move it's bowels on other people's property instead of their own. I find most dog owners rude and entitled. Maybe cat owners should start bringing their cats and we can watch the lawsuits fly.

No way No way
Apr '18

@joyful, where on FB, I checked out their page and could not find it. I was looking to share the good news !

2 cents 2 cents
Apr '18

Keep the dogs, ban the kids.

honey badger honey badger
Apr '18

"Keep the dogs, ban the kids."

Ban both. Neither belong in a brewery IMO.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '18

It's on the Hackettstown Community page.

Oh thank God. Maybe I'll go back. What about my "therapy" goat? Is that allowed?

LJRubi LJRubi
Apr '18

My daughter has been to several breweries and has never been an issue. If they didn’t allow kids we just wouldn’t be able to go so they would lose money by not allowing kids.

I know Czig kids are not allowed after 8pm. So you can avoid kids if you want.

Nosila Nosila
Apr '18

I seem to be in the minority but this makes me so sad. I cannot have dogs where I live and I grew up always having a dog. I love going to Czigs and socializing with all the pets and pet owners. It is very hard for me to talk to people and pets are an amazing ice breaker that made me feel normal again. Czigs was the first “bar type” place in town I felt comfortable going to because of it. Oh well.

Katherine Katherine
Apr '18

Then go to park to socialize with your pet owning friends. I also second banning kids from bars and brewery, just lazy and bad parenting.

No way No way
Apr '18

I think a one day training session is called for.

Specists....

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Apr '18

I said oh well, I didn’t ask for your advice on making friends.

And I agree about banning kids for what it’s worth.

Katherine Katherine
Apr '18

This makes me sad as well. I love Czig, and as a life long resident of Hackettstown, absolutely love what they've done for the town. They opened as a friendly business, attracted amazing clientele from all over the region, as a place you can go to and thoroughly enjoy the environment. The fact that they have been dog friendly has been a tremendous enhancement.

I think the town had been slowly spiraling downward for some time, but the addition to the town of great places like Pandaan Room, Topo, James on Main, Czig and Man Skirt has really improved the vibe.

I think the board of health should have bigger things to worry about. If Czig wants to be dog friendly, patrons should know that going in, and make a decision if its a business they want to patronize. I for one have loved the friendly environment.

TownFriend
Apr '18

Dogs, kids, bring em on. Anything to make this a brewery and not a bar. Stepping over, getting jumped on, kids wailing ---- it's all good.

It's those socially unacceptable trivia questions that really frost my cupcakes.

Apr '18

We have alternatives, thank you very much health board......

https://www.tripswithpets.com/pet-friendly-activities/breweries/united-states/new-jersey

Apr '18

It wasn't only the Board of Health, but also "complaints by customers of the establishment" that prompted the change in policy, per joyful's original post above.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '18

We seriously live in a world of entitlement. You have a right to own a pet but that doesn't mean you have a right to subject said pet on everyone. Some people are allergic, some people afraid. What happens if your dog bites someone while you have it in an environment that isn't designed for pets? Want to get sued? Again I'm a pet owner but have a little more curtesy for others. It's kind of like smoking no? You have a right to do it, but not a right to do it anywhere you please.

No way No way
Apr '18

I'm surprised at the comments - only because it's the polar opposite of the conversation I saw on facebook. The gentleman who owns the husky (is he shaddog or something like that here?) posted this on the hackettstown community forum last night and most people were saying things like "Don't like dogs, go somewhere else!".

The picture he posted was of his dog with his paws on the bar, which IMO is rude whether they allow dogs or not.

does czig's still have live entertainment is there a posted schedule for who's playing?

Greyhawk
Apr '18

No way, This is the only establishment in town that allowed dogs. If you’re allergic you can go to any number of other bars for a drink. If your dog bites someone it is the same as if your dog bit someone in a park - it sucks but as a pet owner you have to deal with it.

As for the smoking analogy you used, smoking is banned indoors everywhere. If a specific place opened up that allowed smoking inside, somehow, I would also be pissed if people rallied to have it banned because they wanted to drink there instead of all the other smoke free places available to them.

You’re quick to tell people to go somewhere else if they don’t like it (go to a park to hang out) but apparently that never occurred to the Czigs complainers in the first place.

Katherine Katherine
Apr '18

Katherine as I said I too am a pet owner. I for one wouldn't bring my pet to any public establishment period. As for smoking, I'm talking about outside smoking. Maybe Czigs should allow cigar smoking on their patio, it's outside in the fresh air. Those that don't care for cigar smoke should sit on the other side of the patio with their dogs. I'm sure the owners thought twice about their dog policy and figured a law suit wasn't worth shutting their successful business over.

I still say why do you have to bring your dog to a public place like a bar or grocery store? This was never a practice years ago and certainly people owned pets. I thing common courtesy went out the window.

And a dog biting me at the park isn't the same as getting bitten at a restaurant or grocery store or on an airplane. If I choose to go to a park I know the inherent risk as their may be dogs present. I don't make the same assumption when I choose to dine out. Again entitlement.

No way No way
Apr '18

No way nailed it. Entitlement.

LJRubi LJRubi
Apr '18

Obviously, they would have to still permit service animals.

Great! I'm sure my service iguana will really enjoy the place. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '18

My peacock is very freindly.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '18

One time I was in Mamas, the people behind us had a dog under the table. No problems, the dog was fine and well behaved. I was nervous and uncomfortable. I never returned to that establishment because of their dog policy. My choice. I have never visited Czig because of their dog policy. Again, my choice. It's dog shedding season and my dog is shedding like crazy. Maybe they are having a problem keeping their establishment clean because of the amount of dog hair. I know I'm vacuuming twice a day to keep a handle on it. Maybe they are finding ticks. Maybe a few dogs have done their business on the floor. Not everyone keeps an eye on their dog and not everyone keeps their dog clean. And not everyone wants dog hair all over their clothing and purses.

auntiel auntiel
Apr '18

I just hope all the people that didn’t like the dogs or kids are patronizing the place now. Not sure if there were dogs on Saturday night but it was packed in there.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '18

I'm pretty sure the banning of dogs won't impact their business. They have a good product and nice environment for "adults" to enjoy themselves responsibly.

Maybe PetSmart and Petco should start selling beer so the dog walkers have a place to socialize while they're dogs are being groomed or something.

No way No way
Apr '18

I think they will still do well but from being around here a long time, the ones (and not everyone) that complain the most, don’t go to the places or events in question. Just an observation.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '18

At least dogs won't learn any new bad habits...

Agree with Bessie.. Don’t want to hang out in a place where if the people inside don’t like dogs and kids.. No way , you’re the one who sounds entitled.. stay home , you sound like a self righteous a**.

Hackmom Hackmom
Apr '18

Don't count on it, iJay. My dogs never stepped paw in a brewery or bar type establishment. It didn't stop them from trying to steal beer at home.

Courtney
Apr '18

I have never been there and didn't even know dogs were allowed to begin with. It said somewhere that there was something like 25 dogs in there recently. I own dogs and love animals, but I'm not sure how relaxing that would be for people to enjoy a night out.
I have been to parks, Pet Smart, festivals, etc...where many dogs attend and have witnessed how pet owners handle their dogs.....its just as bad or worse than the way parents handle their kids. I think allowing them on an outdoor patio would be OK. Having them inside where people may be eating is kind of gross actually. The dog with his paws on counter is a perfect example of how people can ruin something nice that the owners tried to offer.
If I was someone not very fond of animals I certainly would not want to have to step over them, wipe slobber off of my seat, carry a lint brush to remove hair, or listen to barking & growling when I was trying to have a nice evening out and relax with a drink......also wouldn't want to listen to kids crying or have them running around for that matter. An adult evening out should be just that.

So Hackmom I'm entitled because I don't want dogs at restaurants or bars or anywhere else where they infringe on others? Maybe you missed or simply didn't read I too am a pet owner and a parent. So I'm not really sure where your delusional opinion of my dislike of dogs and kids was derived from.

Again these are some entitled folks. Take it up with the management they changed the rules. Dog owners are a funny breed. They think everyone should love their pet and accept it everywhere. And if you think young kids hanging around adults drinking beer at a brewery is a good environment for them then you obviously have parenting issues.

What the F#@$ happened to common sense? Would you bring your dog to Yankee stadium? Would you buy it a ticket or expect the stadium to let you put it on your lap because you needed a comfort animal to see you through 9 innings and the trip home?

No way No way
Apr '18

I could care less about banning dogs, however I can certainly see how some would disagree with the allowance of animals in the establishment. However I think it’s inappropriate to have children running around and being in a place that serves alcohol.

All in all though, love Czigs! Been a great addition to the town, with great beer and community involvement. I hope they’re here for a long time!

BusinessGuy1984
Apr '18

Lmao.. you got issues, no way.
Peace out.

Hackmom Hackmom
Apr '18

I guess no one here ever shops Lowes or Home Depot either.

Personally, keep the dogs, definitely keep the kids, and get rid of all the trolls around instead.

Why did Lowes and Home Depot start grooming dogs?

No way No way
Apr '18

There is no issue with children in Czig or any other brewery. Especially those that sell food. I can guarantee you that my kid will not bite anyone or poop on the floor. And I wont be offering my little chap a brew anytime soon so what’s the issue?
Not sure how I feel about dogs in there. Dogs can be left home, kids.. not so much.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '18

Is Man Skirt also updating their policy? The one time I was there they had a few dogs (behaving nicely) lying around.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Apr '18

Looks like its a state wide ban for all

trick trick
Apr '18

Czig Meister’s beer tastes horrible. It’s the Coors Light of craft beer. Don’t get why people flock there.

But, I am glad they are no longer allowing pets in their facility. I think it’s more of a hassle and liability than it is worth. Still wouldn’t convince me to want to drink one of their beers though.

YeahRight YeahRight
Apr '18

If you don't want to see dogs around then definitely Lowes and Home Depot are just as off limits. They are allowed in both places, I've seen them there regularly. They don't bother people unless you have allergies.

In Strangerdanger news......

"One of our environmental health specialists did stop by at the brewery yesterday to speak to them about a complaint we received concerning animals in their establishment." Like a good neighbor.......couldn't just walk around the corner to another brewpub now could you.....think the caller's name was Bea.......trice...yeah, that's the ticket.

"Czigler said the change was "definitely not our choice," but had to be done to comply with New Jersey Administrative Code Chapter 24, which says that beer counts as a food."

In a related story, the State determined that dogs will be allowed at ____(fill in your less-than-favorite restaurant choice).

"The state regulation bans pets and does not apply to trained service animals, Summers said." Ianimal breathed a giant sigh of relief. SIGH.

In a related story, new service-animal license registrations surpassed gun license registrations for the first time since 2008. Just to be safe, Ianimal registered his entire pack. Just didn't want to get caught in that dog-kid-service animal grey zone and be thrown in jail by the Philadelphia police.

"We will be doing all we can to get this remedied," Czigler said, saying that anyone that "could possibly help change this issue" should contact him." So far, Snoopy, LadySkiDog, MarmaDuke, Underdog, Hickory Dog, Deputy Dog, Lost Dog, Dog Cookie Lady, Jefferson Republic, and BrotherDog have called to woof support.

Blackcat and 4catmom called too but all they said was: MEEEOOOW!

"Despite the regulation, Czigler isn't going down without a fight, and hopes to see dogs allowed inside again."

https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/dogs-no-longer-allowed-inside-czigmeister-brewery

"we shall defend our brewery, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on in the bier garden, we shall fight on in the parking lot, we shall fight on at the counter and on top of those nice pic-a-nic tables; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for one tipsy flight of a moment believe, this brewery or a large part of it were subjugated and, worse yet, thirsty for a cold yet stimulating craft beverage whilst petting my puppy, then our dog-guzzlers (like dog whisperers but with a frosted mug) friends from beyond the Morris canal, armed and growlered by Manskirt, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the Craft Beer World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old puppy palace." MADRA GO BRAGH

Apr '18

I'm torn on this. I do enjoy seeing the cute dogs but some nights it's a lot of dogs and they don't all get a long. Some owners are good and some aren't. Some let their dogs sit in the middle of the walk way, and you have to step over them. Not fun with hands full of beer. One night the table next to us had the cutest puppy, he kept coming over to say hello. I didn't mind but I am sure some may have.

Whenever we invite friends I always make sure they are aware it's dog friendly. So if that doesn't work for them we go elsewhere. I think in life we should all be able to enjoy going out and have different places that cater to different things. I would never complain about an establishment that offered something I didn't like, I just wouldn't go.

I do find it interesting that they are fighting it based on they don't serve food though. Aren't the breweries trying to get a law passed that they can serve food? Maybe it already got shot down, but if they get that passed then they wouldn't be able to have the dogs again.

Just my thoughts....

Sunshine Sunshine
Apr '18

"Czig Meister’s beer tastes horrible. It’s the Coors Light of craft beer. Don’t get why people flock there."

lol that's genuine

Joe Friday Joe Friday
Apr '18

What about Mama's?

Seenit
Apr '18

Why is it so important to these folks against dogs in businesses that EVERY business conform to not allowing animals? 99% of establishments do not allow dogs and are perfectly fine to visit. As someone who has owned dogs their whole life, it is extremely difficult, especially in this area, to find ways to spend a day out with your animals. I'm sure Czig won't sweat it if some people choose to avoid them because they allow dogs, which is absolutely those peoples right, but why is it so important that nobody be allowed to bring their dog? Are there not enough non-dog friendly establishments to go around? Why not simply avoid a business that has practices you don't necessarily agree with but provide a positive servics to multitudes of people, both animal owners or otherwise?

ConcernedinHTown
Apr '18

Because of the Board of Health, Concrrned?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '18

3wbdwnj, well that's where it looks like they are trying to get something changed. I'm not going to argue that dogs aren't dirty animals, but I do believe an adult should be able to make up their own mind about whether they want to go somewhere with dogs around. Obviously people are living with dogs and not falling ill left and right, and I have been to many places in the South where dogs were welcome despite food/drink. I understand it's not for everyone, but most places are completely animal free, what's the harm in a few that aren't?

ConcernedinHTown
Apr '18

Maybe an exception can be made June 21 - 30 in celebration of the Yulin Festival

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/yulin-dog-meat-festival-explainer-what-is-it-when-start-banned-controversy-a7800721.html

I hear you Concerned. Dogs are nearly everwhere in Europe too. But I think here, generally speaking, we have more large breed dogs that don’t always fit nicely under or on a chair. I cant speak of the responsibility of owners (cleaning up after their dogs) in Europe.
I’m sure some other HLifers can comment on more recent observations of dogs in public places in Europe.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '18

I've been to restaurants in Paris where dogs get their own seat on the bench! Last time in the S of France just a few years ago, dogs still wandered around villages and towns on their own, and in and out of cafes at will. And everyone knew who they belonged to and was totally fine with it.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

Can I bring my cat to Czig's? He's a Maine Coon named Killer and could kick the crap out of any dog in the joint.

Courtney, seems natural for dogs. Got to tell folks at BBQs not to leave beers on the ground or a dog will be lapping away. The first time I noticed, over 20 years ago, I saw a drunk dog; measures in place since then to prevent.

The family pet in an English pub is treated like royalty. My cousin was stationed in Germany and took her chocolate lab everywhere. Including in all the restaurants where they fed her and gave her a bowl of water all the time. In Reykjavik since there really aren't any dogs and cats are allowed their own lives, you can find cats sometimes going in and out of shops on their own. They have become celebrities.

They have plenty of large dogs in Europe, and it's a given that they can go anywhere they'd like.

... "like royalty" - yup, the Europeans know how to treat their dogs. This pic is from the hotel room service menu where I am right now. European hotel group. :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

They should ban children from the breweries before they ban dogs! They don’t belong around alcohol.

Michael Michael
Apr '18

This is just an extension of the phobia people have developed to animals, germs, bathrooms, public areas, etc. As noted above, a dog in an English pub is an afterthought to the rest of the patrons. I do agree that if an animal were aggressive, they shouldn’t be allowed into an establishment. But I have been to CzigMeister many times and the atmosphere is great. Families with their kids and dogs, young people, older people, etc. I have never seen any type of disagreement amongst the patrons over s dog or any matter. Why do people have to ruin something that no one seems to mind?

Others in this thread have said they don’t go there because of the dogs. That is fine. That is how things should work. Others do go there because they can bring dogs. It was Matt’s decision to be dog friendly. Respect that.

If a restaurant or bar wants to have country music and you don’t line that, you don’t go. You don’t try and ban it. Or if a restaurant happened to serve exotic game and you thought that was an affront on endangered species, do just don’t go or even protest. That is your right. But to try and change it? That’s just wrong.

Theywanttoknow Theywanttoknow
Apr '18

Not for nothing y'all but they are just complying with the Warren County board of health.

peder hollinghurst peder hollinghurst
Apr '18

It's honestly not a big deal at all...and I'm a lifelong dog owner. I don't even care whether or not it's a health hazard...its just simply that there are plenty of places that we can bring dogs that aren't indoors around people who may or my not like them, that's all. I bring my dog where and when I can , but that is not everywhere. We go hiking, fishing, swimming, to parks, the pet store, etc... My dog (and probably most other people's dogs) has about as much interest going to a brewery or pub with me as I have interest in rolling around in deer poop with her. I don't even bring her to parks to play with other dogs that often because a lot of people aren't comfortable with a husky at play, as they tend to have a VERY vocal, fairly rough style of play. I have friends and brothers with dogs that my dog plays with.

Localchef Localchef
Apr '18

"They should ban children from the breweries before they ban dogs! They don’t belong around alcohol."

That's ridiculous. Dogs don't belong around alcohol any more or less than children. Don't GIVE it to either one and it won't be a problem. It's a LEGAL adult drink kids and need to learn how to watch their parents drink responsibly. Trying to shield them from it is why we have issues with kids dying from binging and alcohol poisoning. Europeans don't have these hangups, and their don't have as many issues with alcohol poisoning among teens.

Now, as for pets...why aren't cats allowed? If dogs are allowed again, I'm bringing my cats. Cats are part of the family, too.

DevilsFan1 DevilsFan1
Apr '18

This should be simple. It should be a business decision. If they want to allow dogs, then those that don't like that, DON'T patronize the establishment! Pick another place! The owners clearly are in favor of having dogs in the place. So if you're whining that they don't belong, just don't go there. I don't think you'll be missed.

Subsailorjoe Subsailorjoe
Apr '18

First of all, not everyone should have to conform for everyone. There are plenty of establishments to visit that don’t allow animals. Everyone is talking about animal owners being self entitled but those banning against dogs in the brewery are just as self entitled. Each group has their own interests in mind. Last I checked, this is a free country and you can go patronize any business that you choose. I have a dog but I never bring him because he doesn’t like other male dogs. I’m responsible enough to leave him at home. However, I do enjoy petting other people’s dogs and it’s a great icebreaker.

With regards to sanitation, dogs are not as filthy as money or women’s purses. I would prefer a dog’s paws on the counter over any of those two items. They have been scientifically proven to be the most dirtiest things you can get your hands on.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Apr '18

Not everyone wants to see your kid, dog or parrot when they drink bad beer!
Should have included Yuppies, Hipster Doofus's and maybe Beret's...

Peace out

Was there last Saturday and felt like I was drinking beer at Pet Smart. Seemed like more dogs (barking constantly and fighting with each other) than people. Great idea keeping them out. Want to spend time with your dogs (or bird) then take them for a walk. By the way I have 1 dog and 3 cats, and they never made it into Czigs.

Eddie The Eagle Eddie The Eagle
Apr '18

I say ban children from Czigmeister, I would rather have dogs barking then have children screaming and running around that is probably the most annoying thing ever.

Littlebigguy
Apr '18

http://www.njherald.com/20180626/bill-would-allow-dogs-in-states-breweries

New legislation proposed by Senator Mike Doherty will allow dogs to join in on the fun at breweries.

https://www.change.org/p/allow-pets-in-nj-breweries

The above is the petition mentioned in the article.

Ridiculous! These legislators should spend more energy trying to make NJ more affordable, instead of wasting time on nonsense.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '18

How about starting a Brewery and Dogs thread and leave this one to beer.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '18

+100000 Calico.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '18

Well, as they say, if you don’t like dogs at the brewery don’t go, if you don’t like children at the brewery, you don’t have to go.

But if children are banned, what about politicians? will Sarah Huckabee be allowed?

DonaldTrump DonaldTrump
Jun '18

If you cant bear to go out without fluffy than stay home.

Unfriendly
Jun '18

Some parents have screaming kids. If mine scream, they have to go home.
(I tell them that BEFORE we go to grownup places or libraries)
Manners must be taught. They scream, we leave. No second chances.

I don't mind dogs. I only mind if they are lifting their leg on everything they see!

Older Mom Older Mom
Jun '18

If kids are banned from brew pubs how are they ever going to learn to drink properly?

Dogs in brew pubs pee on peoples legs. That's not good for business.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Jun '18

Went there for the first time this afternoon.

Took my own food and had a beer. Everyone was nice, polite and quiet. Tables lined up and some individual tables.

People came in with dogs that were really adorable. They just sat next to owners and were polite when people walked by.

I liked this place and will go back soon. Nice place for anyone in the family.

Bernie Bernie
Feb '19

It's a great place! Great atmosphere & the beers are delish!

Love Czig! A real asset to H'town IMO.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

Czig Meister’s beer is horrible—watery and near tasteless. There are definitely better places out there.

YeahRight YeahRight
Feb '19

That’s why I will never go there

Philliesman Philliesman
Feb '19

I haven't been in awhile. When they first opened, thought the beer was ok. They had some Kolsch style, which isn't for me.

When I went the next time I thought it was much improved. They had a bourbon barrel stout that was excellent. Good place.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '19

good beer, but I could do without the people with their dogs!

2 cents 2 cents
Feb '19

Try the oatmeal stout! And keepin the dogs on the patio.

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.