Farmer's Market

Does anyone know when the farmer's market in town starts back up? It was usually on Monday's.

Derek Derek
Apr '12

They are currently searching for a venue, but are hoping to do it on Saturdays for availability to the maximum amount of people. (per BID Director)

GC is correct. We are currently looking to partner with the Farmers Market also.

Christine Christine
Apr '12

Just a thought but what about the auction space? they dont use it on Saturdays and it's open and plenty of space.....could help each other out?? only thinking out loud and selfishly want a farmers market back.
I'm sure it's been thought of before; I am not a complete genius!!

gardens gardens
Apr '12

What about across from Budd Oil on Main Street - big empty building with lots of windows and plenty of parking or even use the parking lot.

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Apr '12

Gardens that is what the committee is looking into. happy that is private property and we also need to think about where shoppers would park.

Christine Christine
Apr '12

Would love for the Farmer's Market to be on Saturday's. I never get home from work in time during the week to enjoy. Drove to the Allentown Farmers Market on Saturday but would much rather stay local.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '12

We are shooting for that JrzyGirl88!

Christine Christine
Apr '12

Can't wait. I love Farmer's Markets and all of the unique things they have. The one in Allentown has a fantastic pickle/olive stand. They make this habanero olive spread that is great. Hope ours has someone similar.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '12

Christine , how does someone be a part of the farmers market? Who do they call to get a space?

DLD: I would imagine that someone wanting to be a vendor at the proposed Hackettstown Farmer's Market would call the BID office and start by expressing interest in being part of it.

Joyful Joyful
Apr '12

Great news, and I look forward to seeing the Farmer's Market return soon. Hoping Dr. Pickle is a frequent vendor.

Derek Derek
Apr '12

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2012/04/hackettstown_bid_looks_to_star.html

Here's an article on the Farmer's Market.

Christine, when you say 'we' does that mean you are in charge of the Farmer's Market?

htownchik htownchik
Apr '12

I am probably saying the obvious but it seems that the auction has many vendors with trucks, trailer, etc. and many attendees with the same trucks and trailers, etc. and space isn't an issue....I am sure there is more than I can know and reason why it isn't easily done...I just hope it works out on some level and look forward to it....hope we hear good news soon; best of luck

gardens gardens
Apr '12

I am on the Committee htownchik.

All I can say is we are working on it. If anyone is interested in being a vendor just call the BID office.

Christine Christine
Apr '12

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/news/2012/4/hackettstown-bid-invites-all

It'll officially be an open air market on Saturday's from 10 to 2 starting mid May. I didn't see it mention where it will be though.

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '12

would be great on a SAT!!!!

lisa1 lisa1
Apr '12

odd, the BID website link has a couple of mentions of the "wonderful new location" with high visability,........... but NO mention of where the heck it will be ??

nonny nonny
Apr '12

I know nonny, I thought maybe for whatever reason I just wasn't seeing it. I wonder if they overlooked the fact that they didn't mention the actual location or if they don't want to announce it yet. It seems weird not to though.

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '12

Gang, it's tentatively the Bergen Tool property, no confirmation yet, but it's pretty much a go.... Until we can confirm, we can't post it on the website : )

trekster3 trekster3
Apr '12

Great news, trekster ~ happy to see the place cleaned up and put to good use. Hope it all works out.

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Apr '12

Thanks for the information Trekster. I'm looking foward to it.

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '12

Well - update - the Farmers Market will be on Moore Street by the Gazebo - Moore Street will be closed between Main St and the Parking Lot so that Vendors can set up on the Street and in the Gazebo park! Should be awesome! We have about 15 vendors signed up with a lot of your favorites returning and welcoming some new vendors!

https://www.facebook.com/events/296521637102369/

Wendy @ HKT BID Wendy @ HKT BID
May '12

Oh and if you know of a vendor that might be interested have them give us a call 908-850-5004 - BID Member Businesses get FREE space!

May '12

Won't that impede the fire trucks if they need to go out??

Annie1
May '12

Annie - just between Main and the parking lot entrance - the closure won't go up to the firehouse - most of the time the trucks coming out of that firehouse end up aiming for the college.... and Miller St. station is in use as well.

trekster3 trekster3
May '12

FYI, Here's our Preliminary List of Vendors:

Stone Row Acres- Kathy Fliegauf- Flowers & Garlic,

Gil The Sausage Man,

Jerry Grover,

The Sicilia Bakery,

Jessica Geanoules of Silver Birch Kitchens, and make fresh baked breakfast breads, jarred pie fillings, and jams.

Kaffe Kapry’s

Best Fruit Stands

Mini Mac Farms

Godlewski Farms

Melissa Brown - Mini Cheese cakes

Reminder to Hackettstown BID Businesses --- let us know if you're coming so we can reserve a space for you (FREE) all others call the office for details!

May '12

New Vendor!!

Conturso's Market

http://www.contursosmarket.com/

May '12

ooh,
that bread looks good!

happy girl
May '12

Current Vendor List:

Stone Row Acres- Kathy Fliegauf- Flowers & Garlic,
Gil The Sausage Man,
Jerry Grover,
The Sicilia Bakery,
Jessica Geanoules of Silver Birch Kitchens, and make fresh baked breakfast breads,
jarred pie fillings, and jams.
Kaffe Kapry’s
Best Fruit Stands
Mini Mac Farms
Godlewski Farms
Melissa Brown - Mini Cheese cakes
Conturso's Market
Yunbo Xu - Hand Crafted Jewelry
Htown Market

May '12

Is there an official opening date or start date?

June 2 9:00 to 2:00

jrsemom jrsemom
May '12

Thanks Jrsemom for posting the time : )

FYI, spoke with some vendors this morning (some I couldn't get a hold of)...

But, here's some items to look forward to:

Homemade Hummus, Artisan Breads, Stuffed Breads, Danish, Struedle, Focaccia, hanging baskets, bedding plants, herbs, lettuce (if it's ready), hand-crafted jewelry, lavender sachets, sausage, peirogie and keilbasa --- Yum, Yum, Yum!!!

Hope to see you there --- and if you don't see something you're looking for from a vendor, don't be afraid to ask! If you know of someone with hand-crafted or hand made items that would want to be a part of our market, just let me know!

May '12

I really wish they would have it at the auction house. there is so much room in the parking lots. Is there a reason why it can't be held there? I just think it's the perfect place. Plenty of room for the vendors and for parking.

jaemae jaemae
May '12

jaemae - It would compete with the auction vendors.

What auction vendors GC? There is 1 every Saturday.

Christine Christine
May '12

Christine - The auction has tried to start their own competing farmers market for all the time the other market has been in existence. There were 3-4 vendors including a couple from PA that bought things from the Amish to sell. The auction on Stiger Street is not the right place for the market the BID is putting together.

Well 30 years ago it was the place to be. It WAS a Farmers Market. We went all the time. Farmers brought all their goods. Its nothing like it is today.

Christine Christine
May '12

Christine - I think if it was like that now, they could very well work together to get the combination of vendors that would draw in bigger crowds and everyone would win. Not so much any more.

I agree......but personally I think its a fail situation. I hope not and I always will support it. Just wish we had more of our local farmers in.

Christine Christine
May '12

Christine - Agreed on all accounts. Actually given the list that I saw, it's not such a failure. But on the other hand it could be much more of a success. Working together helps everyone, but sometimes all they see is themselves. Maximum profit for yourself is minimum profit for the group so it promotes bad behavior. Local participants have their own situations, you just can't help that. The ones that aren't in are the masters of their own destiny, that's their own fault.

Christine - Actually some of the local farms will be joining us later in the season as their produce becomes available, but agreed - some of the 'small town' farms are now too big and have plenty of business and don't need the Farmer's Market.....

May '12

Third attempt made to get Pickleicious to come --- I'll keep you posted in how it goes..

May '12

Thats good to hear Wendy. Looking forward to seeing it a success.

Christine Christine
May '12

Oh by the way I've hear that the Gluten Free ravioli guy has product coming, I'm guessing through Conturso's Market since they're both from Teaneck.

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

I am sorry, but what Farmer's Market? This is mostly the same ole store fronts in a different venue. Not to diminish the vendors, I like and use most of them but come on.... What's the diff between Best at Best or Best at "Farmers" Market?

Now the corn guy on 517, that's a farmers market!

mistegoogle mistegoogle
Jun '12

Mr G - The difference is you get to go to all of them at the same place at the same time. It doesn't grow market share, it actually grows the whole market.

Yeah I guess GC. Just that I was hoping for more of a new experience rather than the same thing in a different place. I guess there's some newbies too.

And I agree, the auction lots would be a grand place for this as well as doing anything to use this great resource so more improvements could be made there.

I would love to see the auctions made more accessible to mortal humans too; they look like a real fun thing to watch.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jun '12

Mr. G the public can attend the auctions and watch. They are fun and I bring my grandsons alot.

Christine Christine
Jun '12

Just got back from the Farmer's Market. I got a Chicken Parmesian Stuffed Bread from Conturso's and an Organic Pomegranate Jelly from Granny Mo. I sampled the chicken meatloaf stuffed bread from Conturso's and it was delish.

jrsemom jrsemom
Jun '12

Moore Street Market is well under way --- take a look at the great stuff our vendors have to offer!! They'll be there until 2:00 pm today and every Saturday!!
Todays Vendors:

Conturso's Market - Stuffed Bread, Chips, Dips, Pizza
Godlewsky Farms - Lettuce, Onion, Garlic Scapes, etc. Plants and Herbs
Kaffe Kapry's - Pieorgies!
Mini Mac Farms - Grass fed meats, local honey, etc.
Gil the Sausage Man / Grandma Jo - Sausage, Jams, Bread, Brownies
Stone Row Acres - Cut Flowers, Plants, etc.
Yunbo Xu Jewelry - Hand crafted, unique jewelry
Silver Birch Kitchens - Banana Bread, Carrot Walnut Bread, Jams and Jellies
Good Scents Growers - Organically grown plants and fertilizers
Stella G's - Scones, Coffee, baked goods!

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/news/2012/6/moore-street-farmers-market-opening

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

This sucks I work all day on Saturday!

Christine Christine
Jun '12

Oh and Nice meeting you jrsemom and Mike!!

What I brought home today:
Honey Sticks from Mini-Mac (my girls love these)
Galic Scapes, Lettuce and Onions from Godlewsky's
A bouquet of roses (only $5!) from Stone Row Acres
Banana Bread, Carrot Walnut Bread & Pinapple Jam from Silver Birch Kitchens
Eggplant Parm stuffed bread from Conturso's

So far raves from my family on the Banana Bread and Eggplant Parm Bread!!

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

I brought home some turnovers from Stella G's, and some Pierogi's and Stuffed Cabbage from Kaffe Kapry's

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '12

Just returned from trip down to Farmers Market. Besides purchasing the great perogies we found a beautiful handmade bracelet and earrings set to give to our granddaughter graduation day. Ran out of money or I would have purchased more.....next time!!!

Joyful Joyful
Jun '12

Bought Conturso's stuffed chicken meatloaf bread, but it was mostly bread and tasteless. I 'll try a different one next time and give them a second chance. Sorry to be critical. Also bought a rhubarb cobbler from Grandma Jo which is pretty good.

copygirl copygirl
Jun '12

Just got back too. We sampled a little bit of everything!
Bought a bar-b-q meatball stuffed bread from Conturso's and it was pretty good. Also got their chips. Also good.
Then we got some sausage, eggs, and chicken breast from Mini Mac, will try some sausage and peppers tonight to see how that turns out.
Got some organic plants and fertilizer from Good Scents, the plants look great.
Got banana bread from Silver Birch and it was fantastic.
Got a cranberry granola bar thing from Grandma Jo and it was delicious.
Got watermelonade at Stella G's - refreshing and tasty.
Good time, hope more vendors come out as the growing season gets going!

Natalie
Jun '12

copygirl: Next time try their eggplant parmesan (not in bread). I love it.

I messed Mini Mac. Where was it?

Stella G's apple turnover was mighty fine.

cbel Mini Mac was set up right at the corner of Main and Moore by Godlewsky's...

I loved that all of the vendors had samples to try!!

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

Thanks, trekster. I'll find them next week.

Sounds like the first day was a success!

Bessie Bessie
Jun '12

Re: Farmer's Market

I'm sorry I couldn't have gotten more but I was out and not able to take things home for a while with everything going on.

I did get one of those brownies from Grandma Jo. An unicened cake like variant with dark cocoa and a ton of chocolate chips. Definitely a good pick. I had to promise Gil to get the hot turkey sausage next time. If I let my friend Bubba hold it in the hot truck, it wouldn't have survived.

I got parsley and cilantro at Godlewsky's. I always do. So much flavor.

Good Scents has super hot Thai pepper plants!! Had to buy. Figured since the rest of the garden is full, I'll be growing this one in a pot on the deck.

trekster3 - Know that you met jresemom, my advice is to learn to duck anytime she recognizes you and is around fruits and vegetables. Duck first, then ask questions later. Apparently her "hello" is something known as "avocado dodgeball". (true story from peopleofshoprite.com)

Cbel - thanks for the eggplant suggestion. I love eggplant. Overall the market was good. Will be even better as the produce comes in. And I hope the Pickle Man shows up. Loved his marinated mushrooms.

copygirl copygirl
Jun '12

GC, I didn't actually throw an avocado at you. But I got your attention didn't I? :)

jrsemom jrsemom
Jun '12

I missed it today :( Promised my daughter I would take her and a friend to the strawberry festival at Donaldsons farm, which was a good time. I'm glad the market is every saturday. I'll go this saturday because all of your descriptions of the food you bought nmade me hungry!

Jaemae Jaemae
Jun '12

jrsemom - When you have in your hand a granade with a hard pit the size of Montana in it, and you make a throwing motion, I don't care if you actually release it or not. Duck and cover!!

trekster3 - Take no chances. Jrsemom + fruits & vegetables section = robot flashing "Danger! Danger!"

GC -- Thanks for the warning : )

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

Still getting questions about pickles --- We've called and emailed them several times with no response (not even a call back or email).... so, maybe a public outcry for pickles will work --- orders@picklelicious.com 201-457-0500

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

I thought they stopped doing the farmer's market in town?

Nicholas Nicholas
Jun '12

The First Market was a Great Success, thanks to all of the community for their support! With 10 Vendors and a nice variety of products! With the 6 vendors who did not come out and the 4 NEW Vendors who contacted us today (YES, Pickleicious), we are looking to be bigger and better every week. Look for info later on the week on what products the vendors are bringing this Saturday... I do ask everyone to invite their friends and/or share the event. The more that know, the better it will be!

Anne Metlow - Pshychic
Best Farms - Fruit (in season)
Conturso's Market - Stuffed Breads, Hummus, Dips, Chips
Godlewsky Farms - Local produce, plants and herbs
Good Scents Growers - Organic Plants and Fertilizers
Htown Market
Jerry Grover
Kaffe Kaprys - Pierogies
Melissa Brown - Mini Cheesecakes
Mini Mac Farms - local honey, meats, dairy
Ooh La La Lamour - Lotions, Soaps, etc.
Pickleicious - Pickles, Olives, Marinated veggies
Pie Crust Designs - Hand knitted items, specialty yarns
Sausage Man/Grandma Jo - Sausage, Brownies, Jams
Sicilia Italian Bakery - Italian Pastries
Silver Birch Kitchens - Sweet Breads, Jams
Stella G's - Scones, baked goods,
Stone Row Acres - Flowers, flowering plants
Treasure Grove Ranch - Alpaca products, soaps
Yunbo Xu Jewelry - Handcrafted and designed jewelry

Jun '12

Hi Wendy,

I wanted to let you know that Conturso's Market will be selling stuffed breads, Fresh bread, Frozen assorted pizzas, whole wheat frozen pizzas, whole wheat stuffed breads, chips, hummus, spreads, pasta and foccacia.

Thanks
John

Jun '12

I am looking forward to checking this out on Saturday.

Hey Everyone! Jessica from Silver Birch Kitchens here, Just wanted to say we had a fantastic day on Saturday and truly enjoyed meeting so many people in the community. I grew up with my grandparents out in Long Valley and they were members of the Knights in Hackettstown where I spent many fun-filled childhood hours! It's great to be back, we will have lots of new stuff every week to sample and try, so please stop by and say hi! This week, be sure to try the Red Pepper Hummus, Watermelon Jelly and White Chocolate Butterscotch cookies, and of course Banana Bread! See you at the Market!

Jess @ SBK Jess @ SBK
Jun '12

Hey Wendy, This is what I will have at the market this week:

Banana Bread, Zucchini Bread, Peach Bread, New Jam flavors, Watermelon Jelly, Triple Berry Jam, Black & Blue Jam, Strawberry Jam. Hummus, Roasted Pepper Hummus, Roasted Garlic Hummus, Greek Olive Hummus, a variety of cheese spreads, Marinara Sauce, Vodka Sauce, Tomato Basil Soup, Greens & Beans Soup, Chicken Corn Chowder, Potato Leek Soup. Chocolate Chip Cookies & White Chocolate Butterscotch Cookies

Coming Soon, fresh bottled Lemonade, Iced Tea, and other amazing refreshing blends.

Jessica Geanoules

Owner
Silver Birch Kitchens LLC.
973-862-9870
silverbirchkitchens@yahoo.com

Jun '12

where exactly is the farmers market located?

DecemberBABY
Jun '12

DecemberBABY - It's in the post above, Moore St at the Gazebo:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/407574#t416364

Can't wait to try the market on Saturday.

Wendy you are doing a FANTASTIC job.. we are lucky to have you supporting HackBid...keep up the good work...:O)

scoop scoop
Jun '12

Thanks scoop -- you're a peach : )

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

Wendy,
Do you know if Pickleicious will be there this Sat?

happy girl
Jun '12

Yep --- They Pickleicious will be there on Saturday!!!

Jun '12

Where is the best place to park?

Hockeymom30 Hockeymom30
Jun '12

Parking is very easy in the lot next to Brisas/Stella G's.

There is also another lot behind the old Strand Theather on Sharp street since the lot next to Stella G's gets very full on a normal Staurday, and is easy to get in and out

easy going guy
Jun '12

There's also the lot at Main & Plane St. Or park at the Mini Mall by Scrub a Dub. There's lots and lots and lots, right Easy?

It's just the lot behind the Strand is more closer than those, but there is plenty of parking through out the town, traffic wise on a saturday morning it would be very easy to walk a few extra and and is easy to get out since Moore Street is closed

easy going guy
Jun '12

It's a beautiful day for the Farmer's Market!!

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

Sounds hard to get to.

Jun '12

The Market is in the center of the town, you can't miss when you drive through.

easy going guy
Jun '12

Hard to get to, not hard to find....

Sounds like you have to park a few blocks away and walk through the daywalkers to get there. I try to avoid that corner since they like to whistle at me. Too bad parking can't be a bit more convenient.

(i know, i know, two blocks, what's the big deal...:>)

Jun '12

Stella G's parking lot is right there. I had no trouble parking there last week.

copygirl copygirl
Jun '12

Sensing a bit of sarcasm here. I only asked because I had knee surgery recently and walking is not such an easy task right now.... : )

Hockeymom30 Hockeymom30
Jun '12

When the "market" was Saturday, on Stiger Street, there was a elderly gentleman who sold pickled beets, bacon etc. Does he come to this market?

QUINLAN106
Jun '12

Quinlan - I don't know who that is --- if you get me his info, I'll try to contact him for you!!

All-- The public lot behind Stella G's has plenty of space and the lot behind Skyland Orthopedics is there too (though not a public lot)....

This weeks Booty!!
Kale and Swiss Chard from Godlewsky's
Greek Olive Hummus and Roasted Garlic Grapeseed Oil from Silver Birch
Spinach Hummus from Conturso's
Grapefruit Colada Body Creme from Ooh La La Lamour
Spinach Pierogies from Kaffe Kappry
Carrot Bread from Gil and Grandma Jo
Sundried Tomato's, Tapenade and Gardeniere from Pickleicious
Honey from Mini Mac
Watermelonade from Stella's

Yum, Yum and Yum!!!

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

got some great deals today on hanging baskets and herbs from Godlewski"s!!!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '12

Not sure of his name, maybe other's here can help. He lives in NJ, I think near High Bridge, goes to the Pa. Dutch area for products, sometimes had a helper, always set-up near the "egg window" at the auction market, real nice gentleman, in the fall he had beautiful painted gourds. His pickled beets were very popular.

QUINLAN106
Jun '12

Quinlan, is that the same guy that had homemade root beer? If so, I still have a root beer bottle that I saved to reuse. The only name on it though is E.B Stoltzfus in Ronks PA. I don't know if that helps.

jrsemom jrsemom
Jun '12

I was just there. Bought one small item. Most things look good. A note to the bread booth. Show the prices of your product. And if you did then you need to make them more visible. I stood in front of your table about five minutes while another person was being helped and I didn't see any prices.

Visited the Farmer's Market this morning with DD and came home with the following yummy finds~

Strawberry/Rhubarb Cobbler - Grandma Jo
Sour Pickles - Pickleicious
Pepp/Mozz Stuffed Bread & Grilled Pears Gruyere Cheese Raviolis - Conturso's
Cheddar Beer Spread - Silver Birch Kitchens
Mini Crumbcake - Stella G's

Everything looked sooo delicious and most all offer free samples. DD can't wait to return next Saturday! Hope all the vendors flourish and more vendors come to sell. Location is very convenient for me. Parked right on Main Street too, but I think I just got lucky with an open spot.

luvlife
Jun '12

Sounds yummy but expensive, trekster or luvlife want to share what you spent.

Firefly Firefly
Jun '12

Pickle Guy!! Peppadews for me!

Sausage Guy!! Hot Italian Turkey Saussage for me!

Plus the sausage, pepper & mozzarella stuffed bread from Conturso's.

And I guess like luvlife, I couldn't pass up one of those Stella G's crumb cakes.

CBGB - You're right I didn't remember seeing the sign this morning. They had it last week, but I don't remember seeing it today.

Quinlan - I know exactly who you are talking about. I commented about him several times on the forum when the auction had outside vendors. I believe I still have a phone number, but that's about all there is. I can discuss with Wendy, but don't hold your breath. If you really want to get in contact with him, go to one of the auctions. Stolzfus is one of the big farms outside Lancaster. It's just where he bought some of the things he sold.

I should also add what someone else said. There was free parking by Stella G's/Brisas both weekends. Plus spots available right on Main St. It was neither hard to find nor hard to get to, even for someone with a disability.

Cbgb, I think I saw you at the farmers market. As I was putting a bag in my car I saw a face that looked somewhat familiar, and by your posting time the timing was right. If it was you, it's late now but HELLO, lol.

I had the same experience at the bread seller. And the woman selling the jewelry was so attentive (insert sarcasm) that I could practically feel her breath on my neck. I wanted to buy pickles, and the guy said I could buy them individually as we'd waste a whole container, but he had nothing to put them in? Sorry, wasn't going to put them in my pockets. I considered the pepadews, but was turned off by the pickle experience, or lack thereof, so I left them behind too.

I guess what I learned today was that that farmers market was just not for me.

A positive, I got some yummy brownies at Demi's, and a full bag of goods from Rico Pan :)

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jun '12

For a second weekend, the Market was good, you need to give them a chance as more venders will come. Nice selection of plants and other goodies

easy going guy
Jun '12

Lori, I LOVE that you still got something locally thats what it is all about.

Christine Christine
Jun '12

I went around noon. Bought a lovely bracelet for a gift Got sourdough french bread
and a head of lettuce.The lettuce was a great deal for 2 dollars. It was so large. I agree about the bread booth. They need to show prices. I said hello to Grandma Jo at her booth. No reply. I heard the bread guy say he is there till Sept 29th. I think each week will get better

Conrad's Mom Conrad's Mom
Jun '12

I went for the second time today and my faves are silver birch kitchens- very friendly woman with delicious products. Will def go next Saturday for her cheddar beer spread.
Also was thrilled to see pickleicious there! Another reason to go back next sat.
I knew I'd be out all day and had no cooler to put anything in so i must go back---that pickle vendor is a preggo's dream!!

Kissycat Kissycat
Jun '12

Did the pickle guy have marinated mushrooms? Don't know if he is the same guy that was there 2 yrs. ago. Love the mushrooms.

copygirl copygirl
Jun '12

@FF

Pricing is noted below, although am not certain on the pickles, but close.

Strawberry/Rhubarb Cobbler - Grandma Jo - $7 for 6" round
Sour Pickles - Pickleicious - $8 - Quart
Pepp/Mozz Stuffed Bread & Grilled Pears Gruyere Cheese Raviolis - Conturso's
Bread $8 and Raviolis $9 f/24 count (had various different raviolis & breads pricing
differs accordingly. They will be having Lobster ones in the future)
Cheddar Beer Spread - Silver Birch Kitchens - $3 tiny tub
Mini Crumbcake - Stella G's - $3

Perhaps a tad more money than some like paying but everything we bought was all homemade and also supporting locals, which I think, is always a nice thing!

luvlife
Jun '12

I didn't see marinated mushrooms. Would have loved that!
I was wondering if anyone knew if the pickle guy was the same vendor that was at the allamuchy street fair 2 years ago. You could purchase a pickle on a stick and it was a great idea. Didn't see that option today bc I would have been all over that lol

Kissycat Kissycat
Jun '12

I don't recall seeing the marinated mushrooms either . . . . but lots of different olives! I also don't think they had "sticks" either - but he did give my daughter a whole one (free) to try as she was so indecisive on which pickle to choose . . . . all the vendors were very nice and agree about the pricing @Conturso's but it just began last week am sure they're still working out the kinks . . . .

luvlife
Jun '12

You folks are really making trekster3 happy, she was complaining to Pickle Guy for not having the mushrooms. I think he heard enough tongue wagging that he'll have them next Saturday.

I asked him about the mushrooms, too, and he told me he had sold out of them. . . we were there at about 11:30. I did sort of express my surprise that they had sold out and he said there was a big rush on them early on. . . (?) - enjoyed seeing some of my favorite HL friends, though :) CBGB, think we saw you, too, but you were on your way out! We came home with mac and cheese raviolis, which were delicious, kohlrabis, and sausage bread. Almost bought the garlic jelly, but forgot to go back for it.

colette colette
Jun '12

We were there early - about 9:45am - and there were no mushrooms. We bought some garlic jelly, some roasted red pepper hummus, and some sesame pita chips. And we shared a cup of the watermelonade . . .I had flashbacks of my 60-day juice fast.

mefoley4literacy mefoley4literacy
Jun '12

I stopped by the Farmers' Market yesterday morning and walked around for a few. I think the concept is great and I love the idea of buying locally, but unfortunately, I can't really afford to buy a lot of this stuff. Some of the prices are very high. I did buy my husband a chicken parm stuffed bread. Next week I might get some ravioli. I tried the mac and cheese ravioli and it was delicious.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '12

The elderly gent you folks are referring to is Leroy Sutton. He comes to the Auction Market on Tuesdays with the Lancaster PA, produce, canned goods, beets, honey, and the Root Beer.

MAN, GC
That's the man, thanks!

QUINLAN106
Jun '12

What are the hours for the Auction Market ? Is he set up outside/inside?

Tidy
Jun '12

It is located outside in the gazebo area on the corner if main street and Moore street to the right of the Stella G's. It goes from 9am to 2pm

Kissycat Kissycat
Jun '12

If the Auction Market is going it would be on Tuesdays, not sure of the times...

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

Hey guys just a note the parking with the meter's is not free --- don't want anyone to get a ticket : )

Thanks all for all of your support!

Jun '12

Washington, (Warren County) farmer's market opens Friday, June 22. More details - http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2012/06/washington_borough_will_hold_f.html

Long Valley's farmer's market is on Thursday evenings from 3-7 P.M. at 14 Schooleys Mountain Rd. www.longvalleygreenmarket.com

BLD2
Jun '12

I like it when they go later in the day more people can come out after work. Like ME! LOL!

Christine Christine
Jun '12

Not certain if she'll be joining us this week, but we're excited to have Jan Keyes from Grandma's Herbals on our Vendor List! : )

http://www.grandmasherbals.com/GMH/index.html.html

Jun '12

Hey Everyone! It was great to be out at the Moore Street Market this past Saturday! Lots of new faces and friends from last week! Looking forward to this Saturday and Silver Birch Kitchens will be bringing some new items and some favorites, On Target for this week,

Parmesan Dipping Oil, Herbal Infused Grapeseed Oils, Super Fudge Brownies, Roasted Pepper Hummus, Greek Olive Hummus, Baked Pita Chips, Creamy Tomato Soup, Carrot Walnut Bread, Banana Bread, Zucchini Bread, Apple Cake, White Chocolate Butterscotch Cookies, Bacon Jack Beer Spread, Cheddar Beer Spread, Salsa Fresca, Bruschetta, America's Bakery Bread, Jams & Marinara Sauce!

Look forward to seeing you all there, Any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out! Thanks for the kind words!

Jess @ SBK Jess @ SBK
Jun '12

methinks these are Hoboken farmers. Is that Jersey tannini in that hummus?

Got any Jersey corn? Jersey strawberries are in season. Blueberries are in season; NJ ranks fourth with over 50 million pounds of them little beauties each year. Over 7,000 acres of the stuff. It's our state fruit.

To Buy Local, just look for that Jersey Fresh sign if you mean farmer. Here's all the Farmer's Markets that feature Jersey Fresh and yes, yes, yes, --- we are one of them. You can change counties if you want to go outside of H-town: http://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/agriculture/jerseyfresh/search.pl

Or.....jfgi and find all the hot spots for Jersey Fresh in the county at the roadside stands: http://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/agriculture/jerseyfresh/search.pl

And here's what to shop for and when: http://www.state.nj.us/jerseyfresh/searches/availability.htm

What a great site, check out the fairs and agrotourism links !!!!

OK, I am sold ---- see you there this weekend.

Jun '12

Our berry jams are all from Jersey strawberries, apple butter from Jersey apples, infused oils from fresh Jersey herbs. We use Jersey honey, Jersey eggs, Jersey Dairy. Carrots from Warwick, Greens from Warwick & Jersey. Garlic from Jersey, Scallions, Onions, Scapes and Hothouse Tomatoes from NJ and NY, Pita bread and Ciabatta from NJ. It is early in the farm season, but we do our best to cook as locally as possible! Always try to look out for the local guys like us!

And no, the Tahini is not from NJ sesame seeds, but if you can find me a provider I'll gladly switch over!

Jersey Fresh is a great resource, and it is how I found many of my local suppliers. Check it out and thanks for your support! See you Saturday!

Jess @ SBK Jess @ SBK
Jun '12

This just in:

Herbalist Jan Keyes (Califon, NJ) from Grandma's Herbals will be joining us --- She'll be next to Godlewsky's!

I look forward to seeing her wonderful products!!

Jun '12

All:

FYI, even though this thread is labeled Farmers Market the Hackettstown Moore Street Market (it's official name) is actually considered an Open Air Market with a variety of vendors, not just Farmers. We've actually been conscientious of using NJ vendors and making our best effort to support small businesses and by extension their families. We've been seeking out if not locally grown, but produced by small vendors that provide the hand-crafted artisan touch that the area craves.

Maybe it would be better labeled as a Community Market since it's more about bringing our community together in a positive experience.

Hope to see you on Saturday - I'm there in the morning from 8:00 am helping Vendors get set up, until about 10:30 - 11:00 when I get home and start posting all my wonderful stuff : )

Jun '12

Way to go Jess, thanks!

Jun '12

Ooh La La Lamour will be there again this week. I have been working hard at infusing Old Fashion Aftershave and Hand packing Vintage Cigar Box Shave Kits for Dad. They are Lovely. Also we will have more of our Body Scrubs and Soap this week. And look for some of our NEW Lotions that I have been blending in the up coming weeks. As well more of the Grapefruit Colada Beeswax Body Creme.
Hope to see you there
Also, FYI I do "Made to Order" products if you are looking for something you do not see on my table or Web site. Just ask and I am more than happy to blend up your order and bring to the next Market.

Ooh La La Lamour Ooh La La Lamour
Jun '12

On my way to the Market for set-up!! Hope to see you guys in a few!!
My budget opens up a little this week, I got my veggie box from Godlewsky's on Thursday!! I think I need to try another one of Jess's infused Grapeseed oil, get some jewelry for my niece who turned 12, some flowers for my table, more of the awesome spinach pierogies and whatever entices me from Conturso's!!

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

News Flash!!!

Demi's is giving away samples!!

Just the best weekend yet...

Holy cow look at all the neat vendors. I'm out the door!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '12

Just returned from the market, nice time, Gus the organic plant man has beautiful plants, if you need tomato plants stop by. Grandma's Janet really knows her herbs. Of course Wendy is there, buying catnip plants from Gus.

QUINLAN106
Jun '12

Demi's? There is a heaven!

Where's the pickles? ???? Very disappointed.

MikeL MikeL
Jun '12

http://www.localharvest.org/

Time to add it to the above, Wendy...

This Weeks Booty -

Yes, Bill I got my Catnip Plant from Gus now to see how long it lives -

Basil Infused Grapeseed Oil, Fresh Salsa, Carrot Walnut Bread, Fresh Bread from Jess at Silver Birch Kitchens

Flowers and Lavender - Kathy at Stone Row Acres
Sausage Bread - Ray at Olde World Sausage
Spices and Teas - Jan at Grandma's Herbals
Mac and Cheese Ravioli, Fresh Mozzarella, Red Pepper Hummus - Conturso's
Spinach Pierogie - Kaffe Kappry
Shave balm - Ooh La La Lamour
Charm Bracelet for nieces 12th Birthday!!! - Xunbo Yu

What a gorgeous day --- and a wonderful time seeing all the new faces both Vendors and Shoppers! And folks I hadn't seen in a while : )

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

Thanks iJay, we'll see if we can get on the list!

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

I was on a mission for pickles this morning and the pickle man is no where in sight. Very sad

Kissycat Kissycat
Jun '12

Love Conturso's! Today I got their fresh mozzarella and tomato & basil sauce.

Their eggplant parmesan dinner is the best, but they only had it the first week. Maybe next time if I'm lucky.

So what's up with the pickle guy?

GC,

When I went last week I got a free sample of the PB brownie and it was delish! It was a huge sample, about 1/2 of a brownie! Of course a few more brownies came home with me, plus the complimentary biscotti I was given. I did pass on a free coffee, but heck, if I'd taken that I'd have made out like a bandit :)

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jun '12

Really enjoyed my visit to the Farmers' Market today. What a wonderful location for it too - plenty of shade and benches if you feel like sitting. I had no problem at all parking. There were a number of parking spaces on the street (I arrived after 1:00).

I bought the most beautiful hanging basket from Godlewsky's and it looks so pretty in a plant stand in front of my apt.

Also bought bread and bruschetta from Silver Birch Kitchens which was fabulous. Already looking forward to next week.

Mindy'sMom Mindy'sMom
Jun '12

We got kielbasi from Kaffe Kappry. My husband grilled it for dinner tonight - served it with a nice green salad from our Godlewsky veggie box - delicious!

Also got chicken tarragon sausage from the Sausage Man; it's defrosting for tomorrow.

I got a beautiful anklet in rainbow colors from Yunbo. Very nice!

Missed Picklelicious - I brought extra money specifically for the cherry peppers.

It was nice to run into some HLifers, though!

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '12

We had another fantastic weekend last Saturday and are looking forward to Moore Street this Saturday, Silver Birch will be bringing our infused Grapeseed Oils, New Parmesan Dipping Blend, Carrot Walnut Bread, Blueberry Bread, Apple Cake, Banana Bread, White Chocolate Butterscotch Cookies, Salsa, Bruschetta, America's Bakery Bread, Greek Olive Hummus, Roasted Pepper Hummus, Original Hummus, Cheddar Beer Spread, Bacon Jack Spread, White Cheddar Horseradish and NEW this week, Hand Crafted Sugar Cookies from our friend Marisa at SemiSweet Desserts! Check her stuff out the cookies are seriously good! www.semisweetdesserts.com She makes beautiful hand rolled, cut and decorated cookies!

Hope to see you all there!

Jess @ SBK Jess @ SBK
Jun '12

any info on vendors for this week? 6/23

Hockeymom30 Hockeymom30
Jun '12

I sure hope Mini Mac will be back this week...

Natalie
Jun '12

trekster3: Do you know in advance which vendors will be there on any given Saturday or do they just show up (or not)?

I actually email them early in the week and ask if they have any specials or whether they'll be there or not --- most of them do not get back to me --- clearly Jess at Silver Birch does --- and Ooh La La Lamour did get back to me and let me know that they won't be here this week but will be returning next week.

The rest I have not heard from yea or nay and I did do an individual one to the Pickle people --- no response on whether they're coming or not --- I wish they would. And if the pickle guys isn't coming, I'm sure Conturso's would be happy to add some Pickles, Mushrooms, etc. to their Market inventory.

Jun '12

Thanks, Wendy.

Heading off to help get the Market ready - Hope Stella's has the coffee out!!

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

Market was sorta a bummer today. Mini Mac was not there again...did have breakfast at Stella G's though.
I have to vent on here...local businesses should really align their hours with the market if they were smart. Went to the kid's consignment shop right up the street (around 10:00am) and the person putting items outside told us "oh you can't come in, we are not open for another 20 minutes". Whatever, we just went home. Doesn't seem like good business sense to me. I know it was still early, but people with little ones typically do start the day early. Just sayin'.

Natalie
Jun '12

Thanks Natalie for the input - I totally agree - we make the effort to bring people into town and thankfully they do - our Market folks are wonderful and great to see every week especially on such a beautiful day. And especially my Hackettstown Life friends : )

Just so you all know Jess from Silver Birch Kitchens will be bringing some pickle products next week from a producer local to her. Still Jersey Made which is good! Sad to see the Pickle guy has clearly bailed on our Market : (

Also, Mini-Mac will be returning in two weeks to the July 7th Market - their daughter is getting Married, so that is a fantastic reason : ) --- I hope you all understand.

Conturso's, Silver Birch Kitchens, Kaffe Kapry, Olde World Sausage, Stone Acre Farms, Godlewsky's, Good Scents Growers, Gil and Grandma Jo, Gerry Grover, Grandma's Herbals all seem to be our very good Vendors who have great products and return every week. Ooh La La Lamour will be returning next week too!

New this week we had a Spinning Demo right under the Gazebo - the Mom of the Alpaca Farmer, who will be joining us next week - was spinning Alpaca wool! Awesome to watch! She also showed me how she took those plastic grocery bags and twisted strips to make a plastic yarn that she uses to make kitchen scrubbies, etc. out of the plastic bags - way to be green an re-use something before it gets recycled!

So you never know what you're going to find at the Market!

Oh and did you all hear Jim on WRNJ this morning?

Oh, this weeks haul - Flowers from Stone Row Acres, Mamma to be Tea (smells fantastic) from Grandma's herbals, Spinach pirogie from Kaffe Kapry, Raspberry Vinaigrette from Jerry Grover, Rolls and Cookies from Silver Birch Kitchens, Brownie and Cranberry Oat Bar from Grandma Jo!!

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

Kids Junction usually opens at 10am. They change their hours? I agree business people should be open when their is a function in town. I would call and tell the owner. She may be unaware of the Farmers Market.

Christine Christine
Jun '12

Good to know about Mini Mac, thank you treksrer!

Natalie
Jun '12

So I leave work early and have someone cover for me so I an make the Farmers Market. CLOSED...UGG I though it closed at 3. Got their at 2:20. Sooo disappointed. Next time.

Christine Christine
Jun '12

Went today for the first time - was not really impressed. The ravioli lady was nice but prices too high for me. I wonder if we are not getting a lot of vendors because Netcong also has their market on Saturday and Washington is on Friday.

Kate S. Kate S.
Jun '12

I agree there wasn't much to it, I was a little disappointed too. I also thought the ravioli prices were too high but after she gave me a sample one to try, I felt bad not making a purchase. I thought it was just OK but nothing to write home about. I bought a differerent one from the sample she gave me ...... will let you know what I think of those.
The pierogie vendor's prices were also high at $10 for a dozen.
I think I will try the ones at that store in Great Meadows --- she said most kinds are 4.99 a dozen and they looked good.

happy girl
Jun '12

Oh, and on the positive side ......... bought some things from Godlewsky's Farm.
Just had some of the salad for my late-night snacking --- very delicious !!

happy girl
Jun '12

Ooh La La Lamour will be there on Sat. I have Lavender Soap per a few Market gooers request. As well lotsa outdoor products to keep the bugs away during this up coming July 4th vaca week. So stop by and stock up before heading out of town or having your big cook out to keep the bugs at bay and cool your skin after a day in the Sun with our NEW Cool It, Organic Aloe Vera Body mist.
See you there

Jun '12

Oh boy oh boy godlewsky has CORN and we're raffling a market basket off featuring wonderful products from our vendors!

Trekster3 Trekster3
Jun '12

And the corn is GOOD!! A nice salad with Godlewsky's lettuce plus their fresh green beans fried in olive oil & garlic plus some cukes in vinegar and their dill... Those people make their money off of me without buying any plants.

Sausage and pepper risotto using the Sausage Man's hot Italian style turkey sausage. It's a bit of heat, it's a bit of fennel, add some parsley from Godlewsky's, it's just so good in the risotto.

I still want the chorizo ravioli from Conturso's but haven't finished the gruyere and carmelized onion yet. Well do that in a couple of weeks but today was more of those deep fried tortillas to go with the Amish Mango Salsa.

And why does Mo make good crumb cake? Doesn't she & Bruno know they're biting into our waist lines??

Why can't any of these people make BAD stuff?? This is affecting my ability to control my will power... ;-)

PS. Alpaca wool is squishy. Really squishy.

GC: Next week I'm going to follow you around and buy what you buy. You sure do know how to get the most out of that market.

Conturso's promised to bring some eggplant parm for me today. I hope they didn't forget. It's fabulous!

They had the eggplant parm! It was in the market basket and they had more!

Trekster3 Trekster3
Jun '12

cbel - The eggplant isn't tops on my list, but like Trekster3 said, they definitely had it. It's one of their popular items. If you don't believe me, just ask the 5 year old marketing dynamo holding up the rotating sign. ;-)

I got there at 1:30 (after the laundromat), and sure enough, they had it put aside for me. Bought two.

GC: Bought Godlewsky's lettuce and green beans, too. Tomorrow you have to tell me how to make sausage risotto. Believe it or not, I've never had risotto.

Cbel you will be in heaven after having risotto. And with GC's sausage risotto recipe I suspect you may never look back! LOL

Greg: My mouth is watering already.

I've given my risotto recipe before, but am happy to do it again. Here's my Farmers Market Simple Sausage Risotto version:

1 Package Sausage Man Turkey Sausage
1 Cup Water
1/2 Cup White Wine
1/3 Cup Rice
1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan
1/2 Bunch Goldlewsky's Parsley, chopped

Boil the sausage in the water. Be sure to poke holes in the sausage to allow fat to drain off. DO NOT THROW AWAY THE WATER. (yes, I don't care what people think and how many tell me the stuff is too fatty - its what risotto is made of, it's better than adding marrow, and after making this 75 times I stand by it, period) Add the white wine and bring back to a boil. Add rice, and stir, stir, stir. Boil down the water until it's completely absorbed, but do not allow it to burn. That's the only real issue with making a risotto, you have to be a good judge of when it's done and don't let it burn on the bottom. Add a bit more water if needed, but always add boiling water or it lowers the temp and makes it tougher to bring back to a boil. Add parsley and parmesan to finished rice. Top with a sprig of chopped parsley.

That's it.

Just finished the last of mine at noon.

GC ~ I have made risotto several times, but never quite like your recipe, sounds delicious and would love to give it a try. I have always used Arborio rice and actually toasted it a little to release the starches adding the liquid slowly as it cooks. Do you use regular rice or Arborio? And any particular type of wine with the turkey sausage? Thanks for posting this recipe..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '12

The fresh lemonade at Silver birch was AMAZING. I bought a bottle for me and my son to split and after sipping it I told him he had to get his own. He was thrilled to see grandma Jo, remembered her from last year, but she ha no snicker doodles. (we got there a little late today). I didn't buy anything from contursos but probably will buy the tomato focaccia next week. We did get a raspberry jam and a pineapple barbecue sauce as well from the Amish food stand.

Njchia Njchia
Jun '12

I'm not wasting my time going back. The same old group every weekend with nothing I would buy.

CBGB: WOW! Just WOW! I don't necessarily disagree with you, but that was harsh!

JrzyGirl88 - Yep, that's my own way of doing it. That's why I call it "Simple Risotto". I use ordinary rice, it's all up to your tastes of what kind of rice you like. You want a fluffy style rice one way or the other. Arborio is a great choice because of how fluffy. I use any white wine you would cook with. I use chardonnay from Chile, it's got lots of flavor but isn't expensive.

well finally got to market today.....though i was melting....brought 3 lovely plants.... to plant in garden from the organic farmer..................good price too........

dismom dismom
Jun '12

Thanks GC! Can't wait to try it. Love the "Simple" part, but looks fancy enough for company and they will think I slaved for an hour, some really good crusty bread, a nice salad and that will be perfect!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '12

"some really good crusty bread, a nice salad"

Nice ideas! I have another version where I use spicy sausage and hot peppers in it so you don't need the more delicate parmesan. But for the version I gave the bread on the side and a salad would be great. Garlic bread might be a bit too strong, but bruschetta would go great.

And by all means, tell everyone you spent hundreds of hours making it just right and have risotto elbow after all the stirring you had to do!! ;-)

Went to the market today with 2 kids in tow. They were REALLY excited (no really , they were totally looking forward to it) My daughter had us carry our true farmers baskets with the handles.
My son is in love with the "meat pie" as he calls it. The mac and cheese ravioli was to die for - bought a box that my kids already devoured.
I also got some room spray, earrings, plants and lunch for us all.

To add to the wonderful outing my daughter won the fantastic basket of goodies from the vendors! What a score! Huge wheel of "meet pie", my son was in heaven. (he has claimed it for himself alone - not sharing) Jewellery set, bug off rub, brownies, marmalade, cup cozies, stella g gift card, alpaca socks, stuffed bread with chicken parm, delicious banana bread. If I forgot anything its only cause we are all so stuffed.
The only I missed was the pickle guy but a vendor told me he's not coming back?!

Can't wait til next week!

3lilrascals 3lilrascals
Jun '12

Hate to say it but why does a street need to be shutdown for this on a Saturday?

Moore St. on that block is a major thorough fair on a Saturday...we have an Auction Market with plenty of free parking that is empty on Saturday but we are congesting downtown for this...makes no sense.
imo

"my daughter won the fantastic basket"

I hate you. I want to make that official. Chicken parm from Conturso's? That alone is cause for criminal mischief. Yet Stella G's that would pay for three lunches? The brownie was enough on its own, yet banana bread and marmalade? Hate. Disgust. Serious dislike. Daggers behind your back. You're too lucky for words. ;-)

Okay, everyone - here's a chance to get Hackettstown on the map - we might as well start w/ the best Farmer's Market!! This web site says we can work for the best Farmer's Market - soooo why not give it a shot, maybe more people will want to participate and more vendors will want to sell - this could be a big opportunity!!!

Let's vote as many times as we can!!

I'm not sure if it's been put up before, but this can't hurt us!!!

Copy and paste the link below, or just click on it and VOTE for Hackettstown!!

http://action.farmland.org/site/PageServer?pagename=best_local_farmers_market_vote

TerryLynn TerryLynn
Jul '12

I purchased the mac -n- cheese ravioli- anyone who has had it do you use a red sauce on it?

kimberlysea kimberlysea
Jul '12

We bought it and just had it plain as a side dish just like mac&cheese

3 lil - I'm so glad you're enjoying the Basket --- we might do another one later in the season with a little more notice so more people can take part!

Me4 - The central location in town gives much better visibility and we get quite a bit of business from folks just driving through, we do what we can with marketing, but the drive-by traffic makes all the difference.

Terry - thanks so much for the props - I've got an email out to these folks to see if I can add photo's etc. to our listing : )

Happy2 - Thanks for your kind words and our lovely phone chat!!

FYI, I'll be at the Market all day on Saturday!! --- Me and the Alpaca! Hope to see you there : )

We'll be having a new vendor on Saturday and Mini-Mac should be back "Yeah" (and the crowd goes wild) Also, Jess from Silver Birch is working on getting some awesome pickles!! Should put those pickleicious people to shame - I'll keep you posted on all the details!

Jul '12

Wendy - That basket has so many things in it. I would suggest splitting all the prizes in two so you can do it more often.

Wendy , who is the new vendor?

Whew - I updated our webpage to be more accurate! And it also has links to the Vendors that have websites!

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/news/2012/4/moore-street-market-a-farmers

With the heat again, I'm guessing the Alpaca will not be there : ( - I can't wait to meet him!

Kaffe Kapry let me know that they will be having Cheese Blintzes this week (yum)!

We have two new Vendors:

Skylite Gel and Soy Candles
Silkie City Farms - Chicken, Duck and Turkey Eggs.

FYI, Spoke with Bests Fruit Farm this week, they'll try to make it next week, but almost for certain by the 21st (yeah!)

Jul '12

Wendy,

If there was any, any way to mark the vendor's that have Jersey Fresh, that would be fantastic. Not only shopping local, but buying local produce and goods is a real plus for the market. Better yet would be to highlight the Jersey Fresh products that will be available each weekend. It's the great advantage of the market for me, and hopefully others. Would anyone else like to know where to find Jersey Fresh at the market? (obviously the local farms are JF in season but highlighting what places like SBK are doing with Jersey Fresh is so cool and such a time saver for those of us looking for it).

Anything that you can do to help would be great!!!!

Thanks again Jess for advertising Jersey Fresh products that you have. Makes me shop SBK first!!!!

Jul '12

Getting ready to go to the market -
I would suggest that everyone come out early before it gets too hot! I'd like everyone to visit safely : ) We also have some vendors with product that can't take the heat well, believe it or not it's the candles and organic skin care products that are at risk!

MG - Good Idea - I'll ask them and post the JF logo where applicable!

Hope to see you at the Market --

Today I'm sportin' my snappy WNTI T-Shirt!

trekster3 trekster3
Jul '12

You've got a T-shirt with snaps?? I didn't think they went together so well...

As you saw GC, no snaps : )

FYI, Severe weather headed this way --- if you're coming to the market COME NOW - we'll be shutting down by 1:30 pm...

Jul '12

It was great today. My husband and I bought three kinds of eggs from the very nice women from silkie city farms, and a raspberry loaf from silver birch kitchens that I am about to try right now :) I love looking forward to Saturday mornings to check out the new stuff at the market.
Still want those pickles though :(

Kissycat Kissycat
Jul '12

Stopped and the farmers market quickly yesterday to get some tomatoes and was a bit taken aback by the price of them. Bought them anyway since I just wanted to get home and not go any further. The stand I got the tomatoes from was charging $.50
each for very ripe tomatoes (and on the small side) or $1.00 each for larger, not as ripe as the other ones. I was surprised at the price, but bought them anyway. Does anyone think that's excessive or is it me?

Bessie Bessie
Jul '12

What is the price per pound anywhere else? I have not been to the Farmers Market yet. BUT i do buy at Donaldsons and their tomatoes I paid $1.39lb and it was under $3 for 3 wonderfully tasting tomatoes. That is aobut $1 each. They were big.

Christine Christine
Jul '12

Donaldson's tomatoes are $1.39 lb? Usually their prices are much higher than that --- that's why I don't buy from them.

happy girl
Jul '12

I bought plum tomatoes at Donaldsons for $1.99 lb, a bit higher than Shop Rite but they were well worth it. I don't think any were $1.39 a lb when I was there.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '12

I paid $1.39 because they had a bin of over ripe. They were th ebest tomatoes this season yet. Went this morning and paid $1.99 lb. 3 tomatoes Almost $3. Thats almost a $1 each. I really don't mind pahying that as they are good and healthy. So the Hackettstown Farmers Market where you got the tomatoes were pretty much on mark. My question is were they good?

Christine Christine
Jul '12

They were ok..the ones from Donaldson's were good and the price fair, the ones from the farmers market, very ripe and pretty small but I was cooking with them so they worked. I paid $4.00 for 8 small, over ripe tomatoes and I thought that was high. Trust me, I have no problem paying for quality, the fact that I count the days until Donaldson's has their own corn is proof enough. I do have a problem paying a lot for mediocre just because it's local. Does Donaldson's always have an over ripe bin? I will have to look for it next time I'm there, they're usually good for cooking.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '12

Update for me...
Just read an email that Donaldson's corn is ready..will be there tomorrow for my first taste of the season.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '12

We did "pick your own corn" at an Amish Farm in Strausburg in Lancaster County. After picking we got to sit and visit with the family for hours with an invite back. Well......the corn was sweet as sugar and sooooooo tender! Guess we'll be going back real soon!

John C John C
Jul '12

Oh............almost forgot, the corn was only .25 cents an ear. Tomatos are 3lbs for $1.00.

John C John C
Jul '12

@Bessie no they do not always have the over ripe (as I call them almost rotten) tomatoes. They are perfect for a tomato salad I make as they are very juicy.

I just got the same email cannot wait to try their corn.

Christine Christine
Jul '12

@JohnC..it's like rubbing salt in the wound, LOL.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '12

John - did you come home with that beautiful horse, too? ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '12

@Christine, had Donaldson's corn for the first time this summer, worth every penny.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '12

Thanks Bessie. picling some up on my home tomorrow for dinner.

Christine Christine
Jul '12

No horse Rebecca........couldn't make it fit in the back seat!

John C John C
Jul '12

Got excellent corn today at Ashley's in Flanders. This season is turning out pretty good for produce.

John C John C
Jul '12

I went to the market for the first time saturday and although it was extremely hot out we were still able to get some great things. I made the Mushroom Raviolis last night and I will definitely get them again. I also got some fresh produce and the girls at Godlewsky's were very knowledable and gave me some ideas of what to do with everything and different ways to cook it. I can't wait to go back this weekend and see what I can get.

just saying is all
Jul '12

knowledgable*

just saying is all
Jul '12

Fantastic News!

Silver Birch Kitchens is bringing PICKLES!!

Best's Fruit Farms will be joining us!

AND

Rumor has it that Godlewsky will be bringing Sutton Farms Cheese, Pittenger Farms Meats, and Local Honey!! NOTE: I cannot confirm yet, but that would be awesome!

Reminder: Our local Shops and Market Vendors rely on your patronage and helps us keep these and attract more Vendors!!

Jul '12

Wendy , do you know if Mini Mac is coming back?

jdem - nope, just heard this morning that they are not coming back - fortunately Godlewsky's is working to fill the gap with Sutton Farms and Pittenger Farms as well as local honey - is there anything else they offered that you were looking for?

Jul '12

Banana Bread in the oven, Pickles packed and ready for snacking! Marc will be there today with Italian pasta salad , hummus, cheese spreads, garlic scape pesto, and a newbie Eggplant Caponata! It's looking to be glorious day!

Hope to see you all out there!

Pickles come in quart containers, $6 or today's special 2 for $10!

Whole Sours, Whole Green Half Sours, Garlic Dill Wholes and Spears, Zesty Hot Chips (capsicum chiles!) and my personal fave Horseradish Sweet Chips!

Jess @ SBK Jess @ SBK
Jul '12

Yum, Yum, Yum!!

By the way skies are clearing here (I see blue!) and radar looks great!

See ya later Jess!!

trekster3 trekster3
Jul '12

Marc told me the pickles were flying fast! We apologize if you missed out today. We will bring a whole bunch more next week!!!! Thanks for coming out and trying out stuff, we <3 Hackettstown!

Jess @ SBK Jess @ SBK
Jul '12

Polish Pierogi on Hacettstown Farmer's Market every Saturday! Home made, 9 different kinds - precooked, just thaw them and fry!!! Home made stuffed cabbage and more!

Irena Irena
Jul '12

Here's my photo from this week!!

Oh and Jess the pickles are awesome!

Now that we have Pickles and Sutton Farm Cheese - with Bests Fruit DEF coming next week, we're working on getting local meats - We'd Like to get Pittenger Farms, so if you guys could help lobby them, we'd appreciate it!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/LL-Pittenger-Farm/110119245674842
1 (973) 786-6147

This Weeks Yummy and Fun stuff - Bread, Lavender Lemonade, Dill Pickles, Eggplant Companade and Red Pepper Hummus from Silver Birch - Brownie from Grandma Jo, Cheddar Cheese from Godlewskys (Sutton Farm), Cherry Candle from Skylite Soy Candles, Crimi Portobello Raviola from Contursos and Zesty Parm dressing from Jerry Grover!

trekster3 trekster3
Jul '12

Veggies and hanging geraniums at Godlewsky's...yyuumm!

acl76 acl76
Jul '12

Finally got there today. Today's purchase: sausage, perogies, fresh mozzarella, giant ripe tomatoes, zucchini. Godlewsky's was all out of peaches so I stopped at their farm on the way home to get some. Also walked up & down main street to shop & love how beautiful the flowers look! On a negative note, 2 thumbs down for lunch @ El Mexicano. Tasteless, dry burritos with warm, flat soda.

zucchs, tomatoes, onions and kale for me at Godlewsky's today! They are very knowledgeable and pleasant there. Can't believe I missed the pickles! I am a serious pickleholic with no interest in recovery lol. Well, there's always next week!

JessM. JessM.
Jul '12

Today's purchases: Full sour pickles, Eggplant Parmesan bread, Corn, Pierogis, a beautiful stargazer lily flower arrangement that I bought for my mom (she loved it too - scored good daughter points today lol). Somehow I missed the cheese, but all in a all a good day.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '12

Yeah, Ooh La La Lamour will be back next Sat. at the Farmers Market. Thanks to all my great followers that found me up at the Long Valley Green Festival to make sure id be back next week!!!
And thanks to you all that trucked up the hill to find me just to purchase my products.:)That makes me Happy.

So we will be offering our Usual Best Seller of the Summer our BYE BUGS BALM as well the long awaited NEW Facial Wash and Serum (So you know who, that has been asking for it) its ready and its lovely, so stop by and pick it up.

As well our Wonderful All Natural & Organic Balms, Butters, Body Wash, Body Scrubs and of course our French Hand milled Luxe Soaps and more.

~Enjoy your week and see you next Sat

Jul '12

Fantastic Candace we'll see you on Saturday!!

Jul '12

Oh and we won't have the Alpacas, but we'll have Turkeys (other then me!) - this is from their Facebook!

Silkie City Farm
Come out and see us this Saturday at the Moore Street Farmers' Market in Hackettstown from 9-2pm.

Pick up some delicious eggs and visit with some adorable silkie chicks and baby turkeys!

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/news/2012/4/moore-street-market-a-farmers

trekster3 trekster3
Jul '12

How could I forget to remind everyone!!

This weeks Moore Street Market has lots to offer, including Pickles dips and spreads & NEW Beet Hummus from Silver Birch Kitchen, NEW Skin Care Products from Ooh La La Lamour, NEW teas from Grandma's Herbals and Silkie City is bringing their Chicks and Baby Turkeys! Conturso's market will have assorted homemade stuffed breads, homemade hummus, dips, homemade tortilla chips, prepared meals and homemade assorted foccacia.

Oh and Bests should be joining us this week!!

There's always something good at our Market!

trekster3 trekster3
Jul '12

Any word on Pittenger Farms?

jrsemom jrsemom
Jul '12

Nope - I think it would take a strong customer lobby, I'll try again next week......
Oh and Sutton Family Farm Cheese may or may not be there. If they're not Godlewsky's will have their Cheese again.

FYI, I'll be at the college for the Freshman Orientation, but I'll be down at the Market a little later, probably with my girls : ) --- gotta come see the chicks!

trekster3 trekster3
Jul '12

We checked out the Market on Saturday for the first time and were so disappointed...there were not many vendors at all. We did get some peaches from one of the produce vendors. Are the vendors dwindling down or is this the norm there?

Jules Jules
Jul '12

Jules, we were missing 3 vendors, Treasure Grove Alpaca's, Olde World Sausage Bread and Amish goods - Our Market is small mostly by design, though we would like Sutton Farm Cheeses and Pittenger Farm Meats to join us and we'd have a fairly full Market. We are keeping it to unique items with very few duplicate products and not to have re-sellers which would make it more like a flea market.

Are there any vendors (other than cheese and meat) that you'd like to see there, or a particular product that you felt was lacking?

trekster3 trekster3
Jul '12

Hey Forum,

Is there any room for new vendors? My father owns a small concession stand. He makes sno-kones, hot dogs, cotton candy, popcorn and more! I know the idea is to sell local goods and produce but sometimes if people know there's something like that, it might draw them in. Especially if you're driving down the street and kids spot cotton candy.....mom and dad might feel obliged to stop over. Whoever visits this thread that's in charge of the market, if you're interested please let me know and I'll give you my dad's contact info. Thanks.

Jj84 - Please feel free to email me at staff@hackettstownbid.com, it sounds like your products might be more suitable for our Street Fair in September so check out this site - www.streetfairs.org -

Jul '12

Wendy,

Thanks so much! I'll check it out and let my dad know. I'll also send you his contact info via email.

I go to the farmers market every week and I think that Jj84's dad's stand would be a great addition!

just saying is all
Jul '12

I usually go to blairstown farmers market but stopped by hackettstown last Saturday. I was surprised at the limited number of vendors (food) compared to blairstown. I think they have more room though.

A Good Day
Jul '12

oh and by the way, thanks to Terry for her hard work getting us on the 'best of' list --- we're now at #5 --- feel free to vote!!

http://action.farmland.org/site/PageServer?pagename=top_5&autologin=true#NJ

trekster3 trekster3
Jul '12

Yippee - so glad we're there - now if we KEEP ON VOTING more people will come, more vendors will come, more shopping will take place on Main Street - let's keep it going!!! Thanks trekster!!!!

TerryLynn TerryLynn
Jul '12

We're now tied for #4

trekster3 trekster3
Jul '12

Let's keep it going - if everybody in town voted once, we'd be winning!!! We've got to get everybody to vote!!!!! Please!!! Remember, vendors, you can vote as well! (The more email addresses used, the better!!)

TerryLynn TerryLynn
Jul '12

Here is the link - just type in Hackettstown and VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!!!!

"If you build it, they will come!!"

http://action.farmland.org/site/PageServer?pagename=best_local_farmers_market_vote

TerryLynn TerryLynn
Jul '12

"If you build it, they will come!" --- TerryLynn

Build what? What are you referring to?

happy girl
Jul '12

Hey "Just sayin is all",

Thanks for the support. I'm sure other people would also like to see a sno-kone/cotton candy stand there but if it's a small fair they want, it is what it is.....

:0) Thanks again.

From the Washington Township, (Morris County) webpage -

Next week begins New Jersey Farmers’ Market Week. Long Valley Green Market has been chosen by the NJ Department of Agriculture out of all 150 farmers’ markets in the state to host the 2012 Farmers’ Market Week.

NJ Secretary of Agriculture Douglas Fisher will visit at 3 p.m. Thursday, August 2 at the Long Valley Green Market, 20 Schooley’s Mountain Road, Long Valley, at the beginning of Farmers Market Week in New Jersey.

There will be a short speaking program, a presentation of Farmers’ Market Week proclamations, and a tour of the market.

All are welcome to attend.

Wendy,
Anything new this week to report??

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '12

JrzyGirl - as a matter of fact I do have news : ) Thanks for asking!

This week we are expecting:

Harvey's Revenge Hot Sauce & Ed Nashimura Photography

We are now up to 19 registered vendors and the weather looks fine for tomorrow!

Thanks to all for your continued support -

And as a not so subtle reminder, while you're in town there are plenty of shops within a block of the Market, stop in and say hi to our hometown businesses!

Aug '12

Thanks for the update, will stop by for sure to check out the hot sauces.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '12

Best's has awesome nectarines and sugar plums......I didn't even know they had nectarine and plum trees! Actually I had never had a sugar plum before....only heard of "sugar plums danced in their heads" :) They are small,so you can just pop them in your mouth, but sweet and juicy! Mmmmm.....

FarmersMarketLover
Aug '12

What's going on at the Market?

Harvey's Revenge Hot Sauce - lots of flavor and a little spice, All Natural with No preservatives - crafted in Long Valley and sold Nationwide and now to Europe!

Best's - it's Kim Bests Birthday!! And they brought Plum Tomatoes and White peaches along with everything else.

Xunbo Yu - has some lovely new jewelry designs

Godlewsky's - has Nice Eggplants, Cukes and Tomatillo's

Ooh La la Lamour - brought her Morning Maple Soap and Facial mist to cool off with -
She's also doing a promotion where she will make a donation to breast cancer research

Kaffy Kappry's - 9 varieties of pierogie!!

Gil the Sausage man & Grandma Jo - some nice fresh Peach Cobbler!

Silver Birch Kitchen - New zucchini bread and their carrot walnut bread, lemonade and pickles!

Don't forget Conturso's with their stuffed bread, focaccia Pizza, hummus and dips.

Grandma's Herbals - with her tea and spice blends for every need.

Stone Row Acres beautiful Fresh Flowers!

trekster3 trekster3
Aug '12

Conturso's - Don't forget? What about those deep fried wonton style tortilla chips?? I keep being a sucker for those. They're a great platform for that hot sauce.

Harvey's Revenge is a good sauce with flavor. Too many times they just have plain heat, but theirs has some nice warm cumin like spice, balanced by a sour touch of vinegar, with a dilute heat that isn't going to hurt anyone while it lets you know it's still the real thing. It's too bad they didn't have the napalm with them, which is what I committed to buying. But they're signed up for the rest of the summer so I'll grab that when the next batch is bottled.

Too bad I've been ruined by lunch ladies when it comes to peaches. Not just the cobbler (which still looked tempting) but Best's. I'm glad Best had the tomatoes, they were definitely worth it. The hot italian style turkey sausage is perfect for sausage and peppers, healthy version. Include Godlewsky's who had a nice selection of hot peppers. Or the chicken tarragon sausage with some nice pepper jack on a bagel, or in a sausage risotto. Just finishing make all of those as I'm writing this. (hey, why settle on just one??)

Trekster, would love to see something along this line at the market. I think it would be a hit.

http://gourmetnutsanddriedfruit.com/

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '12

Thanks Jrzy - email sent!

Also, we'll be having entertainment coming up!!

Chris at S.C.3. Entertainment will be DJ'ing bright and early on Sat. 8/18!!

Thanks Chris!

Oh and Harvey's Revenge Hot Sauce is my new addiction - proceeded to slather it on my Tomato Foccacia from Conturso's!!

Aug '12

Great!! Hope they can make it..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '12

Best Farms - Fruit - Apricots, Peaches, Plum Tomato, Sugar Plums
Conturso's Market - Stuffed Breads, Hummus, Dips, Chips
Ed Nashimura Photography - Coming end of August!
Feula Farms - Farm fresh eggs
Godlewsky Farms - Local produce, plants and herbs - Cheeses, Meats, Honey!!
Grandma's Herbals - Dried Herbs and Teas & related products
Harvey's Revenge Hot Sauce
Jerry Grover - Amish Family Recipe's - Jams, Salsa, Mustard, Pickles, BBQ Sauce
Kaffe Kaprys - Pierogies, Kielbasa & Blintzes
Olde World Sausage Bread - Stuffed Bread, Chilli, Popcorn
Ooh La La Lamour - Lotions, Soaps, etc.
Sausage Man/Grandma Jo - Sausage, Brownies, Jams
Silkie City Farm - Chicken, Duck & Turkey eggs
Silver Birch Kitchens - Sweet Breads, Jams - NEW! Pickles!
Skylite Gel & Soy Candles
Stone Row Acres - Flowers, flowering plants
Treasure Grove Ranch - Alpaca products, soaps
Yunbo Xu Jewelry - Handcrafted and designed jewelry

Working with getting these folks, they're really nice, but really busy
- probably not this week maybe August 18th!
Gourmet Nuts and Fruits! - http://www.gourmetnutsanddriedfruit.com/

Aug '12

Hey Everyone!

Silver Birch is looking forward to our Dog Days Celebration this weekend! We will have Beet hummus, Red pepper hummus, Greek Olive Hummus, New Roasted Pepper and Eggplant Dip, Eggplant Caponata, Bacon Jack Spread White Cheddar Horseradish Spread, New Basil Pistou, Garlic Scape Pesto, New Sun Dried Tomato Spread, New Olive Tapenade, Zucchini Bread, Carrot Walnut Bread, and New Pineapple Cake!

As for the raffle, our donation will be........Winner's Choice!

Come on out and hang with us, it should be a marvelous day!

Jess @ SBK Jess @ SBK
Aug '12

Thanks Jess - too bad I can't win!!

FYI, We'll be having a Market Raffle as well as DJ this week!!

Oh and as far as I know all of our vendors will be there this week!!

http://www.sc3dj.com/

Aug '12

Gettin' Ready to head to the Market - Some of the Vendors have already told me about their specials -

Ooh La La Lamour - Hand Milled Soaps - $4.00

Silver Birch Kitchens - Sweet Potato Hummus, Sun Dried Tomato Basil White Bean Spread, Olive trio tapenade, Roasted Pepper & Eggplant Dip.

Jerry Grover - Beanies Chuckwagon BBQ Sauces & Amish Salsa's (Bean, Corn, Pineapple, Mang) - $4.50 each or 2 for $8.00

and we have Raffles during the Market ---

Also, some Q & A with the Vendors - http://www.hackettstownbid.com/news/2012/8/getting-to-know-the-moore-street

trekster3 trekster3
Aug '12

Good News! The town has extended our permit to the end of October!!

Sep '12

Just got back from the Market! -- Got my goodies - Kale, Leeks, Tomatoes and Green Peppers from Godlewsky's - Brownies from Gil and Grandma Jo - Lavender Sachets from Stone Row Acres - Apple Cider from Best's - Salsa from Jerry Grover - Peirogies and Stuffed Cabbage from Kappry's Catering --- Yum, Yum, Yum - now munching on Kale and Salsa!!

trekster3 trekster3
Sep '12

love the list of 19 vendors put out by the BID...but where was everyone yesterday?
Was there about 11 AM -- what i'd think was prime shopping time-- and only a handful of vendors were there. do folks leave when they get sold out of goods earlier, or are vendors not committed to showing up every Saturday?

gen3Townie gen3Townie
Sep '12

Not every vendor shows up every week as they have other commitments. When there season of selling is over they stop coming.

Christine Christine
Sep '12

Christine, thanks as always for your support! -- -gen3, yep the 14 that we currently have are not committed to come every week, but last week was really a bad bunch of circumstances for two of our biggest vendors! One vendor had freezer troubles, from that Tuesday storm and another had car trouble and didn't get there until noon, so you just missed them! I try to keep our web list current so here is the link: http://www.hackettstownbid.com/news/2012/4/moore-street-market-a-farmers --- now that we have had a pretty successful market, we've actually gotten several inquiries already about vendors ready to join our market next year!

This weeks Market we're enjoying a Market Raffle of some great products from Jerry Grover, Jewelry from Cloud Wave Jewelry and Winners Choice of Fall Decor products from Godlewsky Farms! And as far as I know our regular vendors should all be there, maybe even the Alpacas now that the weather is cooling down for them!

Bests has their fresh pressed Apple Cider (and apples of course!) and Stone Row Acres has wonderful lavender sachets!

We'll also have Valley Fiddles with 12-15 Fiddlers providing lovely entertainment for Market-goers to enjoy!

Hope you'll join us!

Oh and for those missed the note above we extended through October!

trekster3 trekster3
Sep '12

OK, so this could have equally been here or in "I'm Happy Because...".

"Godlewsky grilled jalapenos" become "Gil the Sausage Man chicken tarragon and chipotle risotto".

Next stop, balsamic carmel glazed Best's apple & melted jack cheese chicken. Again. For the third week in a row. Serving over a bed of noodles optional.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.