Best Burger in and around HTown

So my friend and I have started a website devoted to rating cheeseburgers, and we are looking for quality places to get one in and around the area. I know we have 8,000 fast food joints in Hackettstown, but I was hoping you all could help me create the "short list" of places to enjoy a burger and a beer with friends in and around our town.

Pump House? Mattar's?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Aren't you the same guy who tried this once before? Or at least posted on another burger thread, promoting your site or something...

Lori...Since '73 Lori...Since '73
Sep '11

I think the Burger at High Noon on 46 in BL is good.

CheekyLOL
Sep '11

Previous threads:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/214651#t214830

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/165796

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

I have heard that the cheeseburger at Marleys is good- but I have never had it. Give it a shot CR ;)

katievits24 katievits24
Sep '11

thx Calico!

Sep '11

@Calico696 - Thank you very much , I will take a look at both threads.

@CheekyLOL - My wife grew up in Budd Lake, and we have passed that building no less than 1000 times. Sadly, we have never gone in. I'll give it a look. Thanks!

@Lori - I did post to Five Guys thread when I first joined the site. And yes, I mentioned my site in my post. I learned quickly that I posted to a thread with a non-related response, something I have remedied since. I also thought it to be somewhat self-serving to post the link to the website, which is why is it does not appear in this thread.

I am also the same guy who grew up in Hackettstown, graduated from HHS, recently bought a home in Hackettstown, and is attempting to get involved with this thread in earnest. I will pick this forum etiquette thing up eventually!

-Chris

@katievits24 - perhaps I can set up some sort of group outing!

The Five Guys thread, that was it! Good luck to you, with your new home AND your poll. I hope the links that Calico posted help :)

Sep '11

CR37 -Just for future reference, if you use the search box at the top of the page you can find old threads for viewing and posting. Welcome back to H'town.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

CR37- High Noon is awesome. I sat in there one night with the owner/cook/bartender and nobody else was there, felt a little weird... Little Chinese Lady doing it all by herself. She said nobody comes in.

She recently did the whole place over and if I owned the place I'd be a happy man. It is a very very nice bar. I do not understand why people do not go in there. She makes good food and has a huge selection of beer and liquor.

It's actually pretty big with tables on the one side and a pool table/darts/arcade games on the other, bar in the middle. I think it's the perfect hangout for getting together with friends, for college kids, and for a burger..

CheekyLOL
Sep '11

The best burger is at the American Legion in Hackettstown when they have them on friday nites.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Sep '11

@Predator - is that open to the public? I would love to try it out.

@Calico - tested out the search function. Works like a charm!

CR37- an outing would be a blast. I nominate the mrs for DD. ;) And yes, welcome back to Htown.... we just can't stay away!

katievits24 katievits24
Sep '11

If you do another search on the Happy Hours you'll see Marleys has been used for outings quite a few times - I think I can remember at least 4 there??

I can't add anything on this subject that the other two times haven't gone over in excruciating detail. ;-)

Only thing I know that's changed is Brian's isn't around any more, that's it.

CR37: The American Legion on Willow Grove Street serves dinner every Friday evening and is open to everyone. The billboard out in front will say whatever they are serving that particular week. Some Friday nights are just Burgers, Steak Sandwiches and Perogies...others a full meal..and the cost is very minimal and food excellent. I believe this Friday is the cheesesteaks and burgers...C'mon out and enjoy!

joyful joyful
Sep '11

CheekyLOL- The place used to have a lot of cars before they redid it. There never seems to be anyone in the lot. Wasn't it a biker-type bar before?

blackcat blackcat
Sep '11

If this is just a burger thread my vote is Mattars or JP Kellys.

Phil D Phil D
Sep '11

My friend said that the burger in Chili's in Budd Lake was the best she ever had.
My DH and Love the burgers at Barones on Rte 206.
And you can have a beer at both places.

apple apple
Sep '11

Prickly Pear has excellent burgers and you also get their amazing homemade fries with it. Plus it's the same price as some of the chains out there....did I mention I love Prickly Pear ;-)

Peggy Peggy
Sep '11

Edison Ale House in Newark. OMG best Burger I ever ate!

Christine Christine
Sep '11

Edison Ale House just opened. I have to try it soon. Around the block from there is Uberburger which is really good.

Bryan Bryan
Sep '11

Uberburger is also good, ALthough havent been there in a while.

DS is second in charge at Edison Ale house. Its got good reviews and is always packed. Specially during games. Been there twice and loved it both times.

Christine Christine
Sep '11

Mattars burger is very good but the fries are always soggy. If you are in New Hope a place called the Sandbar has an excellent burger and fries for 5 and change. Its a bar/rest so you can get plastered also. Over the river in Lamberville The Inn Of The Hawk has good burgers and fish n chips.

I know thats not in or around but thought the burger website guy might want to scope them out.

Salt in Byram - awesome burgers!

Jules Jules
Sep '11

The Chatterbox near Newton has awesome burgers. Its about 30 minutes from hackettstown

AppCinnTea AppCinnTea
Oct '11

Had a burger & fries at Allamuchy General Store recently. I thought both the burger & fries were very good.

Slade Slade
Oct '11

Appcinntea: Have to agreee with Chatterbox..it is also just a fun place to go with all the 50's decor. Their milkshakes are great too!

joyful joyful
Oct '11

I'm looking forward to trying The Chatterbox. I've worked just down the road from it for a couple of years and never have. The family and I did stop once on a Saturday, but they were having a car show and the wait just to sit down was 45 mins. Normally we wouldn't have minded, but that day we had been hiking and were just too hungry to wait. We'll have to try again soon :)

Oct '11

Lori...WRNJ's Doc South used to DJ at the Chatterbox on weekends as well...not sure if he still does and they always had a race car or antique car in the middle of the restaurant revolving and trains going around the top part of the entire restaurant. Now, I want to go back too.

joyful joyful
Oct '11

Lockwood Tavern...

I am definitely interested in all places in NJ/NYC. I work in the city, so Hoboken and Newark are great. One of raters went to Salt recently, and said it was awesome. As for the others, believe me, I am making a list ;)

CR37, check out DDD on Foodnetwork's site and look up the areas and maybe you can get some places to check out. I know I drool when they show any greasy cheeseburgers anywhere. Good luck to you. Let us know your blog or site and how much weight you've gained in your quest. ;)

INeedMoreCowBell INeedMoreCowBell
Oct '11

@cowbell - I began this venture shortly after completing the P90X workout program. I have put on some weight, but probably more because of buying a house and changing my commuting schedule drastically than glomming tasty burgers and beer hahaha. The website is accessible if you click on my username, but want to refrain from posting it directly as I am looking to establish a touch of HL credibility.

I have rated four places, and should be going to a fifth soon. I am trying not to do too much damage to my health, so I am supplementing my lack of burger eating with other material. Luckily, my partner in crime is filling in the gaps nicely. I desperately want to rate an HTown place, probably so I won't have to travel too far :)

DDD is a great idea.

Cool. Thanks. If you wanna drool, go to DennysBeerBarrelPub.com. I also would love to see a Heart Attack Grill come to NJ, just for the heck of it. Yes, I know, I know, all fat and angio plasty, but it looks like so much fun when I saw it on tv. LOL.

Best burger i ever had was in some dive bar in PA when I was with girlfriends in college. It's always the least likely places with the best stuff.

INeedMoreCowBell INeedMoreCowBell
Oct '11

The Corner Bistro in NYC ( corner of Jane St. & West 4th) has the best burger I have ever had. If you find yourself in the westside of the village, you must try it. I beleive they always rate in the top 10 of all NYC restauranst as well, but you can't always go by those ratings.

mr2cool mr2cool
Oct '11

Believe it or not, I vote for Dairy Queens flamethrower - what a burger!! Nice and spicy!

betty smith betty smith
Oct '11

Go now to Alexis Diner on Route 10 in Denville and order a patty melt. Prepare to be dumbstruck by the experience. Go hungry because you will be eating every bite. Top rated by the Star Ledger Munchmobile and once you try one, you'll know why. Mmmmmm...

BlackestCat BlackestCat
Oct '11

@mr2cool - that was the first place I rated. It was damn good, I just wish I wasn't "on the clock" when I went. $2.75 McSorleys...can't go wrong.

Well if we are branching out:

Five Guys in Stroudsburg, Denville, Parsippany and Wayne --- best fast food burger around

NYC --- there's a little boutique hotel in mid town with the best burger in NYC. Near MOMA.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Oct '11

I personally like the burgers at LV Brew Pub. During flag football, went there many times after and enjoyed a burger and beer on a nice early Sunday afternoon. Sometimes at their new outdoor bar. Nothing could beat it.

ComputerSharp ComputerSharp
Oct '11

Corner Bistro is ok, but they don't get a great char on their burger and sometimes I feel like you are getting something reheated.

For a super high end burger the best spot in NY is Minetta Tavern IMO.. the Black Label burger is unreal and you pay for it. Something more affordable is Bills Burger.. its more a "smashed" burger. Spoted Pig's burger is amazing though the blue cheese can be a bit much (I've heard you can order without) and its also a bit pricey but a great place. Peter McManus has a fantastic burger in an atmosphere that is getting harder and harder to find in NYC.. its a true local bar, family owned forever and a "dive" in the most pleasant sense of the word.

If you are doing burger reviews you will have to try some of the "Whites".. White Mana, Manna and Rose for slider style burgers.

Out here I'm partial to Salt.. but I also love beer. I had a great burger on a random stop headed back from mt creek last winter at Homestead on 94

BLocal BLocal
Oct '11

CR37 - checked out your site. Pretty cool! Def gonna hit up Kennedy's and maybe try Salt based off your " crue's " suggestions. I'll try to keep you in mind if I ever have a burger at other joints. Always liked the Stuff Yer Face burger down at Stuff Yer Face in New Brunswick.

ComputerSharp ComputerSharp
Oct '11

Yes Stuff Yer Face is good... Old Man Rafertys also but its been a while.

Random trivia on Stuff Yer Face, one of the most well known celeb chefs in the country got his start there... Mario Batali.

BLocal BLocal
Oct '11

Go to Zinburger - absolutely hands down one of the BEST burgers I've ever had (SALT is still my local favorite). Kobe beef - fresh and juicy. http://www.zinburgernj.com/

Jules Jules
Oct '11

Is High Noon closed? Drove by Sunday evening around 7:30 and it was dark with no cars outside.

blackcat blackcat
Oct '11

@ComputerSharp - Thanks! I spent four years in New Brunswick, and did not have a burger at Rafferty's OR Stuff Yer Face. I might need to head on down one of these weekends.

@Jules - One of our burger raters (and our webdesigner) went to Zinburger, and can't stop talking about it, on the website or otherwise. Not to sound like a broken record, but I recently moved back to the Hack from Cedar Grove, and never went to Zinburger despite riding by it every single day for 18 months. Boo me.

the best burger ever was @ a now closed place in PA . Their "Lakehouse" burger beat anything I have ever had (before or since) as for Hackettstown I must say Marley's was good.

sadbear sadbear
Oct '11

Gronsky's in High Bridge

Cr37 first welcome back. I had a burger at Marleys with pulled pork on top. It was fantastic. I heard blackstones had good burgers but haven't tried it yet.

ee0341
Oct '11

best burger thats availible right now is @ PT's in Hopatcong.

sadbear sadbear
Oct '11

Ruby Tuesday's is pretty durn good, lest we forget

s.l.m. s.l.m.
Oct '11

Can't beat Arthur's Tavern in Morris Plains. Huge, well priced, YUM! You can even get them To Go! And while you're there, have a steak!

LightSleeper
Oct '11

They also have burgers at Zaytun's. Feta and spinach burgers, regular burgers and a jalapeño burger!

muffin muffin
Oct '11

Marleys Gotham grill :)

HeatherS HeatherS
Oct '11

if you guys are ever by somerville, you absolutely have to try Broadway Burger. Its possibly the best burger place in the area. tasty burgers beats five guys or any other burger joint - hands down!! give it a try! youll fall in love. the owner is great as well. plus its not a corporate owned joint!!!

jfdagreat
Oct '11

right across from Hometown Hardware...the sandwich shop. They also have 4 sliders (burgers) with different toppings. You can get french fries included for somewhere around $5-6.00. Really delicious burgers and I love a good burger too. Love mine medium rare and they always get it right.

sassycats sassycats
Nov '11

I also enjoy the Ruby Tuesday's burgers - with a side of grilled green beans and white cheddar mashed potatoes! Yum!

Laurie Laurie
Nov '11

Ruby Tuesday best burger! Prime bacon cheddar!

Ruby girl Ruby girl
Nov '11

Ruby's prime burgers are actually very good (considering it's a franchise/chain.) The Salt burgers look good.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '11

Believe it or not...Nykuns in Great Meadows. FRESH beef each time. Call ahead and "have it your way!"

SlapTheCat SlapTheCat
Nov '11

The best burgers tonite at the Hackettstown American Legion on Willow Grove...$5.00 each.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Nov '11

You are so right, Predator...In fact they are serving them again tonight..Burgers, Steak Sandwiches, Perogies and something else..C'mon out to the Legion for a great burger and support your Vets as well!

joyful joyful
Nov '11

I was just thinking about the Legion myself and figuring that's what's for dinner tonight.

Hope to see you there, GC...we are going early (around 5 or so) as Marlboro Man's Driver wants to go to the football game later.

joyful joyful
Nov '11

Are burgers served until 8pm at the Legion? I work in NYC and can not get to the Legion until about 7:45/7:50pm. I am extremely interested in getting a burger there this Friday. Also, is it a sit-down experience, or can my wife swing by and do take out? Thanks!

CR37..your wife can definitely get take out anytime from 5 until 8. not only hamburgers,but perogies and steak sandwiches as well. Not sure if they serve beyond 8 o'clock or not. Will also check for you if this Friday night they have the hamburgers and not a full meal..

joyful joyful
Nov '11

CR37...this Friday night is hamburgers..served from 5 to 8. Takeout on either hamburgers or the Legion meals is 5 to 8 as well.

joyful joyful
Nov '11

Thank you very much. See you tomorrow!

Pastimes Grill on Main Street in Rockaway. Columbian Burger. Bacon cheeseburger with the BEST sauce I have ever had. It is to die for.... No, I mean it is to die for, you know, bacon, cheese, HUGE burger, rich sauce..... Man, are they good.

Nice folks too.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '11

I love to have a burger from the Washington Diner. It is a Big Burger and a great deal at around $4.00( ask for coleslaw and a pickle on the side) Always tasty!!!!

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Nov '11

Impromptu we should gather for dinner tomorrow, maybe some of the HH gang wants to join in. I know it's going to be a long day for me tomorrow, and I'm not going to want to make food. And I won't be around for Sunday.

GC: At the Legion? What time?

We always are there 5 or soon after they start serving, Cbel. That might be too early for the rest of the HLers but we stay a while after so would still get to see you. GC: Please let me know if you are going to the Legion tomorrow..I have a present for you and I will bring it along.

joyful joyful
Nov '11

joyful/cbel - I probably can make it, but I won't know what time until probably midday tomorrow.

Sounds good, GC..I will bring along the item I mentioned to you and if you are there..fine but if not....well, we will surely miss you!! Will wish you a Happy Thanksgiving now...just in case.

joyful joyful
Nov '11

Mohawk House in Sparta - sweet potato fries are excellent too. Best beer menu in northwest NJ to boot (sorry Salt! Big fan of theirs too though :)

cjc21 cjc21
Nov '11

@CR37

We had a great burgers and the coldest beer at Pub 517 last weekend. Perfect
roll and fries were done just right! You've probably tried it by now but if you haven't
give them a try.

townies townies
Nov '11

Would just like to say thank you to the folks who helped me get my first meal at the Legion. My train was a few minutes later than normal, and I ended up getting there at about 7:50. There were no burgers left, but the staff was more than accommodating and made me a sloppy joe with chips, pickle, and a piece of cake. I will be writing my update for my website as soon as I press send on this post. I recommend anyone reading this make a point to get to the Legion for dinner on Friday in the near future.

Sorry we missed you CR37..but glad you stopped. You should visit the Legion when they have their dinners....really good and very reasonable...Great folks and you are supporting our vets.

joyful joyful
Nov '11

CR37 - One tip for the Legion is to call the phone number ahead of time to place a take out order. The number is always on the sign out front. It would be perfect for you to call just before the train leaves so you can time it. If I had known they were going to run out I would have put aside mine for you. It was such a crazy day for me and I had eaten lunch so late that I took mine to go for later.

And yes, that is a wonderful person you dealt with, who now has got my name down pat. ;-)

joyful - My brother already thanks you even if the package didn't arrive there yet. Plus, don't forget Sweats for Vets. http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/348843

CR37 don't know if you have had time to test any burgers lately, with your new little cutie pie, but White Manna in Hackensack has great "sliders". Family comes back to NJ from as far as Beverly Hills, CA and makes it a point to stop and get their fix. White Manna (Hackensack) and White Mana (Jersey City) were featured on Food Feuds on the Food Network, the one in Hackensack won. Its just a little divey place, (guess this is why it was on Diners Drive Ins and Dives too) but sooo good.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '12

Enzo's Pasta Grill in Hackettstown...several types, big and juicy.

Onlychild Onlychild
Jun '12

For a great burger, not frozen meat, but fresh meat and flame broiled, the C&L Deli has a good one, and not just a plain Burger Bun they use a better one. Always a burger special everyday too.

easy going guy
Jun '12

Re: Best Burger in and around HTown

Growing up as a kid I can remember my Grandparents would take me to Tippy's for char grilled hamburgers in Jersey City on Kennedy Blvd. Yummy...sadly it's looong gone now.

Sheridians lodge on limcrest road in andover, Great burger!

Piggys deli has an awsome cheeseburger. Nice size, very fresh and done perfectly

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Jun '12

J. P. Kelly's hands down. Juicy, tasty, big and cooked perfectly.

I second J.P.'s they are the best. They have a garden burger special sometimes that is awesome. Burger, Ham (thick cut), Bacon, Cheddar, American, L,T,O. I’m not quite sure why it’s the garden burger, maybe because it has nice lettuce on it not iceberg. Anyway it’s awesome.

TheMadScientist TheMadScientist
Jun '12

salt in byram is pretty good

beach comber beach comber
Jun '12

Try the Blairstown Inn "Innburger" , soooooo good!
Also the "Broadway burger" at the Broadway Pub in Jim Thorpe , PA....ROAD TRIP!!!!!!

mesh...we've had the burgers at the Broadway Pub in Jim Thorpe and I forgot how great they were!!!

Jules Jules
Jun '12

Oh I don't know how I ever missed this thread. I love burgers. I always said I want to have a tv show and travel the country in search of the best burger. There are 3 places that I think have the best burgers so far. Not in any specific order.....

Jefferson House on Lake Hopatcong. Their bacon cheddar burger is great along with sitting at the tiki bar outside on the lake.

Alaska Pete's just off the Marshalls Creek exit off 80. Nice big and juicy burger.... of course topped with bacon for me. LOL

And the best IMO, but a chain joint, Fuddruckers. The 1lb bacon bacon bacon burger. I worked my way up to that baby and finally conquered it. It was bigger than my head around, but none the less no match for my burger loving self. LOL

PS, how would one become one of your raters?

SeeintheReality SeeintheReality
Jun '12

Salt in Byram is about the best food around. I have to say that I've not had their burger, but I'd be surprised if they weren't outstanding.

Gadfly Gadfly
Jun '12

There's a new contendah in the Battle for Best Burger... the All-American Breakfast Burger at Emeril's BAM restaurant at the Sands casino.

A 1/2 pound of ground chuck topped with bacon, fried onions, hash browns, cheddar cheese and a fried egg... served on an onion roll with chipotle mayo. Make an appointment with your cardiologist and grab an All-American Breakfast Burger on your way home.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '13

I agree, JP's has an awesome burger

kimberlysea kimberlysea
Jan '13

Don's Burgers in Morristown is pretty good. Good selection.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '13

ianimal, is that a fourth Emeril's restaurant at Sands? Or the Emeril's burger place? I think the burgers at the burger place are awesome.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '13

Yeah, that's the burger place, Tracy... BAM = Burgers and More.

BTW, the All-American Breakfast Burger is the January burger of the month there; it's not a permanent menu item. So, you've only got a week and a half left if you want to try it.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '13

Sorry, I spaced on what the actual name of the burger place was.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '13

Chilis burger is bangin!!!!!!

Painkiller
Jan '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.