Sweats for Vets

I wanted to share some information about a special program being coordinated by some local schools. Allamuchy and Great Meadows are collecting donations for Sweats for Vets, a drive that aims to provide new sweat pants, sweatshirts, socks, underwear, and other items for veterans in the state's nursing homes and VA hospitals. Items like toothbrushes, toothpaste, shower gel, deodorant, denture cleanser, playing cards, crossword puzzle & Sudoku books are also being collected. Material donations are requested, but checks are also accepted...made out to the Knights of Columbus (with Sweats for Vets in the memo line). The statement made is that a $7 donation will provide a pair of sweats for a needy veteran.

Donations are being collected at the local schools during business hours through November 8. I wanted to pass this on in case any of you are able to assist our kids as they help our heroes. If you can't help, please just keep the veterans in your thoughts...as we near Veterans Day & every day. Thanks.

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
Oct '11

Nice post, Mom of.

Can you please tell me where the closest either nursing home for vets or VA is to Hackettstown? I would love to bring our young German Shepherd puppy. She is going for her registered therapy dog cert.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '11

I know there's a VA in Lyons & one in Menlo Park...not sure about other nursing homes specifically for vets, but I would imagine there are many in most facilities. Thanks, Rebecka.

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
Oct '11

Rebacka - Lyons is near Liberty Corners/Bernardsville and is the closest, you see the signs for it off the highway. A guy that works for me is involved in the KofC (former grand poobah) and gets wheelchairs and other things to be used there. I'm sure that can be set up.

In addition, CBGB and I recently exchanged our company's apparel. It just so happens I got a very nice sweatshirt out of the deal and even though it's been worn all of twice, I'm going to donate it to this project. Not having kids let alone ones in either Allamuchy or Great Meadows districts, I'm not sure exactly where I need to send it. Feel free to contact me off line or I'll find out what to do from my KofC contact.

You can also donate clothing/toiletries to Operation Chillout which is an interfaith coalition of volunteers who work with homeless veterans in Northern NJ. http://operationchillout.org/. The group works out of St. Lukes in Long Valley and puts together backpacks with clothing and toiletries for distribution to veterans who have no homes. If you are interested in helping out please contact Deacon Ray.

BLD2
Oct '11

We've all had so many things to think about recently, but I just wanted to bump this up a bit in case anyone is interested in helping out. Thanks.

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
Nov '11

Rebecka - Pet therapy is an activity at the Lyons VA hospital. I suggest you contact Mary Beth at Voluntary Services who can give you all the details. She can be reached at 908-604-5814.

Volunteers are always needed at Lyons VA, East Orange VA Hospital, Veterans Memorial Home in Paramus, Veterans Memorial Home in Menlo Park & Veterans Memorial Home in Vineland. Obviously Lyons is the closest facility for the Greater Hackettstown area however if you have friends or family in other areas, pass it along.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.