Stanhope House getting the wrecking ball?

This would be a goddamned shame...

https://www.njherald.com/story/news/local/2024/05/13/demolish-the-stanhope-house-town-will-vote-on-famed-blues-clubs-fate/73616095007/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1Y82Z6eRx0AxcavfyOTZVfKNSiiHenCNijHxCIhyh5XVOY5dai0c8f0s8_aem_AfuCRDtrSJLXLFjbaG8YRLymTfkvCZ6SYM2jK0OnNx8WdhfPpnOzYumT2JBqgiGzvB0e0f2py60Pq7xenN6dqBmI

ianimal ianimal
May 14th

I agree it would be a terrible shame. I have been following this closely for quite some time, and it seems an almost certainty. As I often state, nothing is forever...

I was born and raised in Stanhope and recall riding my bicycle there numerous times when I was 10-12-14 years old and sitting right outside at that corner door during shows. That was where the drummer usually set up and as it was always hot in there during shows, the door was often open. It was very exciting watching those various bands. That was what in part led me to become a drummer I suppose. I've been there too many times to count to say the least. A legendary venue...

I met Gerry there at a Maria Muuldaur show. So many great memories so many great bands

Robert Robert
May 15th

Bill Osa from Osa electronics on Main Street in Hackettstown had one of the pinball machines that used to be in the bar that I was able to buy. Great Memorabilia !

rob the roofer rob the roofer
May 15th

It appears the Stanhope council voted last night not to allow the property to be rezoned. A win for now.

"You all may be interested to know, The Stanhope Council voted NOT to rezone the Stanhope House property at a meeting last night. This doesn’t keep the owner from bulldozing it, but if he does, the property cannot be used for an apartment building. It’s a small victory and we can only hope he sells to someone who believes in it."

What does the owner want for it

Michigan Michigan
May 15th

Good news... thanks, Greg. I was wondering what the hell a 5-story apartment building would look like in its place, and I still can't process it. You'd probably be able to see it from your (not your...) porch in Netcong, lol

ianimal ianimal
May 15th

Not sure why it can't seem to make it as a bar/live music venue, lots of national acts have played there (and still do)... it's a musical landmark!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May 15th

If it were in Morristown, guaranteed it would thrive... but Stanhope isn't exactly an urban center with a high population density. People go to see the national acts when they come, but what about the other 45 weeks of the year?

ianimal ianimal
May 15th

True enough, but then how has it survived all these years? It was a place many people frequented. Maybe it's not enough of a "restaurant" to attract people anymore? But was it ever? Like was it ever a "dinner and music" place or was it always a "bar that serves greasy food with live music" place?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May 15th

JR, I'm not sure of the reality, because I don't get out much these years... but on the rare occasion when I go to see a band, the crowds seem predominantly in their 40s and 50s. And it's not like I'm going to see bands from the 70s and 80s.

Plus the paradigm of the music business has changed so much that I don't even know if high school kids aspire to be rock stars anymore.

ianimal ianimal
May 15th

Great news . Let’s hope someone does something to fix it up

Being next to the police station doesn't help.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Stanhope House getting the wrecking ball?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.