Small Dog Found

Small Dog Found

Small dog found in the area of Hastings Square around March 24, 2011.

If this is your dog please contact Animal Control at 908-813-3832

Dog Found Dog Found
Mar '11

I don't know who this dog belongs to but i've had him run up to me and my dogs while i've been outside walking. He is usually with a group of kids who play basketball and is always running loose. The owner does live in Hasting sq. If i see the kids outside i will mention it to them. I don't know who or what unit the dog is from.

sunflower 2 sunflower 2
Mar '11

OOHHH yes.........he lives on Edinborough Ct.....they always let me go outside by himself...very sad. I would guess they want him back.....I thought it was the house whose front door is directly across from # 26 Delbarton's front door.......I can check tonight and let you know?? where is the dog? is he at the pound? how long will they hold him?

Hastings Resident
Mar '11

Thanks for the information. If any one has contact with the owner and could let them know their dog is found, that would be great. He is a very sweet little dog who is missing his family. He was impounded by animal control and will be held for 2 weeks. If the owner is not found within that time, he will be placed for adoption.

Dog Found Dog Found
Mar '11

I really question how much the family cares about him if they haven't even looked for him............there are no signs in Hastings (the easiest thing to do) or one call to the police or animal control would locate him.......he's been picked up before so I am sure they know who to call. I think he would be better off with a family that actually cared about him. Over the summer he was out loose all the time..........barking and circling his house............they just left him out and went out for who knows how long. If I didnt have 2, I would take him in a heartbeat.

Hasting Resident
Mar '11

I would take him too. He is adorable and deserves to be loved and cherished...Our family would love to adopt him...

reedfamily reedfamily
Mar '11

I'm pretty sure this dog is the subject of this post I wrote back in September.

Just want to remind everyone how important a collar and tags on your pup is. I was walking Lucky this morning and I came across a wandering little dog with no owner and no collar. I saw it cross the street (not busy, but a street with cars, nonetheless) and it came over to me. I cautiously let Lucky and mystery dog say hello, because I didn't know if he/she was friendly. I didn't know what to do so I waited there with him/her for a couple minutes until I finally saw a man approaching from the vicinity of where the dog came, with no particular sense of urgency. He had another dog with him on the leash. Eventually the dog went back to him, and I called out to him to ask if he/she was his dog. He chuckled and said yeah, that he was walking himself. Real nice. I could have very easily, if I wanted to, picked up that dog and taken off with it. Or it could have been hit by a car, bitten another dog, or been bitten. I understand that things happen, but with just a little common sense, I think we'll have fewer of these "missing pets" posts.

Tracy
Sep '10

Tracy Tracy
Mar '11

reedfamily~
I reallly doubt the owner is going to claim him......if you are interested, I would call animal control and let them know. Will probably have to wait the 2 weeks ......good luck. He does deserve better than he has had........very sad that he would be left outside loose..........barking to get in his house. My husband went knocking on doors to find the owner over the summer........her response was 'oh I was just going to go look for him'.....he had been out for hours :o(

Hasting Resident
Mar '11

So sad. That dog looks really cute. :(

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '11

yes-Calico, so sad. My neighbors are the same way, worse even and they should not have any animals.

4paws 4paws
Mar '11

I agree with Hasting resident. I see this little dog loose all the time but don't know what unit he is from. I've seen him out by himself as late as 11pm. Clearly the owner is aware there dog is missing and yet there is no signs in complex looking for him. I think he would be better off with a caring family otherwise the little dog is going to get hit by a car. If they claim the dog he will be running loose again. He is really an adorable little dog.

sunflower 2 sunflower 2
Mar '11

"He was impounded by animal control and will be held for 2 weeks."

Why would the animal be impounded for 2 weeks? Like what would happen if Salem or Maddie accidentally got out and animal control got called would I have to live without Salem and Maddie for 2 weeks?

I mean I obviously do every thing I can to ensure they never get lost but things could happen. A tree can call on the fence and they could get out, leashes can break, and other things.

Just curious

Nosila Nosila
Mar '11

Nosila, they're not holding the dog captive. Two weeks is the maximum time they will hold the dog before turning over to a shelter. The owners can go claim their dog at any time.

Nosila - You could claim Salem or Maddie immediately as their owner. Animal control has to hold an unclaimed do for two weeks before allowing it to be adopted. Therefore, the owner has time to claim it. If they don't, the animal is free to be adopted.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '11

Ha Ha Calico....I went and re-read the thread and I just read it incorrectly

Man I started to panic....Well we all know my dogs wouldn't be sitting with animal control for 2 weeks waiting for me to reclaim them.

Nosila Nosila
Mar '11

I left a message with animal control and with Happy Trails that our family is very interested in adopting this precious dog.. If the family does reclaim him I hope that they will be told in some way that their dog can no longer run free..Does Hackettstown have leash laws in effect?

reedfamily reedfamily
Mar '11

Wonderful, reedfamily! Please keep us posted.

Hastings Square is Washington Township, Long Valley--Morris County.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '11

Oh and yes, our Homeowner's Association prohibits animals from running loose. Apparently people need to be TOLD this after taking an animal into their homes.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '11

I am very happy reedfamily! IF the owners get this dog back (which I doubt....that would involve some effort) AND I see him wandering again.......i will personally get him for you, reedfamily! LOL Even animal control doesn't think the owners will claim him.........and if your dog was picked up by animal control in the past..........would that not be the first place you would call?? The do not want him back.........he is lucky he hasn't gotten hit by a car. Yes, the 2 weeks is just so the owners have time to claim him.........they could have gotten him back that day IF they called. tomorrow is one week..........next Thursday will be 2.

Hasting Resident Hasting Resident
Mar '11

one more thing........they have been told not to let their dog run free........they just don't listen/care I guess. The police even came here over the summer. boggles the mind how some people act.........

Mar '11

I hope The Reed Family and this adorable dog are able to get together. It breaks my heart to think of this little guy outside all the time, running up to strangers, looking for someone to show him some much deserved love :)

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Mar '11

Ah Reedfamily PLEASEEEE keep us updated on what happens! Hes adorable..and looks like a sweet mutt (which are the BEST kind) This baby deserves better!

Yes......please keep us posted reedfamily........did you ever get a call back.......I am really hoping the owner didn't claim him. I saw today that the house is for sale.

Apr '11

Hey everyone...We did hear right back from Happy Tails yesterday and he said that it would be a few more days, and then we will be able to meet the dog...We are so excited to see him especially my 16 and 13 yr. olds...thank you for your encouragement and please keep us in your thoughts...

reedfamily reedfamily
Apr '11

That is really wonderful news. He is the cutest little dog and so easy going.
Best of luck to you!!

sunflower 2 sunflower 2
Apr '11

Good luck reedfamily!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

I wish that dog could know how lucky he's going to be very soon.

reedfamily- I am very happy to hear that you are interested in this little guy! At this point, it is highly unlikely that the owner will claim him. He is really a wonderful, easy going, well behaved little dog and would make an excellent addition to your family I am sure! Just a few more days and you will be able to meet him. In the meantime, he is in good hands with us at Happy Tails. Thanks everyone for your interest and compassion.

Dog Found Dog Found
Apr '11

Thank you Happy Tails...I have only heard great things about You, and am so very appreciative that this special little dog is in the safety of your hands...

reedfamily reedfamily
Apr '11

any news reedfamily? :o) I am trying to patiently wait to hear......LOL

Hastings Resident Hastings Resident
Apr '11

Yes, I can't wait to get an update either

Nosila Nosila
Apr '11

I wanna know whats going onnnnnnnnnn:) :)

I was thinking about this little guy last night when I was walking my dog in our community. It makes me so sad to think that these people don't/didn't care enough about their pet to keep it safe. By now they have to be wondering, if they don't already know, what happened to their dog, and to just give up on him is heart breaking. I guess it's just hard for me to think of a fellow dog owner that doesn't love their animal as much as I love mine.

Reed Family, I hope you have a happy ending to this story and I hope little tan doggy does too.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '11

reedfamily - We are anxiously awaiting an update. Thanks.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

Hey everyone...We heard from Happy Tails and are setting up and appt. to meet him..Tracy I feel the same way that you do...I can only imagine what he has been through..and the rejection that he has felt..But, we are so looking forward to loving him and giving him everything that he needs, and he will never be rejected or neglected again...We will let you all know what happens after we meet him...We are so EXCITED!!!

reedfamily reedfamily
Apr '11

reedfamily: Can't wait to see pictures! Good luck to you and your adoptee.

Good luck.

riverat
Apr '11

How wonderful.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '11

Fantastic! Fingers crossed :)

Apr '11

Re: Small Dog Found

Reedfamily: Even though he has been neglected and abandoned by his family, you would never know it! He is happy-go-lucky and his only worry is, who is going to throw the tennis ball next? Can't wait for you to meet him, I have no doubt you will fall in love with him instantly!

Dog Found Dog Found
Apr '11

He is sooooooooooo cute!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

Here is another picture, he loves to play fetch!

Dog Found Dog Found
Apr '11

OMG the doggy is so adorable. Love the pic of him looking at the tennis ball.

It would be great if someone could find out his original name, so he could be called by that.

He looks like such a sweet boy. Good luck, Reed Family!

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '11

Reed Family - I've got my fingers crossed that you can adopt this cutie!!! I know he will be loved. Can't wait to hear how your meet with him went.

Joanie Joanie
Apr '11

Rebecka - You should do a photo session with this cute pup!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

his name is Rusty :o) I meant to post that for the reedfamily earlier. I also learned that he was kept in the garage! :o( Love the pictures of him with the ball......a few times I tried to get close to him when he was loose but could not catch him......he was so afraid and desperate to get in his house (or garage)....very sad then......so happy his life is about to change for the better!

Apr '11

We get to meet Rusty tomorrow morning and we are so excited...Thank you so very much Hastings Resident for giving us his name...this is so important to us but more so for him...If we were going to name him the name Doggie was what we were thinking bc we thought maybe that would be familiar to him..I think we are going to have a hard time sleeping tonight waiting to meet him tomorrow morning..I am so joyful that I joined this forum bc it opened the door for a wonderful blessing for our family, and you have all been awesome in your support and encouragement..thank you so very much..

reedfamily reedfamily
Apr '11

In the garage?!! The poor guy. :(

reedfamily - So excited for you. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

Reedfamily,
Best of luck with your new dog. You are really kind hearted people. It's nice to know this little guy will finally have a loving home and be safe.

sunflower 2 sunflower 2
Apr '11

it will be interesting to hear if he actually knows his name.......not sure how long his previous owner had him....and being kept in the garage......how much interaction could he have had?? Keep us posted.......so happy for you!

Apr '11

Loving this thread -- can't wait to hear how it turns out for Rusty and the reedfamily. Sure hope that Rusty's new full name is Rusty Reed! :o)

Looking for great news and a happy ending -- like the Murray story, only shorter, lol! 8)

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town
Apr '11

Rusty is now in fact Rusty Reed. He went home with his new family this morning :-)

Dog Found Dog Found
Apr '11

That is absolutely fantastic news!!!! Thanks, Dog Found, for helping this little doggie find a new family. Good luck, reedfamily, with Rusty Reed!

And here, my friends, is the beauty of Hackettstown Life! Huzzah!

Apr '11

Agreed Hopeful!

suzique suzique
Apr '11

Yay! reedfamily, please post pics soon. I'm so happy for Rusty and his new family.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

He is Home...We got our Rusty...Have been playing ball with him and going for many walks...He is absolutely adorable and keeps following my daughter everywhere she goes in the house..So very happy and grateful...Thank you so very much!!

reedfamily reedfamily
Apr '11

More pics for you guys to see :)

reedfamily reedfamily
Apr '11

Adorable pics, reedfamily! Thanks for posting and congratulations on being there for Rusty!

Apr '11

Rusty looks so happy with the Reeds!!! Congrats to your new addition.

Joanie Joanie
Apr '11

BTW, looking at these pictures I find myself wondering, What kind of dog is Rusty? I presume he's a mix of some kind -- any ideas? Or maybe he's a purebred of something that I don't know...? Just wondering!

Apr '11

Happy, happy. Joy, Joy.
Happy, happy. Joy, Joy.

Do ya wanna play, Rusty? Do ya, do ya, do ya??
I can play chase, and I can play tag, and I can play pounce on the bug, and I can play...
Do ya wanna play? Do ya, do ya, do ya??

My brother is kind of a stick in the mud.
Do ya wanna play? Do ya, do ya, do ya??

Sugar Sugar
Apr '11

Yay, So exciting....Awesome NEWS!!! It made my week

Nosila Nosila
Apr '11

Rusty looked so sad in the first picture and now look at him! What a day!

Firefly Firefly
Apr '11

You're right Firefly. Looks like Rusty is smiling in his new pics. Congratulations Reed family!!! What a happy ending for all.

It looks like little Rusty found his Heaven on Earth. Here's to you, Reed family!!

What a wonderful story and what a wonderful family....the Reed family. The " Man Upstairs" works in mysterious ways sometimes. Rusty Reed is a lucky little dog and he knows it!

joyful joyful
Apr '11

Congratulations!!!

sunflower 2 sunflower 2
Apr '11

Another happy HL ending. Gotta love it!

Yay Rusty and Reed Family!! Congrats!

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '11

YAY, so happy for your family & the lucky furry family member! :) Word of advice (having worked for animal control before) - please make sure that you get a signed adoption contract stating that he is yours and he was held for the appropriate amount of time by the town for reclaiming. Also, get him microchipped. These two steps are the only way which you can prove to the old owner, should they ever locate you and claim that you stole him, that he is indeed yours. Again, thanks for taking him in and keep everyone updated!!

Someone11
Apr '11

Rusty Reed! I love it! he looks so happy.........never saw him look happy before........definite happy ending!

Apr '11

Rusty and my daughter had a very busy day together... He is the most sweetest and special dog.. It feels as if he has always been with us..And he comes when you call his name...Right now they are both passed out on the couch sleeping...He is sleeping right between her feet...My heart melted...We are so blessed to have him...Life is good..Sweet dreams all...

reedfamily reedfamily
Apr '11

Great advice, Someone11, and thanks for the update, reedfamily! What a great day on Hackettstown Life! 8-)

Apr '11

so happy for the Reed family, old and new members :)

Apr '11

Nice story. I wish you all the best, Reed Family. Nice to see some good things that come out of this forum.

this is a great story.

i have so much respect and admiration for the reed family right now, i could just bust.

nice job.

(and i needed an uplifting story today)

thanks!

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '11

Reed Family - how's little Rusty? I'm sure we'd all love an update to this heartwarming story!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '11

And a picture! :-D

Rebecka Rebecka
May '11

Yes.....UPDATE!! UPDATE!! Pretty please. :)

Calico696 Calico696
May '11

What a great ending to this story. For those that asked, it looks to me like Rusty is a Australian Terrier mix (the 'ruff' around his collar and neck is typical of that breed.) Can't tell by the photos but if his coat is real hard that is an indication of terrier also. Best of luck to the Reeds with their new addition.

Jackie Jackie
May '11

I see Carin Terrier x, not Australian :)

Someone111
May '11

Still wondering what the latest on Rusty is......

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

I would love to know too

Nosila Nosila
Aug '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.