General Photography - Past and Present

General Photography - Past and Present

NO rules except please include at least one photo of your pet while on vacation locally.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

I love my pets, but I go on vacation to get a break! haha. I have none to share, but can't wait to see what you all post :)

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jan '11

Re: General Photography - Past and Present

The last one was in Greece - this one is in Stroudsburg, PA

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Gettysburg on a foggy.....or maybe smokey am.

John C John C
Jan '11

And Tom snoozing while I was in Gettysburg taking the other Pic!

John C John C
Jan '11

and of course....we can tell from this pic that it wasn't the "kitty that lives in the corner" that snapped the picture of Tom!

John C John C
Jan '11

Firefly,
I would love to post pictures on this thread, but I'm scared after the last time. I have to study the rules, after all, no rules, is a rule.

THE MAN THE MAN
Jan '11

Please do THE MAN I enjoy your eye for photography.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Great pic of Gettysburg! Been there for sunrise at that spot ... very haunting!

sandy t sandy t
Jan '11

I'ts hard to find a good woman who listen's. I told her not to feed the chicken's till she finished the wash.

THE MAN THE MAN
Jan '11

Taken in the Berkshires Oct -2010

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Louisiana Bayou. Alligators love marshmallows.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

Another shot on the Bayou.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

Annecy, France

Dijon Market.

Calico - but alligators think *everything* is a marshmallow... ;-)

Firefly - St Luke's, no?

Villa - San Lucar, Spain

And to comply with the pets -

Owner of Villa - San Lucar, Spain

From the top of Pikes Peak.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

Need vacation, immediately. Sigh. Great pics everyone.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '11

GC your photo of Annecy, France is so charming. I want to just drink it in. Is St Lukes in reference to the tree photo? I think it was somewhere between North Adams and Lenox.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Gc Never mind I see now you are talking about the church photo...Is it?

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Italian engineering at its finest...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '11

Italian cuisine at its finest... Bistecca alla Fiorentina, al sangue:

ianimal ianimal
Jan '11

Statakort!

maddog620 maddog620
Jan '11

Firefly - Yes, the church. If knew exactly which section of Main that was, I would say for sure. But I believe it's St Luke's, the Catholic church at 9th & Main. Annecy was a bit misty that day which is what gives it that quality. It's just down the mountain from Chamonix and next to a lake, so it's like that.

ian - I'd call that extra rare. It might be too dark on the outside to be tartar, but that's got to be close.

May 17th, Norwegian Independence Day parade of children in traditional costumes. Bergen, Norway.

"Local Talent" at SeanachĂ­ Pub - Dungarven, County Waterford, Ireland

Our travel guide called ahead to this place because it's out in the countryside and was afraid it wasn't going to be open, or wasn't ready to handle a group. Well it seems it gave them enough time to call out the local musicians. The young guy on the accordion was dynamite.

That picture is on my bucket list GC....( maybe w/o the tour guide)

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Firefly - It was the very, very first one I did. So there was a reason for that. In some ways it's also easier that way - trains aren't a good option, car rentals over there are expensive, automatics are hard to find, they drive on the other side, the roads are sometimes so narrow to be one way when you have to go backwards 5 miles, it's almost always one way... Even if the road is a fairly cut and dry route.

Out of all the places in the world, bar none, this is my most favorite spot. Down by the wharf, not far from the hot dog stand, where the wind whips around the smoky bay at 40 mph...

Skolpa, near Islandsbanki - Reikjavik, Iceland

this is the Thieves Market...in North Carolina...i got this while on vacation

oldman oldman
Jan '11

John C, love the Gettysburg picture. Reminds me of one of my favorite movies "Remember the Titans"!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jan '11

Beach

THE MAN THE MAN
Jan '11

beach or down d shore tuday

THE MAN THE MAN
Jan '11

The Man The beach picture is great.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

The El Yunque rainforest, Puerto Rico...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '11

The frozen Barnaget Bay.

THE MAN THE MAN
Jan '11

Bar Harbor Maine

Denis Denis
Jan '11

WoW! Amazing picture Ianimal..... Woulda loved to have been there in person! ANother WoW from me...

CARNi CARNi
Jan '11

I too love waterfalls. This one is on the way to Hunter Mountain in NY and well worth the 1/2 mile straight uphill to get to.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

One of my favorites.....mmmmm

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

This one is even better, since the beer and pretzels were free :)

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

Calico you make me laugh! You know I am going to need a beer this weekend! Been dealing with some much BS!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jan '11

Firefly - I think I've been there. Have done lots of hikes in that area growing up. Including practically straight up Hunter.

If you like waterfalls, then you need to make a pilgrimage to Iceland. The island interior gets lifted up every so often, geologically speaking. It leaves a steep shelf around the island edge and melting glacier water means waterfalls for miles and miles. They also have the "reverse" waterfall in Iceland - otherwise known as Geysir. ;-)

This one isn't the largest, but one of the really fun ones you can walk behind. With the high winds, if you sat at the picnic table in the foreground, you could still feel the spray.

Mommyof3 - Feel like a juggling act?? This guy was on stilts and juggling fire.

Leidseplein, Amsterdam.

Hang in there.

GC Iceland sounds cold. Have any pictures of Bora Bora becuase that really is on my bucket list.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

If you believe in this stuff.....

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

firefly - Iceland *sounds* cold from the name but really isn't. What people think of when they hear Iceland is actually Greenland - all icebergs and snow. Iceland is on the jet stream as well as an island with consistent climate, and is all geothermal because of the volcanic activity. So it's much more moderate than people realize. It's still far north - he upper part of the island is just at the arctic circle. But even of the temps usually are only 60-70 in the summer, they're usually only 30-40 in the winter.

Actually never been to Bora Bora - that's French Polynesia and only stopped in Papeete on Tahiti as an airline layover. Good news is they used to have to put you up in the hotel over night for a free stay because they couldn't refuel until the next day. Bad news is the Gendearmes were nasty as could be herding you back and forth from the airport.

Unfortunately almost all the good Fiji/Tonga/Samoa pictures from that era are slides since it's before the digital age. I have my own B&W stuff but a lot of that is negatives that haven't been printed. I did manage to grab this from the very first set of pictures I ever took there during the trip from San Francisco to Hawaii to Fiji. This is the view of where we lived - it's basically old officers quarters on a naval air base turned into the University. The quality isn't so good, but hopefully all the palm trees feel a little bit warmer than the Hackettspatch today.

FWIW - Iceland is an amazing place to visit, esp. if you love to witness geological phenomena (icebergs, geysers, boiling earth) up close and in person. It's a cheap trip (cheaper than Europe), the Icelanders are amazingly cosmopolitan, and it's a quick getaway.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

From recent trip to NM.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

LOL GC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jan '11

This is one of my favorite pictures from when I went on my first cruise. We were in Honduras this day.

nosila nosila
Jan '11

That's a great photo Nosila per usual.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Thanks Firefly....I want to get out to take more picture however I would like temps 40+ to do so :)

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Love the photo, Nosila. What effects did you apply to it? I notice a vignetting, but other than that? It somehow looks old. I like the effect, whatever it is!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Rebecka- All I did was the vignetting I didn't touch the color or anything. I wish I had the camera I have now then. I will have to see what other pictures I have from when we went.

nosila nosila
Jan '11

See Honduras looks very old but the van gives it away. I will prob never go back there but I can say I have been.

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Beautiful colors in that last one nosila...you really need to do something with this skill.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Thanks Firefly......one day I would love to do special events. Just not sure how to get it all started. I guess I will have to google :)

nosila nosila
Jan '11

One of my favorite rose shots - from a bouquet I gave my wife following the birth of one of our children.

Nosila - your photo of the dog looks just like my dog!

Hickory Dickory Dock Hickory Dickory Dock
Jan '11

Montauk, NY - My parents have a house nearby.

Kurt- That is a beautiful Picture

Hickory Dickory Dock- Yes, it does look like the dogs in the picture!!!

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Rich - Lighthouse vs. Prison. Prison vs. Lighthouse. Who can choose??? I hope your parents are very happy there. ;-)

Does this help folks looking for warmer climates? Some nice palm trees in a warm garden.

Alcazar, Seville

GC, I don't know of any prison in Montauk, unless you meant something else that went over my head.

Rich - look in the picture. While there's a light house in the foreground, the back ground looks just like a prison guard tower. And there's a fence around the place...

I seem to remember, maybe it's not quite Montauk, but there *is* a big county facility out there with a prison. When I lived in Suffolk Co. some 20 years ago, they needed to grab some records that were stored out there. So even if it's not what's in the picture, it sure seemed like a slow hanging curve ball... ;-)

Bell Rock in Sedona Arizona

Rich and GC-

Ironic you said that GC because the picture looks very similar to that of Execution Rock, a lighthouse off Long Island that was used during the Revolutionary War to bring people and chain them to the rocks at low tide and execute them that way. Very torturous and sinister landmark.

icicle icicle
Jan '11

Irish Coast Line

Denis Denis
Jan '11

What part Denis? I think I have a pic of the Cliffs of Moher around somewhere that looks something like that...

This was down around Dingle, my favorite place in Ireland. Cliffs of Moher are amazing too. When I visited there the wind was blowing so hard I could barley stand.

Denis Denis
Jan '11

Man, all these different photos make me want to get on a plane and go... anywhere.

Here is Chan Chich lodge, set amidst Mayan ruins in Belize.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Saigon - an amazing city. Full of vibrant young optimistic people.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Chan Chich lodge looks pretty inviting right about now!!

Denis Denis
Jan '11

"Here is Chan Chich lodge, set amidst Mayan ruins in Belize."

That's a beautiful picture, Rebecka.

collegeviewrider collegeviewrider
Jan '11

Red Door

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Firefly- That's really cool. I really like that design

I posted a full picture of the door on the other thread just now. Sorry I can't keep up with the rules and guidelines but I just enjoy sharing so I do! However, I don't think I always do in the correct place

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Double Trouble State Park off of GSP. Cranberry bogs harvested in the fall.

TheHazGuy TheHazGuy
Jan '11

Washington Monument, of course.

LVMomBoys LVMomBoys
Jan '11

Korean War Memorial, Washington DC. It was eerie....and one of my favorites on our visit to DC

LVMomBoys LVMomBoys
Jan '11

Lake Champlain from the Vermont side looking towards NY.

LVMomBoys LVMomBoys
Jan '11

Löwendenkmal (Lion Monument) - Lucerene, Switzerland

I don't know if the size of this comes through in the picture. You just turn a corner walking at the edge of town, and here is this huge wounded lion carved in the hill by a pond.

ESPN Zone - Las Vegas

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

Calico - From the bottom of the picture it looks like it's just "SPN Zone". Are you sure it's not DC? ;-)

LOL no it's definitely Vegas. I wonder what the life of those lights are. I mean....on all the time. ESPN Zone is a great place to watch games, just don't eat there. It's general chain nastiness.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

Photos are all great! If anyone is interested I think I'll start a separate post for some more paranormal photos and stuff.

John C John C
Jan '11

A shot of the Hoar frost that hit the area this AM.

ok I don't have a pet, but great pic nontheless. Look at this view.

SeeintheReality SeeintheReality
Feb '11

And this sign I found to be quite astonishing.

Feb '11

And being the highest public highway, at an elevation of 3009ft, I find it even more weird that it was now the trails in which we were snowmobiling on as they do not maintain it for winter traffic.

Feb '11

I want to do this....do you just rent snowmobiles or do you own them?

nosila nosila
Feb '11

Oh wow, that looks like a blast, Seein. I've spent quite a bit of time in NH (growing up, my family was originally from NH) and it's so beautiful. I can only imagine how pretty going through the mountains on a snowmobile must be.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '11

I rented them. This time. LOL =0)

Rebecka it is gorgeous. Like I cannot think of any other words to describe it. There are so many more photos. maybe i'll bring them to the next HL Happy hour. Ps careful what you post, you might get called a Jersey hater. LOL JK

Feb '11

I would so die to be in the White Mtns on a snowmobile right now. Done White Mtns and done snowmobile, but never together. My parents would never have let me do that at the age I was there. But then again my parents would never have let me do the snowmobile if they ever knew the whole story.

A neighbor down the street raced them at the town we used to live in NY. There was a horse track down where the local fairgrounds were and in the winter they raced snow mobiles on it. The neighbor a couple of times took me and the other neighbor who knew him out to a farm near the caves where you could run for miles and miles. He had a pair of retired racers in a barn and gave us instructions to get them out into the field then "punch it". My friend was not entirely reserved but at least he had the sense to run fast but safe. Me, I took it quite literally to mean full throttle and run 100% flat out. I took off so fast I left the normally unreserved friend in about a quarter mile of snow flurries.

My problem though was I was about 85 lbs at the time, and when I once tried to turn a bit quick because there was a thin spot, the back swung around. I knew enough to try to shift weight to stay up, but I didn't have nearly enough to keep it in line. I put my foot out and didn't go over, which I instantly realized could well have been a disaster by rights. When I came back around with the machine our host very casually mentioned as retired machines they had no insurance on them. And my veritable donuts combine with running up to a mogul and "punching it" to catch a bit of air was going to "break a ski one of these days". So I took it easy the next round and went back 90 MPH runs right after. In any case, had I still been living there the next year or two if they ran a "midget" race I had an offer to be sponsored in the winter festivities. While generally quiet, my friend dubbed me "the reckless terror" after that day. ;-)

My three robot children :o)

HA HA HA Rich I love this picture :)

nosila nosila
Feb '11

All these pictures are GREAT!!! Keep them comming!!!

sandy t sandy t
Feb '11

What my cat does best! A real professional!

John C John C
Feb '11

Hopefully right around the corner!

John C John C
Feb '11

Spanish horses in their finest for the Feria on a hot day in Jerez, Spain.

Ditto.

[slaps self for bad behavior]

Nice picture, fine looking horses, What breed are they ? they look to me like either Barb or Norman, they are definitaly not Mustangs ( to small) As a former breeder of fine horses, specializing in Arabians I can appreciate the good looking animals.

Thanks for the great picture.

THE MAN THE MAN
Feb '11

Guanacaste, Costa Rica.

I love this thread with all the amazing photos ~ Thanks!

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Feb '11

I fell in love with this puppy.....This is from when we went dog sledding yesterday

nosila nosila
Feb '11

Love the eyes

nosila nosila
Feb '11

Lovely Huskies (I think that's what they are?), Nosila.

Rich - your pic of your Robot Children is VERY cute.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '11

Great looking dogs Nosila!

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '11

John C, I was just thinking about the upcoming Spring Flowers thread. I saw the first signs of my tulips poking up yesterday!

Tracy Tracy
Feb '11

Wow, really Tracy??? I will have to check here but I think there is too much snow still for me to see them. I planted a whole bunch of bulbs in the fall I REALLY hope they come up

nosila nosila
Feb '11

I have a spot right near our front door that gets a lot of sun so the snow has all melted there and that's where some of my bulbs are.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '11

Under the boardwalk

THE MAN THE MAN
Mar '11

The Man,
Great Picture!

Meeeee Meeeee
Mar '11

Firefly,

White door

THE MAN THE MAN
Mar '11

The Man.....open door. Still nice

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

Roses!

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

Firefly. The rose photo is beautiful. This looks almost like my friends work in upstate New York. She does mostly photos of plants and flowers and has had many showings of her work around that area.

joyful joyful
Mar '11

Thank you so much joyful...Wouldn't it be fun to be able to do that. Where is upstate? I was born in Syracuse.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

No, not that far upstate. Middletown, New York . She shows her work many times at Orange County College. From what I have seen of your work..you are doing all right yourself. Think Arts off Main in Hackettstown has photography shows sometimes as well.

joyful joyful
Mar '11

From the archives

THE MAN THE MAN
Mar '11

WOW!!! That is one AMAZING photograph, The Man ~~~ What fabulous talent we have on this forum, it never ceases to amaze me. I'm so happy this thread was started and that you guys are so generous to share your amazing talents with us.

WOW!!! :D

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Mar '11

That's an awesome picture The MAN....Did you take this?

I can't wait for the weather to get better and go exploring....maybe I will go out this weekend

Thank you to Firefly I'm not addicted to doors....not only church doors but all doors and door knobs

Nosila Nosila
Mar '11

Farm on Rockport

Nosila Nosila
Mar '11

flower arrangement

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

Church on Church Rd off Naughright Rd.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

My goal for this week is to find more doors....and try not to just find church doors

Nosila Nosila
Apr '11

Here is another one from this fall

Nosila Nosila
Apr '11

Love them Nosila...

Firefly Firefly
Apr '11

A random flower popping up at the edge of my lawn.

Collegeviewrider Collegeviewrider
Apr '11

Looks like the same type of flower but a different spot.

Collegeviewrider Collegeviewrider
Apr '11

CVR -"Type of flower" = crocus. They are a spring bulb that is the very, very, very first thing to appear. They only last a couple of days. They're like robins, a serious sign of spring coming. Popular with the non-"Snow Bunny" set... ;-)

CVR is that hay I see still in your lawn from last fall? LOL Crocus it is......Love them as GC is correct a real sign of spring. They are pretty heart and a bulb flower. So someone had to plant it.

Christine Christine
Apr '11

Love my new camera

Nosila Nosila
Jun '11

Nosila, That bridge scene is beautiful!
What kind of camera did you get?

Spring Fever
Jun '11

Cape May a few weeks ago.

Happy Homemaker Happy Homemaker
Jun '11

Nosila, What AMAZING photos! I just adore the cow in front of the barn... just beautiful! Good for you taking full advantage of the new camera.

MelissaP MelissaP
Jun '11

This thread just keeps getting better and better ~ : )

LOVE the photos!

Thank you!!!

p.s. Nosila, we gotta talk! : ) I still need the pics of the girls and I - let me know when you're ready.

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Jun '11

Spring Fever- I actually just got the Canon 40D. I would have just kept the Canon Rebel I had but it's too consumer for an opportunity that was given to me

The bridge is at Stephen's State Park

Happy2bhere- I will send you an email from my new email my other email is way too flooded

Nosila Nosila
Jun '11

This was taken in the Rittenhouse section of Philadelphia.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.