Health insurance

Thinking of retiring.. will need to get a good insurance company that does not cost a fortune!
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

My friends have used this, not sure if it will suit your needs.
https://www.medishare.com/

bflat4u bflat4u
Jan '24

If you're not going on Medicare call the ACA and talk to an agent and explain your situation , what you can afford , etc ..

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/affordable-care-act/

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '24

Contact David Becker at Mid Atlantic Business Alliance.

https://www.midatlanticba.com/

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '24

I do have Medicare part 1… need the coverage for drs, etc.. this is so overwhelming!!
Thanks for the help!!

Jm, just be aware that you must have Medicare Part B before you can get any supplemental plan. I don't think you can get Heathcare.gov coverage if you have Medicare. Part B is now $171 deducted from your SS check every month. Supplementals go from free (Aetna and others) or up to a couple of hundred a month for ones that cover more if hospitalized for a long time, for lower copays or lower yearly deductible limits. Log in to Medicare.gov to see your options before you let an insurance salesman sell you something he gets a commission on.

Contact a reputable Medicare consultant. I spent a lot of time on the phone and she helped me wade thru all the options and got me signed up. And she didn’t charge anything

She knew every detail about Part A, part B, C and D. She also sent me comparison tables.

Local Gal Local Gal
Jan '24

I have traditional Medicare and supplemental plan G though United Healthcare . I went for a few years with no supplemental (called Medigap) plan then I incurred hospital costs from treatment for a diabetic foot infection and was very quickly a few thousand dollars in debt .

Medigap plans are listed on page 76 of the 2024 Medicare & You book . Medicare alone worked fine for awhile , but hospital costs quickly mount since that 20% not covered is usually a huge amount . It always gets me how the hospital sends a letter asking for donations after sticking you with a bill for thousands .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '24

BAM… if you had Medicare part A you should have not incurred any bills from the hospital…??

This company https://boomerbenefits.com/about-us/ is very helpful with the healthcare insurance decision making process. They can sign you up for the best products for your needs. Assuming that you are ready to sign up for Part B, they can assist you with that and also can direct you about a gap plan and a drug plan. They provide a free service should you have an issue with any insurance claims that have been processed incorrectly. That service isn’t offered through local brokers. Best of luck.

Darleen Darleen
Jan '24

I used a medical broker (DAVE SPIELMAN phone and text at: (203) 848-4479) because I was clueless! His name is Dave Spielman and he has been working in the space for abt 15 years; he is licensed in abt 40 states, including NJ. I just asked if it was okay for me to post. His services are FREE to clients. He is paid directly by the insurance companies, and the amount he is paid is generally the same no matter which insurance company he may recommend - so you truly get unbiased advice.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS about your coverage or want to talk in general about Medicare, his services are free to the client.
This is my second year with him - I will continue to contact him during the health care opening every year (Sept. thru Dec. 7) to be sure that I am getting the best coverage for ME, as everyone is different. This year, he went over my list of prescriptions and I changed just the RX plan.
I highly recommend him - he helped me A LOT because I did not know anything when we started! Give him a call - and he will be able to help you!

subaru subaru
Jan '24

BAM… if you had Medicare part A you should have not incurred any bills from the hospital…??

I had a 4 day hospital stay , six weeks of antibiotic infusion (41 days straight visiting the hospital infusion center) , an MRI , multiple tests , a home visiting nurse every 3 days to pack the wound , and finally an operation to remove a small bone in the foot so it could heal and ended up owing around 3K or so that traditional Medicare did not cover .

https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement/medicare/601489/7-things-medicare-doesnt-cover

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '24

If on standard medicare, I think it's about an 80/20 split where you pay the 20.

For supplementals, its' been awhile, but ..... the one they advertise most are "advantage plans." These plans were developed relatively recently for diverse needs but mostly to offer less payments, more services, than original medicare. IMO, you get what you pay for, so, might include out-of-network hits, local only -- no special travel coverage, etc...but may offer drugs, gym membership, could be bene's that advantage your lifestyle. You have to look. IMO, bottom line, if you are healthier, don't travel, like the extra bene's, could be for you. BUT --- if it looks like a deal, look deeper because I guarantee you get what you pay for. It may cost less, but there;s a reason. Works for many. If I was healthy and expected to continue, I would buy these probably. But I rack up some healthy doctor bills.

Original Medicare let's you travel, etc, without going off-net if you do IF you choose Plan G. There are other plans, by letter, not sure the differences, but G is the most popular. Then you can add supplemental insurance which is third party, like United Health Care (that also offers Advantage packages), and you can add a Part D (drugs) provider which may or may not be the same as your supplemental provider. Here, you can save some money if you look. Initially I have one company for supplemental, another for drugs, but now just United for both because the first guys jerked the price up for one drug I use.

Those are the big differences: original medicare OR medicare advantage.

try this: https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/12026-Understanding-Medicare-Advantage-Plans.pdf

Because I travel and don't need any special bene's, I use original Medicare, plus United Healthcare for supplemental and Part D, drugs. Been there for 3 years and still feel I am making money over what I paid being with AT&T, Lucent, etc. so I am not a good one to judge price.

Hope that helps, certainly call free consultation, take with a grain of salt. Their bookish answers may not fit your individual needs. Paid for guys if you really need it. Otherwise, first decision is Original Medicare/supplemental, OR Medicare Advantage. And then you can start picking third party suppliers, but remember, OMed you have to add Part D drug supplier which is probably (need to check) in every Medicare Advantage plan.

babbit babbit
Jan '24

The simplest satisfactory coverage (assuming you are Social Security & Medicare eligible) is:

Medicare A plus Medicare B (about $175/mo) and a third party Medicare C/D plan. Many are offered with no monthly premium as they use the Part B prrmium paid to them by Medicare. I use an Aetna plan and am well satisfied.

My United Healthcare drug plan went from 28 to 54 dollars a month . I switched to Wellcare which is 0 dollars a month . Filled the first generic script today for a cost of 0 dollars - so far so good . Of course Comcast raised the cable bill 17 dollars .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '24

97x

Weird, I have Medicare with UHealthcare for supplemental, plan G, and part D drugs which went from 109 per month to 106 per month. I do not pay much for drugs, unless brand/specialty.

But I came here from Express Scripts which was a similar premium, but took a needed brand drug and doubled it, which I caught by pure luck.

So, same company, different story, weird.

babbit babbit
Jan '24

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Health insurance
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.