Long Valley stone bridge closures starting about June 17

Major detours coming into effect:
https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/bridge-repairs-scheduled-summer-long-valley

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Feb '23

I sure hope I don't need to see my chiropractor, Genesis Chiropractic, this summer.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Feb '23

Where is that bridge located?

Seenit
Feb '23

Wow- that is going to be a huge mess for travelers.

And probably cost a fortune.

The article says this was caused by an auto crash?

How much could the driver's insurance possibly be paying towards this?

From the link:

A previous version of this article stated incorrectly that the construction was the result of a previous motor vehicle accident.

More details:
https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/restoration-historic-long-valley-bridge-planned-june

"The project is expected to take 72 calendar days to complete..."

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Apr '23

I travel to Bridgewater every day for work, this is going to put a major delay in my commute.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Apr '23

Just go up 46 mountain and make a right on Naughright Rd. - will take you over the mountain and at the light make a left and first right before West Morris High will bring you out to 206 in Chester. Not a bad ride.
Good luck

The detour is also using Naughright and Bartley Roads, so they might still run into heavy and delayed traffic.

Apr '23

Summer Bridge Repairs Subject Of Long Valley Public Meeting
".....officials warn that traffic jams and lengthy detours through Long Valley are possible....."

https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/summer-bridge-repairs-subject-long-valley-public-meeting

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
May '23

Gee, ya think?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '23

A bit of an inconvenience for a while for sure. However it is a much needed repair. NJ is in the top 5 in gas tax in the nation. NJ is #1 in having the worse roads in the nation, naturally. When the transportation trust fund expires next year look for yet another increase in the gas tax to "pay for the repairs and maintenance of our roads in the state". LMAO!!

Greg: where do you see NJ as #1 on the nation for bad roads? I don’t see how that is the case after traveling to PA for example. :-)

Friendly mcfacezz Friendly mcfacezz
May '23

Latest update:
https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/bridge-repairs-start-june-road-detours-planned-long-valley

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
May '23

There's at least cross-overs for Schooley's, the first in Beatystown, the last at Port Murray, and at least one in between.

Hard left at the bottom and you come up the the bridge, continue on to Chester. A right brings you to Califon where if you continue East you come out at white church, garden/vege stand on 517. Watch out, if you miss a turn on the mountain you can end up near Clinton.....

Point Mountain is great rally-type road, enjoy.

babbit babbit
May '23

This Friday is planned start of the project. Key dates:
-southbound closed for 51 days, northbound open as usual
-then north and southbound closed until Aug 23rd

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jun '23

Please forgive my ignorance... which direction is north/south?

Coming from Hackettstown to Chester?
Chester to Hackettstown?

Seenit
Jun '23

Hackettstown to Long Valley is south on 517, then Long Valley to Chester is east on 513. The bridge is before the light on 517 in that direction, so would be "southbound".

I thought northbound was supposed to still be open, but its been closed for the past week every time i drive by there...

Supposed to be open 6am to 6pm. I drove north through there yesterday around noon without issue.

Jnnjr Jnnjr
Jun '23

North bound was open yesterday.

Indie Indie
Jun '23

Maybe they should get the crew that put the Philadelphia bridge together and that short amount of time down there

Jimt1058
Jun '23

It was open Tuesday evening when I went home that way.

Jrsemom Jrsemom
Jun '23

Phase I of project has been completed sooner than expected. Beginning Monday, July 10, the bridge will be closed in both directions for 21 days.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jul '23

They are hoping to reopen the bridge in both directions on Monday, July 31st. Fingers crossed.

https://www.newjerseyhills.com/observer-tribune/news/long-valleys-schooleys-mountain-bridge-scheduled-to-re-open-on-july-31/article_9b48062c-2caa-11ee-9586-43c22fc99dff.html

ManAboutTown ManAboutTown
Jul '23

Great job being they are so ahead of schedule!

Friendly mcface Friendly mcface
Jul '23

July 31? I'd be happy if it is true. This was published 3 days ago in the Long Valley Patch:
"The goal is to finish the entire project by the time school reopens on August 23, 2023. However, since Phase 2 is starting sooner, the county hopes to have the roadway reopened prior to August 23, weather permitting," county spokesperson Vincent Vitale said.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jul '23

They still should have had split crews and been working 24/7. It’s the mentality of public work. Get roads and bridges open for commuters and businesses at any cost.

Michigan Michigan
Jul '23

Michigan, while that sounds like a good plan, in this case it may not have been practical. First, that bridge is in a residential area and between the construction noise and the lighting needed, it would not be practical and a major inconvenience to the people in that area. Also, if they are pouring or using any concrete they probably would need to let it set and cure before they could move on to the next step in the repair work.

ManAboutTown ManAboutTown
Jul '23

Ok but I am in the concrete business and yes there a time limits on the curing process. I wasn’t aware that is was a residential zone so that makes sense, I assumed it was a business district.

Michigan Michigan
Jul '23

Did the bridge open on the 31st ?

YES!!!

https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/historic-long-valley-bridge-reopens-ahead-schedule

Courtney1 Courtney1
Aug '23

A post on Facebook said it was opening sometime today. This afternoon, I think.

Aug '23

It is not open yet.

happycamper happycamper
Aug '23

Yes it is....just drove over it- and it is open in both directions.

Can I please get conformation the bridge is open

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Aug '23

It is officially open...

Blackcat Blackcat
Aug '23

Drove over it yesterday.

Seenit
Aug '23

I drove over it 30 minutes ago. The detour signs have not all been removed but the bridge is absolutely open.

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Aug '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Long Valley stone bridge closures starting about June 17
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.