Osa Electronics closed for good?

Anyone know what happened to Bill Osa? Before COVID I used to come into his store and hang out; he let me play some of his pinball machines, and he let me take some VHS tapes home. Since then, the shop's been closed and it appears most of the stuff inside is gone and the building's for sale. Anyone know if he's still hanging in there? There was a woman helping him who I can't remember the name of, she wore a hat with a shamrock on it and she was skilled with computers. Can anyone help solve this mystery?

Timothy Mischka Timothy Mischka
Oct '21

I've known Bill for many years. I'll inquire. I must say I have not talked with him since late last year as well. I do hope he is ok.

Bill hasn't been to is store for quite a while as he's getting quite old (he's almost 90). They liquidated all of the pinball and arcade machines and have sold the building already I have heard.

TownResident TownResident
Oct '21

bill is a wizard with repair. he can fix anything ! i would go in just to talk to him often i bought 2 pinball machines , touch screen video games and a chain saw. they all still work fine. he even repaired my older pinball machines for me. the guy is salty truthfully straight to the point and i think he's a great guy . his friend and helper in the store name is Kate and she is very nice as well and knowledgeable in computers. i haven't been there in a while but hope all is well with Bill and Kate i'm gonna stop by today hope the door is open.

rob the roofer rob the roofer
Oct '21

Bill's GOT to be getting old. I'M old, and I was just a teen working at the Strand Theater when Bill ran the projector there!

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Oct '21

looking to speak with kate, Bills helper to find out if machines are still for sale or not?

Oct '21

OSA electronic is sold and new owner is renovating the old store and putting it up for rent, Bill is in a recover home after a medical problem at home and his daughter has cleared the store of the old machines. I'm not sure if there for sale or not I hope so I would like to buy more of Bills arcade machines as in the past,

Nov '21

Hi all. I am Bill Osa's grandaughter. He is now 83 years old. He is still pretty sharp, but over the last year he has declined physically. He is no longer able to manage the store, so in conversation with our family, my grandfather decided that it was time to sell the store. His decision to do this did not come easily! All machines and items in the store are gone.

Thank you to everyone in town who has supported my grandfather's business for the last 50+ years!!! This is a bitter sweet time for my grandfather and our family.

Kristi Kristi
Dec '21

Hackettstown needs to have a Bill & SHirley Osa day in 2022 to thank a man and his wife who was always there.

He was always a dependable (and lovable in his hard shell way).
Provided many machines for local businesses, ran the movie project at the theatre.

Bill & Shirley (God Bless her soul) Osa day, in Hackettstown, during the Spring Festival 2022 to give thanks to a man who helped this town so much!!

They both deserve to be thanked for the time they put in.

Just a thought.

And Kristi, please let him know he is in our thoughts and prayers as hard as it is with COVID not to see him.

Edd

MissingDiMieosPizza MissingDiMieosPizza
Dec '21

all in for a Bill Osa day !

Dec '21

Hello all! Thank you for the wonderful comments about my dad! He loves this town and everyone in it! I will make sure I read all of your wonderful comments to him! Arlene Osa

Arlene Osa Arlene Osa
Dec '21

Arlene, Your Dad does not know me by name, but when I would see him in Shop rite we would stop and say Hello and How are you Doing. I would wonder why I wasn't seeing him in Shop rite. I hope he is feeling okay and wish him and your family a Happy Holiday Season.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Dec '21

Please give Bill my best, I worked weekends at HRMC therapy/fitness center for 11 years. I always looked forward to seeing him; an interesting man with good advice, always! Say hello from the triplets mom!

tripsrus tripsrus
Dec '21

Still hoping for a Bill OSA day in Hackettstown. But a special car ride or float in the St.Patrick’s Day Parade would be a good idea too. If Bill is up for it he deserves that and more from the town in my opinion.

Feb '22

Building renovation of the front face looks good. Doesn't match the town but clean looking.

youngen youngen
Mar '22

Rob the roofer, it is nice to want to do something, however Bill OSA has really not done anything for the town. I have pretty much lived here all my life and do not remember him doing something for the town or it’s people. He had the junk store on Main St., but that is about it as I remember him. He was a nice guy.

Sport
Mar '22

I'm not sure it's fair to call his place a junk store. At one point it was a fun well kept local place. I have been friendly with Bill for 30 years. My father knew him well too. Nice man. While I am not sure of his contribution to the town as far as donations, in-kind, volunteering et cetera, he is a local fixture and has been for a very long time. That in itself gives many the feeling of gratitude and thoughts of publicly recognizing him. I don't see anything wrong with that. Perhaps a family member or others know of some things Bill or his wife have contributed to here in town.

sport and greg i suggested a ride in a car during the already planned parade. If you ever went to the movie theater on main street to see a movie you can thank Bill for running and KEEPING THE PROJECTOR RUNNING for years and years he also ran a pinball arcade in that same as you call it junk store that many many hackettstown residents took pleasure in visiting. Thats a start but i understand you don't think he deserves a ride in a car at the parade.

Mar '22

and yes he IS a nice guy.

Mar '22

rob, you're mischaracterizing Greg's post. He didn't write what you think he did.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '22

your right i didn't mean. to mix sports feeling with gregs

Mar '22

"sport and greg i suggested a ride in a car during the already planned parade."

So Rob what is preventing you from reaching out to the family and asking them if they want to participate in the parade? If the Osa family wants to ride in the parade they are more than welcome, I don't understand why Town has to be involved with the planning.

Jim L. Jim L.
Mar '22

I was thinking the same thing as Jim.

It could be a nice gesture. Just shooting from the hip here...First reach out to Mr.Osa to see if he would want to participate. Then perhaps contact some of the local car clubs to see if someone would offer up a convertible to ride Bill in during the parade. Or maybe one of the HL posters has a drop top they may offer to drive Bill in (wink, wink). Then maybe contact a local printer like Hollie Studios who I'm sure know Bill to see if they would make a couple of banners for the car with the Osa appreciation message. Roll in one of the parades and let him enjoy the accolades as a longtime community member here in Hackettstown.
One could even draft a Proclamation recognizing his contributions and present it to the Mayor and council to see if they would pass it as a resolution in recognition. I believe something like that was done for the Wysocki's who were the longtime animal control officer's for the area.

Just a thought.

My dad (Bill Osa) is not one for acalades and also unfortunately is not physically capable of "riding in a car" at this point and time. My dad's shop-Osa's Electronics was a repair shop and subsequent arcade -- a place where he and my mother would welcome all kids after school. (Even if they had no money they would put it on free play--and let them have a place to hang and be off the streets. )Every year they would host a Halloween party for the kids. My father ran a business for over 50 years in town and ran the projector at the Strand for almost 40. They helped out many in need as many small town business owners did back then-- They took care of their community. No special acalades needed. The "junk "store was many things- a bowling alley, a washer and dryer sales and show room, a tv and audio repair-roof attenna installations as well, then an arcade and after my mother passed away, a place for my dad to be present in a town he loved and just "tinker" and socialize. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Respectfully, Arlene-Bill's daughter

Arlene Arlene
Apr '22

Arlene, please tell your Father Bill he is missed there was nothing I liked better then to stop by the store and see Bill. He is a Hackettstown Hero in my opinion and a walking talking history book for the community. The knowledge and craftmanship to fix ANYTHING is unbelievable. Bill sold to me fixed for me and gave me a friendship that I'll always cherish, even traveled to my house that he no longer did for repairs to fix a pinball machine he sold me for free. So I went down to the store after a very big snow storm one morning and shoveled the front of the store and apartment walks for him because I owed him at least that and more. Thanks for being there for me Pal your friend rob the roofer.

Apr '22

@ Arlene...My husband and Bill go way back...When you see him again...tell him Les and Joy said Hello and were asking about him.

joyful joyful
Apr '22

Anyone know what’s going in this building?

Peanut butta Peanut butta
Aug '22

They even painted the house next door to OSA! Sorry but I don't like the color. OSA's building is nice.

coasterfan98
Aug '22

Hello I'm Bill Osa's youngest daughter I just want to say all your wonderful comments about my parents made me cry we lost mom 13 years ago my dad just turned 84 us 3 girls grew up in dad's shop it breaks my heart that we had to sell the business but I find comfort in how much my parents were loved by all I will tell my dad all your kind words. Oh and his helper was Kate no relation to us thank god

Joy Biasi Joy Biasi
Nov '22

Hello I'm Bill Osa's youngest daughter joy I think it would be wonderful to do something in one of the parades my mother always loved the memorial day parade if someone wants to do something for a parade I'm in totally I would proudly represent my parents

Joy Biasi Joy Biasi
Nov '22

I volunteer to drive and use my own Ford Explorer SUV in the parade to drive and honor Bill Osa.

Nov '22

To rob the roofer I would love to ride in a parade honoring my parents

Joy Biasi Joy Biasi
Nov '22

joy I have nothing to do with the town or the parade, but my offer still stands.

Nov '22

A song came on the radio tonight that I hadn't heard in years and it immediately took me back to playing pool in the back room listen to the Jukebox, and after looking up if Osa's was still around I ended up on this page. It was such a great place for me when I first moved to Hackettstown as a teenager and knew no one. Thanks for your store!!

RidSkow
Jan '23

Ridskow… thank you for sharing that! Some people make a difference in big ways, and some people make a difference in small ways… And most of the time they live their life, never knowing they made a difference… So thank you for sharing and I will share it with my dad.

Arlene Osa McCollum
Nov '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Osa Electronics closed for good?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.