Pho 57

New restaurant called Pho 57 going in at old Arby’s.... does anyone have details ... open date / menu ?

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Mar '21

Word on the street is it is owned by Kevin who owns the Pro Nails Salon and Spa by Piggy's. I would hit him up for info.

Or there may be a sign on the door perhaps.

Well atleast its not a duncan donuts

Bug3
Mar '21

Vietnamese.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '21

Here's a little info on pronouncing this delicious Vietnamese soup:

Though the most common way to pronounce pho in Vietnam is “fuh” (like “duh”), some regions pronounce it more like “foe” and others stretch the word out into two syllables, according to Diane Cu, co-creator of the blog White on Rice Couple, via Chowhound.

The Hipster The Hipster
Mar '21

How will this differ from the one on main street?

iJay it all depends on the menu ... really looking forward to it opening

Mar '21

Don't just stand there,
let's get to it
Fill the bowl,
there's nothing to it,

Pho

I drove by today they are still under construction...

Mar '21

I hope they have good Gỏi cuốn, and sauces on the tables like NYC restaurants.

The Hipster The Hipster
Mar '21

I hope the interior is much nicer than TOPO......

Pho Shizzle...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '21

If the foods good who gives a pho what the interior looks like. With a drive through, I'm thinking they are not going for a fine dining atmosphere.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Mar '21

Topo is so yummy and the decor is fine. It will be nice to have an option though. Looking forward to trying it out.

Friendly macface Friendly macface
Mar '21

I agree Topo is good and the inside is fine I have no complaints. Another option is always nice

Steve Steve
Mar '21

Thank you for the update do you a opening date yet

Mar '21

They plan on opening in April 1st or 2nd week

Mar '21

Pho, a gateway meal to the awesum world of Viet foods. Don't stop there, though, explore and conquer.

Yes, Pho shouldn't be prounouced as "fuh" or "foh". The original spelling is "phở" so say it like to "fir?" with a upward inflection like a question at the end. Give it a try everybody.

Are they open yet?

happiest girl
Apr '21

"fir" ??? Where did that 'r' come from. ?

Are they Pho-pen yet?

The Hipster The Hipster
Apr '21

EVV - the r is included so you know what pronunciation he/she is referencing. If JCT had written that it's pronounced like "fi" you'd have no clue what he/she meant, correct?

MB: Pho goodness sakes, way it was written, - pho = fir as in fur. Let's phoget about pronunciation and talk about Vietnamese cuisine (about which I know nothing).

I’m hoping for a good bahn mi

Steve Steve
Apr '21

I’d love to try Pho 57 but I suspect everything has cilantro and I despise cilantro

Local Gal Local Gal
Apr '21

Local Gal

I have that gene too. It makes everything taste "soapy" to me, though it seems I am slowly retraining myself to tolerate it in small amounts.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '21

Phil D

It’ll be a cold day in H*** before I can eat cilantro. (Or blue cheese) ha ha

Local Gal Local Gal
Apr '21

I'm in the "cilantro is poison" club too LOL

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '21

Not open ... coming soon signs are out in front of the building...

Apr '21

Pho 57 is pronounced Fuh 57

Chubby Chubby
Apr '21

Whatever I’m excited to see what they offer us...yum

Sandra Sandra
Apr '21

Cilantro is Coriander. A very healthy vegetable and tastes great in moderate amounts.

iJay

Not if you have the right (or perhaps wrong) genes. To a certain percentage of the population, Cilantro tastes horrendous. In my case, it has mainly made food taste like it was washed in very soapy water and not rinsed off. I can't say how other people react to it or what it tastes like to them, but it definitely always doesn't taste "great" to some people, even in small amounts.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '21

I'm also in the group who can't stand cilantro. Topo is great at making my bahn-mi without it, hopefully this place can do it as well.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Apr '21

According to a quick google search, apparently 14% of the population HATE cilantro. I, for one, am in the "love cilantro" group. I find it weird that people think it tastes like soap, but I have met a few, so I think the percentage may be a little off.

eyeroll
Apr '21

I would think widespread polling data on the subject would be more accurate than your limited personal anecdotal experience.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '21

Phil D., I am in the small amount group. When used in less than liberal quantities it is great, but in large quantities it can seem like eating grass...

Have they opened yet?

Apr '21

I know right??? Liberty Thinker. I keep checking each day hoping that someone will let us know. Didn't see anyone in parking lot yesterday.

inquisitive one inquisitive one
Apr '21

http://pho57.com/

Try looking here for updates or email Sunny from an above post as they stated they will offer updates.

From an earlier post:

For all inquiries regards Pho 57 coming soon, please email me at pho57restaurant@gmail.com as I am the Menu creator and knows the status and everything! We look forward in serving all customers!

So I'm curious as to if the owners have previous restaurant experience in this cuisine as the website says "our restaurant is famous for the very freshest dishes"? I love good vietnamese food, so if I have already been to one of their places, hoping I enjoyed it and will be a frequent visitor to this new one.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '21

I didn't see any vehicles front or back yesterday, on Wednesday there were a number of work vehicles.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Apr '21

The menu looks promising ... just waiting for a opening date...

Apr '21

I’ve seen the menu, it looks pretty promising so far.

Brandon Brandon
Apr '21

Has anyone tried Pho 57 yet?

Stay Woke
May '21

Is it open ?

May '21

It looks open

Bug3
May '21

I ate at pho 57 on Monday. I met the owner, who was very nice. I had a bowl of the pho and it was delicious! I had it to go and they packed it very well with all of the fixings and condiments and a very nice disposable bowl. They do have a drive-through which was how I ordered and picked up. I would definitely go back! Here is their website.

http://pho57.com/

Friendly mcface Friendly mcface
May '21

I drove past a few days ago and snapped this picture of the drive through menu. I think I saw some folks sitting down inside as well.
It looks like the sign is made of TV monitors so they can easily add and change items...however I might be mistaken about that that. Would love to hear more reviews. I wish them a hearty welcome to the H’town restaurant scene and much success.

Foodie Foodie
May '21

Had dinner from Pho 57 tonight and unfortunately hubby and I were both unimpressed. The pho had no noodles or veggies other than some large rings of raw red onion and a small bit of scallions. It seemed watery to us, not rich and flavorful like pho we have had before. The meatballs were kind of dense and a bit tough. As an entree we ordered grilled chicken and rice. The waitress said as she handed us the bag “Here is your soup, grilled chicken with rice, and spring rolls” when we got home (we live 25 minutes from the restaurant) we found that we had been given shrimp with rice ( I am allergic to shrimp so I ended up making frozen pizza for my dinner) Hubby said the shrimp and rice was “edible but wasn’t anything special”. The spring rolls were very hard and fairly greasy on the outside kind of dry on the inside and came with a very small amount of sauce, so we ended up just tossing 2 of the 4 that were in the serving. I wish we had better news to report but unfortunately our experience wasn’t good and we won’t be going back. They may get better as time goes on, but we aren’t willing to take the chance on getting another dinner we cannot eat :/

Greeneyeddi Greeneyeddi
May '21

While I'm not discounting your experience, personally I don't know that I would judge a restaurant food quality or taste based on a single take-out order eaten after driving home a half hour. Especially enough to go online and post about it.

Meaning- I love James on Main. Have been there 8-9 times for dine in and had a great meal every time. We ordered to-go a few months ago, but by the time we brought it home, unpacked and ate it- we both said meh. Doesn't mean they did poorly- just that cooked food generally doesn't travel well.

I wholeheartedly agree Josh. Comparing food that you eat in person vs. take out is just not the same unfortunately. We did JOM takeout during the pandemic & it certainly wasn't the same plus it was $$$. However, I know the restaurant was doing the best it can & I will continue to support them but dine inside & not do takeout.

I would be pretty annoyed if I drove home with take out & it wasn't what I ordered. Let's see what others say about it. I wish the place lots of luck.

Didn't this place open like a week ago? Most know that a resturant needs time to get the kinks out. To say, we won't be going back after a week one meal is a bit ridiculous. Give it another chance.

And yet, Josh, we have had the exact same dishes as takeout from Topo many, many times since they opened and have always been very happy with the food quality despite the travel time to get it home. FWIW— We transport all our takeout in an insulated container to help minimize any changes in temperature and quality.
It has been our experience that when a restaurant first opens they are typically at the “top of their game”. They are looking to create return customers so extra care is taken to make sure food is prepared as well as possible, care is taken to be sure that customers get what they ordered, and take out is packed well knowing that it will be traveling an unknown distance. But I guess that may be just our experience. As an aside, we have traveled home with takeout Cuban food from Bloomfield 50 minutes away and it was juicy, delicious, and even still warm enough to eat when we arrived home because it was well prepared and packaged to travel.
On another note, Pho is noodle soup —so getting pho without noodles is akin to getting chicken parm without the cheese. Lol Noodle soup without any noodles at all and shrimp being given instead of the chicken that was ordered clearly has nothing to do with the order being take out— and those things we found pretty troubling. Seafood is a common allergy that every restaurant should be keenly aware of.
We thought by posting here we might possibly save someone else from getting all the way home with the wrong food, or something that could cause an allergic reaction, because they’d think to check the order before they left the restaurant. And also that they would know that the food was not necessarily all made according to the typical traditional recipes.

Greeneyeddi Greeneyeddi
May '21

Yep Topo does Pho right if you go take out. Got it many times no issues.

Steve Steve
May '21

"It has been our experience that when a restaurant first opens they are typically at the “top of their game”."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! On what planet??? Certainly not THIS one! Just-opened restaurants ALWAYS have growing pains for awhile.

May '21

Wasn't TOPO a new business venture by the owners of the Pandan Room? If so, it would make sense that they were at the top of their game from the beginning. Many places in town, no matter how well-intentioned have struggled with their "opening pains". Unless you already have had previous success in the industry with the same type menu and in the same market, there are always unexpected issues.

Greeneyeddi

That said, did you contact the owner directly to express your discontent and issues? While it may be likely that they're still monitoring this thread, it's possible that they aren't and won't know that things have gone wrong. If they don't know what went wrong, then they can't address them. Perhaps they were busy and mixed up the order or someone that didn't normally cook was helping out and the main chef didn't double check the order. Not trying to make excuses for them, but it seems as though you didn't do anything to help them on the right path either. If customers don't speak up, they won't know where they've gone wrong.

I'm hoping to try them soon with some of my buddies from work. While my Dad's the one who's well-travelled and ate both Uncle Sam's food and Indigenous cuisine for a year while in Vietnam, I only have my experiences at TOPO and my taste buds to rely on.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '21

“Just-opened restaurants ALWAYS have growing pains for awhile.”
Honestly, I find myself very thankful right at this moment that clearly we aren’t visiting the same restaurants that you are or we wouldn’t be eating out much, if ever. Rotflol
On a more positive note — have a sunny day and enjoy your dining out experiences now and in the future!

Greeneyeddi Greeneyeddi
May '21

Well stated Phil. An example of a restaurant opening with some issues and kinks would be OMG Burger. They are a group that own several successful long-standing restaurants yet still experienced issues when opening OMG.

Give them a little time and I'm sure we'll get things on track. And if they don't, like so many others, they will be no longer.

If never seen such vehemence in running down local restaurants as I have witnessed on this forum over the years. Frankly, I'm shocked ANY restaurant could make it if THIS FORUM was the judge. Either the food is bad, too expensive, both, or the service sucks LOL.

My wife and I think Hackettstown (and area) is a relatively undiscovered gem of dining. I think the people on this forum don't know how good we've got it in this little town, for good food.

May '21

Yes Phil, we contacted them to let them know.
And to be clear, I only used Topo as an example because it was the same type of food. JOM was also wonderful right from the start — at least WE had no issues in the times we did take out during their opening days. We have also had no issues with takeout at many other restaurants during their opening periods over the years. Was there perhaps a slightly longer wait to get food initially, yes — but I don’t consider that a “ kink”.
Have a great day and enjoy your dining out experiences wherever they may be!

Greeneyeddi Greeneyeddi
May '21

It was not our intention to “run down” this restaurant nor any other we’ve reviewed. We love MANY of the restaurants in this area (and other areas for that matter — dining out is a joy to us) and we routinely offer honest reviews of them on other forums. Some of our reviews are positive and some not so much because a.) not every restaurant is great and b.) sometimes the particular cuisine itself just isn’t for us.
We honestly have never been attacked, belittled, counseled, or marginalized for offering our opinions on eateries on other forums, whether the review was positive or not so positive, because dining experiences are subjective and personal. We’ve simply shared our experiences, read about others’ experiences and found some really great places to eat. Lesson learned it seems …

Greeneyeddi Greeneyeddi
May '21

"We honestly have never been attacked, belittled, counseled, or marginalized for offering our opinions on eateries on other forums"

And nobody attacked, belittled,or marginalized you here either. Take a breath and relax.

Counseled is debatable as I suppose you could take offense to my comment that I wouldn't disparage a new restaurant on it's local community forum over take out and eating once 30+ minutes away.

Biggest 'issue' appears to be the wrong protein- and had you ate in, that would be resolved as soon as they brought it to your table.

I eat out often- and a wrong plate being brought is common. Just had that happen twice in the last week once at a long standing local establishment, and once at another new local place that is still great regardless- and I didn't complain to the staff- nor make a post on here. It happens- and I'm not going to hurt their business over it.

I stand by my earlier comment if that is where your 'attacked / belittled / marginalized' blurb came from- so take it for whatever you want.

See- the people on a forum as just as able and likely to judge someones comments as they would judge a restaurant or anything else.

Greeneyeddi

Perhaps I did "counsel" you, but didn't "attack, belittle, or marginalize" you, since you didn't state that you had contacted Pho57. Oddly enough, now that you said you did, you didn't say anything about how they responded. I would think that you would have proffered both items in your initial post.

Did they offer to "make it right" after apologizing and/or give you credit or offer any kind of a refund? It would have helped to get the full story at the beginning, then perhaps others may not have had an issue with what you said. This isn't just a restaurant review forum, but I'm sure you knew that when you posted. Please feel free to enjoy your other dining experiences as well.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '21

By any chance, could the restaurant have handed you someone else's order, which might explain the lack of noodles in your pho and the shrimp in your dish? Someone else, perhaps someone who prefers to limit carbs, might have requested pho without noodles. It may seem illogical to you and to me, but it might have been exactly what someone else ordered.

What was the manager's response to your complaint? I'm not doubting your experience, but I am trying to make sense of it. I also have seen other new restaurants in town that had issues at the beginning. I know this is sacrilege in this forum, but I had a poor experience at JOM when they first opened. I'm sure it was a one-off (it concerned a member of the waitstaff and not the food itself), but I have not been back because my spouse was turned off.

Everyone's experience is different and one review does not a restaurant make (or break). I've dined in at TOPO and had a horrible case of food poisoning, on my birthday no less. I've had takeout from TOPO (after I waited a year or two and decided to give them another try) and the food was excellent. My spouse and I loved Pandan Room until a few weeks ago when we both got sick from our food and later realized the chicken was undercooked after we took a look at our leftovers. We'll probably still order from them at some point. They clearly had a bad day.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
May '21

I went to Pho 57 for Takeout
I sat there for awhile waiting for my food
In the meantime I noticed on the job training and employees who had issues operating the Register
Too much open verbal communication with one another on running the business that customers could hear
Because the Menu is difficult to understand
I ordered one thing and received another

They were Not ready to Open!

Hotdogchili Hotdogchili
May '21

Too much verbal communication? How else would you train someone? Morse code?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '21

3wbdwnj

.-.. . - / -- . / --. . - / --- -. / - .... .- - / ..-. --- .-. / -.-- --- ..- -.-.--

Translation:

"Let me get on that for you!"

Anyway,

My buddy and I went there today after work.

The waitress was helping someone else already, but said she'd be over in a minute, which is about how it took her. She gave us menus and a list of what was available on it at the moment, since they apparently are working on getting the bugs out before going full opening. At least that's how it seemed. She went to get us a pot of Flavored Tea and a carafe of iced lemon and/or lime water. Both were refreshing.

Our appetizers were out quickly. He had Spring rolls (4) and I had Summer rolls (2). His were nice and crispy and firm without being overcooked with just a small amount of the fry oil on the surface and not at all soaked into the roll itself or being "greasy". He liked them as well as the milder of the two sauces she brought to our table. My Summer rolls were excellent and were supplied with just enough sauce to eat them with sauce per bite and no leftover sauce.

We were still finishing our appetizers when the main dishes came. His was one of the Vermicelli dishes and mine was the "Shaky Beef" with rice. He enjoyed the dish, though there was a bit much shredded lettuce with it for his taste. Some lettuce went uneaten.

My "Shaky Beef" had just enough tasty brown sauce and had fish sauce in a molded-in side container on the porcelain plate. There was plenty of beef, bell peppers and some sliced onions on one side of the plate and sticky rice on the other. I'm not usually a fan of onions, but I tried them and they weren't overbearing, but somewhat sweet, and I ended up using my supplied chopsticks to eat some of them along with the rest of the dish, then pick the rest out to the side.

I ate about half of mine, which would have filled me up had I finished it, but I'd seen that their dessert menu had "Das Creamery" hard ice cream so I was saving room for some Pomegranite Ice Cream! We both got a medium of that, which was two nicely done scoops of ice cream. We both loved it.

Overall, we finished two pots of tea and most of a liter or so carafe of the ice water. I took home half of my "Shaky Beef" to have tomorrow. While they may have been doing some ongoing training of new hires, it wasn't noticeable, and none of the staff were raising their voices to one another or anything. Checkout went smoothly and we were able to have her split our check in two when she went to get it, since we had forgotten to mention that we wanted separate checks at the beginning. No issue at all. The checks were accurate and correct from what I could tell.

As far as the negatives...of course that the menu was limited for now, but we were happy and will return He and his family will definitely be trying it again later with the full menu. Other negatives were the bit of a surplus of shredded lettuce with his vermicelli dish. The place was a bit "boomy" sounding at first when more empty, but as the crowd picked up there was actually an easier time hearing each other. Unfortunately with that boominess, the sharp sound when the water carafe and teapot and cups were put down on the table were a serious pain in the ears to me, but then that sound doesn't bother everyone.

The background music seemed to be Modern Vietnamese Synth if you can imagine what I mean and we kind of joked about the guy who seemed to be playing the wooden clappers probably standing looking cool winking at the girls whilst giving his quick one or two count wooden clap, LOL!

Overall we had an attentive server, as well as another who stopped by and checked on us, so no issues at all with the staff. We will definitely return.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '21

Figured we would give it a shot tonight-

Wow... just left there.... WOW...

If I go to a restaurant and service is slow- no problem whatsoever as example if I look and 2-3 wait staff are running between many tables of people.

My wife and I walked in, not sure of the place- sat down at a table.. there were 2 other parties... and 5-6 staff between the floor and behind the counter.

Numerous times staff walked past us - clearing a napkin off a used table, etc.

10 minutes passed- not a single person even ever acknowledged us- much less came to our table to take an order, bring a menu, glass of water- nothing.

Tons of young clueless staff. Nobody that had a clue of what should happen in a restaurant:

When we were leaving, walked right past a kid clearing a table right near us- clueless to his surrounding.

As we walked out the door, another kid serving one of the 2 tables there shouted out “Thank you guys!” completely oblivious- so I had to turn and respond- don’t thank us, we never received service so we are leaving.

3wbdwnj

Morse Code?
It is so unprofessional for a customer to hear for 20 minutes while waiting for food Constant instruction from one employee to another Totally inappropriate

Sad to say Wendys is more organized
Do you work at Pho57?

Hotdogchili Hotdogchili
May '21

Josh

What time were you there? Just out of curiosity.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '21

No, hotdog. Are you non-verbal?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '21

Phil- some time between 7-7:30

So we went to Mamas...and in the same 10 minute period of time that nobody even acknowledged us at Pho, at Mamas we already had our drinks, bread, complimentary sample dish, and our order in.

Yeah Josh, I see a lot of "myopic" servers these days...

Josh

Yeah, we were there between about 3:40 and 5:20. When we came in, there were only 2-3 other tables occupied, by the time we left, around 5-6. It looked as though they had a LOT of staff there starting around 4PM and it looked as though some were being trained. Our server was Deb, who remembered us from when she worked at Piggies. We kind of stand out a bit, I guess, LOL.

There were two others who seemed to also be primary servers at the time we were there, but they likely handed off things to the others sometime between our and your visits. I think it likely that the manager needs to have someone with experience watching the front end, since if they're split between the kitchen and front end, then your type of experience will likely result, rather than ours. Having many servers doesn't always equate with great service.

Part of the issue may be that they have the small sign that could easily be blocked that directs you to the left to take any table on your own and to the right in order to place or pick up an order. That sign could easily be blocked or unnoticed, especially since it's only about 3 feet off the ground and attached to the dividing wall. They should have that higher up around head level and/or have a greeter to give you a menu and escort you to a table.

Of course, since the menu needed to be explained, since it was shortened, perhaps they should have approached the limited menu issue differently also, or the greeter would have had to explain the menu after seating you, before contact with the server.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '21

Can't complain about the menu or food- never got to see it. :)

I just find it amazing that we sat there for 10 minutes in a place that only had 2 other tables...with lots of workers walking right past us...and nobody ever said a word until we gave up and were literally in the doorway on our way out! "Thanks guys!" Wow.

We might as well have been ghosts.

We won't be going back.

Only other thought- (besides getting a manager to pay attention to the people not paying attention)... If I was running the place- I would put some sort of mid-wall dividers to give separation between the tables instead of just a big open room- and I would also dim down the lights, and maybe a warmer color range.

My wife mentioned she heard the owners also own a local nail salon.

He owns Pro Nails & the salt spa next door to it.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
May '21

Sounds like by the time I’ll want a bowl of pho this place will be gone. At least they kept the drive through so another fast food place could easily move in.

Steve Steve
May '21

What does a nail salon owner know about running a restaurant? Sounds like they need Robert Irvine to the rescue! :)

This food had NO flavor, rice and chicken was literally white rice and chicken . No sauce, spice or seasoning of any kind. Same with pork and rice noodles - super bland. Both came with hamburger toppings, lettuce and tomatoes. The hoggie was not on a baggett ( an Italian roll) but ok. Overall, not worth it. Will not return.

Chriss Chriss
May '21

Had a chance to try it last night. Went through the drive thru. Have had this type of food maybe 3-4 times in my life before. I stated I had never been before at the drive thru speaker and the woman asked if I needed help. I said sure and drove up to the window. She walked me through the menu and I got a p7? Broth, noodles, meat balls. Waited a few minutes at the window, handle a bag and drove 20 minutes home. Poured the broth over the noodles and ate. Compared to what I was expecting it was good. I would definitely go back on a rainy or cold day when I'm more inclined to eat soup. Is it anything I have to have no. I will go out of my way for a good shephards pie but won't eat at Mama's because I don't like their pizza. Everyone has different tastes. It's nice to have the option of a place like this.

youngen youngen
Jun '21

Still would have preferred a chick fil a.

Steve Steve
Jun '21

Yep, need one in the area.

Popeyes is where its at. Chicken worth fighting over.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jun '21

I would take a Popeyes as well.

Steve Steve
Jun '21

Popeye's and Arby's have an application before Phillipsburg's Planning Board to each build a restaurant with drive-thru on the vacant Ahart's Market property.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/2021/06/these-2-fast-food-chains-want-to-open-at-former-phillipsburg-supermarket-site.html

ianimal ianimal
Jun '21

Pho 57 - hoping to hear of others experiences until I try

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '21

My neighbors went last week & did not care for the food or service. Ready the Google reviews - that will give you an indication of how the place is doing. Seems like there are mixed reviews.....

Tried this restaurant twice & neither time was impressed. Food was kinda of bland, but besides that my 2nd time and last time ordering will be the last. First off they only have two vegan options which is fine, but each time we called one wasn’t available because they didn’t have the ingredients or given the excuse of it’s a limited menu. This past time both my girlfriend and I ordered the fried tofu with vegetable fried rice which we were told wasn’t available, but they’d make it. What we wound up with was fried tofu with plain white rice and two tomatoes/cucumber slices and shredded carrots as a salad I suppose so not even close. Service was also terrible. We ordered ahead so I pulled up to drive thru and no less than six employees looked at me through the windows without even acknowledging that I was there. Final after 5 minutes or so someone finally asked why I was there and then had no clue if my order was ready and one the receipt it was saying chicken and fried rice which is not what we order. After 5 more minutes sorting out the confusion , I was finally on my way with the poor excuse for a dish. Too many good options in town to waste my time on this place.

JerYnkFan JerYnkFan
Jun '21

As stated earlier this restaurant opened too soon and was not ready to satisfy customers
Hoping that they may get their Act together

Hotdogchili Hotdogchili
Jun '21

A room full of employees walking around BSing- that can't see my wife and I walk in- sit at a table, alone- for 10 minutes, in a place with only 2 other tables...

and then based on the other guys review above- he waited at a drive up window for 5 minutes while they saw him but never acknowledged...

No- that is not a 'too early' thing- this was caused by the hiring of completely inept unaware and unfit people for the job- and THAT only happens to an entire store when the management is also inept.

And assuming the 'manager' is also not the owner- that means the owner picked the wrong manager.

Time doesn't fix that...owner / management should be grown experienced adults.

If they themselves are no better than kids learning what is expected of them, or how to complete a task- how can they ever know how to control their employees and run a proper business.

JerYnkFan --- go to TOPO. They can do lots of Vietnamese dishes vegan. I just had last week the Lemongrass Mushroom, made with VEGAN beef. It was so delicious.
They can substitute vegan meat, tofu, or avocado ---- or you can just get all vegetables if you don't want any of those.

happiest girl
Jun '21

TOPO is fantastic! Never ever a bad meal there, or his other restaurant, the pandam room

Itiswhatitis
Jun '21

I agree TOPO is the best in town.

Steve Steve
Jun '21

Topo is great !

Exactly Josh!
Employees were not Trained properly
They needed more Proper Training before opening up the Doors to the public and sounds like they still do not know what they are doing

Hotdogchili Hotdogchili
Jun '21

I have eaten at TOPO and Pandan so much Chef Jay recognizes me around town :)

JerYnkFan JerYnkFan
Jul '21

Based upon Josh's review they may not be around long enough for me to try, but I probably won't try. I frequent places where there is passion which you could argue is at a simple place like Jersey Mikes.

I went today for the first…. And I will return! Service was fine… food was tasty and left I full and satisfied. And by the way they make the best summer rolls I have ever had!

Jul '21

I stopped in today after giving them some time to get things under control. the staff was attentive when I entered and explained to me that they changed the menu and added a lot of stir fry stuff. I told her I just wanted a bahn mi and looked at those selections

none of the sandwiches had cilantro or the pickled daikon and carrot listed. I asked if pate was still on them and she told me no and that they had changed to a butter spread.

so... congrats warren county you took what could have been a Vietnamese restaurant and made it your own. you got what you wanted a, a Chinese restaurant that serves ice cream.

Ser positivo Ser positivo
Aug '21

Why does this not surprise me... sigh....

Sad.

Aug '21

I tried today - it's a no go, I'll stay at Topo. So bland, "spicy" was not at all spicy. You'd expect asking for heat to get some heat, but not so much.

kingcoriander kingcoriander
Aug '21

Hopefully we get the Arby’s back. This place is terrible and won’t make it to next year.

Steve Steve
Aug '21

Topo should buy this place outright and make it work. Piggy guy go back to ribs and coleslaw. Stay in ur lane

restaurantexp18 restaurantexp18
Aug '21

I would love to see the business case documentation for this restaurant…..if one was even done.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Aug '21

the people who ran piggy's are doing pho 57? I had no idea. that explains a lot. though piggy's was never a good bbq joint. I'm sure the people around here liked it just fine,but it never tasted anywhere near worth it

Ser positivo Ser positivo
Aug '21

Right I’d love to see that business case as well. My guess was the town was so desperate to fill the dead space.

Steve Steve
Aug '21

I was told the owner is not from Piggy's. The owner of the salon next to the space Piggy's occupied opened Pho57.

It would appear they do not have experience in the food business or if they do it is not working out too well yet.

Ser. What’s your problem with the people around here?

Philliesman Philliesman
Aug '21

Had lunch here today.

Was surprised at the decor as I expected a quick fast-food like place but it’s actually nicely decorated and a sit-down restaurant with BYOB.

Both the food and service was good. So I’d guess they’ve gotten more of a hang of things or my expectations and palette are different then others.

Would definitely go back in the future.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Mar '22

I have been there a few times recently. It has improved a lot! From what I can see the management has changed and is moving in the right direction now.

Stay Woke
Mar '22

Thank you for posting … I need to try it again…

Mar '22

After doing take out a few times and being underwhelmed we went in for lunch and wow. What a difference. The dining room is nice and service was great. Food was much better presented obviously and the portions seemed larger. Would definitely do dine in over doing take out.

Friendly resident Friendly resident
Apr '22

I went again today my 2nd visit … yes the menu has improved service was excellent… food was amazing… please try this place out you won’t be disappointed… (note: I do dine in) I will be returning again…

Apr '22

Is there no lunch menu? None is listed on their website.
I get amazing lunches from TOPO Vietnamese restaurant, and they come with complimentary appetizers, soups or salads.

emerald
Apr '22

Pushing this up… I have been going on a regular basis recently and I highly recommend. Friendly staff. Good food. Every time I go they are getting business… walk in … picks up… grub hub …

Jun '22

No surprise there unfortunately.....

I went often last summer but stopped going recently… restaurant business is not easy to be successful…

Aug '23

I see the new sign is now on the building. Shokudo a Japanese Ramen place.

Good- I wish them luck!

The Japanese place 'across' the street needs a reason to force them to improve...

Just a passing thought: Both under same ownership?

If so- it will be a disappointment.

Just like the Long Valley Brew Pub group.

Yuangui Huang
1855 Nj-57
Hackettstown, NJ 07840

This is the person listed as the agent for the new place. Unsure if the prior owner still owns the building or if this person leases the space, is a partner or a new owner of the entire place. In any event it appears it is not the person, Kevin mentioned in the past as the owner of Pho57...

Let me know when they open and I give it a try the inside was really nice hoping they dont change.

Dec '23

I gave Pho 57 a try and didn't like it. Will definitely try the new place out when it opens. Always welcome to have a new restaurant in the area, beats an empty storefront.

I'm still surprised that Dunkin' Donuts didn't take over the space when Arby's left, I thought they would jump to expand to a drive-thru area.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Dec '23

I will try Shokudo as well. Who doesn't like ramen? LOL

There is a Dunkin slated to be built on the closed Tony's Luncheonette location. While it seems they are everywhere, I would gather that would be a bit too close if they were almost in sight of each other.

We could save much land if they just put a Dunkin's in each CVS......

babbit babbit
Dec '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Pho 57
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.