Hometown Hardware Closing

so upset about this...great store, great help....they had it all...beaten down by the bigs?

zentravl zentravl
Jan '21

https://wrnjradio.com/longtime-hackettstown-retailer-to-close-after-60-years-in-business/?fbclid=IwAR3BGU_RWOqJvVg4lMUc7dTPOEAHbId_vJW7tpgTfKMbP76XoX8bBBfLA9s

Very sorry to see.

Sad to hear about this closing. The hub bought "stuff' he needed at Hometown whenever he could. When I went in for something hub wanted they would help me find it. Thank you Stewart and Elaine.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jan '21

This is sad news. They have been a hometown icon and a "go to" hardware store for as long as I can remember. I wish them all well. They will be missed.

Showtime Showtime
Jan '21

Really disappointed to hear this. I was hoping they weathered the storm. It’s a shame all of these mom and pop hardware stores are disappearing. It was my first choice to go rather than walking into any of the big box stores. Really nice helpful folks.

TheSoundGuy TheSoundGuy
Jan '21

Sounds like they are retiring

I wish them well

Bug3
Jan '21

Sad to hear...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '21

What a great store they have been all these years.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jan '21

Loved that store! So sad........

We especially loved that store at Christmas time... they always had unique things you could not find anywhere else. It's a shame all the "character" is being sucked out of retail by the big box stores and other economic causes.... store like HH are what give charm to nice little towns like ours. Everybody has a Lowes or a Home Depot or a Walmart, but not everybody has something unique like HH.

We have been shopping at "mom and pop"/local shops as much as we can. And if we have to go online because what we need cannot be found locally, we now try to by directly from the maker or from smaller online businesses, as opposed to running straight to the "easy" way: Amazon. Amazon has been great for many many things, but the ultimate homogenization of retail is not welcomed by me. (especially when those retail outlets start getting involved in politics, which is a whole 'nutter discussion.)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '21

Very, very nice people.
Hopefully, they didn’t strip out a ton of equity trying to carry the business and can walk away with seven figures on the real estate sale.

Stymie Stymie
Jan '21

Very sad as they have been a store that all people have used for years.
I will personally miss them

We always stopped there first before going to a big store. I have so many silly little lawn ornaments from them that I couldn’t resist! Such a nice place to have in town, they will be missed.

Clearance sale starts today, there's a lot of nuts n bolts and other parts in those drawers. Not to mention the drawers themselves. I know when Washington's old time version closed down, I filled my parts bins.

Very nice folks and convenient, used to love going round the building to escape to Washington Street. Felt like a secret path.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '21

Oh No..

I am so sad. It has always been my "Go To" Store! especially during the past year.
Exceptional Service. People that I got to know and love. I could just ask do you have this or that. They would always have it and take me right to find it.

I will miss them so much.

I wish them a Happy Retirement.

Such nice people sad loss for the town

Yes, I agree, sad to see them go. I went there several times this year for Christmas decorations. They've always had really nice unique items. Nice people, too!

Joyce Joyce
Jan '21

Happy for their retirement but sad that nobody else will continue the store.

This store was one of the things we were happiest about when we moved to town two years ago, especially since they're walking distance to our house. So sad to lose them.

Monty Monty
Jan '21

Very sad. My brother and sister both used to work there while in high school. Anyone remember what occupied the building before Rockaway Sales opened a store there?

Nova...at one time years ago there was a market there and also a car dealership and then became Rockaway Sales which I believe has been at that site about 60 years. Mr. Ginsberg was on WRNJ this morning and said he had mixed feelings about closing but retirement was in the plan for him and his family's future. Also said clearance sales have started but no definite closing date set yet...

joyful joyful
Jan '21

It was a Studebaker car dealer at one point.

I happened to pass by twice yesterday at different times. I noted the parking lot was full both times. I assume some folks dropped in to offer well wishes. Other looking for a closeout deal. Ironically if folks shopped there at the rate seen now, perhaps they would not be closing the doors.

Sad to see them go, what a great store... maybe we finally get that Trader Joes?

freedom25 freedom25
Jan '21

Aldi’s!

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '21

This is flat out, sad news.

IMO, They were the best store in town. That location was a staple in Hackettstown for 60 plus years. I shopped there several times a month. Their closing is a tremendous loss to Main St. business and the Hackettstown area in general.

It reminded me of the good old days, the classic general hardware stores of years past. Family owned stores like this are diminishing all over the country. Huge box stores are destroying historical small businesses and altering the dynamic of small towns all over.

From hand tools to summer toys & sprinklers, Halloween decorations to cherished family Christmas decorations. I'll always cherish the fact it was purchased locally and in such a classic American, family owned hardware store.

Many fond memories! Best Wishes! You will be missed! Thank You!

rickybobby54
Jan '21

What I would do for a Trader Joe’s instead of driving to denville each weekend

Perfect location for Harbor Freight

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Jan '21

I still say Aldi's would be a great fit. They can have a smaller footprint, the parking is pretty good, and the location --- center to town and far enough away from the big box competition --- could make for good sales. Might even put some pressure on Quickchek's. Might be to tight for them, but sure would be a great addition.

Jan '21

I would love for Whole Foods to go in......

Philliesman Philliesman
Jan '21

Is the building owned by Hackettstown Hardware ?

yes, Hometown hardware owns the building.

Jim L Jim L
Jan '21

Its very sad to see them go. Nice people.

Bobbob Bobbob
Jan '21

Best wishes, and thanks for being there for us! Thank you also for giving the local kids a summer job opportunity.

BTW, Rockaway Sales was a go-to back in the early 90's. Bought my first riding mower there.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jan '21

I'm sorry to see them retire also. They have beautiful, unique items for home decor. Maybe we should all snatch them up before they close.....when are they closing?

Hackresident Hackresident
Jan '21

I think the going out of business sales will determine the close date. Or when Aldi’s buys the property :-)

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '21

Oh yeah... Party City... I forgot about that space... probably because I think I went in there only twice the whole time it was there LOL

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '21

Not sure if there's enough parking for an Aldi's or Trader Joes etc. Too many people binge shop for groceries and they'd be overloaded quickly. Besides, with the multiple QC's, Dollar General, and a handful of other options on Main St, do we really need another mini-food mart type?

Are we trying to turn the entire town into one huge franchise convenience store?

REI, Harbor Freight? ACE Hardware? Furniture store? Mattress store? Any of these could possibly work in there. Business flow would be steady and rather consistent. Most don't have the need for a ton of parking spaces either.

However, I think the building was built in1920's. From a cosmetic stand point, some of the modern franchise's would have to bring it up to their modern standards. That may deter them, but who knows?

Personally, I'm pulling for a strong family/privately run business to move in and do well. I'd hate to see it vacant like some other business locations in town. It's a deceptively large building with a ton of potential. Great location for the right business concept.

I'm pulling for something other than mini-food mart.

The owners are smart people. I've learned they're truly closing by choice, not covid etc. I'm confident they'll find a strong tenant.

rickybobby54
Jan '21

Well, I disagree about the QC and even Dollar General competition, I have yet to buy but an item at QC/7-11 or the like. But yeah, not enough space. I checked a bunch of them and they need about double the parking and probably a bit bigger building size. Sigh. Would be nice to have a small market on the West side of town and the Main Street Frutimex just didn't quite do it for me although seems to have been enhanced over time. It's been a few years, I will give another try.

Jan '21

Some sort of supermarket at this site would be suicidal. Might be convenient for small purchases or item needed in emergency.
Shoprite, Weis and Walmart all in close proximity to one another allow weekly shopper to hit all in one trip to obtain best pricing on staples.
Superfresh died in Hackettstown as did A&P in Budd Lake
Also, insufficient parking—want to navigate Rte. 46 pushing a shopping cart with kids in tow?

Stymie Stymie
Jan '21

Boy, will I miss them. From hard to find cleaning products to beautiful plants and flowers. They had everything

Ronnie Ronnie
Jan '21

What is the fascination with Trader Joe's? It's cardboard in a $12 box.

mattnyd mattnyd
Jan '21

Whoever buys the property is going to treat the building as a tear-down, I'm sure. Do they own the parking lot on the corner?

ianimal ianimal
Jan '21

Yes they own the lot. Has a neat cellar too.

Jan '21

What is the fascination with Trader Joe's? It's cardboard in a $12 box.

@matynyd Have you shopped at Trader Joe's? They have a wonderful selection at decent prices. I'm a fan of their frozen indian meals. It's not WHOLE FOODS which 12$box is exactly how I would describe it

moderateMike moderateMike
Jan '21

ianimal,

I was informed that the building is not for sale, it'll be available for lease. It's not easy these days to just tear down a building and start fresh. It's age and location would likely make it that much harder to do so.

rickybobby54
Jan '21

yes, Ianimal they own the building and parking lot. And yes, your assumption would be correct.

Jim L Jim L
Jan '21

As a boy I remember going to rockaway sales in Rockaway and then a store was opened here. It replaced a car dealership . At Christmas there was always a raffle for a huge mesh Christmas stocking filled with toys. With Leos being gone I don't shop main street as often as I used to. Maybe we can get a main street Trader Joes?

Robert J Rowe Robert J Rowe
Jan '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.