The Inn at Glen Gardner

The former Glen Garder Inn, which became the former Humphrey's Tavern, has now reopened as The Inn at Glen Gardner.

We had dinner there in New Year's Eve and it was excellent. The place is charming, the food delicious and the service friendly and efficient. We split the calamari and Caesar salad with anchovies for an appetizer. I had the pan roasted chicken and hubby had the salmon for entrees. Hubby had the espresso creme brulee for dessert.

Give it a try!

https://www.theinnrestaurant.com/

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '21

Calico,
Thanks for the critique, we will give it a try. We went there regularly when it was the Glen Gardner Inn. However it has gone downhill since then. Looking forward to trying the new The Inn at Glen Gardner.

Lamppost Lamppost
Jan '21

We liked The Inn, we also like Humphrey's, especially the bar area! Will have to go back and check out the "new" Inn.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '21

Thank you for the review! I didn't realize something else opened up in Humphrey's spot!

Looks like a great place to try. Do they have plenty of parking or is it limited?

Plenty of parking!

maja2 maja2
Jan '21

We had our Valentine's dinner at The Inn at Glen Gardner last night. Fabulous again! Lobster deviled eggs and NY strip for hubby and arugula salad and halibut for me. It was a three course prix fixe menu that came with a dessert board at the end. Pound cake with blueberry preserves, flourless chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting and NY style cheesecake with apricot preserves. They had several Highrail Brewing (High Bridge, NJ) beers on tap. It was pricey, $208 with tip, but everything was fresh and delicious and we were stuffed. Even had a little fish and meat to bring home for Daisy. Service was excellent.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '21

WOW! $208 dollars for two. I sure hope there were some other valentine benefits included.

Lamppost Lamppost
Feb '21

Sounds amazing, Calico! Thanks for the review!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '21

Lampost - We don't buy gifts, so dining out is our gift. That said, not that expensive.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '21

Experiences, this is what life is about. An enjoyable dinner is worth it. Plus you probably had quite a few drinks...

iJay - Correct, memories is what it is about. I had two beers, hubby had three so not that many. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '21

Glad you liked it.

For comparison- my wife and I went to James on Main, and after tax and tip also spent over $200..without drinks as we brought our own wine.

5 beers is a decent amount of your tab.

I'll have to get out to check out this Inn when I get a chance.

5 beers and we’d not know about the bill total much less figure out the tip ;-)

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Feb '21

$208. Minus 20%=$166. minus 6 craft brews at $6/per ($36.)=$130. Minus tax into upper teens.
Throw in Valentines Day with your special girl, excellent preparation and setting—-that sounds very fair.
JMHO.

Stymie Stymie
Feb '21

I'm looking forward to going. Maybe next month. Thanks for the review!

maja2 maja2
Feb '21

"$208. Minus 20%=$166"

That's not how math works... because 166 + 20% is not 208.

Also- you don't tip on tax.

Cuz deviled eggs and brewskies just screams Valentines day...... ;-)

Feb '21

$173.33 plus 20% tip = $208 (rounded).

Correct a Josh and Ijay.
I erroneously backed into my figure.
Still sounds very fair.
My tip technique-very simple.
Divide bill by 10 then double it.
Backing out the tax?
Not worth my time.

Stymie Stymie
Feb '21

Stymie - exactly how it should be done!

If it’s a standard 20%, it’s not a tip. It’s a service charge. Tips should vary depending on service, quality, price and atmosphere. I am likely to tip a higher percentage for a smaller price and vice-versa. I tip more for good service and less for adequate.

Feb '21

I will never spend 200 dollars on a meal. No food experience is worth that amount of money.

lonelyvoice
Feb '21

My first $200 meal for two was at Riegelsville Inn. And yes, Valentine's Day. In 1986. Think it was the bottle of wine. Honestly think it might be less expensive today.

I have spent $200 easy for just a bottle of wine. And it was worth it!

That said, it is indeed a rare occasion and, in the case of Riegelsville, a surprise too.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '21

Then you haven't had some very good food experiences....

I have had some incredible food experiences- yes at high costs.

Won't find them around here though. I have had several in Philly.

Not saying that food has to be expensive to be good or tasty...but there certainly is such as thing as 'the next level'...problem is too many places pretend and fail at it.

I agree Josh. I do like an occasional wine, my FIL was a renown Sommelier at the top NYC clubs from the 50-'s to the early 70's and he offered a few incredible bottles from his private supply. My own $200+ bottle was legendary. Most certainly in a class by itself. And I will probably never do it again.

That said, my FIL and I, also like a good low cost table wine, put our whites over ice, and as he said to a big time movie star asking for his first sample taste over ice: "please sir, first taste and accept and then I will pour it over anything you like" :>)

Matter of fact, not sure if he's still there, but the nice little ole man at BK can make most excellent wines from many countries at very reasonable prices. He is an expert and one of my greatest regrets as I reduce premise store-time during this pandemic.

I don't fault anyone having a $200 dinner, especially since, in this case, she said it was great. Now --- devilled eggs and beer --- that's another opinion :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '21

A while ago I was planning on a $300 meal PP with some friends and a successful hedge fund friend of a friend. He orders a $1,000 bottle of wine and quickly said it was on him and that he loved the wine. It is all relative...

Oh, I got plenty of dough, just have a different set of values is all.

lonelyvoice
Feb '21

So does everyone ;-)

Feb '21

Stranger- that’s a relative term.
(I’m sure you know that)

Stymie Stymie
Feb '21

A nice dinner is an evening in your life that will never come again. Good food and drink is a big part of life. If your budget is less one can always improvise.

Personally, when I'm on my death bed, I would far rather have on my mind the memories of a wonderful meal with my beloved wife long ago than the $200 that I'm not going to be able to take with me...

ianimal ianimal
Feb '21

I think I’d rather have a Happy Meal and give $195.
to either Smile-train or St. Judes.

Stymie Stymie
Feb '21

Now, now, restaurants need to make a living and can use donations too. It’s tough all over.

But yes; I donate and tip like crazy this year because my income unaffected, spending down, and more folks in need than ever.

Feb '21

I'm the same way SD. I've been finding myself being much more generous than normal.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '21

Funny that you mention Happy Meals, Stymie... my two biggest charities cash-wise each year are St. Jude and Ronald McDonald House.

As for tipping, me too... 35-40% with a $20 minimum.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '21

Both very worthy

Stymie Stymie
Feb '21

$20 minimum, that’s a hoot. All I got is twenties.... ATM focused!

Feb '21

Ate there tonight. The buffalo chicken deviled egg app was incredible! Filet mignon and lamb entrees were superb. Blueberry crumb and a chocolate lava with peanut buttercream for dessert were excellent! Paired with a bottle of cab, $134 + $30 tip. The building creates a great ambience. At least go sit at the bar and have a beer and apps!

maja2 maja2
Mar '21

Sounds great - I need to get there real soon!

maja2 - So glad you enjoyed yourself.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '21

Thanks for recommendation Calico696!

maja2 maja2
Mar '21

We ate there last night. Every single thing was delicious. Including the cocktails. IMO this is the best "incarnation" of this place yet (we went when it was the Glen Gardner Inn, and Humphries, and now The Inn at Glen Gardner. Great service. Highly recommended, we will be back!

I'm not even going into prices and how "reasonable" they were. Everyone has different ideas of that. I'll just say the food was excellent, and we did not overpay for what we received. But then, some people think Applebee's cooks a mean steak, so....lol

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '21

My wife and I have been there twice. It is a very nice option to have in the area.

The burger with pork belly and blue cheese was very tasty!

The establishment, over time, will prove whether people in the area are willing to spend more for good food and ambiance. I for one will certainly check this place out.

*clumsily googles “Glenn Gary Glenn Ross hotel” *

Consigliere
May '21

JR and Josh - So glad you both enjoyed. I'm so happy to have this higher end eatery in my area.

Calico696 Calico696
May '21

Speaking of high end eateries, has anyone tried the Circle in Fredon on 94? Used to be the Hummingbird house which I loved for breakfast. We tried the Circle over the weekend - very good but......very pricey - can only go for a special occasion. At least it's BYO.......

Luca - Never heard of it. Will check it out. Thanks.

Calico696 Calico696
May '21

Never heard of it either- pretty far away.

Review ratings are good- so probably prepared well if you feel inclined to eat their options.

Here is the current menu- https://thecirclerestaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/4.28-savory-1.pdf

I see nothing that jumps out at me.. especially given the distance.

Also not a huge fan of restaurants that close at 9pm. I'll pass.

Menu is too limited at The Circle for me.

Calico696 Calico696
May '21

almost looks like a "Valentine's Day Menu"...

ianimal ianimal
May '21

Yes it was a limited menu for sure - I wasn't sure if they had additional specials or not when we showed up - they did not. The food was fantastic but I can't justify going there unless a very special occasion & then there are other places as well that fall into that category with more choices. I applaud them for opening up at the end of pandemic with a pricy menu & the place was pretty crowded when we went which I was surprised at.

Went to the Circle last night. Way too expensive for my wallet but it was very good nonetheless

Hadenough Hadenough
May '21

So you go once. I like to try new places so if a place is good but too expensive then I probably don't return. Key point is you give it a try once for the experience.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: The Inn at Glen Gardner
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.