Recommendations for Washer and Dryer

Can anyone recommend brands of washers and dryers. We are just 2 adults and don't require the huge front loaders. When I was shopping in Lowes, I saw some Whirlpool brand. The sales.associate said they only last about 5 years. It seems like a lot of money for appliances that are only expected to last 5 years. Also what do others think.of purchasing the extended warranty?

SusanC SusanC
Nov '18

Speed Queen. Period.

No frills, made in USA, best warranty. Colonial appliance on RT 206 in Flanders carries them.

LJRubi LJRubi
Nov '18

Agreed- speed queen 100%

I bought Speed Queen earlier this year and am very pleased.

Wonderful One Wonderful One
Nov '18

Spend the money and buy speed queens.

Whirpool is the same company as Maytag. They consistently do well in product tests and don't have the extra cost of Maytag's long warranty. The first washer I ever bought was Whirlpool and was still going strong after 15 years when I sold the house. It sounds more like someone's trying to steer you to something that makes them more commission. You should easily be able to get more years than that out of a Whirlpool.

Speed Queen makes commercial machines too so they really last. Those are often high up in ratings too.

My current machines are Frigidaire because I got a really great deal on them. They've lasted 18 years so far and only the dryer has needed a small replacement part that wore out, not failed. It was easy enough I bought the $15 part and did it myself.

LG does well but stay away from Samsung as some models have design issues.

and make sure, despite the desire for high energy savings, that any machine you're interested still can wash with hot water.............I returned an LG because it didn't get the clothes clean - and they smelled musty- turns out this model intentionally didn't use hot water

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '18

I also have Frigidaire and still working great after 10 years.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Nov '18

I just parted with my beloved Maytag of almost 25 years. I knew from friends and family what I was in for when it came time to buy a new washer.

"How Washington ruined your washing machine"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704662604576202212717670514

I did a lot of research and yes, Speed Queen is one of the best and also most like our old washers...water fills the tub and it has the agitator. They are quite expensive ($800 to over $1000?). I did read some reviews that said the new 2018 models are not like the old ones. Look up on You Tube.

Actually, YouTube is awesome reviews! The new washers are different and I found it very helpful to hear the sounds of the various cycles, especially the agitation.

I bought a GE 4.2 with agitator from Lowes. I wanted the option of being able to control the amount of water I use. This washer fills the tub when using the "Deep Fill" option. Hold for 3 seconds. Other brands do have settings for Deep Fill, but in my research GE was the only brand that actually filled the tub. I get more than enough water and I've found that I don't always need to use that option.

There is some concern regarding the agitator type machines (any brand) are rougher on your clothes but I haven't really noticed this. You can use garment bags (Walmart) for anything delicate. I wasn't sold on the impeller type machine...just didn't like the way it agitated. Look up on YouTube to see how impeller machines work.

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Nov '18

My LG defaults to no hot water but I can easily adjust the water temperature to warm or hot. This was probably in the past? I do know that in many foreign countries they do not use hot water for the dishwasher, just the cold line and then it can heat with coils a little.

I had one off the first Frigidaire front loaders back in the 90s, worked fine for 8 years until I moved.

Maytag no issues. Stay away from all the fancy buttons simple is best I spoke with too many friends while shopping for a dryer and many said simple is better. Although pretty, stay away from glass top loads. Condensation left under glass makes mold. Stay clear of non agitator machines. Clothes don't come clean. Stick to old school basic is best.

Cassie Cassie
Nov '18

Ijay- both Samsung and LG are horrible.

I wouldn't own either, regardless of model- does not matter washer, dryer, fridge, dishwasher, oven, microwave, etc... poorly designed flimsy junk.

Whichever ones you get (and whichever ones you already have), how you install, use, and maintain them can be equally important, so here are a few tips for everyone.

1. Clothes washers (and the plumbing leading to them) are one of the biggest causes of flooding, in homes, and they can cause very serious, unexpected damage. If possible, have a plumber install an easy-to-use shut-off lever, for the hoses leading to the washer, and keep it turned off, when the washer is not in use. And ALWAYS use the braided stainless-steel washer hoses, not the cheap rubber ones--it's worth the extra $10. If the hoses are more than 20 years old, replace them.

2. The exhaust line leading from your dryer greatly affects the efficiency of the dryer (and, thus, its energy use). It also presents an increased fire risk, if not installed and maintained properly. If possible, it should be all metal--not the cheap, flexible foil duct. The connections should also be securely screwed together or zip-tied, and they should be sealed at the joints with proper metal furnace tape. The duct should never be kinked, it should lead as directly from the home to the outside as possible, and it should have as few turns as possible, to maximize air flow.

3. Clean the dryer's lint trap and exhaust duct, regularly! Since you usually can't see inside the duct, without disconnecting it, you don't easily notice how much lint has accumulated inside. This impedes air flow and efficiency, can force your dryer to work harder (and wear out faster), and presents an increase risk of fire. If you don't know how (and how often) to clean the duct, try some YouTube instructional videos, or hire a professional.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Nov '18

It depends on whether you want a top or front loader washer. If you prefer a top loader, suggest you consider one without the agitator. Some models use this design. If you prefer a front loader, suggest you select a machine that has a trap in the drain that allows debris to be removed, which prevents clogging. Whirlpool front loader machines often lack this feature. I initially had one that I returned because it stopped working because the drain became clogged and the computer control stopped the machine from running.

Samsung is junk … the repair guy recommended whirlpool ...

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Nov '18

I have GE 20+ years, no issues.....Colonial is great !

steven steven
Nov '18

Josh, nothing is made to last anymore.

https://www.consumerreports.org/washing-machines/most-and-least-reliable-washing-machine-brands/

BTW, I have an LG top loader now, and they are rated at the top.

Front-loading washers use a lot less water, as do some of the agitatorless top loaders.

You will likely deal with increased detergent residues on your clothes....and if you use those god-awful scented detergents/fabric softeners, you may become "pleasantly offensive" to some who don't appreciate the Dollar General reek of your clothes (everything you buy from there has that unmistakable stink, IMO.)

If you're not on a septic, the good old Roper (Maytag, now Whirlpool) washer is cheap and has lasted me for over a decade. Ditto for the low-end Whirlpool dryer I bought at the same time.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Nov '18

When I moved into this house almost 19 years ago, I "inherited" a Whirlpool "Super Capacity" Electric Drier, but no washer. We went down to Sears and purchased a Whirlpool "Super Capacity", "5 Cycle", essentially basic model washer. To this day, knock on wood (lol) neither has let me down. All the cycles seem to work just fine and I get no musty smell in the washer as long as I remember to leave the lid up after the clothes are finished there and taken out to be put in the drier.

I agree with JerseyWolf's points for the most part, though I didn't invest in braided hoses, I did invest in "premium" higher pressure ones and I have a lever action shut off valve which I use to stop the water flow to the hoses when not in use. I also used Teflon Tape on the threaded connections for the hoses, both at the shut off valve and the washer itself.

At the washer to hose connections I also use filter screens, which look like a regular hose washer, but have a small conical metal screen which filters out any debris coming through the line into the washer, such as the odd sand grains or calcium deposits from inside your pipes or heating coils that break off. If your fill cycle water later doesn't seem to fill as quickly as it did, then you can check and/or clean/replace those hose washer filters. You may be surprised at how much stuff actually gets trapped in there!

As far as the drier itself, the best thing you can do is clean the lint filter after EVERY load dried. While many driers will normally alert you if the filter blocks the airflow, allowing it to get that clogged is just begging for trouble, since the air pressure behind it will often push lint past a blocked (and often even an unblocked) filter and then of course into the ductwork where the air pressure is lower and it often then collects since there's usually not enough airflow to push it upward and out. Clogged ductwork supplies the tinder for many a household fire so it's not a thing to be taken lightly. Be sure to disconnect and clean the ductwork at least twice a year. More often if you dry many loads, but your first ounce of prevention is to never neglect the lint filter itself. There are plenty of attachments that allow you to remove the filter and vacuum any lint that has accumulated in the lint housing area and it's worthwhile to use them as well.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '18

Thank you all who offered great reccomendatins. I will look into Speed Queen for Washer and dryer. Believe it or not I have had the same washer for the last 20 years. I am not expecting a newer one to last that long. This planned replacement of all appliances is ridiculous, especially when Lowe's rep told me to expect only 5 years. I will check out Colonial in Flanders. Many thanks for your guidance and information.

SusanC SusanC
Nov '18

My washer finally went after 18 years. I had the Kenmore front load...in the beginning I loved it and started hating it.
So I went to Sears and bought another Kenmore, this time I bought a top load and they are on sale now.
I paid 699 for the washer and 699 for the dryer. I haven't picked it up yet, but will next weekend.

My parents still have Maytags from 25 years ago. Only repair was a couple hundred dollars for the washer about 10 years ago when I told them to just get new ones. Don't expect new Maytags to last that long. If you get more than 12-15 years from any new washer it will be a miracle. The other thing is how rough your washer is on clothes. I always use the delicate wash and soak unless it is really dirty. I also have no agitator which clothes can wrap around leading to a lot of wear and tear; be careful of those Speed Queens as they all have agitators. This is great for laundromats but not something I want for the home.

If anyone is looking for a washing machine Speed Queen is offering a promo- https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/speed-queen-offering-a-10-year-warranty-on-all-products-for-a-limited-time-300890385.html

The 2019 TC5000WN has been redesigned to avoid the issues that the 2018 TS series had. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk2P5_7g_jg

hktownie hktownie
Jul '19

Hi what is the average price for the Speed Queen "? Top loading or no?

Wow I have a samsung front load washer and samsung driver have had them for almost ten years bought them used we do about 2 loads of laundry a day some times more keep the washer door open a bit when not in use bleach it once in a while only had little things go wrong drier belt heating element washer I replaced door seal other than that knock on wood we love them

Chuck Chuck
Jul '19

Invest in a speed queen washer and dryer. They are expensive up front, do a great job, will last longer and are worth the premium.

If you have a septic system, those top loaders are going to be dumping a lot more water into them than a front loader.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '19

Not necessarily-

Watch the video linked for the Speed Queen. It has an *option* for full tub, but does not default to that.

Josh, in general top loaders use more water than front loaders. It wouldn’t make sense to me if I purchased a Speed Queen or any other top loader and only used the smaller load options. I would need to do more loads.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '19

I hated my front loader, it smelled, took forever to wash clothes (over an hour) and I always had to do an extra rinse cycle. My clothes never seemed truly clean and they use a lot more electricity. I went back to a good old fashion top loader with an agitator. My clothes are much cleaner and it washes quicker! I love it!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jul '19

I think it also depends on what kind of laundry you have! We have the GE 4.2 top load with agitator. Right now I have my husband's and son's dirty work jeans in the washer. I have it set to large load which fills more than enough water so that the jeans will be able to really "slosh" around. I also have the option to add increments of water, deep fill on any of the settings or the ultimate Super fill! This washer still uses less water than the older models (we have septic). I knew I needed a washer that worked like a traditional washer and this is it.

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Jul '19

Had front, smell, etc. Loved the clean but high maintenance. Top loaders, cleaner, faster — not sure the stats say that, but they are pretty close to frontloaders on everything and spin pretty damned dry nowadays. And less chance of that smell, less need for frequent delousing... Get one without the center pole agitator, less clothes wear n tear. More room The amount of extra water on the septic seemed negligible. Bought two for two families - LG and Kenmore Elite because I still love Sears. Both very quiet, pretty fast.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jul '19

AJMS: I purchased my speed queen washer (model AWN63RSN115TW01) in March 2019. It cost $1012.88. Best washer I have ever had in 30 years. Purchased at Colonial Television/Appliance in Flanders.

Made in America Too. Can't beat that.

Nancy Nancy
Jul '19

Roper,simple,inexpensive ,made in USA,at lowes.

hammer hammer
Jul '19

We also just purchased a Roper in May so fare it works fine

Monica Monica
Jul '19

We had Samsung direct drive front load washer and dryer for over 10 years in Hackettstown. The only maintenance ever done was clean the filter in the washer and clean the dryer duct. We did 3-4 loads a week with no extra rinse cycles and the washer did a good job spinning and removing water from the clothes. Keeping the door open on the washer was easy and never had an odor from the washer. We sold the house and the new people are still using the washer/dryer. We just bough a new Samsung washer and dryer. Easily the easiest to use and maintain than I have ever had before.

I finally replaced my over 30 year old washer and dryer. I went for the Speed Queen washer and dryer. I wanted the traditional type, with less "electronic s"
I was sold as soon as I went to Co!onial Television and Appliance in Flanders.I purchased both Speed Queen Washer and Dryer and they both came with a 10 year warranty that covers both.parts and service. I did not pay extra for this warranty, it is a special ongoing until September 30. They both are working well and I am happy.
Next I would like the refrigerator replaced..I will use Colonial again Ed the salesman told me to stay with the Whirlpool family, which now includes Kitchen Aid and Maytag.

SusanC SusanC
Sep '19

Pay the premium and get speed queen's. Simply the very best according to everyone I know who has them. When mine go that is what I am going to buy.

I’m perusing this thread because my 5 year old Samsung front loader too a dump. Unreal. Never again with Samsung. I saw all the recommendations for speed queen and colonial but the search engine says colonial is “permanently closed” true?

Consigliere
Oct '22

Colonial did close, but there are other retailers. We purchased speed queen washer and dryer from them and they are awesome. No fancy wifi, led disco lights, and surround sound just a straight simple machine. Same brand you'll find in most laundromats. Now yes they are expensive..... but you also know the cheaper big box store appliances last 5-7 years.

Dare kope Dare kope
Oct '22

I recommend whirlpool …. Replacing all my appliances and just finished my whole kitchen… next is my propane dryer …

Oct '22

Love my Speed Queen. I would definitely seek a retailer that carries Speed Queen products again. A quick google search, indicates there are others that carry speed queen besides Colonial. Good Luck with your search.

Nancy Nancy
Oct '22

Last time we shopped for a washer we saw Rodgers Appliances in Flemington had them

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '22

Very happy with Maytag Bravos top loader -had it almost 10 years - works great

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '22

Looks like the closest retailer for SQ is Bedminster. I guess it would be too much to ask for a delivery 40 minutes away to Indy. Plus, of course, I’d need my old unit removed. This will be our third washer since 2010.

Consigliere
Oct '22

Recently used PC Richards for a Maytag washer. Delivered and installed. Didn't have them haul away old due to $40 charge. A guy on HL will haul away for free.

Pete Babich Pete Babich
Oct '22

Yes to PC Richards for appliances and install

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '22

https://www.barrysappliance.com/Appliances/Washer&filter[brands]=56&sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=15

https://www.colonialappliance.com/Speed-Queen-Evergreen2022

When my previous washer- circa 1996- and Admiral finally quit in late 2021 (a tidy 25 years of use- the last 17 on my watch after a friend donated it to me)- I knew Speed Queen was the way to go.

My research revealed that SQ made some changes in the 2017 timeframe that made the unit a little less than what it was. I then focused on trying to find a gently used SQ unit pre 2018.

Knowing the durability of these models- age didn’t worry me- just the condition.

I perused Facebook market place and Craigslist for used ones.

I got lucky and found the proverbial “little old lady only used it on Sundays” SQ unit- from 2015.

Like new condition - cost me $225- great machine-

Don’t be afraid of used- deals are out there- if you do the work.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Oct '22

Now I’m concerned about top loaders like the SQ with my septic. The previous owner had a top load washer and destroyed the septic field. We were told about this when we bought the house and, because of that, bought a front load washer. Front loaders are maintenance nightmares and only last about 7 years but I don’t want the alternative. Dumping 30 gallons of grey water into the septic during each wash. There seems to be no right answer.

Consigliere
Oct '22

You got a GREAT deal.

Yes Speed Queen's accountants tried to play the cut cost game- but QUICKLY people noticed- complained and UNLIKE all the other brands- they went back to what they used to build.

There is no need to fear a modern speed queen. They are BY FAR- the ONLY reliable washer and dryer still made.

Consig, that is exactly why we didn’t get a SQ. If we weren’t on a septic system we would have. We ended up getting an Electrolux front loader with a 10 year warranty.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '22

How long have you had the Electrolux and is the warranty on the motor only or parts and labor for the entire machine? Our first front loader bought in 2010 was a Fridgidaire which is made by Electrolux and it crapped out after 6 years. Although most of the front loaders do, I have a hard time giving that company money again.

You’re correct, Josh. SQ tried an HE machine starting in 2018 and by 2019/2020 came out with the TC5 which “deep fills” and actually cleans clothes. The problem with that unit is the 3.2 cubit foot capacity. From what I understand, it cannot handle a king sized comforter.

I’m going tomorrow to measure the depth of a few as we have the unit in a closet-sized area. Any top loader will fit but front loaders are 3-4” deeper.

I’m on about hour 10 of research (seriously) and the choices are:

-1. speed queen TC5 which produces 22-30 gallons of grey water per wash—NOT good for a septic system. Has a smaller 3.2 cu/ft capacity.

-2. a front loader which will 100% produce mold/musty odor within a few months time and have the spider arm break within 6-8 year requiring a $400-$500 fix (at which point it’s time for a new one. Also, they require maintenance every 1-2 months cleaning the lint trap (yes, in a washer, not a dryer). Front loaders use anywhere from 7-12 gallons (some 15 gallons) of water per wash but clean clothes as good or better than a top loader with agitator. This is much better for a septic system.

-3. A HE (Hugh efficiency) top loader which dispenses half the grey water into the septic as a traditional deep-fill/speed queen washer but doesn’t NOT clean clothes as well because it doesn’t cover the clothes in water. These typically last as long as the front loaders 6-8 years.

What a pain. I guess a fourth option is to look into the speed queen front loader FF7 but at $2500, it’s probably better to just buy 3 front loaders and get 18-24 years out of those.

I’m sometimes envy those that just stroll into Lowes and buy the first $500 machine they see without doing all the research. Half the time those people pick out and get 15 years of reliability out of those units.

Consigliere
Oct '22

Consigliere

Perhaps a good thing to do would be to look into installing a separate greywater system, if you wish to go with the top loader and are worried about disposal into your septic system. The electric dryer that was bought by my sister & her husband back around '95 was still going strong when the house was sold around 2020 and the washer my ex and I had bought in Jan. 2000 when we had moved in was also still going strong in 2020! Both had been bought at Sears and I know they were either Whirlpool or Maytag, but I forget which. Obviously, as others have noted, those brands don't seem to have the reputation or longevity they used to. I currently have two good-sized frontloading LG models which so far work pretty well, even though they're stacked in a closet. I don't bother with the internet or other connectivity my models have.

I believe greywater systems had been outlawed at one time, but as time goes on, states and towns often realized it was an effective way of helping water plants and add water back into the earth. You may wish to check your town's code to see if they're allowed in your area. As long as nobody's washing poopy diapers, or anything similar in the washer, greywater systems are apparently now allowed in NJ.

A few interesting links, should anyone be interested:

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/dwq/pdf/njac79a.pdf

https://greenmanual.rutgers.edu/nr-on-site-alternative-water-resuse/

https://www.affordablepumpingservices.com/septic-services/gray-water-systems/

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '22

Settled on a Hot Point (Whirlpool) about a year ago. No bells and whistles, and about 500.00 on sale from HD. I did a lot of research and determined that for our needs, we didn't need to break the bank.

The machine has been solid with no issues.

Also have a really old Estate (Whirpool again) dryer, probably about 20 years old. All I've ever had to do is clean out the lint every couple of years, and replace the drum belt twice, which isn't difficult to do yourself, and it's a low-cost part.

only one truth only one truth
Oct '22

Consig: 1 year - parts including labor, 2 years - parts only, 10 years - drive motor (excl labor), lifetime - tub (excl labor)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '22

Only one truth- Hotpoint is NOT Whirlpool- it is 'GE' and I say 'GE' because GE sold their appliance division several years ago to a Chinese company call Haier.

Consig- I'd rather have 1 machine last for 25 years than deal with 3 machines install / disposal- water leak damage, and just the downtime that the clothes can't be washed.

The septic issue might be overblown... septic have been around for a long time- and so were regular old fashion washers.

Front load really didn't start to become a thing until the late 90's with the Maytag Neptune and then the Whirlpool Duet in the early 2000's

Thanks everyone.

You know, Josh, the more I think about everything I have read and heard, you may be right about it being overblown. I mean, I have two young kids that take baths. That bath tub is what, 40 gallons? That sucker drains 50% more than a speed queen and does it every night (the problem with the water volume is not so much that it’s “grey” its that any large amount of even clean water can overwhelm your septic tank, causing solids to rise to the top and travel to the leech field). The SQ on deep fill is 24 gallons. On eco even less. I’ve read another 4-5 hours today and it seems that top loaders from the 60s-80s and into the early 90’s discharged 40-50 gallons per wash. So roughly twice what a SQ TC5 does. Maybe this is where the septic warnings came from.

I’m going to call the nearest SQ dealer tomorrow in Bangor PA and see if Hackettstown is too far for them to deliver. If not, I may take a ride out tomorrow after work and kick some tires. I’m going to have to schedule something soon. The wife won’t put up with no washer for too long.

Consigliere
Oct '22

Interesting new washer feature in these GEs. It has an air ring in the door with a fan that sucks out moisture to prevent mildew. I wonder if it actually works:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Ultra-Fresh-Vent-System-4-8-cu-ft-Stackable-Front-Load-Washer-White-ENERGY-STAR/1002550414

Consigliere
Oct '22

I told my wife everything I learned and she likes the idea of the SQ but is concerned about the agitator being rough on clothes and the 3.2 cubit feet being too small for a king comforter. I told her we could always bring a comforter with us to the appliance guy in Bangor and stuff it into the floor model. I’ll report back. Thanks again all

Consigliere
Oct '22

Consigliere

The only reason I brought up the greywater system was because you seemed to be worried about overwhelming your system.

Just to relate more of my own experiences...while I'm not sure if the system had been pumped before we had moved in (Jan. 2000), I never had any issues with the septic system, nor had to have the system pumped. We never had to have it pumped until they put in sewer systems in that part of Hopatcong around 2009, so figure 9 1/2 years or so. Had to have it pumped in order to fill the whole system in, including the distribution box when we closed the septic system when connecting up to the town sewer system.

I did use Roebic drain treatments in my sinks and toilets every several months, which helped to add good bacteria into the system. You really may be worrying about it for nothing, especially since systems are usually engineered based on the amount f bedrooms and/or bathrooms in the house. That way they take into account the estimted load for the amount of people in the house, including laundry.

https://www.roebic.com/

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '22

There are easier drives for SQ dealers than Bangor.

Barry's Appliance in Bridgewater,

Uneeda Appliance in Raritan,

Both basically a straight shot down RT 206

As for your wife's concerns- the entire reason an agitator was ever created- is to agitate- that's how washers clean. I'd be more concerned about NOT having one.

Also- more water cleans (and rinses) better.

A big part of the failure of low water machines is failed tub bearings. Guess why? Soap residue is abrasive. Tears up the seals= then water / soap / rust kills the bearings.

Lastly- I laugh every time someone talks about putting a blanket in a CLOTHES WASHER.

The 'capacity' topic only even became an 'issue' when they started using it as a selling point on the expensive front load machines. They also claimed to be 'easier' on clothes.

If your clothes are that fragile- they shouldn't be in a washer. Hand wash, hang dry, or dry clean.

For my address on 517, Google maps says Bangor is 20 minutes “closer” than bridgewater.

Barry’s 31 miles-50 minutes

Hometown appliance Bangor 29 miles-31 minutes

It’s not that the clothes are fragile. Not at all, really. It’s the difference between your favorite polo lasting 10 years or 4 years. If I worked as a mechanic or on an oil rig, I wouldn’t even consider a washer without an agitator. But office work with an occasional mustard stain I don’t think requires extra cleaning power. Eh, I’m still no closer to deciding.
Edit:
-I just watched two YouTube videos of people washing a king comforter in both a TC5 and a TR7.
- apparently the TC5 has a “delicate” cycle that uses a more gentle agitation and soaks.
The SQ is back on the table.

Consigliere
Oct '22

Going to Bangor tonight after work. I contacted them yesterday and they said they will deliver for free, hook up for free and free haul away of the old unit. Plus, since it’s out of state there would be no tax charged.

Some more info I found out last night. The volume in gallons I quoted above for the TC5 is PER FILL, not per load. On a normal load, the TC5 will use anywhere from 35-54 gallons of water. Typical 1,000 gallon septic tanks can handle roughly 200 gallons per day. So one to two loads shouldn't be a problem unless we also take long showers, wash dishes and the kids take two baths per day. I have a meter on my water softener but that’s a bit misleading as not all of that water ends up in the drain (drinking water out of the fridge dispenser, making ice, washing the car, etc). Still, expect to see a GoFundMe set up a year from now for my new septic install :-)

Another option popped up as well. The Maytag commercial 575. Apparently Maytag built this model to compete directly with the SQ TC5 and they also offer a 5 year parts and labor warranty. I watched some in depth tear-down videos and both machines are built very similarly. The Maytag is $300 cheaper but at this point, an extra $300 for the internet-legendary SQ won’t make or break us.

Also, there are two SQ models that cost the same and have a similar capacity. The TC and the TR models. The TR seems to be easier in clothes but doesn’t clean as well (makes sense). Both have 5 year warrantees and are both built like tanks.

I plan on going armed tonight with my tape measure, notepad and a king sized comforter. I’ll report back tonight or tomorrow.

Consigliere
Oct '22

That 'Maytag' is simply a Whirlpool vertical modular washer with a few slightly upgraded parts.

Nowhere near what a true old Maytag washer was.

Nowhere near the quality of the Speed Queen.

Comes down to your available funds, and risk tolerance I guess.

Yeah, the Maytag is off the list. The funds are there for the SQ and the risk tolerance is very low based on the fact that this will be our third washer in 12 years.

Consigliere
Oct '22

From Bangor, take 33 to 611 to five guys above Stroudsburg. Makes it all worthwhile ;-)

Babbit Babbit
Oct '22

Dang, Babbitt. I wish I read that earlier!

The ride was very quick. Even at rush hour it only took 33 minutes. It was a great little old-school mom and pop appliance store with both high end stuff like $9,000 refrigerators and $8600 ranges but also more modestly-priced models you’d find at Home Depot and everything in between. We were greeted within the first 5 seconds of walking through the door by (I think) the owner who knew the answer to every one of my questions and was very personable.

I fully intended to kick the tires on a few models and sleep on it before I made my decision. The gentleman helping us really sold me on the spot. We are the now the new owners of a TC5 (TC5003WN) Speed Queen. After the handshake I was passed to a younger gentleman who rang me up and scheduled the delivery (next Tuesday, ouch).

He told me that the TC5 speed Queen wasn’t just the best washing machine they sold but the “best appliance in the whole store, period.” Thanks for the help everyone!

Consigliere
Oct '22

He isn't wrong.

The only reliable appliances you can still buy are the SQ washer & dryer.

There are no reliable kitchen appliances any more- just what is less horrible.

And that is true all the way up to the brands and units that cost over 20k- they still have issues.

Sheesh, I could not imagine the disappointment and rage I’d feel spending $8600 on a range and having to get it repaired within a few years.

We’re planning on remodeling the kitchen next year and buying a new range. The natural gas range we have now is the only appliance we have in the house that was here when we moved here in 2010. I had to replace the igniter about 10 years ago for $100 but that’s all. I googled it, watched a 10 min video, bought the part from a supply house and fixed it myself in 5 minutes. I checked the year of the unit based on the model and serial number and it was made in 1990. I guess expecting a range (or any appliance based on what you’re saying) lasting 32 years just ain’t gonna happen anymore. What a shame. I guess the answer is to buy toward the bottom of the price range and budget for a new one within 8-10 years.

Consigliere
Oct '22

For whatever it is worth I had LG Washer & Dryer for over 10 years never had an issue. I left them when I sold my prior home last year. I replaced the ones left in my new that were whirlpools only becuase they were on their last legs. I used Best Buy both times as they deliver and install often times for free and the pricing is reasonable. 1 THING I did learn is never buy a front loading washer. Impossible to clean and gets very funly even with cleaning due tot he design.

I have to agree there, JG. Front loaders (at least the two I’ve had) were garbage. Capacity was good but big loads led to the breakage of the spider arms on both. Well, that and the fact that the spiders get corroded due to them not being stainless steel or painted/primed/coated to ward off corrosion. I don’t have any experience with the super high-end front loaders like Miele and speed Queen but I have to imagine even those are prone to mildew and mold.

We’ll see how this new unit serves us but, at least for now, I’m on the top loader band wagon

Consigliere
Oct '22

Samsung

Gina Knudsen Gina Knudsen
Nov '22

... is garbage. Avoid anything by them other than TV's

My last washer was a Samsung. And an expensive one at that. Lasted roughly 6 years and was broken beyond repair. Like Josh said, they make fantastic TVs. Everything else is garbage.

Consigliere
Nov '22

Looks like Samsung washers aren't doing all that great, unless you want to use them as a temporary heat source.

https://wrnjradio.com/samsung-recalls-top-load-washing-machines-due-to-fire-hazard/

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Dec '22

Samsung is junk (but not their TVs) for Appliances I get Whirlpool.. asked a repair guy a few years ago what he buys he said Whirlpool they last.

Dec '22

LG is a good brand as mentioned. For whatever reason Samsung had problems with refrigerators, washers, and dryers.

I saw this thread resurrected so I thought I’d chime in after 60 days of Speed Queen ownership. It’s the of the best built, most solid appliance I e ever had. Reminds me of the Maytag my parents had in the 80’s (which they bought in the 70’s). The thing is an absolute tank and washes a full load in 23-36 minutes (depending on settings).

Consigliere
Dec '22

Samsung is issuing recalls
LG is good and Kenmore

I just had to replace my 20 year old GE dryer. Bought another GE , but I don’t like it as much as the old one

Bentley
Dec '22

Speed Queen is the way to go. Worth every penny.

Speed Queen follow up -

Consigliere - how's it going a few months in? How long is the electric cord? Would be going from a stacked set up to side by side with the dryer in between the washer and the washer outlet. I have to go with a front loader - does 3.2 cu ft feel small compared to 4.5+ on most others? Now the models are FF7. Between the "local" options, what were the pros of going with Bangor vs Dover vs Flemington (as long as they are in stock at all). Prices seem to be the same at all - no Black Fri. deals.

Online articles say Speed Queen runs specials around Thanksgiving and year end but have not seen anything so far. Can't call the Speed Queen/stores until tomorrow.

All - After Speed Queen, what came in 2 & 3 for electric front loaders? Durability and energy efficiency are at the top of the list. (Thought I had done my homework and researched but have been burned 2xs by minor repairs that meant replacing very young washers - now because a part is no longer made by Samsung). At this point 3 washers almost add up to 1 Speed Queen. 

Three Bees Plus Three Bees Plus
Nov '23

P.C. Richards in Ledgewood now carries the Speed Queen brand . I also see used ones on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for a fraction of the cost of new .

https://www.pcrichard.com/washers-dryers/

97XBAM 97XBAM
Nov '23

TY - will ck. out PC Richards and the other sites.

Three Bees Plus Three Bees Plus
Nov '23

Is the future all in one unit washer/dryer? Put in clothes to wash, comes out dry.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Nov '23

Miele has made one for years..........

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '23

Still a beast. Rock solid and does a fantastic job getting clothes clean. Purchase with confidence!

Consigliere
Nov '23

I agree with Consigliere. Love my Speed Queen. Works like a champ. Expensive but you won't be disappointed.

Nancy Nancy
Nov '23

If you buy an all in one machine- you should expect to have more issues- and greatly increased repair costs.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Recommendations for Washer and Dryer
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.