McDonald's hamburgers

Not sure if it's my imagination but I believe McDonald's are skimping on their burgers. They seem to be a lot thinner than they used to be. I used to be able to taste the burger. Now is all I taste is the roll. Anyone else notice this?

Skier Skier
Aug '18

I honestly haven’t heard of any one actully eating there anymore.

I think the last time I went there when I grabbed my lab a burger after her rabies shot.

Nosila Nosila
Aug '18

It depends on where you're comparing it to, I suppose. I don't think the burgers from there have changed, but if you're eating other restaurants' burgers you might notice. I think McDonald's serves the smallest burgers, but only by fractions of an ounce.

Harker Harker
Aug '18

Try Wendy’s burgers. They’re pretty good.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Aug '18

The fact that they are not meat is a turn off to me

Bob bob Bob bob
Aug '18

Inaccurate statement. "The fact that they are not meat is a turn off to me".

Fact?

McDonald's burgers:

100% Beef Patty: Ingredients: 100% pure USDA inspected beef; no fillers, no extenders. Prepared with grill seasoning (salt, black pepper). Thankfully, McDonald's and several other chains recently stopped using the “pink slime” in their beef.Aug 14, 2017

https://www.mcdonalds.co.za/are-mcdonalds-burgers-100-percent-beef.html

Fact ? Yes, Fact.

Not at all a foolish statement.

I worked there. I know. Foolish are those who think they know and really don't.

Bob bob Bob bob
Aug '18

They switched from frozen patties to fresh patties..I bet they made them smaller too

bug3
Aug '18

The fact is clear. McDonald's serves 100% USDA inspected beef. Do you honestly think the largest fast food chain in the world would advertise as such then serve some filler or as you claim something completely different than beef? That's simply preposterous.

Unless you were working on your degree in food chemistry, food engineering or a degree in food microbiology.while working at McDonald's, I gather your opinion is what you are stating regarding the ingredients of the burgers-not fact.

If you can produce irrefutable proof of your claim that the burgers are not meat, then lets file, arguably the largest class action suit in history.

Yeah, I worked there too for eighteen years. And you’re full of it Bob.

The new fresh meat quarter pounders are great. And fyi, the hamburgers are 1/10 th of a pound, hence they are called ten to one meat in restaurant jargon.

Personally, I think the food was much better when the burgers were cooked on a flat grill and you had to use a sear tool and then flip’em and season them. No holding precooked patties in a humidity controlled cabinet and then “Q”ing them (couldn’t say microwave, lol). It was fun back in the day but now every time I go in one I say I’m so glad I don’t work here anymore! No more nights, weekends, or holidays to work! Yippee!

I haven't eaten McDonald's, or any other fast food, since 1987. I used to love that greasy fish sandwich way back when though. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

Maybe the "NEW" burgers perhaps are meat. When I worked there, they were not.

I'm not full of it, foolish or whatever you guys are calling me.

I don't need a degree or to file a lawsuit.

I'm glad I don't work there anymore as well !

Relax people.

Bob bob Bob bob
Aug '18

"Maybe the "NEW" burgers perhaps are meat. When I worked there, they were not."

HA HA HA! "Perhaps are meat"... Oh brother....

It's your story and you are sticking to it. LOL

It's all good. I have tried the new fresh Quarter Pounder out of curiosity, it wasn't bad.

Hey Greg, do you need a hug, or perhaps a life ? Geez get over it.

Go enjoy your new fresh Quarter Pounder.

Move on, LOL

Bob bob Bob bob
Aug '18

"I haven't eaten McDonald's, or any other fast food, since 1987." That's just sad C-co. If I don't get a Big Mac once a year, I go into secret sauce withdrawal. I can't imagine going without a MickeyD burger once in awhile.

Super starched fries have ruined that for me at most Fast Food joints. I head out to Johnnies or Humpty Jr's for NJ's best fries. Great burgers at Humpty's too although pricier than MikeyD's.

My beef with the burgers (get it:>) is when you order a c-burger (cheese, not Callico:>) and they put a slice of cheese from the freezer on a burger hoping it will melt and be warm by the time you open it.

Perhaps it's a rarity, but I do love fast food on occasion, Taco Bell's 88% mystery beef included. I just wish they would bite the bullet and go soy. If I can do it at home where you can't tell the difference, I am sure they could.

Of course Iman was a real Debbie Downer telling us about sliced meat not being sliced meat. That ruined my "look I'm being Subway healthy...…" Darn you Iman, darn you.....

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '18

Re: McDonald's hamburgers

It's all good.

Every once in awhile I just can't help but to point out inaccurate and or false statements online. This particular post is actually a libelous statement regarding the all beef burgers offered by the McDonald's corporation. It doesn't affect my life other than I am always amazed what folks post online as fact. Just pass by the North Korea thread here on HL. 98% of that thread is pure conjecture and biased opinion. Yet it is being stated as absolute fact and gospel.

Greg,

Is there nothing else you can do but continuing to comment on this ? Please go and eat your NEW delicious fresh Quarter Pounder and enjoy !!

Geez, turn the page and move on.. LOL

Bob bob Bob bob
Aug '18

so........McGerbils? that would still technically be meat.

Silly to complain about the burgers when what really needs to happen is adding animal fat to the french fries again. They haven't been good since they got all "healthy" and "inoffensive" :(

maja2 maja2
Aug '18

I must say with all this talk of USDA 100% all beef burgers served at McDonald's as they have always been since opening their first store in 1955, I think I just may take your advice and go enjoy one!

As SD pointed out, that special sauce is well special! LOL

You know that 100% Beef just means that nothing in it comes from any other animal than a cow. It's certainly not an indication of quality. It's not like they're claiming it to be 100% ground round or chuck. It's ground waste scraps.

But, whatever... you can keep the special sauce, but every six months or so, I get a craving for a DQP/C... something about the blend of the ketchup and mustard with the slivered onions and pickle slices and the grease running down your face makes for one tasty burger.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

No sir, they have NOT always been as you claim Mr. Greg, and thank you ianimal.

Bob bob Bob bob
Aug '18

Ohhhh, thanks ianimal - That GREATLY clarifies/clears up the argument between Bob bob & Greg ...Maybe not only my thought of what "100% USDA inspected beef" was, but also maybe the BILLIONS&BILLIONS they have served...people in this PLANET!!!

That's a BIG DIFFERENCE .....however, isn't the 'ground waste scraps' what they call fillers? - So, I'm not sure who won or is wining on that dispute.

Nevertheless,...like the definition of Marriage, as between a Man & Women compared to that of a Man&Man/Women&Women..... this world has TOO MANY GREY-AREA DEFINITIONS to comb through/understand/make a definitive answer on ANY SIMPLE QUESTION

Oy veh ;>()

Re: McDonald's hamburgers

I just got back from knocking off a Quarter Pounder. It will say that was one tasty 100% Beef Patty. Just pure USDA inspected beef; no fillers, no extenders. Just the way Ray Kroc made them and they continue to.

I will say though they prepared it in under 3 minutes. I was thinking it would take a bit longer as they make it when ordered.

I hope you enjoyed your ground waste scrap burger. Just the way you and Ray Kroc like it !

Bob bob Bob bob
Aug '18

To tell you the truth, it's been about 45 minutes since I ate it and now I regret it LOL!

That good old McDonald's heartburn!!

Greg you should have gone to humpty jr's for a real burger

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/08/2018_the_best_burger_in_each_of_njs_21_counties.html

Bug3
Aug '18

Wow those photos in the article look great. Humpty's smoked meatloaf grilled cheese sounds like some tasty vittles for sure.

Come on folks....
Think about it Sensibly, and use Common Sense..... We don't need a degree in Beefology, or Meatology, but as I write this, there is a Laboratory Owned by Burger King, and they are L00king to find out what Mcdonalds is putting in their beef burgers, and.....at the same time, there is a Laboratory Owned by Mcdonalds, and they are L00King to see what Burger King is putting in their beef burgers!

And it goes on and on and on.....All whilst the Lawyers and Meat-ologists, and Sue-ologists are waiting to "Let the Cat, out of the Bag!"
Did I say Bag?....I meant Burger!

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '18

maja2

Times 1000 on that one. I haven't really enjoyed the fries ever since & that includes from all the places that moved to veg oil. Bleh, yuck!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '18

Yes, the fries were the best when they were cooked in beef tallow. I think the crap hit the fan when our vegetarian customers realized that.

When McDonalds opened here in Hackettstown in the early 1970's it was like the Taj Mahal !! Big Macs were mouthwatering delicious with the special sauce and good size burgers! Now days as in old commercial from years ago "where's the Beef?" and where's the special sauce? Plus the Burgers and. Fries are often room temperature at best. I go there if I'm starving and desperate which is once a year now. I gave up on them and Burger King a long time ago!!.. If you want a Good Burger I suggest Toni's Luncheonette across from Bottle King That's where I go for my Burgers and More!! Delicious!! Great food !!

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Aug '18

Humpty Jr's. worth the trip for anyone that hasn't tried them. Little Rascal, I will have to try Tony's (my potato salad go to spot).

Bessie Bessie
Aug '18

Tony's is great. Top notch Taylor ham, egg and cheese samitch.

There's too many places nearby with great quality burgers to make me wish to stop at any of the fast food chain stores unless it's late and everything else is closed!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '18

all I can say is the kids love it. we go there more often than I'd like. they do have a nice mango smoothie.

friendlyMcFriendly
Aug '18

Having started my short-lived kitchen career in the 1970's, I just couldn't believe McD's fries were cooked in beef tallow since I never saw any of that on the restaurant shelves.

Low n behold before 1990, that's exactly what McD's did: http://www.latimes.com/sns-dailymeal-1806251-eat-mcdonald-s-needs-start-cooking-its-fries-beef-fat-again-20170825-story.html

However, some facts --- while many will extoll the virtues of different oils, most oils have similar smoke points with a few higher, a few lower. Then there's flavor where most of the opinion lies.

So it's probably not the cooking element of beef tallow, but the taste that we remember. And while the new McD's oil attempts fake beef flavor, no doubt it's not the same. Matter of fact, the fake beef includes milk ending French Fries' strictly vegetarian classification so why not add back the beef?

They are partially pre-cooked, frozen, and sent to the shops for the second half cooking.

My current beef...heh, heh, is that McD's coats the fry with dextrose, corn-sugar for short, which they say stops greying, but let's face it --- it's a sugar coating that makes them extra crisp, evenly crisp. Matter of fact, I daresay they would be crisp right out of the freezer...…

So there's the new fry. I know, tmi, but the beef tallow stuff surprised me so inquiring SD mind, or lack thereof, just had to know.

Aug '18

The only thing good about McDonalds are the McGriddles and Chicken nuggets. Oh and their sweet and sour sauce is the best.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '18

As terrible as it is for you, I still enjoy McD's occasionally. It's the taste of my youth. Comfort food to me. Once in awhile won't kill me, I figure LOL.

If we had a Five Guys in town, I'd already be dead of heart disease LOL.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '18

Five guys is amazing... Instant artery clogger. LOL...

Metsman Metsman
Aug '18

@metsman you're joking right? I've bitten into so many questionable things while eating mcnuggets throughout the years...hard little things.

lovethatpopeyes lovethatpopeyes
Aug '18

Five Guys --- have at lunch in Stroudsburg, skip dinner. Maybe skip breakfast the next day..….

Humpty's Jr's are similar, without the overdose of fat, Highly recommended, very nice family run, great old-time atmosphere. Great ice cream.

But they took out the counter seats to make room. Bummer, loved sitting at the counter.

Great web site with special deals, special meals, and frequent fryer (heh, heh) type stuff.

Aug '18

lovethatpopeyes I've never had issues with their nuggets. You must be getting yours from questionable locations.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '18

IMHO

Burger King & Fuddruckers have the has the best burgers

Five Guys has the best Fries

Wendy's for the Frosty

McDonald's Nuggets have gotten better since they made the switch to 100% real chicken a while ago. I too recall biting into some questionable things in the past.

Former H-Town Dad Former H-Town Dad
Aug '18

West coast - in and out burger
South - cookout https://cookout.com/

Those are some good burgers
I like 5 guys but hate digging through fires to get my burger

Skippy Skippy
Aug '18

They give you way too many fries. Best to share than get your own.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '18

Always do the share.

Aug '18

Try the Anderson Country Store & Cafe if you want a delicious burger with farm fresh toppings! I love their pulled pork burger the most, but all the other ones my friends and I have tried have been great!

My brother used to be a night manager for McD's in the mid-seventies when he was in high school. Those were the days when they still followed more of the original Ray Kroc philosophy, based on the methods used by the McDonald Brother's in their original location. He originally sold those drink/milkshake mixers and when he found they'd ordered a number of them, drove there and sat in the parking lot in the morning to see why they were such a big customer. For a better explanation of the whole thing, read his book "Grinding It Out" where he details the whole process.

I don't eat fast food very often, but Taco Bell is probably my guilty pleasure, bean burrito and the chicken or steak selections, not the ground up "beef" ones. The only burger I was able to eat at BK was the Double Cheeseburger. For some reason I have an aversion to the mayo-based sauces and only go with the mustard & ketchup topped burgers.

My guilty pleasure at McD's. is the McRib (preferably without onions, but with the pickles). Don't know what's in it (and perhaps wouldn't want to know), but whenever I see "limited time McRib", I'm all over that and gluten be damned!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '18

30/35/soon to be 62 Burger is better than Five Guys. Bison burger or gyro burger are wickedness in a bun. But Five Guys fries are better. I hate to have a burger in the way of the fries. ;-)

Humpty Jr has both better burgers and fries than any of the rest of them. Love the cajun seasoning. And the look on the guys face when I order a cheddar burger with double chili and say "To Go".

10% off for the price of your email at Humpty Jr's

https://campaignlp.constantcontact.com/coupon/3e4caf87-3d7f-483d-ac2c-0c669eb6206c

Sep '18

Is fuddruckers still a thing? They used to have one on 22 in bridgewater that was darn good

Skippy Skippy
Sep '18

Beware .. Humpty Jr's fries are NOT vegetarian.

happiest girl
Sep '18

"Is fuddruckers still a thing? They used to have one on 22 in bridgewater that was darn good"

there's one in Roxbury in mall by McDonalds

Skippy, my kids love Fuddruckers. Mostly the arcade that's inside, but the food is actually pretty decent.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '18

"Beware .. Humpty Jr's fries are NOT vegetarian."

Why use the word "Beware" when "FYI" would have been sufficient?

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

"Beware .. Humpty Jr's fries are NOT vegetarian."
And yet you still get 10% off.... Thank the Lord :>)

Seriously --- I take it you mean the oil used?

Sep '18

I have my 10% off email in my inbox! Thank you!

FYI: I would love my fries cooked in bacon fat. What a glutton!!

Duck fat fries are delicious....

ianimal ianimal
Sep '18

Why would a vegetarian even go on a "McDonald's Hamburgers" thread? Lol

positive positive
Sep '18

happiest girl is at it again... LMAO...

Metsman Metsman
Sep '18

I'm at *what* again, metsman?
Giving information out?
Since when is sharing information something to laugh at???

Hey positive .... I seem to recall you have been on vegetarian threads. Why would you even go on a vegetarian thread if you're not a vegetarian. LOL

happiest girl
Sep '18

Lol...because I like veges too as well as meat.

"Beware" come on was that necessary?

positive positive
Sep '18

LOL .... I like french fries.

YES!! .... beware is necessary for vegetarians who might not know the fries are contaminated.

Just because it's not a concern to YOU, why do you have a problem with me sharing that information with vegetarians, positive??

The fries at Hot Dog Johnny's ARE vegetarian.

happiest girl
Sep '18

Happiest girl lets get the hazmat gear out....

Metsman Metsman
Sep '18

Thanks for the fudds Info - it’s definitely a cool place Tracy. Do they still give kids a cookie token?

Skippy Skippy
Sep '18

Is it the oil?

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '18

strangerdanger -- Bob told me they're fried in canola oil, but it's the same oil that is used for the meats ..... everything fried in the same oil, so cross-contamination.

happiest girl
Sep '18

Contaminated?

Might be a misuse of that word....

There go the onion rings...

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '18

"Contaminated?

Might be a misuse of that word...."

flavor enhancing. :)

You're letting the Ketamine in your meats confuse your thoughts, Whip.
:)

happiest girl
Sep '18

Ketamine, schmetamine.

https://www.beefmagazine.com/beef-quality/drugs-your-meat-not-chance

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

"BEEFMAGAZINE"

LMAO

Calico, you should know it's in chicken too........ *your* meat of choice.
Shame on you for trying to pull the wool over people's eyes.

happiest girl
Sep '18

Apparently you didn't click on the link to the USDA statement. So shame on you. Your act is getting really old.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/newsroom/news-releases-statements-transcripts/news-release-archives-by-year/archive/2018/nr-082918-01

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

I'll take a side of fries with ketamine please!

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Sep '18

You have a very sour personality which is pretty obvious.
8 hours ago you challenged my use of the word "beware" for no apparent reason and that has instigated dissension among people. That is what gives you your sick pleasure.

*Beware* is my choice of word, and if you don't like it, well ...........(!!!!!)

I say... *beware* of Calico.
Her act is not old, it's ancient.
LOL
PS -- eat all the tainted chicken you want Calico.

Yesimpc ---- very cute but of course there is no Ketamine in potatoes, just meat products.
But you knew that ......
;-)

happiest girl
Sep '18

From the link above:

"You may have seen a Consumer Reports story claiming that the poultry and meat you purchase in the grocery store and feed your families could contain harmful drug 'residues. That is not true. This story is sensational and fear-based infotainment aimed at confusing shoppers with pseudoscience and scare tactics. Consumer Reports admits in their closing paragraph that the real agenda behind this piece is to convince Americans to eat less meat"

Typical. This kind of nonsense passed around online by people with an agenda.

True facts be damned!! LOL

"You have a very sour personality which is pretty obvious."

Look who is talking. Eye roll.....

And yes, everyone should beware of me. I'm a danger to all...run quickly!!!! Hahahahaha!

Greg - Yeah, I hate when those facts get in the way too.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

So, how many McDonald's hamburgers do you have to eat before you fall into the k-hole?

ianimal ianimal
Sep '18

i love Mickey D's, just sayin' . . . . and i ain't even embarassed about it, and i love fries boiled in animal fat, not sorry to say so,

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Sep '18

Exsqueeze me ---- McD's no use animal fat; their fries are not vegetarian because of additives...

CR did not say what Greg quotes another source as saying CR "admitted" they did say.

"Typical. This kind of nonsense passed around online by people with an agenda.
True facts be damned!! LOL"

Here's what CR actually said: "CR’s food safety experts don’t think that the concerns raised in this investigation mean you should give up or necessarily cut back on meat. The findings are too uncertain and the potential risks still unknown.

But research suggests that many Americans eat more meat than recommended for good health and that reducing meat consumption can be better for the environment. The potential problems identified here may be enough for some to consider eating less meat."

Further, if you read the article, the conclusion is an alarm flag, based on testing, is raised, testing is not conclusion and CR calls for more, better, agreed-upon testing, and we all may want eat less meat, for many reasons, if we so choose.

It is a strong alarm that we should follow up on with conclusive testing. We should not yell "deep state," "fake news," or "nonsense" if we care about our kids.

https://www.consumerreports.org/food-safety/are-banned-drugs-in-your-meat/

Sep '18

I think it’s nice of her to track and wish folks a happy birthday - lots of folks enjoy it - myself included. I’m sure that takes a lot of effort.

What is not nice is coming on and posting stuff like you just did. In fact it’s a violation of the TOS. We appreciate you Calico.

Skippy Skippy
Sep '18

justwow lay off the day time booze...

Metsman Metsman
Sep '18

Calico, please don’t stop the birthday wishes until my birthday. I love getting birthday wishes from my HL family ( as dysfunctional as we may be at times), GC’s song about me & the lovely Maja’s horoscope.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '18

Bessie - No worries. I'll never let some troll keep me from posting b-day threads.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.