Pickle place-Kilhaney's next to Marley's

Pickle place-Kilhaney's next to Marley's

Anyone have any info. Figuring it must be more than njst pickles? Although that is fine too....

Jpb3302 Jpb3302
Feb '17

For the love of Pete, I hope they offer PICKLES ON A STICK!!! LOL:

I do look forward to it opening.

Moving here from Long Valley. Just pickles.

https://kilhaneys.com/

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/kilhaneys/

Holy mother of god! I've been getting my pickles from picklelicious. They're always at the long valley farmers market. This may very well become my new addiction. I hope they have new pickles.

FredFinger FredFinger
Feb '17

Well I definitely have the inside track on this since the owner/operator is a friend who has been gradually building up his recipes and where he distributes his pickles to. Many thanks GC for posting his websites.

Some of his pickles and peppers, etc. he grows himself at an undisclosed location here in NNJ and the rest he sources from local farms and farmers such as Donaldson's, going further out into SNJ as the season starts to close. He hand selects the best pickles from the bushels he buys. His recipes have already won some awards. I'm a bread and butter and sweet gherkin fan myself, but I was blown away by his horseradish pickles! He also has a hand-ground mustard that is fabulous as well.

I think any pickle fan will enjoy his products quite a bit, especially since he uses fresh and locally-sourced ingredients. As you can see on the website, Best's Fruit Farm, Donaldson's and Piggies all carry his "Kilhaney's" pickle line. If you're in any of those places you can see if they have any jars left to purchase and enjoy. I'm not sure if he has any other stock left at the moment, but I'll have to check since a jar of horseradish pickles would be great for Easter time!

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '17

Can't wait for this shop!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '17

oh I hope he'll have fried pickles too!

hktownie hktownie
Feb '17

Re: Pickle place-Kilhaney's next to Marley's

Mmmmmm. Pickle. On a stick.

Tasty.

Sugar Sugar
Feb '17

I just saw "K" of Kilhaney's Pickles this morning and let him know about the interest in his establishment and in his pickles. He'll likely be coming on fairly soon to update people directly and let everyone know what his plans are. By the way, the mustard I mentioned was a test product, his main item is pickles of all varieties and styles, including hot pickles and more sedate varieties, as well as pickling products other than cucumbers alone. For more than that, I'll step aside and let him update you directly.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '17

Horse. Radish. Pickles. Are. Life.

I can't wait!!!

weebiekins weebiekins
Feb '17

The wife and I are very excited about this place. Love pickles. Looking forward to the horse radish ones as well. When I lived on Long Island, I used to get pickles from a guy who had a booth at Western Beef. Soooo good. Horse radish and Cajun pickles are my faves. They still make my mouth water just thinking about it.

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Feb '17

Hopefully pickled eggs will be on the menu. With some decent restaraunts, two breweries, and now a pickle place Hackettstown is becoming a destination for some and a neat place to be from for those of us who like to walk around town.

Agust Agust
Feb '17

Maybe it's just me but I hardly think Hackettstown will be a destination because of a pickle store. Unless they are really expensive you have to sell a lot to pay the overhead expenses. I f this works out maybe we could hope for a Hockey puck store next. Not holding my breath in the meantime will continue to support the restaurants and breweries at every opportunity

eapos eapos
Feb '17

Kind of like the Cotton Candy Store in Riverside plaza ! I couldn't figure out how they could make money selling only cotton candy......,and they didn't! I think they lasted a year.

Mariann Mariann
Feb '17

I'm with you, Agust. I like the idea of specialty stores, especially when big box places can sell ordinary items much cheaper than mom and pop's. If they do online orders they might be able to make some decent cash. I will definitely walk down from home to check them out once they open and continue to hope for more unique places on Main Street.

Feb '17

If you can wait until they open check out the Amish market in Flemington. They have great pickles.

http://www.dutchfarmersmarket.com/

Not in NJ Anymore Not in NJ Anymore
Feb '17

Amish market in Flemington is wonderful, everything is so fresh, donuts, and there bacon is out of this world

How about a breaded deep fried pickle? Is there even such a thing?

Oh god why am I thinking about this? Hope I'm not pregnant. Lol

positive positive
Feb '17

Not in NJ Anymore --
Is the Amish market not open all year? I looked at their website and it did not indicate it was presently closed.

happiest girl
Feb '17

Positive- Frickles are great! They are usually served with ranch dressing,

Yep open below throughout the year.

OUR MARKET HOURS
Thursday: 10am - 6pm
Friday: 9am - 7pm
Saturday: 8am - 3pm

Notin NJ anymore Notin NJ anymore
Feb '17

Is this pickle store open?
I'm looking to buy barrel-cured sauerkraut somewhere closer than the Amish market in Flemington.

happiest girl
Apr '17

1 908-619-4913

Give them a call!

Ooh - are they going to have barrel-cured sauerkraut?

Heidi Heidi
Apr '17

Thanks for the interest in "Kilhaney's". My friend "K" is currently extremely busy getting things ready for the upcoming Pickle season so may or may not be able to respond on here. I'll try to check with him tomorrow to see where things stand and let him know that people are wondering about when he'll be opening.

As far as I know, his original plan wasn't to actually have retail sales from the storefront, but mainly have a place to locate his equipment and pickling facilities. I believe he also was hoping to offer classes on the art and science of pickling to those interested on learning how to make their own at home. I'm not sure if his plans are still the same or have changed in the interim while they've been busy with remodeling, construction and the setup of all the kitchen and food processing equipment, but I'll try to check, as well as to see if he can come on here and update everyone as far as current plans, etc.

I'm sure he'd be interested in people's input, especially with regard to products people like and/or are interested in.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '17

Ok so here is the dill on the pickle store. The store needed A LOT of work and is almost ready. It will have barrel pickles like half sours and krauts, pickled eggs, beets, asparagus, pretty much anything pickled. We will have fried pickles, cheese stuffed pickle egg rolls and more creative specialty food on our menu. We hope to pair up with the brewers so you can enjoy our fried pickles and menu while enjoying their beer. We will be doing wholesale to major stores and specialty stores and online. Since i am certified from cornell we will also have home preservation classes every so often similar to how home brew does his thing. We will also have local crafted items for sale ranging anything from hot sauce, barrel furniture, art, popcorn, and whatever other crafty things fit. Maybe even hockey pucks Eapos.. thank you for your support and will keep you updated when opening date is near. We will send out a code on htown life to bring in for a discount for whoever sees it on htown life.

Kilhaney Kilhaney
Apr '17

sauerkraut ... pickles ...beets....
YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

happiest girl
Apr '17

Will you have pickles stuffed with hot dogs, dipped in corn dog batter and deep-fried?

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

Kilhaney, you've made my day. Prepare to keep a seat warm for my wife and I, we'll be there every day haha!

Apr '17

I am excited about the kraut. You simply cannot get a real sour kraut without a bunch of preservatives and additives anywhere, not even specialty stores. Pickled beets are my favorite and are very healthy. I am very excited about this place opening up. I am so sick of the same things over and over - finally something different!

Heidi Heidi
Apr '17

Yes, the sauerkraut. What you buy in the store has no probiotics because it's pasteurized -- not to mention additives. I hope his kraut is the real thing, unpasteurized.

happiest girl
Apr '17

Wow didn't know sauerkraut could be pasteurized since it's the bacteria that makes it work - the more you know lol

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Real kraut is a health food. It is made with bacteria and is basically fermented. It is excellent for the digestion, good for the blood and helps with many stomach and intestinal disorders (chron's, IBS, etc). The junk you buy in the store (even specialty stores and the stuff that's refrigerated) is pasteurized (so all the beneficial bacteria is killed) and has preservatives in it, so its useless. In my home country (Germany) the old folk used it as food and medicine. I hope they have non-pasteurized, bacteria fermented kraut! I will be buying it by the pound! Pickles are also a health food (as long as you don't have to stay away from salt) as the pickling process protects all the vitamins and minerals of the raw cucumber.

Google fermented foods and you will be a big fan of all the above!

Heidi Heidi
Apr '17

I, for one, am anxiously awaiting the opening of this store. After reading the post from Kilhaney I am more than ready to load up on anything pickled!

Scinats Scinats
Apr '17

When is this place opening?

Not soon enough!! I need my Frickles!! Lol

weebiekins weebiekins
Jun '17

I understand the Pickle has landed!! Kilhaney's open for all your pickle cravings.

I retract my statement above! The kitchen is operating at that location however the store front is not complete yet. That is coming next month. In the meantime the products are available at some local farm stands such as Bests, Donaldson's etc.

Bests has Kilhaneys pickles they told me they have already gone through 12 cases also was told the storefront is expected to open the beginning of August..

Oh, the pickles are delicious.

The Man The Man
Jul '17

Any update on opening date?

Sunshine908 Sunshine908
Aug '17

I poked my head in last week. Getting closer it appears.

They are open. He says he'll be open every day from 8 to 6 at least for now.

jrsemom jrsemom
Sep '17

Pickled mushrooms??? Pleeeeease pickled mushrooms!!
We are eagerly awaiting real sauerkraut and real pickles.

jessicanj jessicanj
Sep '17

They had sauerkraut and some pickled veggies. I'm not sure about mushrooms. However, they did say that there is still more to come.

jrsemom jrsemom
Sep '17

This place is great and the owner is so nice. I think this place will do well. We bought a bunch of pickles and some hot sauce. Owner gave us some free pickles too.

Nicholas
Sep '17

Just tried this place yesterday. Pickles are absolutely awesome. Met the owner and he is very nice. Really hope this place succeeds. You should definitely check it out. You will not be disappointed.

PicklesRock PicklesRock
Sep '17

I love pickled mushrooms

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '17

A terrific addition to Main Street....excellent pickles and samples help you to know what you like before buying. Interesting pickled vegetables and a variety of sauces. The owner is very eager to talk about the business and his plans to add specialty products and services to appeal to customers. Good luck to Kilhaney's!

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
Sep '17

Wow, bought half sour, sour pickles and sauerkraut. The sauerkraut is fabulous (and very healthy for you...look it up) and the pickles are hands down the best pickles ever. I ate the entire container of half-sours in one sitting.

Question, can you die from a pickle overdose? :)

Laurel Laurel
Sep '17

"Question, can you die from a pickle overdose? :)"

Good one, lol! Actually though, if you eat that many I would rinse quite a bit with cold water. Remember that vinegar is used in pickling, which is a diluted acetic acid so for your teeth's sake I'd do the rinse afterwards. I definitely wouldn't chew anything particularly abrasive afterwards either, just to help keep your tooth enamel safe. Brushing right after without rinsing thoroughly first is'nt a good idea either. There are abrasives in toothpaste, so the abrasives plus acid, not really a good combination.

I can't remember what foods are recommended to eat after or with pickles to help neutralize the acid, but I believe there are some. Nope, not a dentist, but I've read advisements from dentists about it before. Eating a few is one thing, but if you go all out "pickle hog" lol, then you shuld take precautions afterwards;-)

I'm glad people are enjoying my buddy "K"s place. He's worked insanely hard to get his business up and running and he's a great guy too. Best of luck to him!

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '17

Phil- I recommend a big juicy hamburger to eat with a pickle! LOL

Greg

Thanks, good recommendation! Of course I'd slice the pickles and put them on the hamburger first, rather than just on the side. I'm partial to Bread & Butter pickles for that with maybe some Sweet Gherkins on the side with my potato salad, etc.!

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '17

Well phil d.. half sours, sours and saurkraut is natrually fermented and has no vinegar and is good for you and your teeth so eat away

Kilhaney Kilhaney
Sep '17

Kilhaney

Haha, great to know that those ones are vinegar-free! Cool to know we can freely go all out "pickle hog" on those ones!

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '17

Stopped in today, and sampled a few varieties, then brought home a jar of the dutch dill. They are delicious!! Way better than anything you fill find in the supermarket.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

For those out of the Hackettstown area I have also seen these for sale at Bourbon Street Liquors down in Clinton Twp on Route 31.

Hope to get over to the actual store in Hackettstown soon!

Vic - Kilhaney's website says their pickles are also for sale at Mountain Valley Liquor in Oxford. I will have to stop in and get some!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

They have them at Arctic Food in Washington too.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

also at best fruit farm

I can't tell you how disappointed I am by this place. First it took FOREVER to open. The place inside is an eye sore. Little to no decoration. Very unorganized. Looks like the owner has taken little pride in the place. Lastly, I want to know why I can buy a jar of pickles at Best Fruit stand for $8.00, but at Kilhaneys it's $10.00??? Doesn't make much sense to me. I've been looking forward to this place opening for a long time. Sadly I will not return.

Picklefan Picklefan
Oct '17

Just had a dill pickle !!!! Ummmm....... so so good. Ready to return in few days !

Billsfan Billsfan
Oct '17

At the moment they are only selling their jarred products--picked cucumbers, peppers, pumpkin, etc.--and some local hot sauces. But soon they are looking to offer foods in-store like fried pickles.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Oct '17

Oh boy. I love these types of posts-

"I can't tell you how disappointed I am by this place."

Ok- lets see why.

"First it took FOREVER to open."

And? Countless reasons for that could happen- none of which should concern you- when a place is able and ready to open they do so. I'm pretty sure ALL businesses would like to be open as quickly as possible as they are expending money while getting off the ground and not bringing any in.

"The place inside is an eye sore. Little to no decoration. Very unorganized. Looks like the owner has taken little pride in the place."

You need decorations to purchase pickles? Give me a break. I haven't been there yet- but that would be LAST on my things to complain about. He could be selling from a wood crate filled with hay for all I care.

"Lastly, I want to know why I can buy a jar of pickles at Best Fruit stand for $8.00, but at Kilhaneys it's $10.00??? Doesn't make much sense to me."

Rough guess? He discounts the cost of product going to independent locations both to help them move product- and he also isn't carrying the overhead cost for those locations. In his storefront he is probably adding in some cost to consider said storefront.

Very well said Josh.

Magpie Magpie
Oct '17

It's the negative ooze that makes it very difficult to own a business here, or anywhere for that fact.

The store, just opened. I loved the minimalist décor but I was their for pickles, not the art.

And I will be back for the pickles and the friendly staff.

Thanks for the support guys. Sounds like you know the struggle of having a dream and not being rich enough to have everything you want to have right away. This is still our soft opening and a lot is coming... a lot! I appriciate all the local support too! Because of you guys is why i will be able to make kilhaneys more equipped with products that are being worked on as we speak and to have more "decor" for materialist people. For all my supporters please pop in the month of november as we will be having 4 more selves of products and a small snack menu including the best fried pickles. Mention "farm to jar" to the check out clerk and recieve 10% off for November. Thanks again!! And thanks for your understanding of struggle and thanks being patient.

Kilhaney Kilhaney
Oct '17

Keep up the good work and ignore those here who criticize! This forum (well some posters) are notorious for criticizing any new business. PS, I love the hand painted sign above your storefront!

Deviljet
Oct '17

We'll check you out soon! Many people don't seem to understand what it's like to own a small business. Best wishes to you on Main St!!!

somechik somechik
Oct '17

If folks have not been in yet I recommend heading in for an assortment of deliciousness in every jar. I am having some of their pineapple right now. It is very tasty with a hint of heat. They have such a broad selection of things. I sampled the cauliflower while there and really enjoyed that as well. The hot sauce selection is sure to satisfy. We picked up a great roasted peach habanero. Naturally all of their pickle varieties are great too!

I can't wait to try some of the other items and look forward to the new growing season.

Price is a little steep imo. I would also suggest pickle chipping most of there flavors instead of just 1 or 2.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Feb '18

They have TERRIFIC pickled eggs

fire251 fire251
Feb '18

We loved their pickles!

Grumpier oldgit Grumpier oldgit
Feb '18

Fabulous! Give it a try and appreciate all the hard work that's gone into your treat!

rleaf rleaf
Feb '18

Re: Pickle place-Kilhaney's next to Marley's

Best pickles I've ever tasted. Available at Best's. If I don't stop eating them right now they're going to wind up being my dinner. SO good.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

The pickled pineapple is delicious .

htownguy htownguy
Mar '18

LOL. I'm eating the pineapple right now! I love it.

If you haven't stopped by their Main Street store, they have fried pickles for sale, cooked to order. During Winterfest we tried to get some and the whole place was packed!

Mar '18

Kilhaney's is going about this the right way. Working with local farmers to get a wide variety of the best produce and pickling it in some very interesting ways. They've got enough variety in the store for most pickled vegetable/fruit lovers and they do the classics right. I've been having trouble pacing myself on the full sours until I can get back there.

Let's support a great local business !

Compugrate Compugrate
Mar '18

I have had some of their products but hadn't been in the store. Very nice people. Looking forward to more. The young man explained they are going to be very seasonal. Pickled peaches . . . please?

htownguy htownguy
Mar '18

Never heard of a pickled peach...

I stopped in with my wife a few months ago on an evening we had dinner at James on Main.

Sadly I didn't see anything I wanted to buy.

My preference is the little tiny crunchy pickles- usually bitter/sour- but I am open to other flavors- garlic, etc.. My wife buys the little guys in a bottle with the little white onions. I pretty much can eat the whole jar at once. Love em.

Just looked in the fridge- Maille Cornichons Gherkins. Bottom of the jar has mustard seeds. Again- little white onions. They are fantastic.

I am just not a fan of big pickles, it is a texture thing....

Give me a reason to come back. Make comparable to these in a large jar. :)

Josh- I was in there Saturday after brunch at James and he said he was going to make some cocktail onions again very soon. He stated they are very popular. Perhaps they are the pickled goodness you desire! LOL.

Not just the onions, although I would probably eat a jar of them as well.

I like the little crunchy pickles.

Since I took the jar out to get the name off it for my last post- I ate it. Yes.. the whole jar. ;)

Went there for the first time this weekend after the parade which was awesome. Sampled several products and went out with several bags of goodies. I will be back.

But were there pickled mushrooms? That's a must have, will go out of my way for these, if made the old fashioned way.

Mar '18

I've had the marinated mushrooms and they were great . Gotta go back and get more pineapple !

htownguy htownguy
Mar '18

Psych, pineapple, pickles, mushrooms.....
Candy across the way.
All sorts of all sorts of resturanteeeees everywheres
Really, has Main Street EVER been more delicious?
Or was it just those Craft Beer(ssss)?

Bring on the summer, bring on the heat, bring on dancing on Main Street......

Out here on main street, I delight for my meals
I get my back into my living
I don't need to fight to prove I'm right
I don't need to be forgiven

Don't cry, don't raise your eye
It's only pink sidewalks on Main Street

Sally, take my hand, we'll travel south 'cross Grand
Put out the fire because I just went to Czig
The exodus on Main is here, the happy ones have beer
Let's get together before we get much older

Hackettstown Main Street, it's only Hackettstown Main Street
Hackettstown Main Street, oh, yeah
They're all wasted!"

With oh so many apologies to The Who, all of them.

Mar '18

Green beans are like potato chips....mmmm

Htown Htown
Mar '18

Did they go out of business? Tried stopping in twice last week. Closed.

Older Mom Older Mom
Jul '18

I was there 2 weeks ago and they were open. It was a Tuesday.

Hopeful Hopeful
Jul '18

For those who have been, are you able to sample the pickles and pickled items at the store before you purchase?

WashingtonTswp
Jul '18

Yes you are.

Yes, they give out samples.

Tried the corn salsa - delicious! Also pickles with their homemade mustard- delicious! And of course got some more pickled pineapple- ate half the jar one sitting!

htownguy htownguy
Oct '18

I love that place! Unique and delicious!

Hackettstown Hackettstown
Oct '18

Just got some pickled red onion - Delicious ! They would be awesome on a burger instead of a raw onion slice. Haven't tried that yet . . . but I'm gonna!

htownguy htownguy
Nov '18

I was there for the first time on Saturday. Bought garlic pickles. They are very good. Place smells yummy too.

happycamper happycamper
Nov '18

I just wanted to give Kilhaney's a shout out - my son's class had a pickle party at the end of the year, and we went in to the store to pick out (and of course sample!) whihc type we would buy. When the owner heard what we were there for, he gave my son the gallon-sized jar of Bread & Butter Chips. It was a really nice gesture on his part, and we really appreciated it. I'm sure the class barely made a dent in the jar, but it made a lot of people very happy!

Thanks Kilhaney's

Pickle party? According to urban dictionary...

They have yummy pickles!

Pampurr Pampurr
Jul '19

Great place. Great pickles.

Indie Indie
Jul '19

Other than the breweries, Kilhaney's was the place I was most excited about when we moved to town last year. I love the place.

Monty Monty
Jul '19

I'm happy to see Kilhaney's on the Passport to Hackettstown this year! I would buy there anyway but now I have an extra incentive.

Jul '19

The place is terrific !!! LOT's of stuff.

Please just go there and buy whatever strikes your fancy.... and it'll be good.

Burns me up when people say "Oh, it's a little pricey". Ya gotta pay up for quality !!!

fire251 fire251
Jul '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.