Next round of weather - week of 2/23

Next round of weather - week of 2/23

I think someone is really trying to see how far we can be pushed

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '15

I think I may have 2 snow days left in me....MAX! Then I may go off the deep end ....I feel it coming

Nosila Nosila
Feb '15

At least we get to enjoy that one day heatwave on wednesday! LOL

I love snow!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '15

I will take 14 over 94 any day. Yes, its cold, but rather have the cold temps then the snow. 25 days til SPRING!!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Feb '15

This is IT. Tonight is the last COLDEST night of the year. Not that it's all over, not that there's no more snow coming ---- but I believe Winter's back to be broken after tonight. We will feel a bit better tommorrow and during the rest of the work week, and really better starting this weekend.

One warning though: if we get a Nor'easter coming up the cost with the snow coming off the ocean, it could be legendary. There's some warm waters out there like 55 off the tip of LI and Virginia Beach.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Feb '15

Mistergoogle,

"Last coldest" is pretty relative considering Accuweather lists the rest of the weeks lows as: T 10, W 5, TH 1, Fri -1.

I agree with your sentiment, though next week is when we should get some real relief.

hocusP
Feb '15

Re: Next round of weather - week of 2/23

And it looks like the snow has given us a temporary week off and has followed Bryan down to NC! :-)

Lows this Tues morning are bottomless for the next 5 hours until the sun comes up.... clear skies with no wind and a fresh snowpack. Wallpack currently at -16 at 2AM looks to easily surpass their -17 low from last week we were talking about on here at this point. This cold spell has been unreal.

Don't mind me. Just documenting these temps.

OMFG!!!!! I'm not sure that I have ever looked at my thermometer at home and have seen -11!!!!

Absolutely ridiculous! If I wanted to live in Siberia or Alaska, I would move there. The good news is that tomorrow will feel like a heat wave getting up to the balmy 30s.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

HAHAHA Bryan! How nice is NC now? ; )

Feb '15

-11 here in Mansfield at the Hackettstown border. -17 in Sparta!

Snow is great anywhere! It's the ice i was escaping! We have a good half inch of snow here this morning. Looks nice. More on the way Weds night.

Crazy temps up there. -20 Walpack! Here are the mins..

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

Family in WS, NC had 1/4" ice last week.

Snow sux, anywhere. LOL

Feb '15

GC's verhoodled little weather station only reported -5 over night with -4 right after sun rise. It's not like I'm measuring out in the sun or anything, but I don't know where the official H-town reading of -11 at the same time comes from. That's a big difference. The only NOOA location I can find is on the Belvidere bridge. Not that I could understand might be -11. ;-)

Winston Salem nc got snow again last night. About an inch

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
Feb '15

BBU i'm well aware. We had close to an inch of freezing rain/sleet last week. The good thing is it melted pretty quickly (at least on the roads). Up there it would be around for months.

GC - on mornings like this the cold air is very shallow and can sink right to the ground. So a thermometer an inch or two above the ground can give you a reading quite a bit lower than one say, on your deck.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

GC, coming in at 6:45 this morning I had -8 in Hackettstown.

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Feb '15

I emailed Dr Dave Robinson this morning who runs the Rutgers weather site. Was curious if those were new records for the Walpack and Pequest weather stations this morning. Especially for so late in the season. His reply:

We don't have records that go back more than a decade for these
stations.  You have to go back to January 1994 for such cold, where some
valley locations in Sussex got to -30.

Layton (past NWS Coop station) dropped to -23 on February 28, 1934. 
Nothing was colder later in the season, though they were -14 as late as
March 25, 1906.

Charlotteburg at -12 tied their coldest for so late in the season.  They
were -7 on March 25, 1906.

Impressive cold this AM for any time of the winter.

Dave

Dr. David A. Robinson
Professor, Department of Geography
New Jersey State Climatologist
Rutgers University
54 Joyce Kilmer Avenue
Piscataway, NJ 08854-8054

-16 in Sandyston this morning. We aren't far from Walpack. I hit -18 about a mile from my house. Cannot wait for July.

M & K M & K
Feb '15

For the date Walpack set a state record. Sussex also had a station record for the date (-15).

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

M&K,

There is a community just to your north on 206 called Hainesville. Always remember hearing it referred to as the coldest spot in NJ on mornings like this.

My father, who had a part time job in Hainesville back in the 1930's, referred to that hamlet as the Ice Box of Sussex County.

Wendy Wendy
Feb '15

Vic I am 2 miles from Hainesville. I actually live just off Layton - Hainesville road. It is definetly a cold spot here.

M & K M & K
Feb '15

My car had it at -8F in my driveway, -12F along Flora in Hopatcong, dropping to -15F along most parts of Waterloo Rd. until I got towards Hackettstown, where I hit gradually warming air of -8F and a -5F when I parked at work along Newburgh Rd. I generally see a range of around 5 degrees of F on my way to work. Most of the time the coldest spot I run into is at or near my house and generally it seems warmer in Hackettstown by a few degrees, though that's not always the case. You can tell that the colder air settles in pockets in various areas, but the "pockets" I drive through don't always match in temps of up and down gradient.

No matter how you slice it, that's wicked cold.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '15

5-8" of snow for NC! LMFAO!! Better them then us. Get that shovel out Bryan.

Feb '15

Snowing good here in SC now. Expecting 7-10. Glad i brought our shovels and sleds. This could be a top 10 snowfall ever in Charlotte.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

My son just called and told me Bryan! His job still wants them to come in tomorrow so far! The grandsons are excited!

Christine Christine
Feb '15

My brother's Charlotte college is closed. And the neighbors are moving away to get away from all this and going to Raleigh, the heart of the storm. You can't make that one up. ;-)

That's funny GC. My office is already closed tomorrow, 2nd time in two weeks. Would not be surprised if it extends into Friday too.

BTW just looking at this closer, there's a chance this storm might scrape you guys tomorrow with a little light snow (so take that BBU haha).

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

WS, NC forecasted for 4-8" when all said and done later today, with ice accum. also.

Bryan-just "ribbing" you! ; ) Jealous (well was, lol) you are there and I'm still in Jersey. Just a matter of time.

Feb '15

I know BBU, i'm just busting on you also. Hope you get yourself down here! We didn't get much snow last night. There was more up towards the northern part of the state.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

Models are showing a welcome pattern change on the way. Hang in there.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

we had -9 in our little valley the other day, way too cold for me, don't care for it really

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '15

One of the most accurate weather forecasts i have seen is from the Hillbilly Weatherman on you-tube. He has a knack for calling it right. A little crude, I guess that's why he isn't on prime time.

number10 number10
Feb '15

Bryan-you posted SC. On a business trip? LOL. I'm positively looking forward to the pattern change. The ice and snow is so packed and not melting because of the temps, I'm starting to think its not going to melt until July! :o

Feb '15

The weather will get warm and toasty now that we just had the wood stove installed. You're welcome everyone;)

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '15

Thanks Blackcat but maybe you should have had it installed two months ago, lol. I heard Lonnie on Channel 2 say the same as Bryan is mentioning. He is seeing a change by around next Wednesday. Looking forward to it. So tired of being cold.

justwondering justwondering
Feb '15

Charlotte is only a few miles from the border of SC. We actually moved to SC because the schools are better and more stable (believe it or not). Plus gas and taxes are cheaper. It's growing like wildfire though. The # of new developments on tap is crazy.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

Yes, my Sister loves it in SC. She also lives about 10 miles from the border of Charlotte, NC. They even have a local Giants Group for those that want to watch games together and root for their "home" team:-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '15

That's great Phil. Is there anyway I get more info on that? I'm a huge Giants fan and I have to find a way to watch the games.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

LOL, knew that, but thought you were in NC. Cousins husband is one of the heads of the road dept in Charlotte. Hope you are enjoying it. Can't wait until you are posting here about 65-70 degrees and sunny. Down there it will be 90. Enjoy!

Feb '15

haha thanks. Yeh i know the roles will be reversed in the summer. The heat never bothered me though. I'm looking forward to it. Also first you have to get through spring which we know is horrendous up there!

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

Being that the winter has been soooo cold, do you see the spring/summer being brutally warm/hot? I'm putting my order in for 77 degrees all season long. Thanks ;o

Feb '15

Bryan

Certainly. PM me on here and I'll try to get you hooked up. They live in Fort Mill and I think it's a back room of a local Sports Bar that they hang out in. I'll try to have more info for you once you contact me.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '15

wow I live in Fort Mill also!!! Just PM'd you.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

I'm not sure it's possible to see that far out BBU. The trend has been cooler summers though. Let's see how the spring starts to play out. From what I can see the cold is really losing it's grip quickly after we get through the new few days. Maybe this is the start of a bigger pattern change that could lead to a much hotter summer but the jury is still out.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

Thanks Bryan!

Feb '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.