Pizzagaina

Does anyone know if there is a local bakery making Pizzagaina? I use to make it but my oven is broken.

jaemae jaemae
Apr '14

Muheisens in washington picked 2 up today 908689 4100

luv to eat luv to eat
Apr '14

I was thinking of them today!! Do you have to order them. A little late on my part I guess if you do. How do they look? Did you cut one yet? I'm wondering how they make it since there are a million different recipes! And if you don't mind, can you tell me how much they cost and how big they are? Thank you luv to eat!

jaemae jaemae
Apr '14

Giancarlo's in ledgewood has them. A whole one is $40 or you can buy it the pound for $13 per pound.

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '14

Thanks jrsemom! It is an expensive thing to make. $40 sounds reasonable actually.

jaemae jaemae
Apr '14

I am making this tonight! ( we cut up the meat on Good Friday so we are not tempted to eat the meat! ) We call it Pizza Rustica.
Shoprite on 57 had the Grain Pie and they also had a Ricotta pie but only a few.
I make 3 nice pies and cost me a good $75.00 for the ingredients.

Bklyngrl Bklyngrl
Apr '14

$23 a pie and they are Mmmmmmmmmm

luv to eat luv to eat
Apr '14

I did all the chopping and dicing, and made the filling for 4 - 8" Calabrese style pies.
Went to sleep at 10, and just woke up to make the dough....
This Saturday, I will assemble them, and bake them; so they will be fresh for Easter Sunday.
I don't use the Pot Cheese (ricotta) , so that they stay fresh longer in storage; without the bottom crust getting soggy.
As it is, they are gone within a week after baking them. LOL, and with all probability, I will probably be making another 4 mid week because they are in demand in my family.
"La famiglia e' tutto!" ...( My Family is all of my life )

I remember taking slices for lunch at work, hahahaha, and they were wolved down at morning break time.

The family can't wait to eat them. Great with wine, and especially beer!.....and as a matter of fact, This baker is ready for a few brews right now; whilst I punch out the dough for the pies!

"Buona Pasqua a Tutti!"

embryodad embryodad
Apr '14

AWESOME, Embryodad! I called last night to ask mother if you were making them and if I was getting an Easter basket this year. LMAO! Can't WAIT for the Pizzagiana! :) :) :) See you after work ;) xoxoxox. PS to posters.....My Dad makes this so DELICIOUS and is a secret recipe so I need to watch him make it so I can learn.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Apr '14

I picked up an 8 inch pie size one for 18.95 at Tony and Vinnie's on Route 45 in Dover. They also had a larger size and squares when I was there yesterday. It is delicious!

lilindependance lilindependance
Apr '14

Sounds so good. Haven't had one in years and you guys are tempting me to run to the bakery.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

Re: Pizzagaina

Had to have a little taste!....

Hey!... The chef / baker gets first pick!

embryodad embryodad
Apr '14

I made mine yesterday too... We call it Bastone. layers of HB eggs, ham, sausage & mozzarella with the simplest most delicious crust. OK, time to go slice into it lol. A Blessed Easter to you all!

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Apr '14

Happy Easter everyone! I made one yesterday, and a tiny corner is missing today. Yum!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.