Memorial day parade 2013

Anyone have details regarding the parade this year?

New guy New guy
Mar '13

As far as I know the parade is scheduled for Monday, May 27th this year. New guy...anything special you are asking about??

joyful joyful
Mar '13

Starts at 10am......lasts about an hour. Is on Main St......Goes from Grand Ave to Cemetary on Mountain Ave. Then a small service there. American Legion arranges everything.

Christine Christine
Mar '13

Should start at 10:00am....unless there is a delay due to the snow storm

Nosila Nosila
Mar '13

Small town USA!

smith
Mar '13

This link says the parade starts at 9:30am.

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/news/2013/3/145th-annual-memorial-day-parade

Lilly Lilly
May '13

That link might be a bit off in time, Lilly. I am in the parade and was told that all participants are to be there by 9:30 or so with parade itself kicking off at 10 a.m.

joyful joyful
May '13

I thought it has always kicked off at 10:00AM. All the years I marched with the scouts it always did. As Joyful pointed out assemble between 9:00AM and 9:30AM then smile and wave at 10:00AM!

Hopefully the parade organizers will move all the military to the front of the parade this year, while I understand the whole "safe the best for last" idea that was brought up in discussion last year but I think our military men and women deserve top billing at the front of the parade.

Bring jars of peanut butter to donate to the Summer Backpack program. The program run out of St. James' Episcopal Church provides bags of food to needy children in our area. Last year the program served over 250 children.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/St-James-Episcopal-Church-Hackettstown/329738687070245

ldeloreto ldeloreto
May '13

Anybody know the official parade start time?????? The BID still lists the start time as 9:30 with line-up at 9:00. Can we get any official confirmation that they are moving the parade start time up from 10:00?

Kurt, that was edited last week --- sorry about the confusion, that was the info we got from the Legion a few months ago --- Line-up time 9:30 - Parade start 10:00 am.

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/news/2013/3/145th-annual-memorial-day-parade

trekster3 trekster3
May '13

Thanks - the calendar on the BID page still lists 9:00 line-up and 9:30 parade as of this morning.

Oh,, my bad --- sorry about that --- all gooder now :)

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/

trekster3 trekster3
May '13

I have gone out to pick up bagels for breakfast as early as 6:30 AM the day of the parade and have seen chairs lined up along the parade route. My family arrives around 9AM to get a good spot, but there are all the empty chairs "holding" their spots. This is so wrong. If you want a good spot, get there early and STAY!!!

Parade Fan Parade Fan
May '13

Only fifteen posts, and one complaint.

saladoil saladoil
May '13

I agree that the military should have top billing.

One thing that I have noticed over the last couple of years is that the Global Waste truck is before many of the other groups. I didn't think much of it as I realize that they are helping fight breast cancer which is clearly a worthy cause. What shot that all to pieces for me was when someone was handing out flyers for Global Waste to the spectators. Not the time nor place for that.

Promote Breast Cancer Awareness not your business interest.

summerhelp summerhelp
May '13

For any groups that want to participate in the parade but have not yet signed up, Don Hendershot was just on WRNJ saying they are still letting groups sign up! Just contact the American Legion in Hackettstown.

LOL@saladoil.

And to the complainer I say this. If you don't like that people get there that early and save spots with chairs, then you just have to get there before them and STAY!!!
Easy enough...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
May '13

Well Miss Lori...since'73, my family and I DO get there early and STAY. We are there at least an hour before the parade starts. I try to teach my children the right thing to do. When I make my 6:30 AM bagel run, I could put out my chairs to save spots for my family, go home, enjoy my breakfast and arrive just as the parade starts and we could take our seats. Would that be the right thing to do? In my opinion it is not and I don't want my children to feel it is. Considering all the issues people have to face in the world, this is so insignificant, I wasn't going to dignify your comment with a response. But then I decided that since you seem to think that behavior is acceptable, you are probably one of the people who do this. And I wanted to let you know what I think. I will not respond to anymore posts regarding this. As I said it's so insignificant , I don't want to turn it into a great debate. I've said my piece.
Enjoy the parade.

Parade Fan Parade Fan
May '13

Chairs without people are litter. Move them and move in. But please stand for our Veterans.

My son said random children can march in groups if they sign up. Is this correct? Who can I ask? Thanks!

becca becca
May '13

Re: Memorial day parade 2013

We'll have the best seat in the house! Enjoy the parade, thank a vet, be safe, and cover your ears when we march by.

27th Regt. New Jersey Volunteer Infantry Co F
Hackettstown's Local Civil War Living History Group

John C John C
May '13

Aw John C, we never hold our ears as you all go by..Love the sound and the smell of gunpowder! :)

reedfamilyrocks reedfamilyrocks
May '13

For questions, please contact Donald M. Hendershot - 908-852-1646

trekster3 trekster3
May '13

What is the start/approx ending time of the parade? I saw 10-12:30 somewhere and i wondered if that was accurate.

Thanks.

Sarahss Sarahss
May '13

Sarahss - Yes, that's accurate per the Legion yesterday.

thank you GC

Sarahss Sarahss
May '13

You couldn't be more wrong about what I do, Parade Fan. But as that seems to be the way of the world today the only way to beat them is to join them. If you choose not to, well then forever hold your peace. As it was pointed out, your gripe was the only one on an otherwise positive thread. If you must know my parade habits they are as follows; Arrive at parade, find an empty spot, sit and enjoy the parade. I also, as maja pointed out, stand for our veterans :)

Enjoy, everyone!

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
May '13

Here we are again another memorial day upon us most of you care more about having the three-day weekend than anything else some of you will go to a parade salute a flag clap as the soldiers walk by pretending for a little while anyway that you care about them because in the big picture most of you don't especially and yes I'm singling out Republicans tea partiers and conservatives who holler shout and cry about Second Amendment issues a woman's right to choose whether the president is a citizen or that the government is buying up all the bullets but could care less about any veteran or veterans issues some of you out there do but the mass majority could care less most of you will read this and get P-Oed because deep down you know it's true you would like to think you're different but you're not because for the most part only veterans and their families care about veterans issues here's a little test if you know who honey boo-boo is or grumpy the cat or can name a Kardashian but cannot name one soldier who has died this year in Afghanistan your part of the problem and don't blame the media all it takes is a few clicks of the mouse to learn about veterans issues but sad to say most of you could care less

oldred
May '13

Moving right along...

We have a friend here visiting from NY for the weekend, and we are very much looking forward to taking her to our town's parade. I think Htown does a very nice job of it.

Thank you to all our local veterans!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '13

Holy cow, that's a long sentence oldred...and sadly your message will be lost because you're rambling and classifying people!

tripsy tripsy
May '13

oldred - "Most of you?". Give people a whole lot more credit than that. Just look at the parade, it's people, the organizers, and everyone involved. I understand there may be some like you describe. But no need to over generalize.

You see GC your statement is exactly what I'm talking about. Just look what we've done for you for a couple hours. Really is that what a veteran is worth to you a couple hours and a parade. you can start first by electing representatives who care more about veterans. Then whether millionaires or big corporations get tax breaks. Or take their 34th vote to appeal Obama care so they look good to the folks back home. And it's obvious tripsy you know the name honey boo-boo. Sometimes the truth hurts there's no shame in it. Here's a little fact you might want to think about more soldiers are committing suicide than are dying in Afghanistan. Don't you think it's about time your representatives in Congress care more about that and do something then wonder if the president is a Muslim

oldred
May '13

oldred - Worth to me? All I want to know is how you already know? How do you know who volunteers their Friday nights? How do you know who collects for Sweats for Vets? How do you know who puts together packages to go down to Lyons? How do you know who voted for who? How do you know how much time and effort the people put into the parade that sure takes a whole heck of a lot more than two hours? How do you know who changes out all the vet flags?

I'll be the first one to say I'm not a vet. But if all you want to do is to say we should elect reps in Congress that honor our vets, then you can say it without putting anyone else down and saying your're sure no one cares. There are plenty of people out there that care and do a whole heck of a lot more than you give them credit for.

I notice most streets are closed, where to park??

Beachmimi Beachmimi
May '13

There is a previous thread from last year about where people park. But any of the public lots are open, they just fill up. I prefer the area around Kirstina Michelle on Plane Street because I often watch around Main & Plane. Around Shoprite Liquor if you want to watch at Main & Grand. Old Rite Aid to watch the ceremony at the Cemetery. There's a number of places.

Here's a little something special for Memorial Day. The National Cemetery at Fredericksburg VA. One candle for each Union Soldier killed in December 1862. The 27th Regt of New Jersey marched, fought and died in front of the stone wall at Maryre's Heights. In 20 minutes the casualty rate was 8000 men. The only difference between this war and others - It was American versus American. Let us remember all the American Soldiers that made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

John C John C
May '13

If you haven't yet gone down to the cemetery for the Memorial service after the parade, it is a very nice tribute to our veterans. It truly gives meaning to the day and it is another small town tradition that makes Hackettstown such a special place to live.

HackettstownMom
May '13

Oldred sounds very bitter to me. I have several family members in the military 3 right now in Afghanistan and 4 who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. One is a woman. That's not counting my father and Uncles who served in Vietnam. So you don't know me oldred. Your statement sounds so bitter.

Christine Christine
May '13

A simple question started this thread and somehow we end up having history classes.

Oldred, do not ASSume what others do/don't. You have NO idea so worry about yourself and not everyone else. You sound extremely bitter for whatever reason. Take your complaints to the venting thread because this thread is about our Holiday Parade. Not politics.

cindyrella cindyrella
May '13

parade was very nice - congrats to all who participated. Thanks to our vets. especially those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

skippy skippy
May '13

A big thanks to the vets, as well as the people responsible for honoring them today. A nice ceremony at the Cemetery as well.

There were soldiers.

Old soldiers

There were Musketeers.

And musket salutes.

(Hi John C!)

And a memorial to those fallen as it flows down the river.

oldred accusing others of knowing the name honey boo boo when they know it themselves. That's a hoot!

Firefly Firefly
May '13

Great job by all who marched in the parade today. It was a perfect day too! Just a little disappointed in many (especially teens and their parents) who were more concerned with grabbing candy from the younger kids and who didn't have the decency to stand or applaud those who serve or have served our country in some way or another.

just curious just curious
May '13

Fantastic parade as always....the little town with lots of heart!

oh, and the pre-parade chairs-- in our family, its because we have elderly persons who cannot push through the crowd last minute or cannot sit for 1.5 hours waiting...just an fyi-- don't judge. If anything, use your energy to politely educate the real ignoramouses who don't stand for the flag or vets.

Thanks, vets...and those serving today!

Gen3Townie Gen3Townie
May '13

Thanks to the parade organizers. A great job of the Boys Scouts from troops 158, 175 and 416. They not only knew how to properly march but were dressed properly also. As a past Girl Scout who remembers actually practicing for hours how to march in a line, even while turning street corners and being in proper uniform, I really appreciated seeing these three troops.

I do have one quesiton though. Who came up with the idea of throwing candy at parades? Todays youth probaly think that todays parade was to see how much candy they can get, instead of honoring those who died serving our country. Forget Trick or Treating, the kids near me at the parade probably have enough candy to last them two Halloweens from what they kept diving after into the street.

Magpie Magpie
May '13

If you were truly a Parade Fan you would know that early chair placement is an early American tradition followed across the land. In some places, they go out the night before with lock n chains. It is our culture, get over it.

Oh yeah --- and picnic baskets on tables.

And towels on the loungers at LOMB.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
May '13

Magpie, I was a Girl Scout years ago and like you we practiced before the parade to maintain straight lines and how to pivot on the corners. I remember being so proud when one parade I got to hold the flag in the front row of our Troop. I took notice of the Boy Scouts today as well...actually marching properly. My attention kept being diverted to one little boy, maybe 2 years old, who was more interested in darting into the street, a fire truck came close to him...while his parents were busy talking to others. And what about the candy being literally catapulated into the crowds...dangerous as a lollipop flew by my head. The parade organizers did a good job of varying the order of participating groups.....horses were noticeably absent.

OnlyChild OnlyChild
May '13

We saw horses. They were mini horses but horses.

A great parade and a family tradition in our house. Recognize this driver?

Christine Christine
May '13

What about that Community Band? They are always the best.

Christine Christine
May '13

Anyone else see the class of 1963? The tractor driver nearly flew them off there float. LOL!!

Christine Christine
May '13

Loved the parade and had a wonderful time..Gosh, who could want for better weather! So grateful that all of the fire trucks did not blare their sirens...Sorry, know that the kids love them, but I am old and my hearing reverberates everything, smile!

reedfamilyrocks reedfamilyrocks
May '13

Candy thrown at parades is what gets kids coming in the first place. "Emotional residue." You remember the parades of your youth - the candy which lured you there to begin with - and you associate the parade with good memories and want to relive them, and pass them onto your own children. I've never been to a parade where there wasn't candy thrown. Love it.

Challah Challah
May '13

Thanks for posting that picture, Christine....I had the honor of driving this year's Grand Marshall and when I turned the corner to go onto Main Street, I must admit I had tears running down my face in awe of all of the people lining the street to pay honor to our Veterans. A wonderful day!!

joyful joyful
May '13

My son and nephew loved the parade (they were there last year, but far too young to notice). I could not believe how much candy was thrown our way. Very glad that the boys still don't know what candy is. We were able to give it away without issue.

The Class of 63 was a trip. One woman asked the crowd if there were any HHS graduates. I raised my hand, and she asked what year. I told her, and I guess she wasn't expecting my answer. Still not sure if that means I look really young or really old for my age. ;)

Wonderful parade once again.

Was a great parade, the morons that decided to double park and block everyone in were not so appreciated.

Thank you Hackettstown for bringing 103 jars of peanut butter. St. James' Episcopal church feeds needy children in our area. We provide bag of food to every child every two weeks throughout the summer. Last year we served over 250 children.

Please join our volunteer group or donate. summerbackpack@gmail.com

Visit us on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/St-James-Episcopal-Church-Hackettstown/329738687070245?ref=tn_tnmn

ldeloreto ldeloreto
May '13

Thank you, parade organizers, for another wonderful parade! Our Daisy Troop, Troop 5658 in Allamuchy, was proud to be a part of it for the first time. The girls were all decked out in their red, white, and blue, and they learned a real sense of sharing and community, as they took turns holding our banner and shared candy to throw to the crowds. Maybe the real meaning of the parade was over their heads, but after all, they are only 6 and 7! The seeds of community, patriotism, and remembrance were still being planted in their minds. I talked with my daughters on the way to the parade about the reason we celebrate the day, and we talked about family members who served.

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
May '13

oldred-what are you talking about? Honey boo boo??? Out of left field.

tripsy tripsy
May '13

First, thank you to all veterans, for your service, sacrifices, and your family members' sacrifices.

Second, thank you all, for posting the great pictures here, and on Facebook. I loved looking at them. I remember being in the parade as a Girl Scout, and my brother as a Boy Scout, and ending at the cemetery for speechs and remembrances.

As for the chair holder discussion, anytime we are getting a spot for viewing, we either set-up the chairs or placeholders (jackets, blankets, bags etc.), one or more people stay at the seating area, and the other family members take the kids for snacks or the bathroom, or occupy them until shortly before the event. If we tried to keep our kids or grandkids confined to their viewing spot for a lengthy time, if would be a nightmare. I see nothing wrong with this. I wouldn't just leave the chairs, blanket, etc. alone, or I can see people moving, or "re-arranging" your chairs, or making off with your stuff, if no one is with your stuff.

If we go to the theatre, same thing. We will get our seats, and one or two of us will stay with the seats with the placeholders to show the seats are taken, and some family members will get the wiggles out of the kids before the show, get their snacks, bathroom break etc.

In some of the towns here, the pickup trucks are lined up parallel to the street along the parade off of the sidewalk in lots etc, along the route the night before in legal parking spots. Then in the morning, the viewers put their chairs in the pickup truck and enjoy the parade!

Peggy C. Peggy C.
May '13

From a parade marcher. Thank you all for the great response to the American Legion Color Guard. It was great to see everyone stand applaud. As Joyful said it is hard to not have tears. To the people who didn't stand Shame on you. To the young people who did I say thank you. Job Well Done.

Snowflake Snowflake
May '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.