Rave: Oregon Trail Cinnamon Raisin Bread

I eat cinnamon raisin bread once a year at most, so my review on this delicacy may not be quite as reliable as my ratings on burgers. That being said, if I could marry this bread, I would. My wife bought it at Sam's Club, and I had a piece (read: two pieces) lightly buttered with a cup of coffee Saturday morning. My taste buds exploded. It was by far the most substantial, most delicious cinnamon raisin bread to ever touch my lips. I highly recommend it. You will want to eat half the loaf in one sitting, but beware that each slice is 190 calories.

There are probably 75,000 recipes for cinnamon raisin bread that would blow Oregon Trail away. I for one will not be making my own any time soon, so I'll let OT do the baking. If you make your own, bless your baking heart. If you prefer the convenience of store-bought, plastic-wrapped, this is a bread you should try.

I love good raisin bread, CR37 and if it is anywhere as good as what they used to serve at Charlie Brown's I am going to get me some! Wondering if they sell it anywhere else other than Sam's Club?

Joyful Joyful
Feb '12

According to the website, "Oregon Trail Raisin Cinnamon Bread can currently be found in select BJ's Clubs and Sam's Clubs. Depending on your Sam's Club region it may be found in either a single bag or packed in a double bag."

It does not look like you can buy it online, either. However, they do have a form letter you can print out and hand to your local supermarket's manager. Not sure I'll go that far, as (to date) Oregon Trail is not paying me to market their products.

Thank you... now I really WANT some! Where do you live? ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '12

Someone told me that I might find the bread at Walmart as Sam's Club and WalMart are supposedly affiliated with each other. Think I will check Walmart. I am not a member of Sam's Club and dropped my membership at BJs. I am like Rebecka.. if all else fails...better lock your door!

Joyful Joyful
Feb '12

I LOVE that bread!! I bought mine at Shop Rite in Washington!!! I don't know if they have it at Mansfield or Newton Shop Rites, I haven't checked. Walmart also has a delicious apple cinnamon bread, Grandpa's comes to mind. I found it at the Stroudsburg SUPER WM. Yummm.

Amommy Amommy
Feb '12

I have been enjoying the Archer Farms Brand at Target, raisin bread. LOVELY. And I never EVER check the calories first ;)

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Feb '12

Update - my wife has Grandpa's Kitchen at the house, as she got nervous we would be out of CRB by mid week (and we would have been). Looking forward to giving it a shot.

Candidly, I have not had enough cinnamon raisin bread to know of other quality brands I should be trying. I know that Pepperidge Farm is okay at best, but that would be the extent of my CRB knowledge until now. I am open to trying new kinds, so I will be making a run to Target over the next couple weeks.

Rebecka/Joyful - I may set up a taste testing, at which point I will let you know my exact address. My wife needs to sign off on this, and my son needs to give his blessing in the form of getting a full night's sleep. DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH!

Considering a name change to CRB37.

Update 2: had Grandpa's Oven CRB this morning. Tasty, but not close to Oregon Trail. I will say that I shoved it in my pie hole as I ran out the door, so that may have affected my perception. It was not as dense as OT, but most definitely had a substantial distribution of raisin and cinnamon swirl. The slices are thinner as well, causing more of the bread to be toasted. With OT CRB, you get a nice crunch that reveals a soft warm center. The subtle change in texture creates a surprising depth of flavor.

Off to Sams Club for more!

CR 37 I thought I was bored waiting for spring to get here , but you better get professional help with your Raisin bread fixation

eapos eapos
Feb '12

eapos - Add raisin bread to the list of things I need professional help for. But let me tell you, try it, and you will NOT be disappointed.

somebody check out Walmart and Shoprite Mansfield for the Oregon Trail Raisin Bread and please let us all know. I love raisin bread. And then don't forget the warmed icing dribbled along the top of it. Anyone hungry? :~)

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Feb '12

I looked around town. Can't seem to find this raisin bread. Has anyone been able to locate it other than Sam's Club?
What dept. did you find it in the Washington SHoprite? Thanks.

Mar '12

Well... the wife was at Sams C.. and I asked her to see if they had that Oregon Raisin Bread..

Well... she brought a loaf home...

Sorry to say... It is not the kind of bread to have on hand in this house.

That bread weighed 2 pounds... And And And..it was L O A D E D with Raisins!

Not over cinnamon.. and it IS..most definetely..the Best Raisin Bread I have ever eaten.

The problem is... Every time I think of it...I have to drop a slice in the toaster, and then the good part; and my favorite, just taking Wads of Butter, and spreading it all over that glorious bread slice.

There are so many raisins in each slice...that they fall out in my plate, and they are the after pickins that I love to clean up!

embryodad embryodad
Mar '12

Good to know this, embryodad! ;) LOL....Save me a piece.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Mar '12

I don't belong to Sams club. I would like to buy it in town. Has anyone seen it in town?

Mar '12

Next outing....to Sam's Club!!

acl76 acl76
Mar '12

@Wild Angel...[Quote :Good to know this, embryodad! ;) LOL....Save me a piece.]

Better hurry up...cuz it's very tempting and very hard not to grab a slice every now and then!...
The loaf is shrinking!........ My @$$ is swelling!

embryodad embryodad
Mar '12

embryodad, this might be a stretch, but you could try putting the loaf in the freezer and only take out what you need. That way you won't feel compelled to eat it all at once. Outta sight - outta mind!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '12

I have half a loaf in my freezer. It is taking all of my will power not to eat frozen raisin bread. I would.

Update on that darn raisin bread...

I wish I never saw this about that bread... L O L

I just had TWO slices...toasted, and with Mounds of chilled whipped salted butter on top each slice; only applying the butter after the toasted bread cooled a little, so the butter would not melt.

UMmmmmm... That first bite through the butter, and then the sweetness of the raisins....then after chewing a little..the flavor of the cinnamon erupts as a wonderful aroma.

Again...Thanks to CR37 for the original post about this bread!

I never thought I would have a Raisin bread Addiction!

embryodad embryodad
Mar '12

Embryodad....Savor that bread till the next Sams run. LOL ;)

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Mar '12

Re: Rave: Oregon Trail Cinnamon Raisin Bread

Since I belong to Sam's, I decided to give it a try and am now hooked also. I had a brunch this morning and made apple/raisin bread pudding with it and it really took it to a whole new level!

lola that looks amazing..Will you share your recipe?

Firefly Firefly
Apr '12

lola,

what time is dessert?

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Apr '12

lola- that looks incredible. I can smell it here in my office in Parsippany... or perhaps I am just that hungry.
CR37- You are probably the only person I know who can draw so much interest and intrigue to cinnamon raisin bread... or CRB as you so lovingly call it. Now- the question is.. have you blogged to Ryan about the wonders of CRB?

katievits24 katievits24
Apr '12

I'll be heading over to Sam's Club soon. It's been on my mind since I first read the post. I have checked ShopRite - Mansfield and they don't have it.

Jackie Jackie
Apr '12

katievits24 - Great point. Off to Tumblr...

Lola - You are killing me. I have been able to avoid OTCRB for nearly two weeks. Now I have to stop at Sam's Club for 436362456734573456734523452345 more loaves. I want to swim in OT apple/raisin bread pudding like Scrooge McDuck swims through gold coins!

It really was incredible! The recipe can be found on allrecipes.com (Apple/raisin French toast strata). The good news is that it only called for 1/2 loaf, so I can still enjoy the other 1/2 toasted & buttered!
Sorry, Lori...none left over for dessert.
CR37: I would suggesting baking it in a deeper dish.

Lola. I did not even think of showing my hubby your raisin bread pudding. He would have flipped as one of his favorites is good bread pudding. Now, I might...just might...copy that recipe and try to make it for him some day...just not right now!!!

Joyful Joyful
Apr '12

I have to pick some up next time I'm at Sams. I bet it would make good French toast.

Joe M Joe M
Apr '12

Joe: I made that too. It was. I'm out of control.

Still haven't been able to find OTCRB locally, but Tuesday was at Washington Shop Rite and they were out of Pepridge Farm cinnamon swirl raisin bread. I had to reluctantly go with "Amazin Raisin Bread". We just opened the loaf yesterday morning and by evening it was gone! It is delicious! We have converted to Amazin
Raisin Bread for at least until we can find Oregon Trail Cinnamon Raisin bread...

Spring Fever
May '12

Spring Fever - it is a product made exclusively for Sam's Club. It might be at WalMart eventually, but so far, only Sam's Club has the honor of spreading the CRB joy!

I checked at Walmart today and it wasn't on the shelves.

Spring Fever
May '12

I would try Sam's Club. They sell it exclusively.

They leave us no choice!

Spring Fever
May '12

There is a raisin bread over at the mansfield shoprite called Papa's raisin bread or something of the sort. It was located over in the bakery section. There was one loaf left and i picked it up. You might want to check it out. It was located in one of the wooden bins and not along the wall with the other breads.

May '12

Well, time to start shopping for bigger clothes. My wife and I had been occasionally getting a loaf of OTCRB from my mother-in-law, but yesterday we actually joined Sam's Club. As I write this, I am chewing on my second piece of bread. Luckily (or stupidly, depending upon your perspective) we only purchased one loaf.

My daughter is studying the Oregon Trail at school, so when I saw this bread at Sam's, I had to bring home a loaf of the CRB. Does anyone know why the bread company is named Oregon Trail? I thought maybe she could take the CRB in to share w/ her History class, but it would be fun to know if there is some backstory or connection. Thanks, all!

Barbara
Mar '13

Interesting website about the company that makes it, located where else but Portland, Oregon...for your reading pleasure

http://franzbakery.com/about-franz/100-years-baking

Bessie Bessie
Mar '13

OMG!!!! This is by far THE BEST cinnamon raisin bread i have EVER tasted. I am OBSESSED with this stuff. Damn the calories..i couldn't care less. and no...it isn't available in any Wal-Mart that i have looked for it in....Pepperidge Farm has a really good one too-it USED to be my favorite....

Christine Wagggoner Christine Wagggoner
Apr '13

I have to concede that it is quite possible we have all been hypnotized or taken over by some evil cinnamon spirit!!! HOWEVER, I have read not one tiny mention of the fact that this bread contains VANILLA!!!!! I honestly believe it is at least part of the "secret ingredient" that has captured each of us!!! LORD SAVE US FROM OURSELVES!!!

genie hunter genie hunter
Apr '13

I am seriously addicted to the Cinnamon Raisin bread as well, and had been purchasing at BJ's wholesale club. Now they seem to no longer stock it.
I have searched multiple store locations with no luck.
I am in Maryland, anyone know where you can still find it?
I think I am going thru withdrawl

Laura 123
Apr '13

If you go on the Oregon Trail website, they have a letter you can print out and give to your local food stores requesting them to stock Oregon Trail Cinnamon Raisin Bread.

I haven't gone that far yet, but if enough people went to the same store and gave them the letter, maybe they would start to regularly stock it.

I have never tasted it yet and am debating whether to even start. I don't need another vice...

Spring Fever
Apr '13

Why isn't Sams selling this any more? How can we get it? Please help!

Ann Gordy Ann Gordy
Aug '13

Ann they are as far as I know. My neighbor just gave me a loaf Monday...its almost gone already. WOW is that stuff yummy!!!!

I've been seeing it on a rack right at the front of the bakery section. I didn't look the last time I was there, but I've seen it other times this month.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

You guys are killing me with your very descriptive accounts of this raisin bread!

I'm not a member of Sam's Club. I shop at Walmart and Shoprite, can I find it in either one of these places?

positive positive
Aug '13

It really is the absolute BEST raisin bread EVER! I used to purchase it at BJ's, but cannot find it there any longer, even though their site, when I found one about 10 years ago, said BJ's carried it. I recently checked for a website, but was unable to find one for Oregon Trail, so I contacted franzbakery.com because it was suggested in one of the other comments. I'm very interested in finding out where people have found Oregon Trail's raisin bread!!!!

Michele Service Michele Service
Jan '14

I just knocked off two toasted slices!!! It is sold at Sams Club in Mt.Olive.

This was the reply to my message to Franz Bakeries:
"Michele--I am with Customer Compliance at Franz Family Bakeries and am responding to your e-mail of today regarding Oregon Trail Raisin Bread. Thank you for your inquiry. This bread is a licensed product of Cargill Integrated Bakery Resources and is not made by Franz Bakeries. You might be able to find more information about Oregon Trail Raisin Bread on the Cargill website (www.bread.com).

Thank you for your interest and good luck in your search.

Sue Donohue
Customer Compliance
Franz Family Bakeries"

Michele Service Michele Service
Jan '14

This bread is the best I have ever eaten and is also quite addicting! It is a wonderful thing to eat in the dead of Winter and is worth the extra exercise that will be required to work off those extra pounds! :)

LeoLady LeoLady
Jan '14

I just bought a loaf from Sams club in Mt Olive. It is filled with raisins and very tasty. Well worth the money.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Jan '14

I made french toast with some last week. Holy smokes was it good.

Our SAMs Club has stopped carrying this. Am looking for a recipe to make it. Any suggestions?

Sharno Sharno
Jul '16

They sell it at Weis in Mansfield

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '16

So happy to see this thread pop up. Brings back great memories! Looks like I have a reason to go to Weis beyond their CoinStar!

Glad it helped someone, CR37. I don't think a Weis is going to be a big help in where the questions came from in Michigan though.

I've been eating Oregon Trail cinnamon raisin bread for about 5 years. During the last year or so I've noticed that it began to change for the worst, like all other products cost cutting methods of today (smaller size, fewer raisins, air holes not as moist, etc.), but it was still better than the other brands. I recently bought extra loaves because it freezes well, but the taste is completely different. Has anyone else noticed this. I don't want to give up on this as I've had to do with so many other food products over the past few years.

Tommy
Nov '16

I too found out about OT raisin bread. They used to sell it in Budd Lake, NJ Sam’s club
I have since moved, and happy to say they have it in Michigan. Yea! I have multiple loaves in my freezer. My sisters friend had a slice when she visited. I’m now buying it it and stocking my freezer, she’s coming back
And wants to HAUL a bunch home with her.
The best!!! Btw I heard the Sam’s in Budd Lake closed. Everyone should come and visit.
My Sam’s still has it. Portage Mi

You can order it at Walmart.com an pick
Up the order at your local WM. Doing that as we speak...

Susie Q Susie Q
Oct '18

Just ordered from Walmart!

Momof6 Momof6
Oct '18

The best raisin bread ever! Only have found it at Sams club but going to try Shoprite in Southbury, ct. jean k.

Jean k. Jean k.
May '20

Only place I've ever found it is at Sam's Club. Moved down to VA about 6 years ago, and they didn't have it. But I asked and they started carrying it. It is the BEST!

Martha Martha
May '20

LOVE it when the OTCRB thread pops back up! I hope you are all doing well.

They did have something similar at Tranquility Farms the other day. An apple cinnamon bread and it was lightly frosted. It looked amazing.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '20

Besides the Divine cinnamon bread, they make an Apple Danish Bread that will is scrumptious; Sam's no carries it in our store. Anybody seen it or have a copycat recipe. I am finding nothing.

Jennifer Olson Jennifer Olson
Aug '20

Hello, my mom likes to eat your oregon raisin bread. But, where we live we cannot find it to buy. On Amazon it is priced to high for us to buy. We live in Stafford, Tx. We used to buy it at Sam's club but they do not sell it anymore. We are on a fixed income so we cannot afford the price on Amazon. There price is $27.99 for two loaves and $64.99 for 6, which comes to be $13.00 a loave. Can you please tell me where I can buy the bread from our area? Thank You

Joann Bowman Joann Bowman
Aug '22

Joann,
This is a forum where people talk about different topics & I guess this bread was a topic of discussion. You cannot buy it from this forum. Good luck finding it!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.