how to fight an ordinance

It has not gone into effect but there is an ordinance that will be voted upon that will prevent people from having chickens or any other type of farm animal. This isn't good news for some people that rely on the meat and eggs from their animals. How would someone fight it?

thepower
Nov '21

The ordinance 2021-14 I think it is, places a minimum lot size requirement in order to have certain animals on the property it does not ban these types of animals outright. It is being implemented so someone with a yard that is clearly inadequate in size to properly house chickens, goats, swine, etc does not do so in what will certainly not be the best conditions.. Lets face it folks having these types of animals in a small residential yard is not doing it to rely on for "meat and eggs" with the exception of some eggs and maybe a chicken on occasion. These are pets. Any person or family that is relying on certain farm animals for sustenance would need a larger properly equipped area complete with adequate outbuildings , water etc. Not in the middle of a neighborhood with less than 30 feet between homes.

In my opinion of course.

With that said, attend the next council meeting or when it is on the agenda for public discussion.

https://www.hackettstown.net/

"Lets face it folks having these types of animals in a small residential yard is not doing it to rely on for "meat and eggs" with the exception of some eggs and maybe a chicken on occasion. These are pets. Any person or family that is relying on certain farm animals for sustenance would need a larger properly equipped area complete with adequate outbuildings , water etc. Not in the middle of a neighborhood with less than 30 feet between homes."

That's not an opinion, it's an assumption.

Of course an opinion is based on assumptions. But it's an accurate statement either way.

Government overstepping as usual.

GWliberty GWliberty
Nov '21

It turns out that ordinance is no longer 2021-14. That is being introduced tonight establishing the BID 2022 budget. The copy hanging in the lobby of the municipal building is still a draft therefore a hard copy is not available yet. It will be renumbered when ready. While it is not listed on the agenda for tonight's Council meeting, one can certainly attend and during the discussion by citizens, inquire.

A) the Town Council Meeting is tonight at 7pm due to Veterans Day on Thursday
B) the Ordinance is being introduced and then will have 30 days for the public to view it and have public comment.
C) the ordinance does not say anything about chickens

"a. The keeping of any horse, cattle, pig, or rooster shall be prohibited on any lot in Hackettstown of less than two (2) acres."

D) this is just for Hackettstown, not for those that have Hackettstown mailing addresses but live in other towns.
E) and FYI Greg it Ordinance 2021-15

Jim L. Jim L.
Nov '21

Don't like a proposed ordinance?

1. Write/email to the members with your objections
2. Show up to the meeting when they have the public comment and voice your objections
3. Get others with objections to do the same

About time an ordinance like this was acted on. On small lots, people should not have horses, cattle, pigs, etc. These types of animals belong on farms and not on small residential lots. Just my opinion.

Richie
Nov '21

Ummm
Jim L

A Rooster is a chicken

Bug3
Nov '21

chicken hens are permitted. there Bug3, happy?

Jim L. Jim L.
Nov '21

I may be wrong, but I heard people have "pets" like this not only for the eggs/meat/milk/etc., but they get some type of tax deduction....

In a neighborhood where lots are small roosters are horrible. If it was in your area, would you want to hear that all day and also bright and early?!

Sport
Nov '21

Re: how to fight an ordinance

Thanks, Jim. I did notice it was specific regarding roosters. Hopefully the proposed ordinance presented will include goats and sheep as well. The yoga/goat fad has created an interest in owning a goat lately it seems.

Roosters can be quite difficult. This guy has been harassing the barnyard dog for years.....

the ordinance was introduced last night with input from the members of the public. It will be on the town website and then have public comment at the Dec meeting before final adoption.

Jim L Jim L
Nov '21

It was productive dialogue regarding the ordinance. Lots of chicken talk.... LOL.

Could someone please share the link to the meeting minutes? I checked the town website under mayor & town council minutes but only finding older meetings there. Thanks!

hktownie hktownie
Nov '21

https://www.hackettstown.net/node/219/minutes

This link has council minutes dating back to 2017. The last posted minutes for this year seem to be the August 12th meeting. Minutes usually get updated when they are approved at the subsequent meeting. In this case they are a bit behind. In the past I have called to inquire about updated minutes and they are typically uploaded within a day or so.

The minutes of the meeting are not posted until they are approved at the following meeting. So if you are looking for the minutes of the meeting from last week you won’t find them yet

Jim L Jim L
Nov '21

https://www.hackettstown.net/

the proposed ordinance is on the town homepage

Jim L. Jim L.
Nov '21

I live in the College View section and I know there is one house on College View that has a rooster and there is one on Grand Ave.

I can see an issue with smell bothering people especially on a small plot with th animals listed. I can hear both roosters at my house from those properties so I'm sure those living closer can really hear them.

Some people are grandfathered in that is what the zoning officer told me.

pampurr pampurr
Nov '21

Only until the animal expires or is otherwise no longer on the property. Once gone, it cannot be replaced. That is how I understand it. Frankly that is how it should be in my opinion.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: how to fight an ordinance
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.