Any Optimum Cable Users Buy Your Own Modem?

For those using Optimum cable has anyone bought their own modem? I was looking to stop the rental charge and get better equipment but wanted to hear from people who did this first.

My concerns would be finding the proper models and dealing with any future issues that come up where Optimum could blame the equipment since it is not theirs (I already have my own router).

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Sep '20

We did but it seems only the same brand works if you still have a landline...learnedthat the hard way

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '20

If the rental fee is $10 a month like it is with comcast..the savings alone is well worth the headache

Bug3
Sep '20

Yep I own the same Motorola model Comcast rapes you for. I also ditched all my boxes for Roku I now have no rental equipment from the monopoly.

Steve Steve
Sep '20

Just go onto the Optimum website & they have the recommended model #'s that can be used. You can then go onto Amazon & look them up & then buy it. Definitely worth it!

Got my own with Comcast. Super easy as they have a list on the web site of the ones that work.

Sacks cousin
Sep '20

Optimum is available in my area now. Can anyone give feedback on Optimum compared to Xfinity? Speed, service etc. thanks!

hktownie hktownie
Dec '21

Don’t rent … buy one you will safe money… you might only need to get a new one every 5 years give or take a year …

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Jan '22

I can sell you mine, I moved and don't need anymore.
Dave

bflat4u bflat4u
Jan '22

My optimum speed is the same as it always was, even though they charge more for the 'high speed'. Yeah, riiiight.

DogDayAfternoon
Jan '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Any Optimum Cable Users Buy Your Own Modem?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.