1980's campground near Gibbs Pond?

When I was a kid my grandparents took us many summers to a campground in Hackettstown. It was near a big pond. The campground was run by an older couple with giant standard poodles... They had RV sites and maybe some tent sites,,, It was such a great memory for me and my brother.. Does anyone know the name of that place? I am really thinking it is no longer there but looking for some nostalgia... THANKS!

Allison Allison
Aug '20

Owned by Harold Gibbs? Maybe Tranquility area

Allison Allison
Aug '20

I think there is one like that up 46 in knowlton twp..its a KOA...might also be up 517 thru green and andover...lots of RV parks up that way around Newton

Bug3
Aug '20

It was Tranquility Campground owned by Harold Gibbs. The pond was on his farm across the street. The camp was on the corner of Kenny Road and Quaker Road. The nice couple that ran it were the Hansens. His first name maybe was Ed. The campground is long gone. My wife and I would camp there on weekends in the winter.

David Fryer David Fryer
Aug '20

There was a campground in Tranquility on Quaker road, but it didn't have a large pond, so maybe that's not it.

Peter Peter
Aug '20

Thank you David Fryer!!! Mystery solved... It was such a great place.... Thank you so much for replying!

Allison Allison
Aug '20

That’s so cool , thanks for sharing

Funny Funny
Aug '20

Glad to help solve the mystery Allison. I'm still trying to remember Mr. Hansen's first name.

David Fryer David Fryer
Aug '20

I think we used to camp there with my grandparents when I was small. The pond was down the road just a bit and across from the camp ground I think?

hktownie hktownie
Sep '20

David I do think it was Ed... you came up the hill and at the top was their trailer- ( and those poodles lol) Was his wife's' name Lou or Louise??? And if you camped there enough you would also remember that there were several peacocks that used to roam around!

Allison Allison
Sep '20

My folks kept a large trailer at the top of the road by the showers.. Spent many summers there.

Paul Slattery Paul Slattery
Aug '23

Could it have been Camp Goodland?

The Man The Man
Aug '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: 1980's campground near Gibbs Pond?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.