What is going on at RDJ Shell Station In Great Meadows.

Went by RDJ Shell Station in Great Meadows today all the gas pumps were blocked off and shut down.A large excavator is parked near the station building.

Zipp
Jun '20

Sounds like underground tank upgrades or replacements if I had to guess

The R The R
Jun '20

Sadly, Roy Sargeant, owner, passed away this weekend.

Golf Gal Golf Gal
Jun '20

R.I.P. Roy

Indie Indie
Jun '20

Oh no. I am so sad to hear this news. RIP Mr. Sargeant. I'm bummed he was the best.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '20

Very sad to hear of the passing of Mr. Sargeant.When I stopped in the station he was good to talk with.He liked to talk about the history of the Great Meadows and Vienna area.He would also talk about playing football on Chot Morrison's Hackettstown High School Championship teams.My condolences to his family.

Zipp
Jun '20

There is a big sign saying pump/ tank remodeling

Bug3
Jun '20

Thanks are being replaced. Mrs. Sargeant told me that she hopes to have the store opened next Tuesday, if I remember correctly.

magpie magpie
Jun '20

Roy was a great person to talk with. Always willing to have a conversation and very knowledgeable about the history of the area. He's one of those people that are so a part of the community its like a building being removed. He will always be remembered by his friends. My sincere condolences to his family.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Jun '20

RIP Roy. I did not know you personally but your store and station are icons to the Great Meadows/Independence community.

Big Al Big Al
Jun '20

In 1993 I bought a new F-150 at Kneckle Ford in Hackettstown. My salesman was Roy Sargeant. Would that be the same man? He was very nice and very helpful.

Walker Walker
Jun '20

That would have been his son

Bug3
Jun '20

Thank you!

Walker Walker
Jun '20

The deli is back open at RDJ.All other construction work seems to have ceased.

Zipp
Jun '20

Re: What is going on at RDJ Shell Station In Great Meadows.

Looks like all the concrete around the pumps has been removed. A tank inspection company is there today, I would guess in preparation for some sort of installation for a new system, either with the pumps or the tanks.I am thinking something with the pumps, as the tanks are over to the far right of the property, not where they dug up.

Also, too bad for the guys working there to lose their jobs during an already rough economic time. Most seemed like they were there for a long time and seemed to enjoy working there.

I wonder if this job was on the radar before the owner passed away.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jun '20

I like going there. I don't know why. Friendly, talkative faces might be it. I know it's not the selections, so I think I stop when I can to keep it local and chit chat. I like personal service I guess. I am so, so sorry to hear he passed away. He will definitely be missed.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '20

Good Afternoon,
I would like to answer a few questions being posted about RDJ's. As many of you all know, my dad unexpectedly passed away last week. He was a wonderful, hard working, father, husband and grandfather. He lived in Great Meadows his entire life.

As you can see, Roy's wish was to remodel the gas station with new tanks and pumps to better service his customers. This project has been in the works for over a year. It's very sad that he passed just before the start of the project. But rest assured, I'm videoing it and showing him in heaven. I'm sure he is looking down.

His employees are being taken care of. They did not lose their jobs. You may stop in and see them very busy cleaning and working in the deli.

The deli will remain open for limited hours during the 7 week gas station project.

Thank you all for your well wishes and sharing many memories of my dad over the past week.

Best wishes,
Judy Williams

Judy WIlliams Judy WIlliams
Jun '20

Does anyone know when the pumps expect to reopen?

Lisa wein Lisa wein
Jun '20

Looks like they are now totally immersed in the project, all pumps are moved to the side of the lot, everything is dug up. I am going to guess another 2 weeks, but only a guess.

Jun '20

Looks like the RDJ Shell station is now completely torn down.

Zipp
Jul '20

Kozimors must be loving this...

Mervin
Jul '20

RIP Roy. The hardest working man in Great Meadows. If you never got a chance to meet Roy you missed out on words of wisdom and a good laugh.

Scott Loguidice
Jul '20

RIP ROY HE was my uncle hobs brother

CAGED ANIMAL CAGED ANIMAL
Aug '20

Looks like kozimor is down.

The OP
Oct '20

This has got to be the longest 7 week gas station project ever

Bug3
Oct '20

RDJ seems to be moving forward to completion. Kozimors was just demolished.Kozimors is getting rebuilt too.

Zipp
Oct '20

Are they open? I hate to waste a trip and I always liked it there, though, so.
Thanks.

DogDayAfternoon
Nov '20

Not open yet but getting very close

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Nov '20

Thank you, LibertyThinker. I appreciate it.

DogDayAfternoon
Nov '20

It really looks great. Looking forward to them opening

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Nov '20

They are reopening tomorrow as for what the sign that I saw out front said

Superchefsgirl Superchefsgirl
Dec '20

Great to hear the fuel pumps will be back open at RDJ soon.I will miss seeing Mr. Sargeant at the station.

Zipp
Dec '20

Back in business, today is the reopening. Good to see the folks that worked the pumps are still there, they are true pros.

Down at Kozimors, currently it is a big hole in the ground, but there is an active crew there. I estimate at least another month before they see a reopen, probably more if bad weather.

Dec '20

We would first like to thank the entire community for your patience during this tank renovation project. The RDJ Service Center Team could not be more excited, and thankful to be servicing the community again as we have over the past 30+ years.

Thank you to each and everyone of you for your loyalty to our station, and we look forward to seeing you soon!

UPDATED HOURS due to wind delaying canopy light install:

--TODAY, 12/2: Open until 4:30 PM
--12/3/2020 7:00 AM until 7:00 PM

Thank you for your patience as we put the finishing touches on this project!

Thank you,

RDJ Service Center Team

RDJ Service Operator RDJ Service Operator
Dec '20

Is RDJ under new management? Stopped in for milk, the place looked different inside, out of milk. The refrigerator was mostly empty. The lady who is usually there was not.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Apr '21

LD- yes it is. There was an ad for employment a few weeks back in the classifieds. It stated in the ad they were under new management.

Too bad. The lady was so friendly there and I loved stopping in. Also, yes, there was an ad for it a while back and it was the longest ad ever for working in a convenience store. LOL.

DogDayAfternoon
Apr '21

I did notice the gentlemen that run the gas pumps are still the same, so that part was good. Here is a pic of the sign they have posted, gives some details on who the new owners are.

Apr '21

So the "new management" is the grandson taking over?

Wow coached him in little league, yikes time flys

Had Enough Had Enough
Apr '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.