Mountain LION

an 80+ lb long tailed cat just ran In front of my car on 46 in great meadows. Extremely fast! Happen to anyone else in this area?

Lions mane Lions mane
May '20

Saw something very similar in Long Valley about 2 weeks back at dusk. Very long tail, tan in color and much much larger then a bob cat. Literally depicted what would be a mountain lion.

Jason Jason
May '20

when I see a real photo......

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

Re: Mountain LION

206 yesterday in Andover

Roadbiker2011 Roadbiker2011
May '20

That unfortunate critter appears to be a bobcat.

Courtney1 Courtney1
May '20

That would be a bobcat, Roadbiker.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '20

bobcat sadly

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

What a beautiful animal. The poor guy.....

Positive Positive
May '20

Yeah I figured it was

Roadbiker2011 Roadbiker2011
May '20

On Alphano rd about 3 years ago , definitely mountain lion

I had one in my yard in vasa park about six years ago? I know I know.. Pics or it didn't happen. But a full bright flashlight on its face and head told me it wasn't a bobcat... It took off.. Was apparently hunting a house cat which dropped down from a tree and scared the bejeezus out of me.. My neighbor was outside in his yard and saw something very large run past him. I heard the mountain lion screams and calls in the evening in the week before and week after..

Seriously people.. Get a picture. We can own this one!

Ser positivo Ser positivo
May '20

Sorry fluffy got out recently - he is back home and won’t bother anyone anymore ... sorry for any panic this may have caused ... maybe next time get a picture so I can validate it was fluffy and not one of the other dozen on mountain lions living in your imagination

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
May '20

"one of the other dozen on mountain lions living in your imagination"

HAHAHAHA! I nearly spit out my coffee! And yeah, I agree 100%. I spend most of my work day in the woods of Warren, Sussex, Morris, Hunterdon, and a bit of Passaic counties (don't ask, but yes it's my job), and have never seen a mountain lion or any evidence of such. 36 years at my current job, and no tracks, no scat, nothing. If they were here, there would be evidence other than people "thinking" they've seen one.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
May '20

@ Rob - I am also in woods all time as a hunter and a true forest lover and never have I seen one caught one on a trail cam or a foot print - scat - evidence of a kill they might done ... nothing .... Maybe those who think they saw should got directly to a eye doctor and have far distance sight checked out ....

May '20

I was on Brass Castle Road heading towards Belvidere a few months ago and also saw a large cat dash across the road. Came to the conclusion that it was a big bob cat. I have been driving that road everyday 4x a day for 15 years, never saw one before. Was pretty cool.

Great story thanks for sharing, bobcats are rare but to reside in NJ - I hope to see one someday but even with all my time in woods all that I have spotted that is rare is a NJ mink it was pretty cool looking...

May '20

maybe one someone had a mountain lion cub as a pet and when it got too big and was no longer a cute little cub they released it in the woods. Like flushing a baby alligator down a toilet and it is now living in the sewers

Jimt1058
May '20

Oh that was fluffy then - she got out a few days ago she is home safe now ... she got out by mistake sorry she will never get out again .... (come on really) no mountain lions are in NJ

May '20

Last year I heard some strange screaming sounds in the woods behind my
house in Great Meadows. The only thing I could imagine was a mountain
lion. But a more informed friend clued me in that a fox makes a screaming
sound sometimes. It's a really spooky sounds to hear at night outside your
house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NuhlibHsM

Jim Beckman

James Beckman James Beckman
May '20

There existence has always been a legend that they were near Jenny Jump mountain. We did see a red Fox cross the Budd Lake bagel intersection at 4:30 pm Tuesday while waiting for the light to change.

Robert J Rowe Robert J Rowe
May '20

yes we have red foxes, bobcats, coyotes, and the usual run of mammals- deer, raccoons and more

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

I leave between 5:45 and 6:00 am to go to work and as I am heading up on Drakestown Road, near the nudist colony for those who know. I usually have at least 1 or more fox(es) run in front of me at least 1 time during a week. Years ago I did see a Coyote on the corner of Powhattan and Mine hill rd. More bear than I can count. What I miss is the bats at night. Have only seen 1 in the sky for the last 5 years. Saw my bat this past weekend.

Pics of this mountain lion please

I had a red fox come up on my deck a few months ago.

Fox, bobcat, and coyotes are abundant. Besides seeing them with my own eyes, I've seen evidence of all. Mountain lions. No. One was found dead on the side of the road on I-84 in CT a few years ago. It was determined that it was a pet that got loose. Prove me wrong. Not by anecdotal evidence, but by photos.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
May '20

I'm in the woods alot hunting, and have trail cams. I never have seen or gotten pics of coyotes. The are here for sure but since I never saw or got pics does that mean they aren't? Just food for thought and now let the comments rip :<)

Justpassinthru
May '20

@justpassinthru just dropped the mic !!!

Lions mane Lions mane
May '20

https://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/2014/01/new_jersey_wildlife_bobcat_njs.html

There are so many of these pieces, people, and agencies poo-pooinng the Mountain Lion in NJ myth EXCEPT for an occasional pet/zoo version getting loose.

Coyotes on the other hand are seen, heard, photographed often. Here's a pick and a story: https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/coyote_info.htm

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '20

I've seen coyotes - including some brought into rescue because of injury or illness such as mange.....................

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

Well, now dat I thin aboot it; I live on a mountain and many here say I’m a lion all da time. At least that’s what I here.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '20

There are thousands of trail cameras in use all over in northern NJ used by hunters, wildlife watchers, and homeowners for surveillance, and ring doorbell and yard cameras for homeowners and business.

There has never been a confirmed or even published picture of a mountain lion in NJ....just sayin'

2 cents
May '20

Truth 2cents

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

Every single time a biologist has investigated, except the one up in CT, the claim has been disputed. Almost always either a bobcat or a coyote. Feel free to believe you saw one, but I for one think you probably did not. If there was a definitive long tail, coyote, if just a cat like silhouette probably a bobcat. If you are really intrigued, go back to the spot and take a picture of the track.

Agust Agust
May '20

Here you go...Read the bottom corner

PREDATOR PREDATOR
May '20

Predator - You do know that's picture is a fake, right?? That greenish mask is pretty amateur, the picture is pretty well known and came from out west. You can just Google "Mountian lion is a unit" to find lots of copies of it.

GC are you suggesting there are untruths on the internet??! LOL

Here is that photo attributed to be in Canada this time around.

https://www.reddit.com/r/natureismetal/comments/fgalm9/this_absolute_beast_of_a_mountain_lion_from_a/

GC...Now I do... Thanks....So I guess the Bigfoot pictures are fake also ?

PREDATOR PREDATOR
May '20

I heard his name is Darryl

Joe M Joe M
May '20

Preadator - Nonsense. Bigfoot is on 100% pure unadulterated Alternative News stations. What could POSSIBLY be wrong???

Oh you got a picture of fluffy .... he is such a big boy and really friendly .... he is home now so you rest at night ....

May '20

I know his other brother Darryl.

May '20

I don’t know how much truth there is to this but a friend of mine, who is a hunter, lived in my condo before me. A few weeks after I moved in I saw a crazy “scuffle” in the bushes right outside of my house on the nature trail. It was really big and loud and looked and sounded like a big cat. He confirmed that he’s gotten a shot of a large cat on the trail in Allamuchy. He texted it to me.

BighART BighART
May '20

still waiting for pictures - otherwise it's a bobcat or a huge house cat or fox or coyote

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

I've seen very large coyote in NJ, even in my backyard in Valley View Woods. I'm talking about the size of a medium-sized German Shepherd. These large animals could possibly be mistaken for a large cat especially with poor lighting (or poor vision, lol!)

Yes, I'm still waiting for pictures too. Not holding my breath. Every pic I've ever seen of a mountain lion in NJ has turned out to be fake, ....... from somewhere else.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
May '20

Bob cat ear markings but that body doesn’t look Bob cat to me.

BighART BighART
May '20

How do I post the photo?

BighART BighART
May '20

Nice pic bighart but that’s a bobcat. Ears give it away. Plus the head is too large in relation to the body for a mountain lion. Cool pic nonetheless!

The R The R
May '20

The picture is 5 years old - the picture is from September 2015 and by the vegetation growth I am pretty sure it’s was taken in September ... and it’s a bobcat ... which is really cool thanks for sharing ... can we come to a forum agreement that we don’t have mountain lions in NJ ...

May '20

For the record: IMO, it's possible but not probable.

Confirmed kill in CT. 2011 https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/opinion/the-cougar-behind-your-trash-can.html

Most often it's an escaped captive Cougar. but it's possible they wandered more than 1,500 miles for a tasty treat of Eastern Whitetail. The Eastern Cougar is extinct never to return unless by Jurassic Park methodologies.

For the Western Cougar, just no confirmed sightings, pictures, or leavings except the 2011 story that I can find.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '20

Long time reader, first time poster. I have to admit I only started reading the Hackettstown forum because of how much the arrogance and ignorance on this specific topic amuses me:) Federal Agent here, affiliated mostly with rural railroad management. While that may not change anything, I can confirm that while it has not been proven Mountain Lions are living here, they are at the very least passing through. If you do your research thoroughly you will see this has been confirmed throughout the northeast in the last few years including New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire- in one case, I believe one was actually struck and killed by a car. Fisher’s have also been making special guest appearances, and those things are real nasty! Rob and LibertyThinker’s post about scat (a excellent point) did get me thinking though: I have a zillion squirrels in my yard, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen squirrel poop? Or even know what it looks like? Or fox scat? Raccoon? Coyote? But we all see them everyday? Please be advised as a species that was native to NJ, unless Mountain Lions became invasive or a threat to the immediate public, the government would not necessarily be required to announce their return or suspected return. I don’t understand why people find this topic so implausible and controversial? Remember, Pandas were only confirmed to exist about 100 years ago. Before that they were believed to be a mythical creature like a unicorn. Wolves are returning to California for the first known time in nearly a century.

Anyway- keep up the good work on both sides everyone! I’ll leave a saucer out for Fluffy. I can’t wait for the day someone posts Bigfoot has tamed a mountain lion, and rides the night with Mantis Man. And, please, in a world of image searches, those of you who keep posting false pictures-cut it out. Your hurting not just your credibility, but that of the entire argument.

bemused&amused125 bemused&amused125
May '20

Very good bemused&amused125. I really got a chuckle out of the arrogance and ignorance" statement. I never saw so many long winded experts on every subject under the sun. Keep on posting I can always use a good laugh !!

Jimt1058
May '20

Well, if you can assure it, Without sources, I am reassured for sure. The car one was CT, was 2011, was a Western, and the link is posted above. I used possible but not probable. Eastern are extinct.

May '20

Why can't we have these guys patrol our woods with a 600 pound Dire wolf?

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SFC19001118.2.12&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1

One-Eyed Poacher One-Eyed Poacher
May '20

Yes, my daughter, while driving, saw one run out in front of her car chasing a deer on Rt, 46 in Hackettstown NJ. by the bridge over the Musconetcong River which is actually in Washington Twp. Morris County a coup[e of years ago( too fast to get a photo). We reported it to police and state wildlife officials at the time who denied the siting saying they don"t exist in NJ. My daughter KNOWS what she saw. She said it was large and tan with a long tail, not a bobcat. We are outdoor oriented, have livestock, and we have many wildlife books. Also, a resident on Main St., Johnsonburg in Frelinghuysen Twp Warren County saw one out in back of their house which is where the Federal Springs pond is located. This seems like a sci fi movie where no one wants to believe reality. Well that's their problem if they don' want to believe!

Janet H Schuring Janet H Schuring
Apr '21

I'm so sure all of their camera phones were off too!

kepa
Apr '21

I have yet to see a definitive photo of these sightings.............strange isn't it............we see pix of all the other wildlife we know live in NJ

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '21

I’m pretty sure it would be kind of hard to whip out a cell phone from your pocketbook, focus it on a moving animal, and get a clear picture...all while you were driving. Also very illegal.

Spring fever Spring fever
Apr '21

I have had a mountain lion run across the road in Sussex on me 6 years ago, they are around....6 people total, three in the two cars we were traveling with all saw it.

Darrin Darrin
Apr '21

Again with all security camera and hunter trail cams in our woods of NJ ... there are no mountain lions ... everyone have your eyes examined ... or stop drinking and or taking hallucinating drugs...

Apr '21

There’s people who believe that they saw a mantis man here......

Philliesman Philliesman
Apr '21

Some questions for the folks that believe there are mountain lions in NJ.

Where is the closest documented breeding population of mountain lions?

Why/how would a Mt Lion travel from that documented range to NJ?

2 cents
Apr '21

No one in this 2021 thread has said there was a near or far documented breeding population of mountain lions in NJ. Personally, I have no idea why a Mt. Lion would travel into NJ, but possibly they would travel on foot and come thru New York / NJ border.
Northern NJ has some great forested areas. Smart choice for a wayward mountain lion who likes solitude.

Spring fever Spring fever
Apr '21

Last month I had a mountain lion cross 10 feet in front of my car, It was running, as I suspect I frightened it drinking out of a fairly large pond. The area has marshy areas which I've been told are a favored habitat. My husband (who was not with me) tried to convince me it was a bobcat, but it was way too large, possibly 5-6 feet long, head seemed small for its body, and at a running pace, the tail was trailing beyond the extended feet. We've always had big dogs, so I can estimate it might have been around 80-100+/- lbs. It was a mountain lion, without a doubt. Whether it was passing through, or setting up house, it was here in the south west portion of Frelinghuysen.

USAfirst USAfirst
Apr '21

USAfirst

Too bad you didn't have a dashcam that recorded it! That would hopefully put the controversy to rest.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.