China Garden

don't know what has happened with this promising restaurant...the various dishes were originally very tasty and we considered it the best in the area....and now, of 5 or so visits, the quality has gradually degraded with our last 3 or so visits....tonight we ordered Szechuan Chicken, Chicken and Broccoli, and Shrimp Toast.....both the chicken dishes contained no discernible chicken meat, just chicken fat and chicken skin....the shrimp toast had a bland, almost fatty texture and taste....disgusting.....we let them know......hope they pay attention.....

zentravl zentravl
Dec '19

That's the problem with these places . Business is slow so in turn they
offer a lesser quality product. That's what the trend has been lately
at least. It stinks.

herman
Dec '19

Go to Hong Kong Palace. Top quality, and they will cook your food to your dietary preference.

happiest girl
Dec '19

We were very disappointed with Hong Kong Palace- when we were there last..............

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '19

Explain??

happiest girl
Dec '19

Here we go again. lol
Back and forth and having to explain who likes what place or why not.

Don't like a place: don't go. I swear, sometimes I feel like competitors rag on each other on the forum.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '19

Now you have to explain why people don’t have to explain.
Then the definition of a forum comes out.
Thread highjack!

Never tried either, tried Yummy House over in Belv/White area, was real good.

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '19

Got sick off of China Garden’s beef they make there, 3 weeks ago. Won’t go back.
The Bamboo Kitchen on 517 has turned into my new place!

Litup
Dec '19

I like their General Tso's chicken a lot. Haven't had any issues.

Metsman Metsman
Dec '19

I have not had any bad experiences with China Garden. They are my go-to Chinese takeout place.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Dec '19

They were our go to until we got that disgusting mess of chicken skin rather than actual chicken...............

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '19

We love China Garden - so far, so good for a few years. Got Palace once and it was huge balls for Tso and didn't like the rice. Bamboo Kitchen also very nice. I think it's all a matter of taste.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '19

It’s gross I’m not expert and don’t claim to be but that place is beyond dirty. Hunan wok is easily the cleanest and best tasting around my Friday night go to

Unfortunately, I have to take back the positive feedback I gave about China Garden here. There’s a beef dish I get there regularly and the last two times it has been subpar. Tonight takes the cake though. The beef smelled like chemicals and smelled/tasted like chlorine. The dish was saltier and greasier than ever before.

I’m bummed to have to find another place, but something is definitely up at CG.

Jan '20

I hope you passed on eating that one.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '20

I saw that they are putting a brand new Chinese/ thai place in riverside plaza at the end store. The signs just went up. Might be worth a try

Douglas78
Jan '20

Douglas78

The new restaurant at Riverside are family of the Asian Kitchen Chinese/Thai place in Washington
My favorite Chinese restaurant in the area! Delicious food !! Wonderful Won Ton Soup!! People are very friendly polite and courteous! Very Clean Place too!!
I was told this place is opening up this month !!
Cannot wait!!

Lion is this open ?? Do you know the name ? Can't find anything online. One more question do they have seating to eat in ??

SZECHUAN ROYALE is still very good. they stopped delivery to us because we are about .1 miles too far. the food is decent tho.

JimT

I was told by a family member from Washington reastaurant that it is opening after Chines New Year which is this coming week I believe It is Asian Kitchen located next to Riverside Fitness in Hackettstown
Their phone number is 908 852 8889
If it is like the restaurant in Washington there are a couple of small tables for Dining In
Food is very good!

Lion

Chinese New Year was actually last week, Saturday Jan, 25th, though Festivities do run for several weeks:

https://chinesenewyear.net/calendar/#spring-festival

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '20

As of Thursday afternoon they were still not open. It is in the Riverside Plaza but on the opposite end from the gym.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '20

Thanks Lion, We used to go to China Garden but were put off by the bad comments. My wife is not too happy with SZECHUAN ROYALE . We tried Bamboo Kitchen last night and thought was pretty good. I will try the new one when it opens. I Just wish they had better in restaurant dining like Hong Kong Palace and SZECHUAN ROYALE just to get out for a while in the winter

We still use Hunan Wok is Port Colden Mall Washington, on the other side of the mall from the DMV location. Must have new cook, now when you ask for really spicy, you really get spicy.

Clean, consistent, seems worth the drive for us.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '20

Wow I can't believe some of the posts in here. I have never, ever had an issue with their food. I can't speak for your experience, but I will share mine...

For 10+ years I've been going to China Garden and there is only one reason why: the best Chinese food at the best price. Hands down. No comparison to any other Chinese restaurant in town (I've tried every spot at least once a year to compare). What's surprising is they keep improving the quality of their food and renovating. Anytime I call in an order, they have it ready for me in 10-15 minutes for pickup, even during peak hours.

In comparison Hong Kong Palace and Szechuan Royale are both way over priced for what you get and the quality/taste is lacking.

If you want the best Chinese in town, get it here.

ChineseFoodLover ChineseFoodLover
Feb '20

Where is China garden?

Pumpkin43 Pumpkin43
Feb '20

Well, if you only have one post and your handle is CFL; that’s the post.

Wonder if you get extra egg roll with that accolade :-)

Feb '20

I think that China Garden is the best of the ones in our town, as well. Only once have I ever had a problem with an order, and that was only because they forgot something. They didn't just tell me that I can get a free item on a later visit, they insisted that they deliver it to my house right away, which they did. I've also been going there at least 10 years and their food has always been great.

Rich - the 2nd time we ordered the food was inedible - so never again- it was within the last few weeks

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '20

Was informed just yesterday that Asian Kitchen is opening February 11 2020 Next Week !!! It is located by Riverside Fitness

Cannot wait!!

I hope the Thai food as Asian Kitchen is good. I've never found a combination Chinese/Thai place to actually do Thai well. Hope this place changes that statement.

I am amazed how some restaurants have such a wide range of reviews. From a couple of perfect-for-over-decades to getting chicken-fat or bleached-beef; most, if not all of, these seem to be real HLer's, not drive-bys. I can understand an oops here and there, but from perfection to Chlorox is a huge leap. Just seem strange and this is not the only place round here reviewed like that.

Given the travel, the year, I have been dosed in many states, many times, but I always figure that's the life of the traveler. Rarely have I ever been dosed here at home. Maybe twice in three decades here. Some funny dosing stories:
- in San Fran, at a fish house overlooking the bridge, sun setting, I ask the waiter, "what's good bring me that with some speed as I have a flight to catch. Wanna guess what it's like to be on the red eye when you get that funny feeling
- in San Antonio got bumped from the seminar hotel to a really swank place on the Riverwalk. Feeling cocky, I ordered something with a white sauce --- a no-no on my travelers rules, but hey, I am feeling lucky. Wanna guess what it's like to start your speech when you get that funny feeling. Or what you feel when you run outside and there are no cabs.....
But wait......there's more.....but you get the idea.

Personally, like a bad night of drinking ends my use of that particular liquor, I won't return or go to a place that made me or others sick. I see a couple of reviews here, from folks known, like that and it's avoidance time.

Feb '20

I was one of the people who staunchly defended China Garden earlier in this thread. That is, until I got 2 mediocre orders of Beef Chow Mei Fun and eventually, the dreaded Clorox Beef Chow Mei Fun.

Whether others have had a good experience for a decade or a day, it means nothing when you've been sold one of the most disgusting things you've ever tasted in your life. I'm bummed. CG is close to home and they are fast and usually efficient. But it's the whole fool me once thing. I ignored the two times my dish was meh and got kicked in the stomach when I ordered it a third time.

At this point, I have now tried Hong Kong, Bamboo Kitchen, Hackettstown Chinese, Schezuan Royale, and West Lake in Mt. Olive. West Lake seems the best so far (based on one order, so I'll need to try it again; don't love the driving distance).

There seems to be a trend with Chinese restaurants: they're excellent the first six months to a year and then the consistency goes haywire. I'm looking forward to trying the new place by Riverside. Hopefully they start out with good food and remain consistent.

Feb '20

Truth, SquirrelGirl - all disappointing..................

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '20

One of the reasons that I drive the distance to Hunan Wok, Port Colden Mall, is that the same family has been running it for awhile. While the cooks seem to come n go, they provide consistency. You may like or not like their "style," but they have been consistent. Plus, I have watched their family grow, great kids who are no so little anymore.

It's not like I find H-town Chinese inferior, it's just that HW has always been there for us.

As I said, the current cook, if requested for extra spicy, really complies with the request. I have been sweating a bit :>)

Shrimp has been surprisingly good and, of course, the cheese filled wonton's are to die for.

Feb '20

I always have a good experience at Hunan Wok in the Shoperite plaza. Very consistent quality

kepa
Feb '20

Different HW; same road, different towns. Think both ate owned by a different Little Taste of Italy ;-). One is DMV HW; the other SR HW.

Hmmmm, that’s some menu; anyone else have luck with Shoprite Hunan Wok?

Feb '20

I've taken out from Hunan wok by ShopRite a few times. Always had a good experience. Think their wonton soup is one of the best in the area. Don't remember if they are also one of the few in the area to offer scallion pancakes.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Feb '20

I had Beef with Broccoli just recently from Hunan Wok by Shop Rite The Beef was like shoe leather No excuse!!
Never going back

"Ok, what Next "?

" Ok, What Next " ?

" Ok, What Next" ?

Bobby G Bobby G
Feb '20

Got a menu in the mail today for the new Asian Kitchen in Riverside Plaza.

happiest girl
Mar '20

@happiest girl - it's really good! we've had it twice since it opened and enjoyed both times. Not crazy about their boneless spare ribs - lots of sweet sauce so if that's your thing you may like it, but really good lo mein, general tso's, eggrolls, wonton soup and sesame chicken so far...

somechick1 somechick1
Mar '20

I had the corona rice with wuhan brocolli.

thaimaster1978 thaimaster1978
Mar '20

@somechick1 - thanks for the review. I will pass on the spare ribs since I'm vegetarian, LOL!
One thing strange on the menu is some vegetable dishes have the green symbol as being vegetarian, but other vegetable dishes do not have the symbol. I wrote and asked why -- maybe they use chicken stock to stir fry some of them but not the others? I'm waiting for them to reply.

happiest girl
Mar '20

Be carful a lot of those kitchen workers are here on work Visas the same with nail salons.

I would not go until this passes no matter how long it takes.

Outdoor Woman
Mar '20

I have not heard about the virus transmission via Chinese take out. Where did you here that?

Since I am pretty darned sure you can’t tell any Asian’s country of origin, do you have any proof of that beyond the fact they are Asian? Or are you just avoiding all Asians?

I mean seems like getting an H1B permit to be a kitchen worker or nail salon worker is pretty hard, probably near impossible since 2017, what is your proof of this before we shun a small business just starting?

Is Pizza next?

Mar '20

Outdoor woman - So, you've checked them all personally for visas? OMG. Stupid thing to say. You do realize your neighbor and kids could easily have just gotten back from Italy, Iran, or China or any of the hotspots right now for the virus. People anywhere can be on work visas. You could know someone who was just on a cruise OR you have NO idea that someone next to you in a store that just coughed was just on a cruise and didn't show symptoms and so on. Don't be ignorant and spread panic or cause people to lose business.

DogDayAfternoon
Mar '20

Way to go DogDayAfternoon !

Jane
Mar '20

Thank you DogDayAfternoon -

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '20

The China Garden menu doesn’t say ‘no msg’. Does the Asian Kitchen use msg?

Hktownie Hktownie
Apr '21

Hktownie -- Asian Kitchen doesn't mention anything about msg on the menu. All it says is no peanut oil. I guess you need to ask them.

happiest girl
Apr '21

Re: China Garden

@Hktownie hrmmmm, i think you might need glasses

what's that symbol with the MSG with a line through it mean?

even if they did use MSG, there is nothing wrong with it. MSG is delicious.

ChineseFoodLover ChineseFoodLover
Apr '21

So we tried China Garden for the first time. Part of the order was General Tso's Chicken. Got it home and no broccoli in it.

Called and was told that they stopped putting it in because people were requesting "no broccoli". Menu shows it with the broccoli. Was never asked during ordering process if we wanted it.

Was told that we could come back and they would provide a side of broccoli. We declined.

Not really very good customer service....my opinion. If I was the restaurant owner/manager I would have asked for our address and then would have delivered it. Never was offered this option.... I know they don't directly deliver except through GrubHub, etc. But it would have been good customer service on their part.

Even told him this was first time ordering and that food was good. Not sure if we will order from them again.

Also, I guess no one told them that the restaurants can open up again....they were still locked up tight as a drum!

China Garden is good. You admit you like the food so give them a second chance. And by the way, yes, they are still locked up but as of yesterday, June 6th, Wendy's and dunkin donuts are still closed inside as well. Drive through only. So don't be so quick to judge how/when they reopen. It's an adjustment for so many.

Patience
Jun '21

They haven't put broccoli in for as long as I can remember. Order something that has veggies in it for sure and there you go.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '21

Generally this dish has broccoli in it so kind of weird they just took it out without noting it on the menu or asking you when you order.

Weather Buff
Jun '21

I would never expect something like broccoli to be delivered through a third party that relies on tips, spends money on gas, and so on.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '21

Well: to broccoli or not to broccoli, that be the ?....should have started this years back when HW Bush could have weighed in. Bottom line, have, over the years ordered the dish (as well as GCshrimp) and it always had broccoli. Always. Chinese cuisine is complicated, and one should not be expected to verify the ingredients when ordering take-out. "Excuse me, but can the lo mein be made without noodles or substituting angel hair pasta?"........

New2this New2this
Jun '21

Thank you all for your comments...always interesting to hear other's perspective on things.

"Dog Day Afternoon", I wasn't even thinking of them sending the broccoli through a "service"....just was thinking that perhaps they should have just delivered it themselves....I have been in the "service industry" for many years.......was taught early on that the "customer is always right" attitude, but I guess that doesn't apply anymore. Old school, I am! I have to learn to be more adaptable to our current "correctness".

And yes, "Patience", we will probably try them again.........as the food was very good.

I am just really surprised by businesses not opening up for customers inside. When you watch the news over the several months, so many business owners have been complaining all along that they want to reopen as they are hurting financially due to the restrictions that had been imposed. Not judging.....just making an observation.

Again, thank you all for your honest feedback. Always greatly appreciated by my fellow Hackettstown residents!

Most places put two or three broccoli florets in an order of GTC... presumably just for a punch of color. It's not like Chicken and Broccoli or anything.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '21

I like when it's fresh broccoli on top of the chicken. Nice contrast of a fried and saucy dish with steamed broccoli. Many places have gone the 3 pieces at the bottom drenched in sauce route.

In the old days when we had Chinese buffets (never a fan of the community serving spoon), I'd make my own. Grab some breaded chicken from the sweet and sour, siphon some General's sauce and then find the best looking broccoli that was available.

Schmedley Wilcox Schmedley Wilcox
Jun '21

Rudy, so glad to hear you'll try them again. I know businesses want to open but I wonder if they have the staff to appropriately service take out and dine in. So many places want to be open but are hurting for staff.

Patience
Jun '21

Unfortunately, though, Rudy, restaurants are very short staffed and having a worker leave to deliver broccoli, lose time, gas, and etc, would have been kicking them further behind. Do try them again, though. Have a great night.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '21

There's no "restaurant manager" in a tiny hole in the wall take out place. There's the person who takes your order over the phone, bags it up, and rings you up, and there are the guys cooking the food. Who was supposed to come bring you the few pieces of broccoli they sometimes put in their general Tso'? Whose orders should not have been able to be taken while they were delivering this handful of broccoli? Whose food shouldn't have been cooked?

As for whether they are open or not, that's entirely up to them and when they feel safe or comfortable opening back up.

LibertarianismRules LibertarianismRules
Jun '21

There is no need for them to open up inside. There are only a few tables and each time that I've gone there no one was eating inside. It's been a very busy place this past year as every time that we ordered, the place had a line outside waiting for pick-up. So glad that they were able to keep busy this past year.

magpie magpie
Jun '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: China Garden
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.