Hyundai

Hello my father is looking for a used car to buy, and we've come across a couple of Hyundai's but dont really know anything about them. I've only had Honda's and he's had a Nissan Sentra for the last 19 years(it has over 300k miles on it!). Unfortunately the Sentra needs work that's too expensive to fix on such an old car. Does anyone have any opinions on Hyundai's? Are they good on mileage, expensive to fix, what's considered high mileage for a used one?

Thanks in advance!

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Apr '19

Hyundai's have one of the BEST warrantys. 10 year 100,000 mile - and it covers everything. They're typically very affordable and reliable cars.

Pauly Pauly
Apr '19

Between my kids and I, we've owned or leased 7 Hyundai's. I obviously think highly of them. My 2007 Veracruz lasted 10 years and had 135,000 miles on it and was still going strong until the engine suddenly went. For the past year, I've driven a used 2009 Veracruz and it takes me 100 miles a day for my commute and is a pleasure to drive.

I also lease a 2016 Sonata, which my late fiance' loved to drive (it was ,for all intents and purposes, her car), but I will be turning it back in soon. My one son has a Veloster and is happy with it, and my other son now has a new Elantra, and he is also pleased with it.

I think they are as, or more, roomy and comfortable to drive than more expensive brands. I've had to get some repairs over the years, (axles, idler arms, and the like) but nothing that I thought was excessive.The warranty is good, as well.

I used to drive down to Virginia for work and my company let me rent a car every time, so I've driven so many new cars, and none of them were as nice as my Veracruz. The fact they discontinued that model in 2012 or 2013 is a real shame.

Good luck to you.

Check Consumer Reports for 2019 (or 2018). you want longevity, few mechanical problems, and assuming cost.

I picked that car for a friend about 5-7 years ago. THEN it was rated well and one of the least inexpensive cars.

Hackresident Hackresident
Apr '19

I have my baby since brand new, 2006.
Love my car.....if I ever gotta get rid of her. I'm done.
Worse than a death of human.

Wendy D Cirinelli Wendy D Cirinelli
Apr '19

Make sure you look up warranty transfer information. If all the maintenance wasn't done, warranty could be void.

I have owned 6 Hyundai vehicles. Only 1 had transmission issue at 90k and ended being not covered due to all their maintenance not being done.

Good luck!

Hopeful Hopeful
Apr '19

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately the one I was going to see is a 2008 so warranty is out anyway, and it has 75k+ miles on it. If it was a Honda I wouldn't hesitate but I've never heard anything about mileage on a Hyundai which is why I turned here. I did try to Google it and came up with the "million mile Elantra" from last year which was interesting. Other than that theres no clear answer to what should be considered "too many miles".

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Apr '19

I had an Elantra that I owned for about a wk before the trans blew. My mother has a Sonata and the Trans also blew at a pretty low mileage. I have had a Honda Accord they last forever and very dependable. I have a Mazda now and love it. Stick with Honda, Toyota, or Mazda. They all have better resale values and always higher rated each yr by consumer reports for most models compared to Hyundai

Jonathan
Apr '19

75K on an 11 year old car is not excessive. As with any used car you should have an independent mechanic take a look at before buying. Some dealers offer some kind of warranty on purchase of used, maybe 30 or 60 days in some cases. My car is over 10 years old and has 177,00 miles on it. Not a Hyundai but most cars if cared for correctly can last quite a while. Unfortunately with used you only have the service records if available to go by. Try Carfax to see if it had any accidents or damage repaired.

“They all have better resale values...”

Probably not really a consideration when *buying* a used car with 75K.

That said, Hyundai of today is probably a lot better than Hyundai of yesteryear. My ‘18 Elantra Sport, while only having 11K so far has given me zero problems and I like it more than the ‘09 Civic Si that I had (and sold within a year or so because I wasn’t thrilled with the fit/finish/material quality).

Honda’s of today are butt a** ugly. Toyota’s aren’t far behind. Mazda looks nice, but not sure if they still rust to pieces (and I HATE the way the radios look like glued on tablets on some models).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '19

Be careful, being recalled for engine fires! Ckevk out safety reports, and dealer recalls !

Robert Robert
Apr '19

I have a 2007 Elantra (5 speed standard) with a bit over 290K on it. The check engine light *just* came on, so I have to get that looked at, but aside from that it's just been regular maintenance. I do a lot of highway driving and get around 32-35 mpg.

We are a Hyundai family. We currently have 3 of them. Certain models do have engine problems, but they will replace the engine no charge on those models. Highly recommend them. Easy to fix, good on gas.

Along with Hyundai, Kia is apart of the same family. My father has a Kia Sportage and loves it. Certainly consider them as well if you are looking to the Korean car-brands.

Joe Friday Joe Friday
Apr '19

I bought a 2007 Sonata brand new and drove it for 110,000 miles with no problems. Traded it in for a new 2013 Kia Rio, never had a single problem and sold it at 79,000 miles. I've owned everything from Fords to GM to Honda and never had a spotless ownership experience like that before. I highly recommend. Great value!

Natalie Rhinesmith Natalie Rhinesmith
Apr '19

We have always had Hyundai's. Husband has a Santa Fe, I have a Sonata and daughter has an Elantra. Everyone loves them. I turned in my 2007 Santa Fe with 217,000 miles and really no problems. I didn't want to push it any further. Husband traded in his with 167,000 and no major problems. Highly recommend

I have a 2008 Elantra with 133K on it, bought it used at 61K...about 5 years ago.

Mostly routine maintenance...tires, brakes, oil changes, etc., so no complaints, but you do have to change the timing belt sooner than most models. AC did stop working last year, but I haven't had a chance to take a look at it. Based on the cost to repair it, I might just leave it broken. I'm not going to shell out big bucks at this point on a 11 year old car.

If all you are looking for is reliability, then yeah...decent cars, but I'd look elsewhere if you need more.

Restaurant Ralph Restaurant Ralph
Apr '19

"but you do have to change the timing belt sooner than most models"

According to Hyundai, timing belt replacement on a 2008 Elantra is due at 90K miles.

Probably costs at/above $500 to do this, since there is some engine disassembly required.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/maintenance-schedule/index.aspx

If you can get a 2011 or later Elantra, the cam is chain driven on all engines (1.6L, 1.8L, and 2.0L) so it doesn't need any maintenance/replacement.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '19

@Mark Mc.

Nope...60K is what is recommended, except that I would never change a belt that soon anyway.

Restaurant Ralph Restaurant Ralph
Aug '19

I have a 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT. It has about 45K miles and has been problem free thus far with regular oil changes and maintenance. My only concern is the car appears to not hold it's value well for resale or trade in purposes. Not sure why.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.