Elk in NJ

Elk in NJ

Just saw this in Warren County First Responder. I googled it and they are in PA & NJ. Has anyone ever encountered one in the area?

Bessie Bessie
Nov '18

WHATTTTT? An elk in NJ? I have never heard of that ever. Just asked the other half and he looked at me like I have a screw loose. LMAO

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '18

I guess the elk won? They’re huge!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '18

Never heard of Elk in NJ, but they are definitely in PA. They were introduced/reintroduced a few decades ago and they have been growing in numbers for years. I believe they are mostly in the northern, mid state area. Maybe Potter or Tioga Counties, and yes Elk county. PA still has vast areas of forested state lands and I'm not sure if there is a hunting season for them. Absolutely beautiful and massive creatures.

USAfirst USAfirst
Nov '18

Elk was brought in for decades to the Rutherford Estate for gaming for the residents and friends..I have some very old post cards showing them around the Estate.

Smile every day Smile every day
Nov '18

Elk tastes good too.

Saw a couple huge bulls in Wyoming on a hunting trip but (thankfully) only had to help pack out a smaller (relatively speaking) cow down the mountain, at night, in mountain lion territory.

I’ve known they were in PA, but don’t recall ever seeing one there.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '18

Maybe it was a Moose?

maja2 maja2
Nov '18

I'm very pessimistic on this one, LOL. Maybe that's what the person thought they hit and called it in that way. I would love a follow up on this one.

Bessie Bessie
Nov '18

I've seen wild elk in Tennessee, Missouri and Colorado, but never in NJ

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '18

Bessie - You're correct about the way the call center web site works. They put in the details of the call. You may even see 3 or 4 calls for the same thing because it's a call log, not an incident log. So what is on the web site may or may not turn out to be true.

c'mon. they have elk lodges so they have a place to grab a beer.

Interesting!

I saw plenty of elk and moose when we visited family in Sun Valley, ID. My cousin sends frequent photos of them laying on her property. They come down from the mountains as the snow starts. They look huge! Never saw any around here.That are quite beautiful.

SusanC SusanC
Nov '18

I went to the emergency site, Bessie used. I noticed there’s stuff available to hear a live stream of the emergency calls received. Is that just for first responders? I had a scanner, many years ago, lived with a first responder, and it was interesting (ok...I’ll admit it, nosey). I saw something about Broadcastify, to stream the calls. Can civilians use this site, to listen to live calls? My scanner is over 25 years old. Don’t think it would work. Thanks, friends!

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Nov '18

You can listen to the Warren County dispatch here:

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/8647/?rl=rr

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '18

“Can civilians use this site, to listen to live calls?”

Civilians can legally *listen* to any/all radio broadcasts on any frequency (the radio spectrum is public property). If you can tune in to receive it, you’re good.

Now, some states have laws about scanning (to further the commission of a crime, such as using the info to avoid police). Also, many frequencies will be encrypted. You can still legally listen but it won’t be intelligible.

If you want to *broadcast* that info back out, that’s where you may need some sort of license (if you use a radio transmitter). On the internet you’ll have to check the terms of service for what you are allowed to re-transmit, but generally if it’s on a website already you’re good.

This is how Live ATC and others work. Someone is scanning the airport frequencies and re-broadcasting for people outside that local range to listen.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '18

I’ll check it out. Thanks, Calico!

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Nov '18

Put the Scanner Radio Deluxe app on your phone. You can listen to anything nationwide for the most part. If you want to listen locally just hit the near me button and everything local comes up. It’s a great app. They also have a top 50 and they are the top 50 busiest radios at that time. It’s really interesting when a large incident breaks out.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Nov '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.