Town Wide Garage Sale Date

Does anyone know when the garage sale will be this year, looked on H'Town.net, but could not find any info.

Thank you

It has not been officially announced yet but history points to April 28th & 29th.

It was just posted as April 28th and 29th 2018

**Hackettstown Community For Crime Prevention 2018 FUNDRAISER**

HACKETTSTOWN’S 20th TOWN WIDE YARD SALE
FOR TEEN NIGHT AND DARE

SATURDAY & SUNDAY
APRIL 28th and APRIL 29th (RAIN OR SHINE)
9 AM – 5 PM

$10 REGISTRATION FEE GUARANTEES ADDRESS ON MAP AND ADVERTISEMENT. DEADLINE THURSDAY APRIL 20TH

**TOWN RESIDENTS ONLY**...

How/who do you pay the $10 to? We've never participated but want to this year!

Hackettstown Committee for Crime Prevention. (HCCP)
PO Box 695
Hackettstown 07840

Include your address to be listed on the map on your check.

You must pay by April 20th.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Mar '18

REMINDER !!!!!!
Checks must be received by FRIDAY, APRIL 20th to get your address on the
HACKETTSTOWN TOWNWIDE YARDSALE MAP.
Thank you
Bill Conforti

Bill Conforti Bill Conforti
Apr '18

I'm glad someone said something, my mom is currently in the garage in a whirlwind organizing everything. Either that or the neighbor's cat Bootz is more talented than I thought. ;-)

I'm glad I can still get the check there in time...

Thank you for info, I never got my paper in the mail! Mailing check tomorrow

Sunshine Sunshine
Apr '18

Starting to get some things together for the sale. Would be nice for anyone participating to give a hint what they’re selling. Might help some of us that would like to buy but are participating as sellers.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '18

I think that is a excellent idea, Bessie. Is there anything special that you or others are selling that some of us might like to buy?

joyful joyful
Apr '18

Most of the sales get put in the Classifieds. We're kind of heavy on the furniture this year for a change.

Not 100% sure yet what we will have, still going through stuff. I know I have a lot of clothes including lularoe, purses, costume jewelry and shoes. We are multi family so haven't gotten a list from them yet.

Sunshine Sunshine
Apr '18

Anyone know where these maps can be picked up at?

Happy6189 Happy6189
Apr '18

Last year they were available at the HKTWN BID office on Main Street, but not until a few days before the sale.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Apr '18

Mansfield town wide sale is same weekend. I've lived here 26 years and never, ever have received anything saying town was having a sale. I see Hackettstown advertises their town wide and puts you on the map. Nothing from Mansfield. Not even a mailer.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Apr '18

Maps are usually available at Town Hall, the BID office, Harpers, and on line at the town web site. Often there are other places too.

I've found out about the Mansfield sale the past two years same way I found out about Hackettstown's, by looking at Hackettstownlife's calendar of events. Some years Mansfield makes it even easier by making an online Google map of participating houses that I can refer to on my phone while on the go.

Apr '18

I never look at the calendar. Lol!
I would think they would let Mansfield residents know ahead of time, so they can participate. I never got any "invite"
Send something out. Knew nothing about it.

Apr '18

Anyone selling garden statues? Not really interested in animals or gnomes, but more like a pagoda or a Buddha.

I know two other people looking for gardening items like clippers and shovels, so post that and I can pass the info along.

Thanks.

I'm looking for small bookcases, end tables, stools, and chairs - looking to furnish a classroom as inexpensively as possible since it's out of my own pocket.

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Apr '18

Is there a rule of thumb when pricing garage sale items? I’ve never sold items at a garage sale and it’s been several years since I’ve shopped garage sales, so I’m not sure what would be considered too much or too little to ask. I realize the condition of the item plays a big part in setting a price, but was wondering if there’s a starting point. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Ebeth Ebeth
Apr '18

Ebeth - No, there is no real rule of thumb. If you look through something like Craigslist you can see what other people are asking for common items. If I look for special items on eBay I always remember when you look at a listing, it hasn't sold. So chances are the price is too high and you're going to need to cut down from that. But otherwise prices are just what people are willing to pay. And how do you really guess at that? Mostly I just put things down low enough that price won't be an issue, but there's still room when somebody wants to haggle.

My rule of thumb is do you want to bring it back inside, lol. Better to start out a little higher, people will always try to get a lower price. Start out at $10, an offer of $8.00, sold!

Bessie Bessie
Apr '18

Children (and sometimes the parents also).. that come to the garage sales usually love the tables especially designated to be 10, 25 and 50 cents for items on that particular table. (usually odds and ends of toys, costume jewelry, scarfs, baskets, etc. Keeps them busy while the parents shop for the "bigger and more expensive stuff"...

joyful joyful
Apr '18

Mansfield advertises their garage sale weekend as well as the information to get your sale on the map on their website for months leading up to the sale weekend.

Anyone looking for Prescius Moments collectibles? I have over 50 of them if interested.

Tweety Tweety
Apr '18

Snow-that's fine, it you have a reason to go on their website. I don't.

Apr '18

Hello,
Do many participants start their sale on Friday? I already saw one sale in Hackettstown advertised for Friday thru Sunday. I try to make it to your town sale every year. I have other obligations on Saturday and Sunday. I would love to hit some sales on Friday though if anyone is having them that day.

Heather Emmel Heather Emmel
Apr '18

Hackettstown is not official on Friday so only a few sales will be open. And the map is often not ready on Thursday. Mansfield on the other hand makes Friday part of the schedule. You'll probably find a number of sales there.

" would think they would let Mansfield residents know ahead of time, so they can participate. I never got any "invite""

"Snow-that's fine, it you have a reason to go on their website. I don't."

Man I just love that mentality especially in 2018. The information is available to you. you just choose not to be informed. What kind of "invite" were you looking for?

Jim L Jim L
Apr '18

JimL-maybe flyer in mail.Hackettstown did more then just post on their website, to get the word out.

Do you spend YOUR time on town websites? Sorry I dont.

Apr '18

4/28 & 4/29 Town Wide Sale - Hunter's Brook 2018 Hackettstown Town Wide Yard Sale - Rain or Shine.

4/28 & 4/29 Town Wide Sale - Hunter's Brook

2018 Hackettstown Town Wide Yard Sale - Rain or Shine

Dalton Road, Hackettstown

Willow Grove St to Crane Rd to Helms Mill Road to Dalton Rd

Saturday April 28 8:00 - 4:00
Sunday April 29 9:00 - 1:00

Baby Clothes, toys, and odd and ends

Jim C Jim C
Apr '18

Anyone know how to confirm that you’re on the map? I mailed a check on the 15th and it still hasn’t been cashed, so I’m worried that maybe my address didn’t get on th the map

KDT - The checks aren't cashed until after the event, so that's very normal. To confirm you need to either call the phone number listed on the initial flyer on the town web site. or email someone on the committee. For that, you will see Mr Conforti's name from a post about a week ago. Click on that and have him check up for you. (that's what I did)

HTH

307 West Valley View,

New tools
wrenches, nail guns, ridgid portable gas compressors, truck box, straps, husky mechanics set 300 pc+, ridgid 18v drill, husky 30gal compressor, husky toolbox

other items
New dyson vacuums, used portable cable power tool set, craftsmen leaf vac, honda self propelled push mower, armor all tire shine, dash wipes, used ridgid shop vac, new nest 3 pack camera, new canary camera, new amazon tap, new platform ladder 4ft?,

younggen younggen
Apr '18

For Bothered and everyone else interested, Mansfield Township has posted their map for the townwide sale this weekend:

http://www.mansfieldtownship-nj.gov/index.php/49-township-news/732-mansfield-township-townwide-yard-sale-this-weekend-fri-4-27-sat-4-28-sun-4-29-9-3-pm

Apr '18

Assorted items, including a compact refrigerator
403 HURLEY DR.
Saturday 9 - 4

easy going guy
Apr '18

Maps for the Town Wide Yard will be distributed today at:
Hackettstown Municipal Bldg.....also available on website
Hackettstown BID office...............also available on website
Harpers Bagel & Bake
Jack's Scissor Wiz
Rico Pan
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this annual event in support of the
D.A.R.E program and Teen nights.
Bill Conforti
Secretary
HCCP

Bill Conforti Bill Conforti
Apr '18

Does anyone have the link for the map. I looked on both of those pages but can't find.

Thank you

Sunshine Sunshine
Apr '18

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GG_QMhfHDwsJadI87SNZEaGZXztC7_fT/view

Jim L Jim L
Apr '18

Thank you Jim L!!!

Sunshine Sunshine
Apr '18

Not on map.. 13 and 15 Dalton Road in Hunters Brook will be participating on Saturday.

Deeg3 Deeg3
Apr '18

Anybody selling VHS tapes? I'm looking mainly for cult flicks (horror/scifi/martial arts/etc.) and also old home recordings of movies and television shows recorded off television.

Sprockets
Apr '18

I can't help but wonder who approved the font used on Hackettstown.net. Unreadable.

Mansfield is also having a townwide yard sale this weekend beginning tomorrow. This is the link for the map: http://bit.ly/2018MTYardSale

MtBethel MtBethel
Apr '18

Re: Town Wide Garage Sale Date

Strange question. I had a this guy sitting on my front steps this morning, with a blinking light inside a glow stick attached. No note, does this have something to do with the garage sale which I registered for, or was ET at my house?

@Sprockets I have a bunch, but I wasn't planning to put them out. PM me if your interested.

Denis Denis
Apr '18

PM sent, Denis!

Sprockets Sprockets
Apr '18

Denis - They're coming to take you back. ;-)

Anyone know if posting signs on main roads is allowed? I know some towns have regulations against it - I just moved here in March so I'm not sure what's allowed in Hackettstown.

Are we still posting what we'll be having at our garage sales?

Moving sale at 117 Louis Lane in Hackettstown this weekend! We will have a ton of women, junior, and men's clothes and shoes in like new condition (some designer,) dresses, a wedding gown, kitchen supplies, a guitar, barware, DVDs, books, baby stuff, sports memerobila, electronics, and SO MUCH MORE! COME ON BY!

KDT I have put signs up on the road in the past. If it's ok to do it or not I don't know but I've never had a problem with it. I just go around the next day and take them down.

littlelu littlelu
Apr '18

I don't know about Mansfield or Independence, but Hackettstown has never given me an issue with signs. As long as they are removed, all is good. And it's unfortunate some folks that don't ever take them down.

Good luck to everyone selling items this weekend! If you have any leftover items, please consider donating them to the Hackettstown Middle School rummage sale to benefit the Washington DC trip. The sale is May 19th and we will be post dates when we will be accepting donations soon. Any items remaining from your yard sales would be appreciated!

HMS Rummage HMS Rummage
Apr '18

Good to know about the rummage sale. Please remember to post donation info here.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '18

Hackettstown Garage Sale. 9 Route 57, located behind Dr. Chi's on corner of Route 57. A lot of kid / baby cloths,crib and mattress, stoller, carseat, walker, high chair, bouncer, kitchen items, women cloths, decorations, picture frames, electric guitar and so much more. Come see us today and tomorrow 9 to 4!

Ashley Ashley
Apr '18

Just was told about the sale. So happy it is tomorrow Sunday or I would have missed it. I am a collector of old Christmas items. Ornaments, Santas, Lights, anything Old even the silver pom pom trees. You can't guess the value. I will give you fair price. Please let me know or you can call me tonight at 2018580189.

Gail Cinone Gail Cinone
Apr '18

OMG- I'm pooped. Getting to old for this. Excellent day and great people!! Everyone was nice , polite and LOVED the bargains!! Thanks!!!!

auntiel auntiel
Apr '18

Auntiel I'm so glad you had a good experience! I for one will never participate again. We barely had anyone come down our road even though we were on the map, we wasted the whole weekend for a couple bucks, I had a guy try and haggle with me over a Star Wars glass marked $1 (COME ON!), and kids who touched everything and were running around with a sharp wine bottle opener. No thanks... First and last time for me!

I really think there is a sharp decline in the number of people that actually physically go to garage sales bc of the popularity of the online garage sales via Facebook etc....

I am right on the corner of rt. 57 in the Kenwood section (prime location) and hardly anyone stopped by

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Apr '18

We are in Brook Hollow and had loads and loads of people stop. But also any number of drive by's. I'd just say that different areas have different experiences.

Having Hackettstown and Mansfield yard sales on the same weekend is not a good idea in my opinion.

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Apr '18

LittlePiglet, Long Valley was this week end also!

littlelu littlelu
Apr '18

We have noticed a decline in customers since they starting doing other towns on same weekend. We also used to get a ton of resellers and out of towners and they'd show up super early. Last year a few showed up really late and told us they did long valley first cause it's wealthier and better stuff.This year we got mostly locals and people shopping for themselves. Even though it was less people, they were nicer to deal with. Most of them bought and when they haggled they were fair. Not like in years passed people offering you $1 for $20 item cause they want to resell it. I really enjoyed this year, so many nice people. Much more of a relaxing day!

Sunshine Sunshine
Apr '18

I think the Town of Hackettstown is wrong in having clean-up week the weekend before the garage sale. This should follow the town garage sale.

Now I have to get rid of things.

How do you feel?

Bernie Bernie
Apr '18

The Town has absolutely nothing to do with the the town wide sale. The sale is done by HCCP. So how is this an issue?

A) the town sets their schedule is December while the HCCP usually doesn’t confirm the date of their yard sale until February so we can’t wait for them to set their date. B) the town clean up is for household TRASH.

If you thought you had a chance to sell the item at your yard sale then it probably doesn’t belong in the dump. Better off donating it that trashing it.

Jim L Jim L
Apr '18

I live on Mitchell, first time I've done it in about 10 years. I was mentally prepared for sometimes ridiculous haggling this time so I just took in stride as part of the experience. I actually met some very nice people. Between my friend, son, and myself we took in about $500. Bonus got rid a lot of things I was tired of looking at.

Denis Denis
Apr '18

Denis, sounds like you had a very successful day!

Bessie Bessie
Apr '18

Agreed that the towns should really coordinate so they're all not competing for the same buyers. There's not enough time to hit all of the sales in all three towns on one Saturday, or even Saturday and Sunday--especially when many sales are Saturday-only. I'd love if Mansfield was this weekend, Hackettstown next weekend, Long Valley the weekend after, etc.

Too many sales
Apr '18

Thanks Bessie, we were out both days. Mostly just Saturday for me.

Denis Denis
Apr '18

I agree. Too many on same weekend.

Apr '18

This was Hackettstown’s 20th yard sale. It’s the last weekend in April. This was Mansfield’s 4th annual one so they jumped on our date. Long Valley’s was in October previously and they jumped in on our date as well. So perhaps you should contact those towns about finding their own weekend to do theirs ;)

Jim L Jim L
Apr '18

I agree with Bernie, it used to be the other way around, with the town cleanup the weekend after the town-wide yard sale.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. It would be convenient to be able to get ride of items that didn't sell the following weekend at the cleanup instead of hanging on to them until September or trying to squeeze them into regular trash.

hktownie hktownie
Apr '18

Hey Jim, I have an idea. Change H-town's to October and see what the other towns do. lol. The weather is nicer. End of April has always been iffy. Cold and rainy. Although last year the weather was beautiful.

auntiel auntiel
Apr '18

And that’s why hktownie you should donate the items that didn’t sell vs trashing them. There are plenty of companies that will come pick up your items you can schedule them to come out right after the yard sale. That’s what I did last year. Nothing I didn’t sell went back inside. They were left out and the charity came the next day and picked them all up. Win win win.

Jim L Jim L
Apr '18

I've got enough pictures of more than one year's October snow. No thanks for October, just as iffy.

You can't please everyone. It's ALWAYS the wrong date for someone. They've run it well for 20 years now and have avoided all the Easter's and Mother's Day clashes as best they can.

Donations to Trinity, Habitat, and Salvation Army at people's discretion are year round. So there is always somewhere to take stuff. Depending on what you have there are things like Lupus or Big Brothers. Some others too. The Middle School rummage sale has timed it to make it easy to get rid of stuff. There are many opportunities to donate.

I just called the Veterans donating company to donate a oak tv piece. I was told they couldn't take it. I will even roll it out front. Does anybody want it for free?

Happygirl Happygirl
Apr '18

Churches have lots of rummage sales. Maybe you could call around and see if they want donations? My friend’s mom picked up our unpurchased items and brought them to her church.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '18

Happygirl - Trinity will most likely take that. I suspect Habitat in Washington will to but am not sure.

Thank you for replies, I will give them a call. I just don't have a truck to transport. Just want to get rid of the piece.

Happygirl Happygirl
Apr '18

Here is the info for our drop off dates for the HMS rummage sale: We are accepting items each day M-F May 1-15 until 3:30 pm. See flyer for more details. Thanks everyone!

HMS Rummage HMS Rummage
Apr '18

Will last weekend in April likely be the date for the 2019 town wide sale?

Jpb3302 Jpb3302
Jan '19

yes it will most likely be the April 27th/28th weekend as the weekend before is Easter. The HCCP doesn't confirm the date until February but that is the most logical weekend.

Jim L Jim L
Jan '19

I'm thinking about selling this year but don't know if it's worth the trouble. Has anyone participated in the sale in previous years and how well did you fare?

Honestyseasy Honestyseasy
Mar '19

It's a big event, and lots of people buy and sell things. Whether or not it's "worth the trouble" depends on several factors, such as where you're located, the weather, how you advertise, what you're selling, and whether you're selling stuff cheap or trying to get top dollar. In general, it's a good way to get rid of some clutter and get a few dollars for it, and maybe make some people happy, but don't expect to strike it rich.

All that being said, from my experience, the most successful sales are the big ones--either one big sale, or several next-door neighbors all having sales--on the busier streets. People are less likely to bother stopping, for just one person sitting in front a single table with a few items on it. But for a big sale, they'll stop, because they figure there's likely to be SOMETHING they want in all that. So, before you decide to sell, think about how much stuff you have, and ask your friends, family, and neighbors in town if they plan to sell, so you can consider combining your sales together.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Mar '19

We've done a sale during the town wide and often a "preview" sale a week before for close to 10 years now. We've gotten people that know the kind of stuff we'll have and come back regularly. There are also many that come to the development during the town wide specifically because of what JerseyWolf mentioned - they will be at least a half dozen sales on the map, often several not listed.

We sure don't make a mint. But when you look at a half garage full of stuff all gone afterwards, that's well worth it.

Will anyone have any outdoor toys for sale at the town wide yard sales? I’m interested in little tikes play houses, little tikes basket ball hoop, step 2 or little tikes picnic table.. stuff like that. Please email pics and prices . Thanks so much

Sandy Sandy
Mar '19

Long shot, mid century modern credenza.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '19

Are you looking for a long cabinet type credenza, Bessie, or a hutch type one? Please describe what you have in mind...

joyful joyful
Mar '19

Long, but could be a hutch. Word can’t be too dark and has to be MCM. Will send you a picture of the style when i get home

Bessie Bessie
Mar '19

I don't think I can help you out with that after all, Bessie. If it is Mid Century Modern especially. What I have is more Maple..Early American..Wish I had known as my sister had a really nice one (the mid century modern credenzas go for quite a bit..especially the teakwood ones)..

joyful joyful
Mar '19

They have 2 at Trinity, pricey true, but so, so nice

Bessie Bessie
Mar '19

does anyone know who runs the Hackettstown Townwide Garage sale. I thought it was the BID but its not. I need a phone number to contact them please?

Carol Carol
Jan '20

Carol- The 5th post from the top of this thread has the information you are looking for!

What are the dates for 2020?

rbilly rbilly
Feb '20

Posted in another yard sale thread here on HL
:

Yard sale was just announced at Town council meeting tonight. April 25th and 26th

Is there a fall sale?

Justice Law
Nov '20

Nope

Jim L Jim L
Nov '20

Wish they did have a fall one ......

Ziggy Ziggy
Nov '20

Anyone know if there a date for this spring or is it not happening? Thx

Townies Townies
Mar '21

no word either way yet. Hopefully, we hear something at the March 25th town council meeting.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '21

Sooo dumb.

It's outside- government shouldn't even be involved in making a choice if someone wants to have a yard sale.

People were having yard sales over the summer, are you not allowed to have them on your own anymore anymore?

Bessie Bessie
Mar '21

It’s not the government, the HCCP puts it together as a fundraiser. Not the town. We haven’t heard if they are doing it our not.

I

Jim L Jim L
Mar '21

It has been announced that the town wide yard sale has been cancelled again this year. Bummer.

I guess the Spring town wide clean up on the 16th and 17th will be hopping! LOL.

I’m working on getting another nonprofit in town to organize it for this year. Stay tuned it’s not dead yet.

Jim L Jim L
Apr '21

Need permit for a sale, but the fee is being waived during covid. We should all just get a permit for the same date and have a rouge town wide sale day. The shame is that no organization is getting donation to be put on the map. All towns around here had sales last fall, so why hackettstown wont this spring is ridiculous...

Washington Washington
Apr '21

Does Washington actually have someone that checks to see if a garage sale had gotten a permit? Seems a bit over the top in my opinion. I would conduct a "pop up sale" and take my chances! LOL. I mean how long could one possibly go to jail for selling 25 year old VHS movies and some crummy children's toys! LOL

Cranford had their town wide garage sale today. Three people I know participated and invited me to "come on down with your stuff." I didn't because I already had things I planned to do today. They did well as did the town! I guess it's a tough call "to have or to have not."

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Apr '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.