Who maintains the area near the Billy Yank statue?

I was just wondering if someone knows who is responsible for maintaining the area near the Billy Yank statue at the Five Corners intersection.

My son and I stopped there this afternoon after noticing the American flag and POW/MIA flag were on the ground. It appears that someone cut the rope on the flagpole. We folded up both flags and left them on one of the benches near the statue. If someone knows who maintains this area, please let them know.

My husband is on his way there now. Hopefully the flags are still there and they will be delivered to the people who normally maintain the Billy Yank area. Thank you, Snow and your son for doing this...

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

Snow

I have no idea, but have you called to police on their non-emergency line to report it? It IS an act of vandalism (at the very least) if the rope was intentionally cut. They could then check the VNB and other security cameras to see if it was caught on tape or hard drive. It's likely that someone doing this on purpose would try do do it in other places around town if they're trying to make some sort of "statement".

Thanks for noticing that and taking the time to do something about it and then to post!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

Thank YOU Joyful & Duke!

maja2 maja2
Jul '16

His name is Billy Yank? For some reason I always thought it was town founder Samuel Hackett.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '16

For those unfamiliar with the history:

http://www.hackettstownhistory.com/narticle_billyyank.shtml

Thank God there are people like Joyful, Duke and Snow. That statue is a tribute to veterans, not Hackettstown's founder. The original was positioned in the center of the 5 corner's crossroads, and had a water trough for watering horses. This town has an amazing history. I think most people would be very surprised at how unique our town is.

USAfirst USAfirst
Jul '16

@Joyful -- Thank you for sending the Duke to get the flags. I'm happy to know they will be returned to their rightful owner.

My son was the one who noticed them on the ground, he's very patriotic and was both upset and disgusted to see the American flag treated that way. I will swing by the HPD Monday morning and talk to the person at the desk. Hopefully we are wrong and the rope was just worn and tattered in the recent storms we've experienced, but I really doubt it as the rope looked to be in pretty good shape to me.

My husband has just returned home. This was a act of vandalism and has been reported already to the local police department. The flags have also been recovered and returned to the proper people for future use. Thank you again, Snow and your son for noticing this and doing what a good American citizen should do in such a situation.

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

Thank you Duke. The day Rolling Thunder came through one of the Legion members noticed the flag was not at half-staff, so he lowered it. The rope was in good condition that day. Sad some folks have nothing to do and had to do this. I hope they are caught.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Jul '16

Joyful, Duke and Snow, thank you for simply doing the right thing. It's our duty.

Thank you, Snow, Joyful and Duke.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Jul '16

I was "moved to tears" reading this post. Thank goodness for good people like Snow and her son and Joyful and the Duke.

Mindy's Mom Mindy's Mom
Jul '16

I hope the police find out what trash cut that rope. I would like to see he/she/they publicly ridiculed.

Thanks Snow, joyful and The Duke for your efforts.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

There is so much anti-American sentiment with the youth today.

Robbetggrobber
Jul '16

I see the Hackettstown police are looking for anyone with any information regarding the vandalism.
Perhaps they will check with the bank to see if any of their cameras picked up something, assuming one of the cameras is trained in that direction. It would be great if a camera could be added to their system to monitor the monument area. I for one would contribute to the cost off an additional camera for that purpose.

I believe the Safeway and the bank both have security cameras...Greg...

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

HPD now says the rope failed due to normal wear and tear, not vandalism:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/07/cops_vandals_did_not_cut_us_po.html#incart_river_index

I'll bet that the cameras caught Hillary in the act of cutting them down and now the cops are covering for her like their union tells them to (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '16

ianimal - Lived above Sub Shack for three years, but never saw Hillary with a knife or scissors, and disappointed to not have nailed her. You are a funny guy.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.