2016 Movie Reviews

Daredevil season 2....technically not a movie... really, really good. Much better in many when compared to the first. Bernthal (sp?) was very good as the Punisher. The character development of the Kingpin in s1 was the best so far but there was still very good stuff in s2.

Batman vs Superman...the trailers spoil the fight between the two unfortunately. They showed almost everything. It was alright overall. Man of Steel was much better. Affleck is a good Bruce Wayne and the best, most badass Batman IMO. His portrayal was the most faithful to the comics. Gal Gadot shows promise as Wonder Woman in the very short screen time she had. Villain at the end was wasted. If you're a fan of comic book movies, you have to see it. Not the best, not the worst.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '16

I saw B v S twice. The second time around everything made sense. I think Doomsday should have been used later, but also remember when he dies in the comics, he eventually comes back so we may see a more powerful version of him later on for the Justice league to take on. Afflecks Batman is the best yet.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '16

I'd like to see Deadpool. I heard it was funny from opening credits to closing credits. Not sure if that's a guy thing. Anyone see it?

Maja - haven't seen it but I have very close girlfriends that loved it. Definitely not a guy movie but they said it has a lot of crass moments but it's so well written/acted that it works.

"Deadpool" not a guy movie? I'm a guy and I loved it! A number of other guys I know that saw it thought it was great too, btw.

I saw "The Bronze" last week - only one in the theater at the time which was too bad. Very nasty, but funny. Written by Melissa Rauch ( of "The Big Bang Theory" fame, who also starred in it) and her husband. Definitely not for the kiddies though, due to the fairly short, but epic nude gymnastics sex scene and the language throughout.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '16

I think bonv means it's not purely a guy movie like say, The Expendables.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '16

Greek wedding 2 - really disappointed .

just coach just coach
Mar '16

For those who do not observe Easter, movies are one of the few businesses opens. I guess I never tried to go to a mall on Easter. They are closed.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/03/easter_sunday_2016_whats_open_whats_closed_food_st.html

Just coach - I was so afraid of that. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like we'll go see zootopia instead.

I don't know what people look for in these movies , but this one didn't have it . First of all the supposed world's greatest detective (Batman) gets totally manipulated by a millennial Lex Luthor . Then it's your mom has the same first name as mine ? You're my immediate ally/best friend and I will call you Kal - sorry about the almost killing you stuff , and here's an unstoppable villain that looks just like the Abomination from the 2008 Hulk movie . Really get some other director for these movies because Zack Snyder is awful ! See Deadpool instead it's funny , doesn't take itself seriously at all , and about an hour less - after credit scenes included .

Zombo Zombo
Mar '16

Lex Luthor is supposed to be a criminal genius. Why is it far fetched for him to manipulate Batman? At the end of the fight Batman realized he was wrong. Superman wasn't there looking for a fight in the first place. I can understand why some people don't like Snyder movies. They have layers and the average movie goer doesn't want that. It's easier for them to follow Marvel movies which make simple story lines.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '16

Yeah this movie is so deep even the critics don't get it - a measly 29% positive rating on RT . Glad I watched online without wasting money on it . Snyder did one good movie with 300 then made a mediocre one with Watchmen , a terrible video game movie for 12 year old boys called Sucker Punch , and not much better since then . For the record the last Avengers movie was a disappointment compared to the first , Ant-Man flat out stunk , and there are no words to describe how bad the Fantastic Four reboot was . The last good Marvel movie was Deadpool and done by Fox studios on a 58 million dollar budget which is beyond meager for these types of movies .

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/

Zombo Zombo
Mar '16

Then there's no pleasing people like you.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '16

The critics were 50/50 on Man of Steel and that was vastly better. Sometimes, you do have to just accept that every movie is not going to be Homer's Odyssey.

I watched Deadpool yesterday and while it had some funny moments and decent action, I don't understand all of the hype. The villains had no depth either (not that the movie ever portrayed itself to be a deep movie.)

Age of Ultron was good, not great but yes, not as good as the first one. It had forced character development of the minor characters (Hawkeye, Black Widow) for the sake of giving them extra screen time. Tom Hiddleston nailed it as Loki so a robot villain would struggle to live up his performance

FF4 ... god awful.

I agree with Metsman - Luthor is a genius, even more so than Bruce Wayne. He playing everyone for a fool was exactly what Luthor does.

I have more of a problem with Superman taking an aggressive stance with Batman. He could easily have told Batman that Luthor was forcing him to fight.

Doomsday was straight out of the "Death of Superman" storyline.

The movie was absolutely a fan-service movie and those who aren't comic book fans are going to struggle with the deeper allusions in the movie. Here's a good article on them:

http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-movie-spoilers-reveals/

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '16

Emaxxman, all the hype with Deadpool shows that people care more about laughing at a movie than character development.

I thought Doomsday looked close enough to his comic version once he fully evolved. Just missing the hair. I personally like movies that have depth to them. I actually saw it 3 times. Each time it got better for me because I understood everything going on more each time. It racked in almost half a billion worldwide this weekend so it shows these characters attract people no matter what some idiot critics have to say.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '16

Apparently, I'm a 12 year old boy that likes video game movies too, since I loved "Sucker Punch", especially for the soundtrack & different action sequences. Personally, I expect it to be a cult hit at some point. I thought it was funny how all through the movie they talked about the so-called "dance therapy" they were getting in the asylum, but you never saw any dancing until the closing credits, when the whole cast was dancing to the classic song "Love Is The Drug" by Roxy Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlRmTKuEAG4

I loved this fight sequence along with the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN8jNPJMDxk

But that's just me, embracing my inner 12 year old - LOL!

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '16

I wouldn't mind seeing BvS again but I'll probably wait till it hits video.

Just to flashback to 2015 for a moment as we never discussed it...what did everyone think about The Force Awakens?

I saw it twice and liked it more the second time. The first time, I was more focused on what they were doing with the movie than just enjoying it. The second time, since I knew what was going to happen, I was able to just enjoy it. I did think the movie rehashed similar plot lines from the original trilogy. I thought it could've been more original. The villains didn't have a lot of gravitas but I'm hoping they get fleshed out more in the sequels. A good effort with a lot of promise. The transition from old to new characters was done well. Poor Han. Won't be the same without him.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '16

BvS did a great job of setting up the DC universe and future movies. There's many things in there that comic book geeks will love and, at the same time, you may come back to in a few films and say "OH! I see what they did there!"

Wonder Woman stole the show and her theme was awesome.

Certainly not deserving of all the hate it's received. Anyone who expected this to be another Marvel-esque film was, honestly, an idiot. In many forms, the DC comic universe has been darker than the Marvel one and the movies are taking the same tone.

btownguy btownguy
Mar '16

Well to each their own . If you liked the movie you will get a extra treat with the dvd release extended cut which will be R rated with 30 minutes of extra footage .

http://collider.com/batman-v-superman-ultimate-edition-blu-ray-release-date/

Zombo Zombo
Mar '16

I agree that it wasn't as horrible as all of the reviews make it seem to be but there were areas where it flouneed a bit. The biggest issue was how much world building was stuffed into it.

The dream sequence was merely to hint at Darkseid. The meta human cameos were sort of misplaced in the pacing of the movie; Cyborg's sequence was actually kind of lame.

I'm actually glad Gal Gadot is getting the praise she's getting. All of the negativity and complaints about her being too skinny compared to Linda Carter were ridiculous. Gadot was in the Israeli army; Carter was just a twig with big boobs.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '16

*floundered

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '16

Yea the Wonder Woman theme music was great. She was badass.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '16

ok guys, need some help;

captain america civil war; how to find out where it is playing this weekend; friday, saturday, sunday,

i know it has just 2 days left at the bow tie, i can;t seem to find out where to look for it properly,

thank in advance for any advice,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '16

BD, your last local chances are Today and Tomorrow in Pburg. After that it goes away.

OliverOxford OliverOxford
Jun '16

thanks oliver, " missed it by that much!" (maxwell smart)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '16

How was Independence Day 2... as bad as the reviews have been?

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

It was a good popcorn flick. Don't go in expecting a blockbuster. The first one wasn't that great IMO.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '16

Civil War is on dvd September 13th BD , so you won't have to wait too much longer to see it . Last theater movie I saw was The Nice Guys at Cinemark Theater Stroud Mall May 31st . We went to the 10:30 am matinee on 5 dollar Tuesday , but their computers were down so we got to see it for free . Only drawback was a middle aged couple that yucked it up like hyenas obscuring the dialogue at times , with only about 10 people in the theater no less !

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/30/captain-america-civil-war-blu-ray-extras

Zombo Zombo
Jun '16

Saw ID2 yesterday. It was entertaining but overall just an OK movie IMO for me. Family really liked it though. The first movie had real character development and emotional moments. The script for ID2 didn't really give the audience enough time with any of the characters for you to care about them. If you like CGI-loaded action movies, this is for you. It was not in IMAX as Tarzan grabbed that screen 1 week after ID2.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '16

I enjoyed both "Central Intelligence" and "The Free State of Jones", for different reasons, of course. The audience got a good amount of laughter out of the first one and the plot kept you guessing as to whether Dwayne Johnson's (The Rock) character was going to turn out to be the good guy or the bad guy at the end. Also, if you stay through the credits there are outtakes.

"The Free State of Jones" was about a Confederate soldier who got fed up with fighting the war for slave owners and headed home to find that those left at home were defenseless against the home guard, who were taking the crops from those who could least afford to lose them. He sets out to defend them and it balloons from there into an insurrection against the South itself. Based on a true story, it shows one of his descendants in court years later accused of being Black and illegally marrying a White woman. Very interesting movie!

I also really liked "10 Cloverfield Lane" which, like "CI" kept you wondering whether John Goodman's character was just a benevolent sweet old dude, or one scary serial killing murderer, or perhaps both. My Sister was disappointed a bit about the last 10 minutes or so when she saw it, but I thought it worked pretty well.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.