Weird solicitor in Brook Hollow

not sure if anyone else lives in brook hollow and had a solicitor come to your house last night. i had just pulled in my driveway around 7pm after stopping off after work to do some grocery shopping - i was cold, tired and wanted to get in my warm home and a solicitor came up my driveway out of the dark and freezing cold to start asking me if i wanted to take part in a survey about our cable provider. i said no and she then proceeded to ask me if any one lived in my home under the age of 18... i thought this was very odd so i asked her why that was any of her business. she stated it was part of the survey and then left.

i'm pretty skeptical to begin with, but this bothered me for the rest of the night. was curious if any one else had the same experience because it left me with a bad feeling.

Poppy Girl
Jan '15

No, but thanks for posting and alerting us. I would call the police, just to have them on alert as well.

I live in Brook Hollow as well. I know it was dark out when you saw them, but if you got a vehicle description I would just let the police know. I think Green Twp had issues with a similar situation last year, which resulted in a home invasion. No trying to scare you but just want to make you aware.

ditto - call police and give location and description

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '15

No but I live in Brook Hollow so thanks for posting.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jan '15

I don't live in Brook Hollow. It sounds strange, and I also think the police should be notified. They sometimes know if solicitors Are in the area, and if they have license to solicit.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jan '15

I was approached a few years ago like that but it was in daylight hours. She worked for Neilson and the reason she asked about children was they were looking for that demographics in an assigned area. She had a picture ID around her neck.. There were no children in my area. I told her where they were more likely to be, but she said thats was out of the area she was assigned to look. I will say being approached in the dark is strange and should be reported. You never know.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jan '15

I live in Brook Hollow and I had a lady come by at 8pm last night and she was from Nielsen ratings. Her credentials looked OK. She gave me her card, etc. and asked me some questions. She said she is looking for a family in the neighborhood to do Nielsen. I told her I was not interested and she left. It appeared on the up and up to me but I might be naive.

BrookHollowMike
Jan '15

I live near the hospital and this woman came to my door last week. She told me where she was from, showed me ID, and asked a few questions. Pretty simple. I didn't get alarmed or feel uneasy at all, but maybe that's just me. I never gave it a second thought. Since it was for a cable company I would think asking if there was anyone in the home under 18 would be a legit question. That group would be included in their viewing audience, right? I guess all is ok since I am still here to tell about it lol

If its the same woman and she told one of you she was from Nielsen and one from a cable company, there's definitely something strange.

JustSaying
Jan '15

Nielson does ratings via mail/phone. You fill out a watching/viewing diary for a week, etc. and mail it back in. They usually call you before the week that you had agreed on, etc.to remind you. When I did Nielson they were located in Ohio - maybe Cleveland area? Seems weird to show up at a home....badge was probably a fake. She was probably checking out houses/times of people home/how many live in home, what is inside of home (when they are at door) etc. If you haven't called police, I'd call and report as much info about the person. Also they could be a "front" for others who are slipping in the back door, basement or garage while they distract you at the front door.... just saying.

Shelley2cats Shelley2cats
Jan '15

BrookHollow Mike: ANYONE can go to Staples (or other places) and have "business cards made" for fairly low cost or make them on a home computer. Credentials can also be made to look legit. IF you can get Comcast to come to your home for an appointment - it's a miracle....so why would they put personnel on the street to check for Nielson. Go to Nielson website and check - I don't think they do business through walking neighborhoods asking for families?

Shelley2cats Shelley2cats
Jan '15

from Nielson's website: Our Field Representatives are highly trained professionals who want the chance to tell you about the exciting opportunity to participate in the Nielsen ratings. All of our Representatives carry a Nielsen photo ID badge to identify them. If you are unsure about the person at your door, you may call us at 1-800-237-6493.

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '15

Approaching you in your driveway, in the dark, is absolutely wrong. Call whatever company she claimed to be from and ask them if they have people out, soliciting.
All those big homes, Im sure you have alarm system, so I wouldnt be too worried.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

when in doubt - don't , listen to your instincts, and especially at night - but not exclusively - don't open your door if you don't know who's on the other side....
no I'm not paranoid but the list of scams going on is escalating - no one will be hurt if you do not open your door -- unless it's an emergency and they need help

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '15

8 pm is definitely outside of the soliciting hours allowed. And I can't imagine nielson or any cable company putting someone in the field to do surveys in January. Call Nielson if you can remember the badge.

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Jan '15

5catmom-even them saying its an emergency and they need help can be a scam just to get you to open the door. Sorry to say but the way the world is now, you cant help anyone. Even on the roads.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

If it was Nielsen, there's a number you can call to verify that. You'll need their name though for them to check up. Apparently multiple reps cover one area, so they don't have a list of who was where. This is from their on-line FAQ:

What if a Nielsen representative visits my home?

Our Field Representatives are highly trained professionals who want the chance to tell you about the exciting opportunity to participate in the Nielsen ratings. All of our Representatives carry a Nielsen photo ID badge to identify them. If you are unsure about the person at your door, you may call us at 1-800-237-6493.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.