Homemade Apple Pie for Thanksgiving

May be it's too late already but where I can get a good apple pie in our area TODAY, lattice style or Dutch style? Donaldson farms?

Best's on 46 in Independence.

Where the store is?

I second Best's.....across from the library on the east bound side.

positive positive
Nov '13

Both Donaldson's and Best's pies are not homemade. They purchased frozen by the store and store-baked. They are still better than what you get at Shoprite though.

Mack's has a true "homemade" pie but I'm not sure if they are open. Nothing beats a real homemade pie with homemade pie crust!

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '13

http://www.sunhigh.com/index.html

SUN HIGH ORCHARDS

skippy skippy
Nov '13

Positive - Thank you! Will stop after work, have to work late today and there no time to bake my own for tomorrow.

Have a happy Thanksgiving Lena. :)

positive positive
Nov '13

I am not sure Best's has pies anymore

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '13

What about the bakery that is in the strip mall across from Kohl's? I think they use apples from Tree-licious Orchards.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '13

If you wanted a home made pie you would have to make it yourself....smh these topics get worse every day!

BuschBeer BuschBeer
Nov '13

BuschBeer has a point, LOL!

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Nov '13

Either Adam's in Budd Lake or Just Made Bakery. ("Just Made" is the name of the bakery that the Tree-Licious people run)

Re: Homemade Apple Pie for Thanksgiving

Now here is a homemade apple pie! Does not get any more homemade made with love by me! LOL!

Just took it out of the oven!

Christine Christine
Nov '13

Christine it's time for you to go into the pie business!! Wow just wow!

positive positive
Nov '13

Best's is not selling pies any longer.

kayaking kayaking
Nov '13

drooling, Christine

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '13

Oh that's a shame...I remember how good they were. I hope Lena found a place.

positive positive
Nov '13

We have gotten pie from Mackey's in Belvidere for many years. They are usually open on Thanksgiving AM. You need to order ahead but sometimes they have extra on Thanksgiving, you would have to call and check. They have many different fruit pies. We have never had a bad pie from there.

BrandyB BrandyB
Nov '13

I agree with Busch - it's hard to "buy" a homemade apple pie! And nothing beats the taste of when you make it yourself.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '13

Thanks ladies! My dear mother in law taught me everything I know. I usually make a pumpkin too but just not up to it yet. Still trying to get back to my old self. So I caved and bought one. First time ever! So we will see. Kids don't care they like apple pie.

Christine Christine
Nov '13

I guess the term should have been fresh made pie, not homemade. I'm sort of a stickler with retailers and restaurants often using the "homemade" term. Either use homemade style or fresh made depending on what is really being offered. Baking a frozen product that was purchased from a supplier is not "homemade" or "fresh made". It is a homemade style product. I'm not knocking it, just an observation.

I can't wait to rock some good pie tomorrow!! Homemade , fresh made, self made who cares- its PIE!!!!!! LOL.

Re: Homemade Apple Pie for Thanksgiving

To me, it's all about a fresh made crust and fresh sliced apples. The frozen pies, even the better quality ones, tend to have mushy apples (by the time you're done cooking it) and the crust crumbles rather than flakes as you cut it.

There was a previous thread on this; if I remember, Donaldson's and Best get their pies from a restaurant supply store.

My daughter made this one a few years back for my birthday (it's my favorite dessert). She has aspirations of becoming a pastry chef one day. She actually taught me how to make the crust. I can't believe I settled for store bought crust before that.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '13

Apple pies in particular are not always easy to get the water content correct. You either get it dried out, or it's all mushy if you don't get it right. Crusts definitely are not that hard to make, and ones you buy often don't have the shortening you really need for that flaky crust. Just doing the crust from scratch goes a long, long, long way for any pie you make.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.