Hackettstown School Administrator Exodus

At the board of ed meeting on Wed nite, it will be announced that the Principal, Asst Principal and Dean of Students at Hackettstown High School are retiring. Sandy Mahachek, principal at Hatchery Hill School is also retiring. The district also eliminated the supervisory positions and gave those responsibilities to the Principal, Asst Principal, and Dean of Students...so who is in charge?? All three at the same time - looks like the board has some explaining to do. Hope they are not going to push this under the rug.
COME OUT TO THE BOARD MEETING!!! 7 PM AT THE HIGH SCHOOL!

Guess Mango will get a REALLY big bonus for lowering the salary ratio.

acl76 acl76
Nov '13

I don't like the feeling I get from Mr. Mango. The several times I have met him or seen him at school events, he is chewing gum, acting disinterested and very arrogant. Just my impression...

music gal music gal
Nov '13

I've only seen Mr. Mango once or twice but I agree with music gal. Comes off as very East Jersey attitude, doesn't fit into warren County. Curious to see what is said about this

Steez Steez
Nov '13

My take without any other information I think that it's dumb luck with so many key positions retiring.

If it was an Exodus they would all be leaving and going to other districts, but they are all retiring, who knows what their motivation is - Sandy Mahachek has given her heart and soul to this district, teaching at all levels and being a fantastic principal for Hatchery Hill, and she would never quit due to the administration, in fact the opposite, she would do everything in her power to protect her students. But, I honestly think she's just retiring.

acl76 - the district just can't win, they have a budget that they must live by and they do, so they don't have to raise taxes. So they eliminated some supervisory positions, instead of teachers and yes the burden was put on the administration, but there probably isn't much choice.

As far making it sound so alarming, I'm certain the district will start a search for all 4 starting in the new year, by the end of the school year they will have replacements for the beginning of the 2014-2015 school year. No need to panic!

trekster3- trekster3-
Nov '13

I don't know if this exodus is exclusive to Hackettstown. The district that I teach in,in Essex County also has many teachers and admin. retiring at end of June and some in January. Some of this is due to state regulations, pensions, etc. and folks have the years in... many had considered a few years ago when Christie made lots of cuts and now they are jumping.

3cats 3cats
Nov '13

Twice Mr Mango failed to show up to my children's classes last year after committing to a visit. I get the impression he's more concerned with money than the welfare of the students.

concernedparent concernedparent
Nov '13

Unfortunately as a result of actions by Chris Christie as regards pensions, cuts, etc. anyone working in Public Service, such as Police, Fire, Teachers will leave as soon as possible before enduring further cuts. This result will continue as long as Christie is in office and will result in lost experience and supervisory ability which will lead to people in charge that are not quite ready to be supervisors. Add to that anyone who had considered careers in these positions will find other jobs. Great work Mr. Christie. Can't wait to see what damage you will do if you get to the Federal level.

boobalaa boobalaa
Nov '13

http://www.politifact.com/new-jersey/statements/2013/nov/10/chris-christie/chris-christie-tells-teacher-school-funding-highes/

As far as the retirement goes good for them I think they have all served Hackettstown Schools very well.

notafan notafan
Nov '13

Agree with trekster3 about Sandy Mahacheck, a wonderful woman, totally dedicated to the well-being of the students at Hatchery Hill. She will be missed, Wishing her all the best!

hktownie hktownie
Nov '13

I truly believe that this has more to do with the BOE and the Superintendent than with them wanting to retire! This is a travesty and should be looked into further. Can you imagine what the high school will be like with 3 new administrators? I feel sorry for the teachers and staff that will have to work under 3 new administrators! It will be crazy!

Sport
Nov '13

I'm hoping they have the sense to hire from within so it's not so traumatic - I'm thinking Mr. Mai might be a good candidate for one of the positions available. I've worked at plenty of jobs where 'management' has changed fast and furious - you just learn to roll with the punches - as long as the classroom environment and the majority of teachers remain, it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

My personal impression and experience with Mr. Mango is that he is a straight shooter like Chris Christie, that might be good, that might be bad, but I don't believe he sugar-coats anything.

I also think he's efforts to make Hackettstown a Choice School are fantastic! What a boost for the District.

Let's remember too, that Mr. Gratz was well-liked, with very big shoes to fill.

trekster3- trekster3-
Nov '13

I am simply stunned with people who are satisfied with status quo. I know nothing about the elementary principal so I cannot speak on that topic, but as for HHS, I think change is in dire need. I do not want my children attending a HS that is in the bottom 20% of the state. I am hoping that by the time my kids get there, this new administration will turn the school around and make it competitive in the state. Saying that Mr. Mango does not "belong in Warren County" simply oozes ignorance and screams the acceptance of failure; he and the Board are finally trying to implement the much needed change in the schools. I don't know of anyone intelligent who wishes sub-par mediocrity for his/her child's education. I think that it is about time that HHS is held accountable for its failing scores and low state ranking.

Barska
Nov '13

What about the cheating on the state tests? Maybe that has something to do with this? The state is investigating the district all before Mango took the reigns while the beloved Gratz Pittenger and Sarcone were running things. Hmmmmmmmm......... Kudos to Mango for allowing them to leave with some dignity.

nowyourtalkin
Nov '13

Magno shows his arrogance with his actions. One administrator leaving does not really raise eyebrows, but three? According to the NJ Teachers website, each of these administrators has over 30 years experience, at least 75% in this district. I watched Mr. Mango at his introductory meeting, stating he will be a "hands on" super, then left the meeting within ten minutes. Check the tapes. I see him leave football games, plays, concerts, not sticking around after half time. I did not see him at the National Honor Society inductions.

I do give him lots of credit for his amazing drug bust at the High School...one joint in the parking lot.

acl76 acl76
Nov '13

Hmmm, wasn't the concern with testing related to the middle school? That would have nothing to do with the high school or the HS administration. Not sure how that has anything with their dignity.

Acl76, Mr Mango was most definitely at the National Honor Society inductions. I left at the end and he was STILL there.

Verab Verab
Nov '13

Barska,
You need to get the facts straight. HHS is the top performing school in the county and in the top 100 in the state. HSPA scores last year were stellar: they have been superior for the last 3. The rate at which students are being accepted at competitive 4 year colleges is quite impressive. I've no idea where you are getting your info. Some folks bash, just for the sake of bashing. This administrative team has done a fine job and are supported by both staff and parents. Period! Mango was at NHS inductions.

Laser Laser
Nov '13

also, Barska you will find the stats in New Jersey Magazine and The Star Ledger. Start reading, then comment.
Good job HHS!!!

Laser Laser
Nov '13

What is an East Jersey Attitude ?

jerseycash5
Nov '13

Laser- actually it is you who has the facts wrong. You may need to re-check those facts. And being that Warren County has only a handful of high schools... Being top rated there isn't too much to he proud of. We are NOT top 100 in the state... We were in the 200s... I am not sure which year you are looking in, but I am referring to the most recent.

Barska
Nov '13

Per The Star Ledger:

The scores are based on the most recent High School Proficiency Assessment released by the New Jersey Department of Education.

98.8% of juniors were proficient or advanced proficient in Language Arts
92.0% of juniors were proficient or advanced proficient in math.

New Jersey Monthly: public high school ratings use a new, proprietary formula this year. Instead of judging schools based on a snapshot of a single year’s test scores, they compared results during a four-year period, looking for trends in student achievement. Hackettstown earned a “B”

lasser lasser
Nov '13

Actually, just doing a quick search, you're both wrong. :) If you look at
www.schooldigger.com and the "Best high schools in NJ" article on NJ.com, HHS appears to be in the middle of the pack.

Aside from that, in the district I'm in we've seen a number of retirements as well, and some have commented that they are so that they can maximize their pensions and benefits as a result of the changes Christie has championed. Good for them, if that's what the want to do.

I, for one, out here in the private sector don't have a pension, and never have, have always had to contribute to my health insurance, and only get a raise if the company can afford it, which hasn't happened in a few years in this economy (despite excellent performance appraisals). I'm happy for them that they'll have the opportunity to retire.

Wow all three going remember educators saying it for the good of the children lol

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Nov '13

Question: What would you have the BOE do? If someone is eligible to retire are you going to force them to continue working? And how, exactly should they do that?

If they've continued to work after being eligible to retire, we owe them our thanks and gratitude. Again, if it really was an Exodus to other districts, then yes, the BOE would have accountability problems, but they are retiring.

And all the bashing, really, we are making progress, yes losing quality administration is a concern, but overall the school district is doing much better and continues to show improvement and additional offerings for our students that were not available years ago.

trekster3- trekster3-
Nov '13

I understand retiring but all three at exactly the same time and Sandy Machacek is not on the agenda with the others so how do we know she is retiring?

lily pad lily pad
Nov '13

Not sure how useful HSPA stat is in ranking HS, but school digger uses HSPA Language art and HSPA Math. Latest results from Nov 13, 2013 show Hackettstown 172 out of 396.

Not quite stellar. But each child will get out of school, what they put into it ....no matter where they attend.

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/NJ/schoolrank.aspx?level=3

Nancy Nancy
Nov '13

This is all silly. Looking at all the rankings, HHS fell from 2010 to 2012, instead of increased. Feel free to look at the links to see for yourself. I do stand corrected... we are not in the bottom 20%, but in the bottom 30-40%.

http://njmonthly.com/articles/towns_and_schools/the-top-new-jersey-high-schools-alphabetical.html

http://www.anateisenberg.com/files/400519/TopHighSchoolsChart.web%20(1).pdf

As for the HSPA scores, you need to see how many of those kids are advanced proficient , not just proficient; proficient simply means average.

Any way that you look at it, we need to improve and there has to be accountability among administration, teachers and parents.

Barska
Nov '13

Looks like some explanation needs to come from a responsible spokesperson for the school district.

If the three retirements are coincidental, just say so. Don't let rumors fester.

And hire the best candidates you can find to replace them.

That's about it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '13

Forget about test scores. What about the rampant drug problem at the high school? What has that administration done to take control and help resolve that major issue? I say good riddance and let's replace them with some people who aren't going to let drug dealers and drug users take over the school.

TBD,
You have simply NO clue!

Laser Laser
Nov '13

TBD, how about the parents stepping in and parenting their own kids regarding the drug issues. What a rediculous thing to say. Parents need to wake up and take charge and not blame others. Really, you have no clue. You comment has nothing to do with those retiring.

Laser, if you have direct insight into what has been done to solve the very real drug problem at the high school please share. If this administration has tried to effectively combat the problem, but has failed, I'd love to know who or what the roadblock is so pressure can be applied at the right place.

good point, so back on topic - just how many people came out and what was the reaction? bac- you are correct the investigation into the cheating on the tests are at the MS- prior to Mango arrival- thank you I pulled up the article. ACL76 any update?

nowyourtalkin
Nov '13

TBD - how about we replace the parents of these drug dealers and drug users who send them to school without giving a crap what their child is doing? It starts at home first!

smashtime
Nov '13

Smashtime - I completely agree with you but we all know that isn't going to happen. Why do you think they were allowed to become drug users and drug dealers in the first place? If the kids weren't warned days in advance of a drug sweep maybe seeing Little Johnny and Little Sally taken out of the school in handcuffs would start waking these kids up. How is it that the entire town and surrounding towns know that HHS is a haven for drugs, but the administration continues to act as though there isn't a problem. Talk to some actual students who go there sometime. It's a frightening, eye opening experience.

TBD---you seem to have a personal issue with HHS. Completely agree with smashtime, jake and the others that called you out...raise your children right and odds are they'll be just fine. And really...do you think Pope John or Blair or any other school is drug free? Really?
Teachers should teach...parents should parent.

yankeefan yankeefan
Nov '13

Schools are no different from big corps that offer buyouts at the right time for their staff. There comes a time when staying at work actually works against you financially in the long run. If these administrators were at a point in their careers with H'town, what's wrong with talking them into moving on to the next chapter? Happens all the time in the private sector. And when districts get too top heavy with administrative costs per pupil, it behooves them to act financially responsible. I am sure there a lots of good administrators in H'town that could move up and continue to do the job well, and replace their spots with new blood, eager to make a difference and impact on the district. Mango thinks years in advance. Just have a converstation with him. I wouldn't call him a visionary, but he does look beyond the next few years in where he wants the district to be.

And yes - all 4 of these administrators have given their all to the district and should be commended. Well liked. Well respected.

The drug issue? C'mon. EVERY ONE OF US POSTING ON THIS TOPIC HAVE KNOWN DRUG DEALERS AND DRUG USERS WHEN WE WENT TO HS.

Times haven't changed, only hair styles and fashion. Poor parenting existed then as it does now. Except the drug dealers and drug users now have children in our schools who are the drug dealers and drug users.

I look forward to the new people coming in to take over the reigns and fill the shoes of the great people leaving. My thanks to their years of service.

And remember, it is very difficult to always be at the top. Test scores aren't the end all for classifiying our district. When the NJASK changed a few years ago, schools across the state experienced a big dip in test scores. The wording changed. The format changed. Most often our kids are taught how to take the test, not practice for the content. So depending on the vendor who makes up the test that year, your kid see phrases like "use a descriptor to describe this object" when we used to see "use an adjective" and so on.

In the know. In the know.
Nov '13

well said Yankee Fan and and In the Know. Thank you Sarcone. Huchel and Dalton for giving your all - kids and our futures are so much better for your comittment.

Laser Laser
Nov '13

and to Ms. Mahachek, Ms. Fascia and Ms. Hill who are also slated to retire. Probably more on the way...

acl76 acl76
Nov '13

I was at the meeting. They officially debunked all rumors regarding this. All retirees are due for retirement, and it is their right to do so.

Also, in response to acl76 "so who is in charge??"

These people are not stepping down from their positions until the summer of 2014. The Board has plenty of time to find replacements.

millionyearpicnic millionyearpicnic
Nov '13

In the Know...you said it perfectly......

htownlifer htownlifer
Nov '13

So I understand from my daughter that Mrs. Lucas is leaving in Jan. She told her students that she was interested in the principal job but was told "unofficially" that they were not hiring from within.

acl76 acl76
Dec '13

If Mrs. Lucas is leaving, that is a huge loss. She really is an outstanding educator, teaching high level courses, expecting a ton out of her students.

TownFriend
Dec '13

SO SAD Mrs.Lucas will be leaving. She is an excellent teacher and I am happy all of my kids had her. I also think she would have ma.de a great administrator. Our loss will be Hunterdon Central's gain-heard she will be an admininstrator in the History department there.

Good luck to her and new role and more money in HC . Nice try again acl 76 do you think she just landed this job today? She had to have been interviewing for a while. Certainly well before any announcements of those retirements so your unofficial theory is lame.

nowyourtalkin
Dec '13

Okay, folks, ..here is the job announcement for Principal at HHS.. .High School Experience Preferrred, but NOT REQUIRED (see last line) Are they kidding? How cheap do they want to go??

Hackettstown School District is currently seeking a High School Principal with the following qualifications:

· Minimum 3 years administrative experience

· Clear knowledge of Achieve NJ and state regulations

· Effective communicator

· Proven leadership skills

· Vision for positive discipline

· Knowledge of a send/receive or regional high school dynamic

· High school experience preferred, but not required

acl76 acl76
Jan '14

and as usual those farthest away from kids and classrooms make the decisions having the greatest influence on those kids and classrooms ----beyond idiotic

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

"High School Experience Preferred, but not required"

This means that the individual could possibly come from an elementary school or middle school, simple as that.

I'm also glad to see you buzzed over "Minimum 3 years administrative experience", which means someone who has spend time in administration.

btownguy btownguy
Jan '14

The current high school principal was previously the elementary school principal. So what is your point acl76?

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Jan '14

What does this position pay?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jan '14

I'm sure that number is dependent upon a few factors such as years of experience and any of the state limits on administrative salaries. I'd say more than a teacher and less than the Superintendent.

btownguy btownguy
Jan '14

Lets hope they hire within. Wouldn't it be cheaper if they did?

Christine Christine
Jan '14

When did Mrs. Dalton become Vice Principal? I know she has been in the district for awhile but when did she actually become the VP of Student Affairs?

joan dowel joan dowel
Apr '14

She was dean of students since the mid 90's and became a VP 5 or 6 years ago when the cut all the supervisors.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.