Pub 199: gone

Looks like a complete loss. Burnt down this morning.

Njchia Njchia
Jan '13

Noooo! Love that place.

htownchik htownchik
Jan '13

Re: Pub 199: gone

From news 12

Njchia Njchia
Jan '13

Wow! What a shame!

Whaaaat? Oh my! We loved that place for family gatherings...

Jeddy's MiMi Jeddy's MiMi
Jan '13

I feel so bad what an amazing place my prayers go out to the owners and workers

eloise eloise
Jan '13

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/01/popular_mt_arlington_restauran.html

Link...

tfulp tfulp
Jan '13

Pub 199 was my DH's favorite restaurant. I was just thinking over the past few days that it was time we went there for dinner again. Too late now. (sigh) My sympathy to the owners and staff.

Chickadee Chickadee
Jan '13

What a shame. I had a lobster and clam dinner there last night just after 10:00PM. Who knew it would be my last one.... I am sure George will rebuild bigger and better.

I know it's not the same but there was a 2nd "Pub 199", which is it's sister restaurant in Tranquility...Pub 517. So you will still have the same lobster, clams, kind crab legs, etc...the same menu. It even has all the heads on the wall from the owners hunting missions. And someone correct me but doesn't George work at the 517 location? or does he see and own both?

villani villani
Jan '13

I know! This is such a bummer!! :( Love that place. At least Pub 517 is still up and closer anyway.

somechick somechick
Jan '13

What a landmark in the area. An iconic place that everyone far and wide came to see and grew to love. We all brought friends there, celebrated there, and enjoyed quiet local nights there... Our thoughts and prayers go out to George, please rebuild, and do it exactly the same!

Pandabear Pandabear
Jan '13

not a total loss the food sucked and the service was not great... the heads on the wall were less than appetizing, not too mention over priced for what you got...

dickizinya dickizinya
Jan '13

Re: Pub 199: gone

It is a shame for sure. I always enjoyed the great taxidermy mounts in both locations. Those collections are (were) is what in part, made a visit to the Pub unique.

Way to send sympathies after the loss of a business, dickizinya

Someone
Jan '13

Hadn't been to 199 in a while, but I live just a couple miles from Pub 517...not many local places that are better for good friends and good times, unless you go to a generic chain restaurant.

TheTommyGato
Jan '13

not a total loss the food sucked and the service was not great , lousy attitudes all I wanted was soup and coffee and they didn't have either and took offense that I wanted soup and coffee.

What does one expect from someone whose screen name is dick iz in ya?

Maturity at its finest, SMH

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jan '13

I was never a fan of either 199 or 517. A shame though, as I know a lot of people liked it.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '13

What a loss i still can't believe it....... I stopped there this morning , George my thoughts and prayers are with you !!!!!! I know your in shock and there are know words to describe your loss.......Please Please rebuild .....you can make it bigger and just the same ................. ....I hope you have it up and running sooon and you know you will have lines out the dooor we are alll here for you !!!!!!!!!!

Veronica Skewes Veronica Skewes
Jan '13

Wow that does suck. Such a great place and a landmark, and a gold mine no less.

Bryan Bryan
Jan '13

Lori you took the words right out of my mouth! LOL!

Christine Christine
Jan '13

I chose my name because "dickizinya" was already taken (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jan '13

Christine, that's a curious choice of words: "right out of my mouth", considering the screen name in question. Just saying... (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jan '13

I knew you would get that one ianimal!

Christine Christine
Jan '13

George will rebuild ~ that's just the way he is and like, Bryan said -- it's a gold mine. I'm sorry that they have to go through this though, but they'll come back bigger and better ~ you'll see.

Lori -- good catch on the name; I didn't even notice it until you said something.

Christine and ianimal --- too funny!

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Jan '13

I too was considering dickizinya as my screen name. I then thought about using deeznutsinyamouth but ended up with sack instead.

sack
Jan '13

sack, you like tapes or CDs?

ianimal ianimal
Jan '13

LMAO, I was going to joke along the same lines as ianimal, but with my 'deleted comment' record I figured it wasn't going to stay up long enough for anyone to read.

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jan '13

When my office was on Howard Blvd we used to go there dozens of times for countless bacon cheese burgers piled high, or cheese steaks. These were always good and no complaints on service or price.

cd's as in cross dressers?

jerseycash5
Jan '13

Everyone needs to head to Pub 517 to show support...199 was a classic

gen3Townie gen3Townie
Jan '13

WOw 22 Years ago its the place i took my wife to when i asked her to Marrie me what a shame

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jan '13

Any idea on what the cause of the fire was? Or is to early for that

RadioHawk RadioHawk
Jan '13

One report I read mentioned the fireplace as a possible cause.

WRNJ news today said the cause of the fire is still under investigation.

joyful joyful
Jan '13

Pub 517 is not owned by George from Pub 199.....used to be but no affiliation now

ARRRGGGH ARRRGGGH
Jan '13

Pictures of the remains - http://photos.nj.com/morris/2013/01/pub_199_owner_surveys_ruins_of.html

Mount Arlington Pub 199 starts rebuilding - http://www.dailyrecord.com/VideoNetwork/2219438147001/Mount-Arlington-s-Pub-199-starts-rebuilding&odyssey=mod%7Cvideo

Opening this week. Looks nice from the outside....
http://jefferson.patch.com/articles/pub-199-to-surprise-open-in-coming-days

Bryan Bryan
May '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.