Tipping on a "to go" order or catering

Can anyone let me know what is customary or appropriate for tipping on a take out or catering order? The order will be picked up by myself, so no delivery. I realize that someone is putting together the food for me - do not know if the full 20% rule applies the same as a sit down meal. Also, would catering be different than a regular take out order?
I searched the forum, but nothing came up on this specific topic.
Thank you, everyone for your thoughts on this.

Natalie
Oct '12

Leaving a tip when I drive to a place and pick something up at the counter? Not in this lifetime...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '12

I have trouble searching at times as well, but I'm pretty sure there's another thread on this. Give it a few minutes. Someone will dig it up...

Lori...Since '73 Lori...Since '73
Oct '12

No tips for takeout

Al73
Oct '12

I tend to agree with ianimal.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Oct '12

How about this one - being charged a delivery fee in which the delivery fee goes to the driver. Should you still tip, or can you tip less because you know the delivery charge is going to the driver.

I was wondering this myself. I am never sure what to do when I pick up take out.

I never tip when i am picking up. only when delivery is involved by the establishment..

darlughh darlughh
Oct '12

I think people have gone tip happy. Tipping has gone overboard.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '12

emaxxman,

Probably because people are practically begging for tips these days. Tip jars everywhere....for everything. Making people feel like they HAVE to tip!

Oct '12

As far as catering goes... again, if I'm driving to a place of business and picking up trays of food myself, then no.

But, if they send a kid to deliver the food and set up the chafing dishes, etc., then I will give that kid a pretty hefty tip.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '12

Love the "tip" jar hanging from DD drive up window in Hackettstown. I ignore it.
They are doing a job and getting paid for it, no tip deserved. I do my job, get a paycheck and dont get tips. Yes, people are getting tip happy.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Oct '12

Thanks, all. I agree with you, ianimal - no one is delivering, I am picking up. So even if I do tip, it will be a few dollars and not the 20%. I will feel a little more confident about this now. Thanks!!!

Natalie
Oct '12

its nice to get a tip, especially if the person is relying on tips for money to live.

just my two cents.

unseenman
Oct '12

Lori - Agreed.

I don't even tip 15% at buffets.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '12

I will tip on pickup if it's a waiter/waitress that took my order and put my food together. Then I tip a few dollars.

Sunshine Sunshine
Oct '12

I'm with Sunshine. If it's waitstaff or the bartender who got the order together, I will tip. Just counter people, no.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

I don't tip for pickup, only if they have to wait/serve/deliver for me.

Tip-happy for sure, everywhere you look there's a tip jar.

tripsy tripsy
Oct '12

I love that they can't have a tip jar at the Starbucks in Target.

Blackcat Blackcat
Oct '12

I've also always wondered what the correct answer to this is and I just wanted to thank Natalie for posting the question :) I have tipped on take out, and I have not, but always wondered what other people did...

red76nj red76nj
Oct '12

Eh for me it depends on the person/situation and if I have any small bills when I'm picking up food for take out. I've been there and worked at that type of establishment where we served food but you came up to get it etc. I always liked a tip then but never expected one and was surprised when the tip was more than just the few coins that they were given as change and always enjoyed a kind word or small conversation more than the actual tip money.

I find that I tip quite well rarely under 20% and quite frequently even a bit more if I thought the service was really great. However today on Facebook a girl I know who is a waitress posted that she was offended when someone handed her a 20 for a bill that was 14.95 (or something quite close to that) and wanted change back. That really bothered me as a waiter/waitress i think it's very presumptious to expect anything more than 18-20% . I understand they really do work very hard and usually work mostly for tips but the custom in the US is about 18% why would you expect more?

Sorry to go a bit off topic it irked me though

Also sent from my iPhone sorry for any typos

The kid at Applebee's bringing the order to my car gets a buck. Tip jars at DD- $0.00

auntiel
Oct '12

I always tip..depends on how much the take out is... But usually a couple bucks if not more..

Mr. Tbone Mr. Tbone
Oct '12

HI Natalie: being in the business for many years...When picking up your own catering trays it is NOT customary (sp) to tip.. if however it was delivered then the driver would be tipped ONLY 5%...for his gas and time...:o)

scoop scoop
Oct '12

gratuity:
1. a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.
2. something given without claim or demand.

That pretty much implies that you *give* whatever you want. But it is a gift, not an obligation, so it's your choice. No one here can tell you how generous you should be. Only you know that.

justintime justintime
Oct '12

I wouldn't even think to tip if I was picking up my order, but I definitely tip for delivery. A funny thing happened the other night and this thread reminded me of it. I have NEVER had a delivery driver mention anything about a tip, money or anything of the sort. They will usually just take the money say thanks and go on their way.
A few nights ago we had a delivery which took a little longer than usual so when he came I said "oh, you must be busy tonight!" Well I guess this gave him an opening because he started to go on about how he was glad because they haven't been too busy and he hasn't made any money. He continued talking about how he was hoping to make up for the tips he missed out on. I have to say it was a bit awkward since It seemed like he was letting me know he would like a nice BIG tip lol! I am usually very generous to the drivers, but it was a little uncomfortable having him go on about the lack of tips he made recently. Had he caught me at a bad moment, I may have reconsidered giving him a tip at all!!!! I just can't stand when something is expected or asked for when it should be something that is just appreciated.

I was in a deli in PA and the young girl had a tip jar with a sign reading "Help Elizabeth go to college" I told her she should ask her parents. Im going to put a sign with a big envelope glued to my car saying "Help me pay for gas "

jerseycash5
Oct '12

More good stuff, thank you so much, everyone. I have to admit, I feel like a schleb (if that is even a word) when I pay for take out with a credit card, and that little line on the receipt says "gratuity" and I write a big fat zero in there. So to avoid feeling like a jerk, I will tip a dollar or two. But I agree with the majority of people here that it is a bit goofy to do this if there is no delivery, bringing to my table, etc. Perhaps I need to pay with cash more often or simply get over it! I appreciate all of this feedback - thank you again!!!

Natalie
Oct '12

Im a server and a manager at a well respected restaurant in town and I find a lot of times especially people in hackettstown, they find that they dont have to tip on a take out or catering, I even had someone not tip during a delivery (which we made a special occasion for seeing as we dont deliver) It isnt my job to bag your food and make sure the order is proper. I make 3 dollars an hour, and tips make up the rest of my wages. If you dont have the courtesy or the money to tip at least 20 percent you shouldnt be eating out or getting take out. Your stinginess is best received at home where you can make your own meal. In fact most servers will make it a point to remember people who want the sun,moon and stars handed to them when eating out or dining in but cant be bothered to tip properly and I encourage my team to serve less diligently to those who stiff them.

Concerned waiter Concerned waiter
Oct '12

When u have a service checkup for heating or A/Cwoukd u give the technician a small tip particularly if it is a free service checkup under your contract

melof-7 melof-7
Oct '12

Concerned waiter: Get another job or have your employer pay you a fair wage.

You say stinginess, I say non obligatory. I pay enough for my meal and no amount of whining changes that fact. And remember, a tip is NOT MANDATORY, no matter what you say. No amount of sob story will force people to tip more than they think is appropriate (see definitions above). Personally I will never tip 20%. I'm old enough to remember when tipping was socially acceptable at 10%, then it moved to 15%. Now, apparently, 20% is socially acceptable. I say no way, not unless my receipt is gold plated and worth something when I leave the restaurant.

I feel bad for wait staff because they work in an industry where it is socially acceptable for their employer to pay scrap wages, the *assumption* that their customers will pick up the bill for paying their staff salaries. The entire industry has gone crazy IMO and I'm left wondering if the trends will ever stop.

justintime justintime
Oct '12

I heard something very similar to this the other day on TV and there's a lot of buzz on the internet about, 30% tips. I usually tip @20%, less if it's really crappy service.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2012/09/the-30-percent-tip-why-you-cant-stop-it.html

PS I hope no one finds out where concerned waiter works..he might be surprised at what he gets and it would certainly not bring good publicity to his employer.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '12

Concerned waiter: "I encourage my team to serve less diligently to those who stiff them."
What exactly does this accomplish? NOTHING. Not a professional way to manage anything, you should be ashamed of yourself. Please tell us where you work so we can boycott the business.

justintime: "I'm old enough to remember when tipping was socially acceptable at 10%, then it moved to 15%"....so you refuse to tip 20%.
Wow. I remember when gas was $0.99 a gallon. Maybe I should only have to pay that. The question was "what is customary or appropriate" in TODAY'S society. Just because you remember a time when something was acceptable does not mean it is acceptable now.

Natalie
Oct '12

@Concerned waiter:

Stop whining or get another job. In Austrialia no one tips in resturants. And you forget that you have the advantage over me in that you can skim your cash tip income off your tax returns, and that is a luxury that I do not have!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Oct '12

It is so interesting that so many of you responded so negatively to my answer. Merely an opinion and you dont have to choose to agree with it, or not that choice is simple and yours. The rudimentary level of bullying on this website astonishes me and I fear in todays society where the youth is being bullied to every corner of their exististance this sets no positive example for anyone struggling. I find it even further interesting that I should feel "ashamed" of myself as indicated by Natalie . Why is that when two life styles dont meet up someone intervenes and tells YOU how to live your life. No one should worry about anyone except themselves and what they have to do. Also Mr. Negative I dont live in Austrialia and in America we do tip in restaurants. Days of slavery have long been eradicated therefore you have to pay for your service, otherwise dont receive it. Being served is a luxury and privilege not a rite.Part from greed once and awhile it will be okay.

Oct '12

Concerned:
No one is telling you how to live your life, you are way off base. What you should be ashamed of is correcting what you consider a wrong with another wrong. Have you not learned that two wrongs do not make a right? This thread is about picking up a take out order or catering order. Not a delivery, and not a regular sit down restaurant experience. I am a VERY generous tipper and am very kind to and appreciative of waitstaff - I also have worked in a restaurant and know what it feels like to be "stiffed". However if someone ordered food and came to pick it up, I would most certainly NOT expect a tip. That was a while ago, which is what prompted me to see what the consensus is today. I am sorry you felt the need to get so defensive and thought you were bullied, but your opinion is clearly in the minority.

Natalie
Oct '12

I ordered pizza at pizza hut in mansfield and my bill was about $16 or $17 dollars. When i gave the delivery guy the money with a $3 dollar tip he said something nasty under his breath . Needless to say i will never go to pizza hut again or have a delivery. I was so mad i almost called the store. Also i live about a mile from the store.

Willy Bee
Oct '12

"Days of slavery have long been eradicated therefore you have to pay for your service, otherwise dont receive it. Being served is a luxury and privilege not a rite.Part from greed once and awhile it will be okay."

Do I sense an "Occupy Applebees" movement coming on?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '12

LOL ianimal.

Rite or right? Once and awhile or once in awhile? ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

Calico,

Concerned waiter isn't concerned about his spelling/grammar. He's just concerned with filling his pockets. If he WERE to be tipped based on those, he would surely be poor...

Oct '12

Concerned waiter, since you inexplicably brought up bullying in this thread, aren't you just as guilty by saying that one shouldn't dine out unless one tips "at least 20%"? And if one doesn't, you instruct your staff to perform less than desirable service. I'll never understand the entitlement of waiters and servers. Yes, I've been a waitress and a delivery person.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '12

Hackettstown Life is the reason why people believe it is okay to bully or be bullied. I wouldnt be surprised if some of you are the reasons for some teen suicides based on your practices on the internet let alone what you do in real life.

Oct '12

LOL!!! That's exactly right - we went from "what should I tip" to "HL causes suicide". Unreal.

Natalie
Oct '12

Does anyone know if restaurants are supposed to by law pay minumum wage regardless of tips ? I was told by a business owner that they are but they still get away with it because the wait persons accept it. Oh and by the way I cant think of many well respected restaurants in the area.

jerseycash5
Oct '12

Suicide can only be caused by one person. The dead person. Otherwise, it's called murder.

Natalie - Unreal is right. Sigh....

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

WOW............................This is the reason threads get locked concerned waiter. Shame on you!

Christine Christine
Oct '12

jerseycash5,

"In the area" is open to interpretation, but I come up with a short list too. I guess we could visit them all and look for the guy with the buggest chip on his shoulder...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Oct '12

The "buggest" chip on his shoulder? Does the grammar police department have an "internal affairs" division? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '12

LMAO, Thanks for catching that. I wouldn't want anyone looking for the wrong thing, haha. Good thing I'm not relying on that for tips :P

Let's look for the guy with the biggest chip on his shoulder!

Oct '12

"people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Oct '12

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part time about 7 years ago. You don't get minimum wage. You get like $2 an hour. I think only hostesses get minimum wage, but they still get part of tips. "To-go" was the same. You get pennies per hour. So next time you get a "To-go" order, think about that.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

"When u have a service checkup for heating or A/Cwoukd u give the technician a small tip particularly if it is a free service checkup under your contract"

It's not a free service. There is nothing free in this world. You paid for the service with your contract.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '12

Simplicity:

Fortunately we live in the USA, which means that unless government changes the law, tipping is the way we do it. We have always been a country that relies on each other more than we do our government, financially. It is true that if a restaurant does not bring in the clientele for the staff to make at least minimum wage then the restaurant is supposed to compensate wages in the paycheck.

Other countries also pay for their citizens to have lot of other amenities that we do not and vise versa...and there are many poorer countries than ours.

As far as tipping for picking up take-out, yes, it is at your discretion. Although, you have to remember that the staff did prepare your ticket to make sure everything was rung in and bagged properly, so you really should leave a dollar or two, that would make the staff happy. 20% on a take-out order is out of line.

20% percent tip on full waiter service. You have to remember that a percentage of that tip is also is contributed to tip-out others who work in the restaurant.

10% is a perfect tip for catering delivery & set up. It is not full service. 20% for full service catering where the staff stays and serves the food which is usually included in the bill but not always.

*give or take a little if service is exceptional or bad, this is your way of telling the staff what you "really" thought.
*It is always a good idea to be upfront honest and courteous with your waiter, and you should always expect the same in return.

LoveOfTheRestaurant
Oct '12

Funny YOU should say that, bothered.... SIGH

At least I can own it and laugh about it. Try it sometime.

What was the TOPIC again?

Oct '12

Concerned waiter I am sure your employer would love to know his managment team encourages their employees to provide less then stellar service on purpose. What a great business practice . If it is not the establishment employees job to bag and prepare the orders correctly whose job is it. Going out to eat is a privledge you say. How so ? It is a product that is being payed for. A tip is to be earned. If service sucks then it is not a patrons problem just to pay your salary for nothing. As a manager it is your job to assure each member of the staff is giving there best effort. It is encouragment to provide bad service that leaves establishments empty and the next thing you know you are in the unemployment line and not understanding why people stopped showing up and now you have no job.

CW, you fail to mention whether good service should be provided to receive a %20 tip, just that we should all 'automatically' tip %20 on takeout, catering, delivery, etc.

Now I tip, and tip well. But if I get poor service, and it has to be really poor, I'll tip 15%or %10 if exceptionally bad. It's not an entitlement, it's not automatic, it has to be earned or at least earned to some level. And if you keep directing your team to 'serve less diligently' isn't that eliminating the possibility of getting a good tip in the first place? Kind of starts a cycle. A cycle that may well lead to your restaurant not being well respected. Just sayin. And I do have one question. A manager only makes $3/hr? Wow, that's low. Hope you don't take this as bullying.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '12

HAHAHA! How's that?

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Oct '12

"Wow. I remember when gas was $0.99 a gallon. Maybe I should only have to pay that."

Natalie, percentages are different than price increases due to inflation. Ten percent of a gallon of gas in years gone by isn't the same dollar amount as %10 of today's price, is it?

Taking your logic further, along the lines of the 30% article posted by Bessie earlier, I'd ask what if it became "customary" to tip %100 percent of the bill?

The whole point of tipping - thanking one for their service - is gone. Today we tip because societal pressure says we *must*, whether or not we think the service is above average or not. No, we tip because we know that servers aren't paid descent wages and that our tip is the bulk of their wages. The industry operates on the assumption that people *will* tip, thus pushing the responsibility of paying their employees wages onto customers. Irresponsible on their part, really.

"The question was "what is customary or appropriate" in TODAY'S society. Just because you remember a time when something was acceptable does not mean it is acceptable now."

So my choices are dictated by society? If I were a sheep, maybe, but since I'm not...

justintime justintime
Oct '12

Concerned Waitor.... All I have to say is OMG! I have been a waitress for 12 years in this town and currently still waitressing and I can't believe what you are saying. You give us servers a bad name!!

To me I am blessed I have a job that supports me and my kids along with my husband job. Sure I get upset when I get a crappy tip here and there but I make the best of it and move on to my other tables and push to try harder. I make my $2 a hour and still at the end of the day make out good. Not to sound conceeded but I rarely get a bad tip besides breakfast time sometimes. If its a slow day or night I just don't make extra when it's really busy and I make more then normal. Usually at the end of the week I break even!

As far as to go orders even if you leave a dollar it's not goin to hurt your pocket and shows you do appreciate. I well over top anywhere I go and that's because I have served for so long. But when someone comes to my job and takes a to go order over the phone or the counter I do take time to put it together for you.

To tell people they shouldn't go out if they can't afford it is plan out RUDE!! Some people don't know the restaurant business and how it is runned. I sure would hate you to wait on me with that attitude!

I know the economy is hurting and I take that in consideration. For anyone that knows me I try my hardest to make sure you leave happily so you do come back :) tipping a certain percent doesn't bother me. Rudeness of some people erks me more but that's just me. I always great everyone with a smile and some people don't answer back and that to me bothers me more.

Well good luck to everyone. Hope I cleared some thing up!

HeatherS HeatherS
Oct '12

justintime, "percentages are different than price increases due to inflation".
I disagree. I think tipping is of those social morays that we have to adjust to as things change, just like inflation.
I think your example of tipping coming to 100% of the bill does not really seem plausible to me because I cannot imagine that society will accept that.
No one is claiming that you are a sheep - however you do conform to behave appropriately in social situations for the culture you live in, no? Shaking hands? Wearing clothes to cover your body? Etc?
I think tipping is the same. It is a socially acceptable thing to do, hence the question on how much for take out or catering.
I see your points, and understand what you are saying, however I just respectfully disagree.

Natalie
Oct '12

Do you tip in the tipping jar at Rita's or the bagel place? Do you tip when there is no tipping jar, like at Petsmart grooming?

This tipping stuff is driving me nuts. All the anxiety. Do I? How much?

I am going to need Obamacare soon for the heart attack I am getting worrying about tipping.

TM

Troublemaker Troublemaker
Oct '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.