Tilcon Lake

Has anyone fished Tilcon Lake in Allamuchy State Park ?

Mr. Fish
Jun '12

Yes..They are big in there!!!!

Mr.M Mr.M Message Mr.M
Jun '12

Mr. M, exactly where can you access the lake? I grew up in Saxton Falls but so much has changed up there in that area. That lake was just a big hole in the ground.

RM- It is just over the bridge on the left on Kinney road. The state finally purchased that land several years ago once Tilcon left.

I came across this website once while searching for something. It has some very nice photos of the area.

http://www.danbalogh.com/tilcon.html

Greg Greg Message Greg
Jun '12

Thanks Mr.M. what kind of fish are in there?

Mr. Fish
Jun '12

Can someone explain to me where it is located. i just know from what I found it is off of Waterloo Road? Can someone be more specific I do not know where Kinney Road is. Besides them stocking it with landlocked Salmon what other kind of fish are caught there? I don't see it listed on NJ Fish and Game website. Thank you so much.

Colin Donegan Colin Donegan Message Colin Donegan
February 23rd

Colin- Kinney Road is three miles from Route 206 on County Road 604 (Waterloo Road) not far from the Warren/Sussex county line. If traveling from Hackettstown, Kinney road is just after the former Waterloo concert field on the right.

I don't believe there are landlocked salmon stocked there. Have caught bass and pickerel. Supposed to be northern pike in there too.

Pickerel city and some small bass.

Trout became pickerel dinner.

Salmon were talked about but never stocked.

Landlocked Salmon are 18-20 inches right now and waiting for the ice out so they can be stocked. Could be a little bit of everything in there becasue the Musconetcong River flooded into there years back.

fishmaker1 fishmaker1 Message fishmaker1
February 24th

Fishmaker- Are those for aeroflex stocking?

I need to buy some poles and tackle... haven't gone fishing for years, but would enjoy going out for a relaxing day once in a while again...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc. Message Mark Mc.
February 25th

nyrguy

No the 200 bigger salmon are all going in Tilcon this Spring. Lake Aeroflex and Wawayanda received a bunch of 14-15 inchers late fall. Check the website njfishandwildlife.com for actual numbers. Have you tried for these salmon in the past? We don't here alot about them, but these bigger fish should show up better.

February 25th

I fish aeroflex. Never see a landlocked being caught. May be stocked too small to survive the pickerel.

Anyone know how much ice on Tilcon Lake?

I fish Tilcon often with my kayak. I have caught huge Largemouth Bass, Pickerel,Perch,Catfish, and Bluegill. Last year I caught 2 Northern Pike. I called Hackettstown hatchery and they said they did not stock them. The hatchery website says they stocked Smallmouth Bass there but I have yet to catch one. I have seen giant grass carp in there as well. I have a fish finder on my kayak and it shows depths to 60 ft. and large areas of 30 to 40 ft.. If you are coming from Rt.206. Kinney Rd. is the next left after you go under Rt.80. Just after you go over the bridge over the Musconetcong river there is a large iron gate on the left. It is locked but you can walk around it. The lake is 100+ yards in from the gate.

tae111 tae111 Message tae111
March 16th

Fishmaker1 - Have the landlocks been stocked at Tilcon yet?

nyrguy
7 days ago

Tentatively scheduled for thursday waiting for a press release to go out. We wanted to let the opening day of trout pass first.

7 days ago

I hope to join a hiking group late Spring. Have decided to make it a new hobby. This looks like a great place to explore! If any green hikers are interested please pm me.

Kit Kat Kit Kat Message Kit Kat
7 days ago

Been thinking of doing the same myself Kit Kat. I need to shed a few pounds (or more lol) and would love to do it hiking. Maybe post a thread to see if there is more interest?

justintime justintime Message justintime
7 days ago

Me too Jit I thought it would be a fun way to get fit. I love nature. I will post a thread.

Kit Kat Kit Kat Message Kit Kat
7 days ago

Thanks fishmaker1.

Do you also stock the pike in cranberry lake? Don't hear alot about those being caught either.

nyrguy
7 days ago

We do stock pike in Cranberry and don't here much about them. I talk to a bunch of bass guys and they don't catch many. We may be rethinking that soon. Don't like to waste fish.

7 days ago

Guessing the stocked pike are too small to survive all the pickerel in Cranberry Lake.

nyrguy
6 days ago

Fishmaker1 - what does it take to have a lake considered for a new stocking?

nyrguy
6 days ago

It has to be recomended by regional biologists at the lebanon fisheries lab. They would have to do some studying/sampling probably. What are you thinking, I can try and run it past them.

5 days ago

Fishmaker do you think there will be reduced stocking again next year? I'm liking the Little Flat Brook not getting stocked this year. No fishermen to leave garbage in my yard.

M & K M & K Message M & K
5 days ago

Thinking there are some 50 acre lakes in the area that have lots of smaller fish. Ex: Jefferson lake, allamuchy pond. Having a small stocking of pike might add a predator to the system and by reducing some numbers of fish and improve the overall fishery.

nyrguy
5 days ago

They are going to do everything possible to make sure the hatchery is disease free, so I would guess things are going to be back to normal for 2015. Sorry to here your property gets littered by anglers. Most true sportsmen would never litter and many would pick up after others. There are always a few bad apples.

5 days ago

The hatchery is stocking landlocked salmon in Tilcon Lake today Thursday the 17th around noon if anyone is interested in checking it out. Should be some photos on the Division Website next week. www.njfishandwildlife.com.

2 days ago

Fishmaker1 - Did they do any type of fish survey or electroschock to know what is in Tilcon Lake prior to the stocking? I' ve seen that data for other lakes. How do they gather it?

nyrguy
1 day ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Tilcon Lake
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Your Web Site (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.