Hackettstown Photographers - Watch your backs

This guy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23746554@N04/

Favorited one of my Hackettstown images. I looked at his stream and he makes composites. Great. I didn't get any mail asking to use my image, and apparently other people whose images are already used didn't either. If you are on flickr or another image-sharing site and you don't like your pictures used without your consent, I reccommend you block this guy fast since he seems to be amassing Hackettstown/M&M imagery right now.

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Jun '12

Thanks for the heads up, Some Guy. There's actually an image I recognize from another photog friend of mine on the Phillipsburg composite he made.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '12

It looks an awful lot like applebee's interiors....

trekster3 trekster3
Jun '12

All I see is a bunch of photos from Applebees and some kids.

Christine Christine
Jun '12

My daughter in HHS just brought home a permission slip allowing pics of her as a student to be put up in Applebees..Not sure if the two are related...

reedfamilyrocks reedfamilyrocks
Jun '12

Those pictures were taken at the Applebees in West Seneca, NY

OP I am well aware of that as one of the pictures says that.

Christine Christine
Jun '12

This is why I don't post on Flikr. Personal choice... sacrificing exposure for preventing theft.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '12

Thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated!

SportShotsLive LLC SportShotsLive LLC
Jun '12

Christine....you had to kind of seach for his pic. I think it was in favorites.

Firefly Firefly
Jun '12

Yeah I am kind of glad I do no tuse those sites. I just burn my pictures on a disc and print the ones I like.

Christine Christine
Jun '12

UPDATE!

Sent the guy the following message:

Copyright and Fair Use

" http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html

"How much do I have to change in order to claim copyright in someone else's work?

Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create, a new version of that work. Accordingly, you cannot claim copyright to another's work, no matter how much you change it, unless you have the owner's consent. See Circular 14, Copyright Registration for Derivative Works."

You are aware of this, right?"

GOT THE FOLLOWING REPLY!

"Hi There,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

We have copyright on our design of the murals (What? Murals full of images you stole? - I added that part - Art). We had asked to include you image to represent the community in the Hackettstown Applebee's.

The image would only be used for this location and we give credit by putting your name and info next to the image.

Are you interested? Please let me know.

Thank you,

-Nicole"

This is the first time they contacted me. The image in question is still listed as copyright, all rights reserved on flickr. I have not yet given any such consent.

If anyone at the Hackettstown Applebees sees this, please alert your management. If any good samaritans want to alert the Applebees staff, that would probably be a good idea too.

I am sure that they would not like their organization or the greater Applebees organization to be opened up to huge copyright infringement lawsuits by multiple parties.

Jun '12

Art - if I were you, I would also file this report: https://support.google.com/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1386831

That way, the picture does not come up in a google search, and he receives notification of your official complaint / cease and desist.

I did this for a Galapagos image that was stolen on Pixdaus (renowned thieves) and google removed Pixdaus's page from results (when you google my name). Pixdaus was also given notice of the legal complaint, and they took down my image (when they simply ignored my direct request to them).

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '12

None of my images are stolen yet, I just want others to know what is going on and for those who have been wronged and who may be wronged in the future to know as well.

I also just got back from the Phillipsburg Applebees, and this image:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23746554@N04/6230885162/in/photostream
Is already on their front entrance.

I contacted the one person whose images I could match and they did not give permission or even know about it. They do now. And they have photographic evidence of the mural's existence now, too. :)

edit: I saw none of the mentioned "credit" they claim to give. And even if they give credit, that does not let them out of the copyright law.

Jun '12

Great web-app that will assist in photo theft ID:

http://www.tineye.com/about

SportShotsLive LLC SportShotsLive LLC
Jun '12

Good news! (not) My wifey just told me that Hackettstown Applebees has some new decorations! If you are a photographer in the immediate or surrounding area that posts any of your work online, you should probably go check the walls there...You might find something familiar.

There's lots of police, fire, school, and parade images adorning the walls, so good luck and I hope you haven't been f'd in the a. ;)

Jul '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.