Visiting Chicago, Suggestions!

Recent college grads visiting Chicago for first time. Looking for ideas on things/places to see, to eat at, to experience, restaurants/bars, etc. It's a Wednesday - Monday road trip in august so ideas for along the way are welcomed too. We plan to stop over possibly in Cleveland on the way out (for a night) and maybe check out Nortre Dame on the way back. We know it's a lot of driving but in the end cheaper than flying. We've got some ideas on google and tourism books but maybe others have ideas. Hope to visit Wrigley's Field for a baseball game and to check out Michael Jordan land.Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions!

ChicagoBound
Jun '11

I LOVE CHICAGO!!!! One of my favorite cities. You cannot miss Wrigley Field. Such a great stadium, with such a cool amount of bars surrounding it. You can also take the train to US Cellular Field and catch a White Sox game, if they are in town.

There is a ton of touristy stuff to do. Navy Pier (beer garden alert!), sightseeing river cruises, shopping on the Magnificent Mile. There is a popcorn shop on the Mag Mile that has popcorn to die for. Can't remember the name right now. Will have to Google it and post it later.

Check out the Billy Goat Tavern, ride the el train, have some deep dish pizza, go to the top of the Sears Tower, hang out at bars in The Loop. So much to do, so little time.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

Here it is:

http://www.garrettpopcorn.com/

You may also want to check out this Forum, very helpful.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g35805-i32-Chicago_Illinois.html

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

Wrigley Field, and leave time for the bars afterward. Try to pick one of the few days of summer if possible.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jun '11

Reggie - What about time for bars before? Before and after is my philosophy! ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

When i went i did the Sightseeing cruise and navy pier.. the trip was a lot of fun!

darluggh darluggh
Jun '11

Cleveland --- The Flats (bar district)

Chicago --- Navy Pier (used to be Tuesday fireworks but who knows). Museum of Contemporary Art is great as is the loop and the magnificant mile. Even a ride on the L can be fun, pretend you are in Risky Business.... Irish pubs, ribs, HUGE steaks... We used to stay at the Sofitel just above the pier and close to Mag Mile. They are $245 per night but used to have much better rates over the weekend, like much, much better. And they have rooms on "the point" that have must be close to 40-60 feet of glass wrapping around two sides of your bed but in like a triangle point not like a 90-degree angle. One bank of windows looks to the lake, the other the city. Got to be way high up, sometimes smoking setion is even higher..... Man, what a view.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jun '11

Billy Goat Tavern on YouTube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guQzlA86BJA

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

having lived in Chicago for 8 years, here's my suggestions:

Ribs - Twin Anchor's on Sheffield

Stuffed Pizza - Giardano's N. Rush St.

Burgers - Mister J's N. State St. (order a Dagwood)

Italian Beef Sandwich - Al's #1 on West Taylor (in the loop)

Hot dogs - Wiener's Circle on N. Clark (don't go before midnight)

After the Cub's game, go to the Cubby Bear

Take a walk through Lincoln Park Zoo, it's free and it's a great zoo. Go down to Grant Park and take a picture in front of Buckingham fountain. Go to the Art Institute. Stay away from chain restaurants, Chicago is full of great food.

Porkman Porkman
Jun '11

Are you going out for the Kaplan Graduation? I will be there to!!!

SarahS SarahS
Jun '11

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep them coming!
Also if anyone has ideas for places on the road to Chicago and back ( places in Cleveland / Nortre Dame ) please jot em down.

ChicagoBound
Jun '11

Cleveland - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Canton, Ohio - Pro Football Hall of Fame

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

Don't mind me, I keep thinking of other stuff....LOL

About an hour's drive north of Chicago, is Milwaukee. The home of MILLER Brewing Co.!!!!!! Fun tour.

This is another cool joint in Cleveland. Fat Fish Blue. It's a converted warehouse type restaurant with live music.

http://www.fatfishblue.com

A very good Spanish/Portuguese restaurant in Cleveland is Mallorca.

http://www.clevelandmallorca.com

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

Cleveland metro park zoo

how dareing are you ?

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jun '11

I <3 Chicago so much! Such a great town. The Magnificent Mile is a must if you're into shopping, Navy Pier is cool, and if you like Museums I personally enjoyed the museum of science and industry a lot. You will have so much fun! :)

Sandy Sandy
Jun '11

Campus of Notre Dame is wonderful. We had a student tour (hopefully they are available
in the summer) very, very informative. Went to mass at the Basilica, inside the Golden Dome where the painting on the ceilings are magnificent. Ate at Legends of Notre Dame right on campus and full of ND memorabilia. Bookstore is huge and fun! Campus is just about one mile off RT. 80, Lovely campus just to walk around.

vicnity vicnity
Jun '11

If you go to the John Hancock Building, don't pay $15 to take the elevator to the observatory on the 94th floor. You can go to the Signature Lounge on the 95th floor for free and get yourself a delicious $14 martini instead... (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jun '11

Shedd Aquarium !! It will take you almost an entire day its huge ! And a walk thru Cloud Gate but go early bc the park closes at 10 I think. And there is a free zoo in Chicago that is great, I can't remember the name but it is not the Lincoln Park Zoo (that one stunk)

JerseyJeepGirl JerseyJeepGirl
Jun '11

JerseyJeepGirl,

the Lincoln Park Zoo is free. The other zoo is the Brookfield zoo, which is a great zoo, but it's pay to enter. And yes, Shedd Aquarium is great.

Porkman Porkman
Jun '11

Ianimal --- now that's a suggestion !!!!! Might I suggest Wedsday at 9pm so you can catch the Navy Pier fireworks (from a barge) at 9.30 or they shoot em off at 10.15 on Saturday. I like to double dip my drinking experiences so don't beat me with a bat.... :>)

How about Top of the Mark Hotel lounge in San Fran just before sunset; one of the highest points in SF and has view of golden gate. then off the the trolley and down to the Wharf for dinner

Or -- the rotating bar in the Marriot NYC just before you go to a Broadway Show: gives you reason to get there early since I think it takes an hour or so to go round once.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jun '11

ah thank you, its been a few years since i've been there but i remembered the free zoo was the great one !

JerseyJeepGirl JerseyJeepGirl
Jun '11

Mr. G - There is a revolving bar at the Hotel Monteleone in NOLA as well. It's called the Carousel Bar. Tons of fun. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.