pump house

meeting some friends at the pump house for dinner.... haven't been there is a long time.... any suggetions on whats good there??

dismom dismom
May '11

The Veggie Burger --- tee hee ---- have a great time!

trekster3 trekster3
May '11

I've had a pretty reasonable regular burger as well.

Burger's pretty good. As is the filet mignon

ComputerSharp ComputerSharp
May '11

For dinner I would check the special board, they have a great pot roast, sometimes have sea scallops that are fantastic as well.

I had a great lamb shank there the other night that fell off the bone. Lots better choices for dinner then a burger.

mark

duck

Dweezle
Jun '11

The Pump House is the only place DH will order Duck. They cook it just the way he likes. I think they make a great Pump House Burger as well.

joyful joyful
Jun '11

Amazinlgy, the Pump House is the only place this DH will duck the order --- heh heh.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jun '11

joyful - For duck, Willow Tree Inn, Stroudsburg

http://www.willowtreeinn.biz/

We were there about a year ago after not going for many years. DH had the pot roast and loved it. I had the chicken caesar salad, which was good but was served on too small a plate and it was going all over the place when I tried cutting it.....LOL Our esteemed guest had the burger and seemed to enjoy it. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

Thanks, GC, I will tell him. Plan to take a trip up that way soon anyway, I want to go back to Floods restaurant as well.

joyful joyful
Jun '11

joyful - Better floods than the other fake Grace O'Malley the hotel split their bars into. Either Floods for Irish-American, or Siamsa for Irish-Irish. If you liked Zaytun's food then Cedar's on 8th Street is great, just not really much of a place to sit since they do a lot of take out. If you want good coffee & desert go to Everbody's Cafe in the huge Victorian close to the Ninth St intersection. You can get a good meal there too, but you have to wait and wait because they do no prep and it's all from scratch the moment you order it. That can be a good thing if you want to pass time, or a really bad thing if you're in a hurry. But all the baked goods are the one thing made a head of time - so afternoon snack time is a great thing.

GC: Went to the Siamsa Irish Pub when they first opened up. It was OK but nothing I could really rave about. Now Floods..hopefully will be as good as I remembered.. That was DH's and my date place and their beer battered veggies were wonderful!

joyful joyful
Jun '11

joyful - Siamsa as Irish is more about the liquid than the solid. ;-)

I've been to Siamsa about five times and have only eaten there once. Slainte! ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

I have never been to the Pump House, but someone told me it has terrible food.

mona - Do a forum search, there are past reviews. The opinions have definitely varied.

I see here that it is well liked. I listen to others opinions, both pro and con, but never make a decision until I try it myself. :)

That's good practice, mona. People's tastes vary widely, and even in terms of things like the service, things that bother one person do not bother another and vice versa.

As far as the Pump House goes, my husband and I go very regularly and we usually enjoy what we order. I can think of very few things that I did not like, but it was generally a matter of taste and not the food being bad.

They have a smoked scallop special that I love. Comes over fettucine with a light cream sauce - yum, yum, yum.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '11

Went once and that was enough for me and DH. Every single dish we had was really not good. Even the salad was pathetic. This was a Saturday night. Don't need to try again. Even the "waitress", who was quite frightening looking, kind of made the decision for me also. To each their own.

blackcat blackcat
Jun '11

I have never been there for dinner, only after-work appetizers with the girls, so I can't tell you what to get, but I do have one recommendation for you. If it's a nice night, request to sit outside by the river. They have a little privacy fence set up so you don't see the road, and it's peaceful and lovely. Very scenic! :)

Sandy Sandy
Jun '11

"Even the "waitress", who was quite frightening looking...."

LMAO blackcat, I just spit water on my keyboard!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

I'd have to agree with Blackcat, been there twice and was not impressed with the food or the service. Will spend my money somewhere else.

Jackie Jackie
Jun '11

OP update...
i had the Sugar Salmon over Baby Greens
With a sesame-ginger vinaigrette .. it was very good.....
so based on this experience I would go again....

dismom dismom
Jun '11

Ohhh....my family and I went there a couple of months ago for the first time in forever...and then went 2 more times after. Each time we all had different dishes...and I must say, everything was absolutely DELICIOUS!!!!!!!! It is my new favorite place now when we decide to go to dinner.

Htownlifer Htownlifer
Jun '11

We went to try the Pump House this weekend for the first time and left feeling mixed about it.

My husband had the pot roast which was excellent but the mashed potatoes that accompanied it tasted like boxed mashed potatoes. Now, we've eaten our share of boxed mashed potatoes but when we go out to a restaurant, we do expect homemade mashed potatoes. That was very, very disappointing.

I had the crab cakes which I ordered only because the menu said, "Mostly crab, entirely delicious!"...but they were definitley not mostly crab. Mostly some sort of breaded filling.

Our tossed salads were fine - fresh and simple. And the herb roll (we received one plain roll and one herb roll in the bread basket) was delicious.

We sat outside and enjoyed the sound of the river - the patio dining was an enjoyable experience.

Our waitress was friendly and the service was great.

So all in all, we said we might go back again for some drinks on the outdoor patio but probably wouldn't jump at returning for the food.

Jules Jules
Jul '11

Went to the Pump House for dinner tonight with DH. It was Wonderful! I had the Roasted Red Pepper and Gouda Soup. House salad, Filet Mignon(med-rare) cooked perfect. DH had Clams, house salad, Lobster tail scampi. We shared a chocolate dessert. Great job Chef! We haven't been there in a while, but we'll be back soon!!!! :)

luckygirl luckygirl
Jul '11

Honestly, I've been to pump house a couple times... not that great. very mediocre at best. Sauce out of a jar. Did I say, not that good? Would not go back again. My opinion is there are much better restaurants.

htown kenny
Jul '11

Haven't been to the Pump House for a couple of years. Never thought it was anything to write home about, but it wasn't awful, either....

Maybe it's time to give it another go.

Siamsa in Stroudsburg is OK, but nothing more than that. Grace O'Malley's, the Siamsa wanna-be down the street is also OK, but the dollar domestic draft pints make it at least a four-star restaurant for those of us who appreciate good value!

I haven't been back to the Willowtree in over 20 years. Went their soon after I married my now ex-wife. We were the only people in the place and the hostess sat me in a seat where someone had previously spilled some nice, cold water. Food was mediocre, but I guess things can change in 20 years. I was almost going to go back there again, but one day I saw an older man and a worker hauling a mop bucket full of some pretty nasty wastewater out to the back to dump, so I put my plans on hold.

BTW, Stroudsburg has done a nice job with their Main Street. Outdoor dining (tables on sidewalk) is fairly pleasant, except for the occasional assclown on a straight-pipe Harley or tuner-boy who thinks everyone is impressed bythe noise level of their vehicular exhaust.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jul '11

The seared duck breast at Pandan is excellent. And for the pot roast lover, their beef rendang (Indonesian style pot roast) is also great. In fact, have always had excellent meals there - freshly prepared, delivered hot to your table. A very professionally run business and a real treasure.

doctorwu
Jul '11

We have been going to the Pump House for many years,, the food is great ,, the prices are reasonable,, great service and a nice group of people... The best onion soup I have ever had,, we take our family and grandkids there and they all love it,, try it you'll like it...

BlueFishEd BlueFishEd
Jul '11

miserable food. service very unrefined and crass at times-- can hear servers unsavory conversations with bar patrons. sorry, used to be a favorite spot, too.

Gen3Townie Gen3Townie
Jul '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.