New Japanese Restaurant in Hackettstown?

Has anyone heard the 411 on the new japanese restaurant "little toyko" located on mountain ave. in Hackettstown. It's about time they opened another japanese restaurant, hopefully its cheaper then Fujiyama LOL.

Cooper Cooper
Mar '11

Are they open?

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '11

The sign still says Coming Soon!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Mar '11

There is a Little Tokyo in Morristown. I wonder if it's the same owner.

Bryan Bryan
Mar '11

OOOh, didn't think of that, Bryan. The one in Morristown is pretty good.

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Mar '11

Was there a little Tokyo or at least a Japanese restaurante on 46E in Budd Lake that closed down a couple years ago? Nagano in Morristown across from the Frog is really good. Great Sushi and nice atmosphere. Loved living in Morristown after college great food.

Matt - Yes, they Japanese place was in the old go-go bar Limericks. Don't recall the name. It's been closed for years.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '11

Nagano was where I first had sushi. I loved sitting at the sushi bar and tasting all the different types of fish. I haven't been there for quite a while. I love Minados on Rt 10 west near Powder Mill. Great buffet!!!

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Mar '11

Any news yet? Open?

Nicholas Nicholas
Mar '11

i drove by today, 4/20, the sign said open.

mj elmo mj elmo
Apr '11

Has anyone seen anyone there yet?

I just called them and they said they opened on Monday. They do not have Hibachi, but are are Japanese and Asian fusion, with Korean dishes and the like. The also have sushi/sashimi

Is anyone interested in an impromptu HL lunch one day next week?

Yes Little Toyko opened on Monday 4/18. We went Tuesday night and were very pleased. It is very fresh and very tasty. I did not see a Hibachi section, for those of you who like hibachi. Prices are comparable to Fujiama, if you've even been there. The people are very nice and It's a BYO, which is great. You definitely need to sit down and try it. Alot of people were coming in to get take out menus. Nice atmosphere. I hope you'll all try it out.

Josephine Josephine
Apr '11

Cbel: I would have loved to try that out too with the HL group, but next week will be at Convention in AC most of the week. Sounds really good..

joyful joyful
Apr '11

do they have a website?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '11

cbel, I could go for lunch next week at this new place -- I used to get my nails done there when it was Young Nails II, lol! I'd love to see how it looks inside!

So how is Wednesday, 4/27, at 12:30? Would you like to make a new thread or shall I?

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town
Apr '11

Hopeful: Thanks for the offer, but you have enough to do. I'm just glad you're interested.

They are open! It is cheaper than Fujiyama, especially if you go there for lunch. The food here is fantastic and the waiters are friendly and helpful.

Food was very good there. DH liked the sushi. I had a box dinner. It was a lot of food, and very tasty. Will def go back!

KathyDG
May '11

I took my daughter tonight because she kept bugging me to go. We liked it.

Metsman Metsman
May '11

too bad. i was excited to see a new place... in town. but the sushi i ordered was expensive but the quality of food was very bad. all rice and no content. had to take all the rice off just to taste the little amount of ingredients... not worth the money for sushi rolls ... i ordered simple average rolls... shrimp tempura roll, spicy tuna roll, and eel and avocado roll. they have been open for 2 months. you think they would try harder... with every order.. but nope.
i was disappointed. i guess for now if you want sushi fujiyama is the only place still... darn

jisoul jisoul
Jun '11

Like most places, I am not surprised to see mixed reviews of a what I find to be a really good place - I've learned to give mixed reviews a shot and pass on places that get ALL bad reviews :) Went today with wife and kids. Son loved the miso soup and chicken stirfry noodle dish (sorry forgot what it was called). My wife and I had rolls, mostly vegetarian rolls (the sweet potato tempura was an excellent finishing roll, very tasty). Everything was fantastic and the waitresses were delightful and friendly. Overall, I really enjoyed it, the food was great and the inside is BEAUTIFUL, very nicely designed and comfy!

Ookla the Mok Ookla the Mok
Jun '11

Soon to be announced: The next HL lunch is scheduled for Little Tokyo on Friday, July 15.

I went there last weekend with my wife and we enjoyed. We will be going back. I will also be bringing my office employees there for birthday celebrations, holiday parties, etc.

Jonathan Stone Jonathan Stone
Jun '11

My wife and I went there tonight And everything was wonderful. food was perfect.... the waitresses greeted us at the door even though they were very busy. We will definitely be going back....

john z
Jun '11

My buddy went there with his wife and kids during the week, said he really enjoyed it. I love BYOB places, too. Bringing some decent saki without breaking the bank!

Bruin Bruin
Jun '11

So last night Bergey and I, MIL & DD went to Little Tokyo. We decided we were due a treat. I had to force Bergey and MIL. They are afraid of new things. DD and I love new things. SO we truly enjoyed it. The service was impeccable, the watress explained everything when asked. DD and I had the Honeymoon sushi. It was absolutley delish! We all were not fans of the miso soup that came with it. It was a lil too salty for me and I really don't like the flavor at all. Bergey had the crab & vegetable Tempura. Unfortunatley the crab was imitation (which he doesnt mind but I do) so he was pleased. MIL had the shrimp & vegetable tempura and I tasted it and it was delish also. The vegetable were asparagus, sweet potato, mushroom and a white potato. Oh I forgot that we shared a fish & vegetable pancake as an appetizer that was enough for all of us to a have generous taste. It was really good. Drinks they serve in cans which I would rather see fountain drinks. Their green tea also came froim a can. We came away feeling full and happy with our meal. I would recommend it to anyone. Although it wasnt cheap we spent $90 with the tip for the 4 of us.

Christine Christine
Jul '11

Beautifully decorated, serene, fantastic food, great presentation!!! The staff is very nice! We will definitley be going back!!!

Just went for my 5th time to Little Tokyo and was not disappointed. We always sit at the Sushi Bar area as we usually order rolls and Sashimi. Everything is always very fresh and the head sushi chef, Tommy(sp,?), came from the famed Nobu. Feel free to ask for some off the menu specialties from Chef Tommy, and you won't be disappointed. Always enjoyed Fujiyama, and still do, but if you haven't tried Little Tokyo yet, you should! Still fairly new, but hasn't been as crowded as it deserves to be..

Just curious, how does the chef from Nobu end up in little ol' Hackettsburg? Smells fishy to me. ;o)

Tracy Tracy
Jul '11

I was wondering the same!
There are 9 Nobu's in the US, Tommy claims to have come from the San Diego Nobu. Based on some of the off-the-menu stuff he made for our group the past few visits (i.e. Whitefish Sashimi with jalapeno with Yuzu soy, lime and Cilantro), I have no reason to doubt him. I wish I can afford to eat there more often, but will be back soon.

I finally got a chance to try out some of their menu items and was very pleasantly surprised. The sushi and sashimi is very fresh and they have created some very tasty combinations for the numerous rolls they have available. I find the quality to be better and the price less expensive than Fujiyama and will return to Little Tokyo as often as i can. Atmosphere pleasant, environment very clean.

christina christina
Sep '11

I went and it was good. It was not Nobu, but in Hackettstown do you expect Nobu. It was fresh, tasty and well prepared. I will go back. +side if it is a Nobu chef at least we are not paying Nobu prices. Nobu would be 10 times as expensive based on rent prices alone.

Steve-0 Steve-0
Sep '11

I really enjoyed the food there when we went for our HL lunch. Hoping to drag DH there soon for dinner. He loves sushi and sashimi, but hates BYOB.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

I like it also BUT not crazy about miso soup. It tastes salty to me I asked them about it and they said thats pretty normal. So the next time I declined the soup and they gave me another side for free. LOVE it there! Wish I could go there more often!! YUMMY!

Christine Christine
Sep '11

Christine - miso is supposed to taste salty because it is high in sodium. It is made from fermented soybeans and is rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals.

However, if you do not like it, the restaurant did the right thing and substituted something more suited to your taste.

That's good business!

Jules Jules
Sep '11

My husband and I made it to Little Tokyo for dinner last Friday. He is addicted to the yakisoba and I am addicted to the chicken katsu. Yummy! Our only disappointment was that the pickled ginger that came with the crab tempura roll was bottled this time. The homemade pickled ginger we've had there in the past was da bomb!

Aquarius Aquarius
Sep '11

Thanks Jules yes they said that. Besides I really should not be having too much sodium. Its just my taste thats all. I have absolutely loved everything else I have tried there.

Christine Christine
Sep '11

If it is a nobu chef then they need to re-evaluate their yakisoba. It was super over cooked and just the same exact sauce as the nagimaki. That was a huge fail as we order them as apps together and as such had the side by side of exact same taste. They're cooked food isn't nearly as good as Fujiyama, but the sushi, though slightly higher priced is somewhat better

muffin muffin
Sep '11

I went with my grandparents and bf about a week ago, and we loved it! BF doesn't even eat sushi but liked theirs. I'd definitely go back again.

Heather Heather
Sep '11

I gotta get back there. Sushi is wonderful, and I'm new to it. Brought an awesome bottle of saki to go with it. Really enjoyable new place.

Bruin Bruin
Sep '11

One of my favorite places to eat in Hackettstown. I love the Tempora and how crispy the Veggies and Shrimp are. I always sit at the Sushi bar and wish I could eat there every day and try everything on the menu. Hope to get back soon.

Sep '11

Was disappointed, had tempora and it was not up to par. Miso soup was blah... I will try again though, perhaps try some other things on the menu, Love Japanese food and maybe this was just an off night

and so on and so on
Sep '11

My husband and I went there recently and loved it! We are not sushi people, but the chicken dishes with noodles were awesome and we will go there again for sure! Hmm...maybe the chicken I took out for dinner tonight can wait until tomorrow...=)

Natalie
Sep '11

I know I've posted a good review about Little Tokyo in the past. Just wanted to mention that my family was there again tonight and everything was fantastic again. We really enjoyed the sushi last time and found it to be even better tonight. The staff were very friendly and a delight! We ordered enough food to get it on a sushi boat which my kids got a kick out of. Overall, fantastic food, fantastic ambiance, excellent experience, and a great evening out.

Ookla the Mok Ookla the Mok
Sep '11

Japanese food turns me off.

apple apple
Sep '11

"Japanese food turns me off"

Why Grasshopper?

Jackson Jackson
Sep '11

Coupons in the money mailer this week!

htownchik htownchik
Oct '11

Jackson - I don't really care for a lot of fish. And I can not bring myself to eat raw fish.

Thank you for asking though.

apple apple
Oct '11

Little Tokyo on Mountain Ave is a GREAT little restaurant. No, it is not nearly as costly as Fugiyama. The food is GREAT. I've been there several times and am NEVER disappointed. I don't eat sushi either but that is NOT an excuse not to go there.

Betty Betty
Jul '12

Great food a must try!

I'm happy to know the food is good. Went to Minado last night for sushi and I swear they use MSG. My boyfriend and I were SOOOOO thirsty afterward we couldn't even drink anymore water cos at that point we were so full! Can't wait to try Little Tokyo. :)

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '12

Little Toyko is great! For individual rolls, I found their prices were actually about the same a Fujiyama. But I think that LT has better California rolls.

Peaches Peaches
Jul '12

The Japanese place in Budd Lake was called Yokohama and it was great!

grubster grubster
Jul '12

With all the chatter about Japanese Food, I finally went to Fujiyama this evening. We had the best meal ! It was everything I thought it would be...thank you all for the recommendation. Now going to try Little Toyko in a week or two....:)

bowie bowie
Jul '12

-Wild Angel

Me too!! Every time I go to Minado I get very thirsty too! and too full to drink! LOL! I have not been to Minado for years.

If anyone want the ultimate Japanese and seafood buffet you must try Ichi Umi in Edison. http://www.ichiumi.com/ We only go on special occasions (4x per year). Price is high but you get what you pay for. Dinners are $32 per/person but I hate that they charge little kids (as young as 10) an adult. Oh! and no MSG, no thirst afterwards.

Anonymously2
Jul '12

I go to Minado every once in awhile and I never have a problem. Maybe they use MSG, I will have to ask next time I go. Love the lunch, so much food for one price and it is resonable.
I enjoy Little Tokyo and feel at home there. The food is excellent and the prices are good.

Jul '12

My wife and I go to Minado and never had a problem. The price is reasonable and you can try a vast assotment of rokls and hibachi items

melof-7 melof-7
Jul '12

The horror stories about MSG are more hype than reality... I kind of like it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/monosodium-glutamate/AN01251

Did you know that the Japanese consider the glutamate sensation in your mouth as a 5th separate "taste" in addition to sweet, sour, salty and bitter? They call it "umami".

ianimal ianimal
Jul '12

Thanks ianimal for that info. I have only had a headache once from MSG and that was many years ago at a Chinese restaurant in the Morris County Mall in Cedar Knolls NJ. I haven't had one since.

Jul '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.