Recycle old Fire Extinguishers

Do you know where I can recycle an old Fire Extinguisher?

I would think the hazardous waste collection days at the Warren County Landfill.

Give these folks a call on Monday perhaps they can steer you in the right direction. They are here in town and are fire equipment experts.

https://www.cainandsons.com/

If you find out anything, please let us know. I have two old ones and have been wondering the same thing.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Dec '23

Check the label - if it only contains water, CO2, or a dry chemical (sodium or potassium bicarbonate) just spray it out (or use it to teach children how to operate them) and then toss the cylinder in with standard metal recycling (may want to try to unscrew the top so it’s evident that it contains no more pressure)..

Don’t do that with halon or some other weird chemical, but chances are if it’s a household extinguisher it’s just inert contents.

(Note that CO2 will dissipate, but the dry chemicals will make a big cloud of white dust, so be considerate of neighbors and do it in a large backyard/wooded area when there’s no wind).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '23

Since we're on the topic of recycling questionable items, does anyone know what to do with old helium tanks? In particular, the mini ones that you would buy from Party City or Walmart for DIY balloons (I think they're named "Balloon Time"). I have 3 empty canisters just sitting in my garage and I have no clue what to do with them.

highpitch
Dec '23

Those Balloon Time canisters come with the recycling instructions.

Essentially you empty it, remove the fill valve, then with a screwdriver peel off the disk indicated on the top then place in normal can recycling.

https://www.balloontime.com/resources/recycle-or-store/

Thanks Greg!

highpitch
Dec '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Recycle old Fire Extinguishers
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.